No support for legacy servers? Seriously?

Kamala

12 minutes ago, crasht01 said:

The legacy servers will still get patched and updated so they will still fix bugs we just cant tell them if they are fixed or not,we can't provide feed back to them they miss out on data their loss. The main problem is the enforcement of their TOS and how trolls will have a picnic and ruin the game for new players who land on a legacy server and get trolled that will probably result in a bad review and a new customer will walk and then talk the game down, bad publicity all around now 1 or 2 players might not tip the scale but word of mouth is still a big form of free advertisement.  

I see this when new people join the legacy servers thing a lot. Just an FYI, on release Legacy is a walled garden. No new players will be able to join them. They probably won't even be able to see those servers, but Wildcard hasn't been that specific yet & I doubt they will be. 

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

I see this when new people join the legacy servers thing a lot. Just an FYI, on release Legacy is a walled garden. No new players will be able to join them. They probably won't even be able to see those servers, but Wildcard hasn't been that specific yet & I doubt they will be. 

They most definitely said that new players can join them.

There is some perspective that needs to be had on this issue. Most games don't even give you a support ticket system that you can expect a response from in any reasonable amount of time. You only payed around $20 for the game and that stuff takes man hours and facilities to maintain.

More importantly, it should have been obvious that an early access game might end up with them wiping everyone's progress. Such games are buggy and prone to exploits, so it really detracts from the game's health in the long run if those who capitalized on those early on are able to maintain the profits of those exploits. They really don't owe anyone to keep those servers alive and it would not be a "screw you" if they just shut down all legacy servers and provided you with save files. The fact that they are keeping a bunch of them alive amounts to them providing free hosting and maintenance.

2 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

They'll be able to see them, they did say they would be clearly marked as legacy. The issue is whether they know what legacy means in the whole scope of things. But to be honest, I doubt they would even stay on them with older players pretty much crowding the servers that are currently left.

22 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

They most deffintely said that new players can join them.

Sorry, took a minute to find this. Quoting Jeremy here. If you read the article, it's clear they intend to regularly wipe the Legacy's. How do you do that if you let new players on???

"We don't know exactly what servers those are yet but it's literally servers that have no player population. By taking those servers down and doing that on a regular basis going forward—"

"So, if we follow that through on a regular basis going forward, it becomes viable for us to not have an ever-increasing pool of servers in the long term. We feel that that is the kind of approach, at least on the legacy servers, that will enable us to have these legacy servers."

http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolveds-design-lead-on-huge-server-wipe-reversal-and-new-structure-post-pc-launch/

On 8/24/2017 at 1:52 AM, WWilson said:

They have your money now why would they care.

Express your displeasure with tanking their steam rating and update with every new version.

Remind them who pays their bills.

How are you paying their bills perse? You paid once, maybe twice for the game. They hoof the bill for you to play on an official server.

I don't like this poop either, but dial back the entitlement a bit.

36 minutes ago, JuicyJuuce said:

There is some perspective that needs to be had on this issue. Most games don't even give you a support ticket system that you can expect a response from in any reasonable amount of time. You only payed around $20 for the game and that stuff takes man hours and facilities to maintain.

More importantly, it should have been obvious that an early access game might end up with them wiping everyone's progress. Such games are buggy and prone to exploits, so it really detracts from the game's health in the long run if those who capitalized on those early on are able to maintain the profits of those exploits. They really don't owe anyone to keep those servers alive and it would not be a "screw you" if they just shut down all legacy servers and provided you with save files. The fact that they are keeping a bunch of them alive amounts to them providing free hosting and maintenance.

Yeah but we were told about a year ago and then again a month ago that they will not be wiping servers and only a couple of weeks ago said only 10% are getting wiped and now more than 50% with a few days notice and being told these servers are no longer being supported. I see that as a massive screw you and people have every right to be pissed about it imo.

They said there will be no customer support for legacy servers... But was it there to begin with? Their entire CS was and is a terrible joke. The ticket I sent in May was not even aknowledge by WC. Now they think they can do better for new servers without hiring more staff, apparently. This is beyond ridiculous. It's pathetic. I do wish it would blow up in their face after premiere, because it seems they don't want to learn easy way.

40 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

They said there will be no customer support for legacy servers... But was it there to begin with? Their entire CS was and is a terrible joke. The ticket I sent in May was not even aknowledge by WC. Now they think they can do better for new servers without hiring more staff, apparently. This is beyond ridiculous. It's pathetic. I do wish it would blow up in their face after premiere, because it seems they don't want to learn easy way.

Last year and the year (month?) before that, before they obviously decided to stop supporting legacy servers, every ticket I put it was answered and addressed. Lost character? Returned. Lost giga? Returned. Players blocking us with rafts/pillars? Fixed. Players kiting wild dino's to us in order to grief us? Banned. 

I'm 100% positive that the decision to no longer support legacy servers was made many months ago, if not some time mid-to-late last year, and wasn't just made at the time of the announcement. Your ticket in May wasn't acknowledged because it was already decided that you will receive no support.

11 hours ago, powerstuck said:

While I agree with what you say in your ''As a developer'' paragraph, I believe you could understand why some of ''Official servers'' folks are skeptical. These devs never showed they were able to fix those glitches and dupes. How do we know it...because the more time passed the more glitches and dupes there was. So suddenly we're to expect these devs to finally have a fool proof solution to what has happening a for at least a year. 

If they had a REAL solution to duping, alpha/beta stage was the time to implement it. Of course they couldn't have ELIMINATED every single duped item, but they would have stopped further duping. But, if you sniff a little around the net, you can easily find proof that if anything, duping got worse and worse. 

Maybe you believe in them, but I honestly have my doubts. 

Oh, I agree... and thought about broaching that subject, but I didn't want to bite off more than the immediate thread concern.

We can all be rationally skeptical that there is 'magic code' for the new servers because that isn't how software and infrastructure work.From a QA standpoint, there only way to be sure new code works is to put it out into the field for testing. Makes sense, right? Well, for network data hardening, it is an absolute requirement to to hit that code HARD.... like DDOS hard. There is much that can be done internally to reproduce this. But... what they cannot easily reproduce is the active dynamics of server players, each of which contribute diverse data elements(item db records with interact with the game code) the would respond to the attacks. This is how the duped(and therefore corrupted) records occur.

Had they raised NEW servers during the pre-live, with the presumed code and infrastructure changes, we could has some sense of the Live servers that were different from the older legacy. Who knows... maybe they did do this and we just don't know. I don't know enough about the rate of dupe/attacks on a server by server basis to be able to say it is uniform across all clusters. But, I have to assume that if they do have a scattering of hardened test servers hidden in the whole, that they got mixed results or they would have shown a spotlight on them to say "See! We got this!"

All that said, there were bad choices made, both in PR and the technical/feature set. If may offend the libertine gamer to hear this, but unrestricted cross server PvP is the straw that breaks the code. The entire system of server transfer NEEDED to be something that had to be gated thru MONEY. You see, if there is a value to be had by cross server raiding, either in dominance, revenge, grief thrill, or resources... then it should be paid for by some other value(money). This naturally reduces the ease of grief/exploit events, while still allowing the enjoyment potential of the feature. Less bad events mean a more management support system. 

Anyway... I digress...

8 minutes ago, mmart said:

You paid for game with ability to join servers.  Servers were given to you free, you did not pay for them.  WC didn't make rule our free official servers will stay untouched forever.  You can play old age of conan and pay for premium access to server and then make demands. 

that game whent free  to becasue they messed it up at failcom... because they also did not listen to the players and now try to get the most out of the game by payments instead of subs because subs dropped big time.... 

8 minutes ago, mmart said:

You paid for game with ability to join servers.  Servers were given to you free, you did not pay for them.  WC didn't make rule our free official servers will stay untouched forever.  You can play old age of conan and pay for premium access to server and then make demands. 

I'd like to address this...

Yep. You are 100% correct. You Get What You Pay For. And before anyone talks about the 'box' fee, I can tell you as a certainty... that 29.95 or 59.95 did not and could not cover the salaries of dedicated employees to provide concierge server support ticketing over the months or years of your choice to play the game on THEIR servers.. That is an ongoing fee, and no flat fee business model provides ongoing support like that. You do not have a right to a value you did not pay for. Period. 

That being understood... it is ALWAYS bad for a company to deliver a BAD product. If you cannot provide a good product for free, then charge something for something in order to provide a GOOD product... so that all elements of what you provide are good. As much as people love getting something for free, most people have no problem exchanging value for a value that is greater for them.

Thus endith the sermon. ;)

Archived