MT: Server Repurpose: General Discussions/Complaints/I Quits

Moonie1

It's their first go round and to be fair they did make a really great game.  They deserve their criticism, but really we can just hope they learned from all of this.  All of these AAA game developers out there and blah blah blah blah....I play Ark.  I hardly play other games and I bet I won't at all once Ragnarok finally hits console.

What they did here as op stated is really bad.  Never sticking to a deadline is awful.  Having their game open to constant ddos attacks and duping for this long....I don't think it gets much worse than that....and honestly I think that's why they want a wash of the Legacy Servers.  There are a million things they could have done better, but after the dust clears the game is still awesome and this is still their first round making games.  They can't keep this up in the future and be successful as people will turn their backs on them, but if they learn from all of this we have a winner on our hands IMO

Also in before joeblow.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Beatties said:

Ragnarok on Official is worth starting over, its a fantastic map and its pretty much self contained.

Starting over so you can ovis-tame a bunch of carnivores to server tame cap in a month, and then get your server wiped a couple months later because nobody logs in except to feed their dinos...

Beatties - at 76h playtime you are either remarkable to be taming gigas/squid or its more unlikely you have experience of it. As for Rag its completely pillared, laggy as hell and in the case of 59 completely down for days on end with no explanation.

Gobbo - The options are not the options we were told we would have (and completely transparent that the rest will be gone shortly)

Alright guys, I'm done. 

I can't even begin to wrap my head around how much time I put into this game. It's ridiculous really. I know it is an early access game. Being early access we can say "This is all just part of early access" "It's a beta" all that junk. Sure. Fine. We can let them, and those who for some reason still support Wildcard, make those excuses. 

I was always the one who supported Wildcard's weird calls. I convinced friends to keep playing because I thought the best interests of the game were being held in a high regard. I trusted that Wildcard would be straight with us. This was an obvious mistake.

The server shut down is too much for me. The lack of notice is too much for me. Wildcard not being honest with the people who made this game possible is too much for me. 

I'm done with Ark. I bought it on launch day, and I more than got my moneys worth. After all of this though, I don't trust Wildcard anymore. I don't trust them with my time, and I've already given them so much of it. Good luck to everyone staying on this game, and good luck to Wildcard. 

Communication and PR has been their biggest weakness, for me it should have been set in stone early on that it was EARLY ACCESS and once all bugs, exploits & other problems were ironed out all servers would be wiped on full release, that way players could either choose to leave or play fully knowing that they'd eventually lose everything and have to start from fresh at some point.

At the end of the day it's a business decision, albeit a poorly communicated one, servers cost money to run and everything will already be budgeted for, they could have kept all the original servers, had them fully supported plus opened up a load of new servers but then had to turn them all off one, two or however many years earlier than planned for once the money has dried up, they could have done a full wipe and had all current servers starting from fresh fully supported or the worst option which is what they have finally chosen to do.

In my opinion their hand has been forced by a crying player base who have a massive sense of entitlement and don't want to lose their precious pixels, for WC's part, they've been too weak in not laying the law down early on in the game's development then following it up with poor communication because they didn't want to upset the apple cart.

9 minutes ago, Fealthion said:

Beatties - at 76h playtime you are either remarkable to be taming gigas/squid or its more unlikely you have experience of it. As for Rag its completely pillared, laggy as hell and in the case of 59 completely down for days on end with no explanation.

Gobbo - The options are not the options we were told we would have (and completely transparent that the rest will be gone shortly)

PS4

8 minutes ago, GobboKirk said:

What options are you missing?

You can transfer off, you can download and host a copy of the server, you can choose to start over on new servers.
What am I missing here? (Honest question)

The server files are not currently available (and its debatable if they will keep that promise after breaking so many others) you can transfer your toons/dinos and maybe some resources off but you cant move your base so any migrants are at a HUGE disadvantange. In our case my tribe loses its SE base and despite investigating options cannot find a server that isnt already at 'build' capacity.

Any items lost in the migration process including toons now have no way of recovery (no support) and lets face it ALL the legacy servers will be gone soon enough so migration is a sticking plaster at best.

WC hope to divide the community enough that they can ignore those who have played it without impacting sales to too high a degree

1 minute ago, Fealthion said:

The server files are not currently available (and its debatable if they will keep that promise after breaking so many others) you can transfer your toons/dinos and maybe some resources off but you cant move your base so any migrants are at a HUGE disadvantange. In our case my tribe loses its SE base and despite investigating options cannot find a server that isnt already at 'build' capacity.

Any items lost in the migration process including toons now have no way of recovery (no support) and lets face it ALL the legacy servers will be gone soon enough so migration is a sticking plaster at best.

WC hope to divide the community enough that they can ignore those who have played it without impacting sales to too high a degree

I am gonna ignore your speculations, but what you're saying here is exactly what they said would happen.

I do agree with your prediction that the legacy servers will die out though, but that was sort of inevitable with release of the new servers.

If I was affected I'd probably just wait for download and host the old server on my own cluster.

this looks like passive aggressive tactics (something I think I may have posted about before the kill list was published)

they're making people migrate en mass to other nearly full capacity servers or servers with prominent pillar issues. they're cutting out support so that complaints cant be logged in regards to established or new players being penned in.

players will then loose interest and start playing new servers. in 3 months another pass over the servers will be made, more kill lists added, more disgruntled players.

it will then be a rinse and repeat exercise until a few die hard servers remain. at this point it will be a case of "o'well" and the remainers get wiped or some compassion is actually presented and they merge those servers with the "new" servers.

If I am honest I think they should just wipe the servers and call it a day, the stance they're taking is like exsanguinating a corpse

They selling it and try to make it look good . Its publicity like ads. 

Taking Down Low Pop Servers
These lower population servers make up about 33% of the existing online servers, with calculations based on sustained player-count as well as popularity of game mode. These servers will be taken offline and be re-purposed for new, fresh servers that will be put up on launch day. Any existing server that is not considered a low pop server and is not taken down will become a Legacy server. 

Do you see what they did there "These servers will be taken offline and be re-purposed for new, fresh servers that will be put up on launch day." I wonder what they mean by fresh. Fresh like an old apple that you clean but she is not really fresh you just cleaned it at the base it the same old apple . I mean really  God job WC. Half of the population really think they are new server. 

You can try as you want i wont buy sand when i sit in a sandbox.

1 hour ago, GobboKirk said:

I see no reason to change my current one to negative.
Everyone should have known what was going to happen and they get several options how to proceed next.

Yeah, because people aren't duping, because nobody is DDOSing, because the support is amazing, you can't lose a character you invested a lot of time, you know, the game is perfect.

3 minutes ago, GobboKirk said:

Played both, since launch day.
Never said there wasn't issues, I know most of them, doesn't change anything I stated.

I don't play PvE, but from what I've seen, some servers are dino caped, pillars was a thing (I don't know how they do it now), people griefing bringing gigas and titanos over to your base.

PvP, you have to be in an alpha tribe with 50+ people if you wanna succed, if you're big enough and you're fighting another tribe chances are that the server  will get DDOSed, playing in a disadvantage because of people duping, getting offline raided, etc

And if that ain't making you change the review, well, you're ignoring a lot of issues that new players don't know and could waste 60€ because maybe they leave when they know some of them. Like, you know, losing your character in which you imprinted a lot of dinos, per example, gigas that take 13 irl days to grow.

1 minute ago, Megar said:

I don't play PvE, but from what I've seen, some servers are dino caped, pillars was a thing (I don't know how they do it now), people griefing bringing gigas and titanos over to your base.

PvP, you have to be in an alpha tribe with 50+ people if you wanna succed, if you're big enough and you're fighting another tribe chances are that the server  will get DDOSed, playing in a disadvantage because of people duping, getting offline raided, etc

You're not saying anything I don't know.

Archived