Introducing the Oncorhynchus!

Jatheish

1 minute ago, DahDerpasaur said:

Well, I don't hate it, it just angers me that two people managed to get it in when literally almost most of the fanbase wants the basilo.

Small numbers really can accomplish a lot. Pretty sure the suggestion just gave the devs a really great idea so they decided to toy with it and it became this.

I wouldn't worry too much about Basilo tbh, with the amount of support it has, it's probably got a free ticket for the Ark. ^^^

6 minutes ago, FaneBlackwing said:

Well, they won't bother you unless you want them to. Attacking one will result in the rest of their school to go on the offensive and essentially, try to drown you!

Fun!

And they swim away at first, so accidentally hitting one of them shouldn't be a common occurrence. We'll see though :P

4 hours ago, DahDerpasaur said:

Well, I don't hate it, it just angers me that two people managed to get it in when literally almost most of the fanbase wants the basilo.

This is kind of an obnoxious way of thinking tbh. To say that only two people requested it, is a bit of an exaggeration, and even if it were true, then that would mean that the devs really wanted to add it. There's literally no point getting pissy over what animals they chose to add, or what order they reveal them in honestly.

Many more people wanted it, to be honest. I find it kinda refreshing that we got something for smaller niche (with new material included) instead of "ANOTAH MOSASAUR, ONLY BIGGAH". You know, it's getting kinda crowded around, I already think that Titanosaurus is a bit of a stretch (geez, don't want to think what that thing will do to a forest)... but hey doesn't mean, that we won't see Basilo. 

Also you want to know small secret? People who are indifferent or content about things are usually quieter than those who hate on something. I assure you they were more people wanting that little thing than you'd expect. 

So keep it civil, guys.

Just now, Havelock said:

Many more people wanted it, to be honest. I find it kinda refreshing that we got something for smaller niche (with new material included) instead of "ANOTAH MOSASAUR, ONLY BIGGAH". You know, it's getting kinda crowded around, I already think that Titanosaurus is a bit of a stretch (geez, don't want to think what that thing will do to a forest)... but hey doesn't mean, that we won't see Basilo. 

Also you want to know small secret? People who are indifferent or content about things are usually quieter than those who hate on something. I assure you they were more people wanting that little thing than you'd expect. 

So keep it civil, guys.

+1 This is sooooo true.

The minority may seem like the minority only because of how quiet they are. The majority only seems like the majority because of how loud they are. For example you have a room with 20 little kids and 30 young adults, the little kids are running all over the place and being noisy and obnoxious while the young adults are sitting quietly. It'll feel like the majority of people in the room are little kids because of what is going on.

Just a little analogy.

I myself enjoy the school fish aspect, but since Oncorhynchus was much bigger than they are leading on, it slightly disappoints me they chose it to fill that niche . Either way we're getting a new addition to Ark so there's no room for complaining, honestly! (:

Another reason that the sabertooth salmon dossier was released first could be that they need more easy ressources of fish meat when they introduce the new aquatic life cycle. Or they put more effort into the other dossiers and work out something more difficutl to give them a new special use and make them look cool just like they did with the titanosaurus. Because more people wanted a Basilo for example, they probably just put more time into development so the majority is satisfied.

Edit: Probably they will work out another use for the sabertooth salmon. Since the Coel will be available in different sizes, the same thing could happen to the sabertooth salmon so that the big ones could reach about 9 feet and are tameable and ridable then.

16 minutes ago, Willtock said:

Will it be a saltwater fish or a a freshwater fish?

It's not mentioned in the dossier, but I can quite see Direbears hunting them in the rivers :P

yea, this.

might be replacing the Coelacanth in one of them. Feel like the Coelacanth is more of a salt water fish then the salmon. But as modern salmon have a transformation they might be appearing everywhere.

I am happy they are adding this guy. I personally think they need to add more small fish or other small aquatic animals to give the ocean and rivers diversity. The land is crowded and the same can be said for big ocean animals. The game is still lacking small to medium fish or other aquatic animals so much so that I hope that most of the final dossiers will be aquatic. With maybe one or two new flyiers. 

4 hours ago, Ktulusanders said:

This is kind of an obnoxious way of thinking tbh. To say that only two people requested it, is a bit of an exaggeration, and even if it were true, then that would mean that the devs really wanted to add it. There's literally no point getting pissy over what animals they chose to add, or what order they reveal them in honestly.

Or really much of anything regarding this game honestly.

47 minutes ago, I Want MY Burd said:

On one hand, I find the animal itself and its implementation kinda boring.  On the other hand, it seems like it's mostly intended for ambiance, which people have been asking for more of in the Ark's waters - it doesn't do anything unless it's attacked.  Plus, finding them both in the ocean and in the rivers won't break immersion since real life salmon can survive in either.

Hmm, I wouldn't say ambiance, usually those creatures you can't really interactive with.

Pretty much everything recent has been testing some sort of mechanic - maybe it's testing bleed mechanic with bandages coming soon?

10 hours ago, Brodart said:

What I'm upset about is the wasted potential. This creatures only purpose is to be a resource, when it could have been so much more.

the dev have been talking about a fish ressource and prime fish for a while now, im not surprise with this.

lots of dino dossier talk about some of them eating fish and not meat. once this is in-game. there taming mechanic is gonna change to this. so running after a hungry school of fish is gonna be hard and required taming see dino just to help. im loving it.