Did we deserve it?

Sonoske

I hear a lot of talk of DDoSing because of duping or angry tribes leaving servers down. But i wanted to step back to the first year and and a half of Ark on Xbox.

My tribe had roughly 50 active members on throughout the day and we usually had to order lower ranking tribe mates to log off to get in. We were a HUGE alpha tribe and i policed the server (My Server) like the Sheriff of Nottingham. I was fair, i set restrictions on Gigas and Battle Quetz as well as a weekly Tax. We were feared, Loved and well Hated.

The amount of work we put in was insane. We had the buggest bases in the best spots. To the point back then as truely unraidable. But we did eventually lose our spot.

A tribe moved in and then came the 4 month DDoS war. Any time we were raided and brought gear and tames out the server would shut down or individual memebers that had previously joined parties with spies or members of the DDoSing tribed would get hit off. This allowed them to knock us off of Quetz and Gigas, Rexes, Argies etc. They could then kill and loot the Afk Battlefield.

We wiped them offline maybe 4 or 5 times but the damage they could do if they were on or attacking us was tenfold. Kicking us out or holding the server off.

We got to a point where we gave in and cease fired. Worked with them but as you probably already figured out it did not last long. So eventually we were forced to pull our resources and abandon our 8 plus bases into a laggy as **** tower/wall of death. This did not last long either. Because members of our tribe decided to quit. It came down to a few members and admins. And eventually i had enough...

Friends that quit would still get hit on other games during our wars on ark. Since this DDoSing tribe had a list of just about every members IP. I had enough. One night against the vote if my remaining tribe i took tge initiative. I invited them into the tribe and admined them. I then demoed everything and they took over.

Im the end they cleared their IP list. We stopped getting hit and they became the invincible alpha tribe.

A lesser of two evils i say. Did our corrupted way of leading the server deserve to be crushed this hard?

Should we have kept it up until they gave up.

What do you think. To this day i regret insiding my own tribe to save others from constant DDoSing. But in the end 90% of us just had enough.

Yeah, lost some friends in the process but kept the others safe u suppose.

I checked up on the server frequently. They were more brutal then us. In the end they got insided and invaded from another server. But i moved to hosting my own server after that. I still run into ddosing but it much easier ti handle as i have god powers and my own VPN for my server.

1 minute ago, Sonoske said:

The saddest part was members that quit reported to me that they uninstalled the game because they had gotten Swatted. This sent more fear down the ranks and ultimately led to our downfall.

If that's true, that's a whole other level of criminal activity. It's bad enough to have people's ip's and ddos them, but to swat them...wow!! 

I am by no means one that dabbles in the Dark Side of the Interwebs.

I am however what one would call a Whitehat. I know a great deal about the methods and how it is done as well as how to Prevent or fix it. Be it hacking, ddosing, swatting, or spreading viruses.

In truth their is no way to prevent it now or back then. If someone can hit hard enough the server will go down. As for catching the people involved it is also a needle in a hay stack. Even for swatting.

If said person was not carful enough or caused physical or financial hardship of more than $5000 then maybe you would be the lucky few that get the US Cyber Department on it.

None the less i have been mostly out of the scene, but i have seen new ways to cyber attack and with advancing technology it is a neverending battle.

Even if they get high end ddos mitigation on these servers it will actually make it worse. The big boys of Cyberspace will want to test their methods on the servers because its a juicy target.

But who knows. If wildcard does it right they may be able to slow it. At least enough to stop squeakers and their web based DDoSers they pay 5 dollers a month for.

And people complain about getting their small base wiped by griefers... This is some wholly next level poop and all I can really say is I feel pretty bad for everyone that went through that.

Not that I ever to expect to be at a level where I'm a target for any of this nonsense, but kind of makes me want to stop playing games online. SOOOO nuts.

I don't think your behavior merited this kind of response. I'll be fair, I don't think running that degree of control over a server is a great thing (particularly that bit about the tax), but the appropriate response should have been combating you and your tribe through legitimate methods: raids, guerrilla warfare, heck even insiding you would have been better than people using DDOS to their advantage. Individuals who cheat, exploit, and so forth are really at the bottom of the gaming world bucket, in my opinion, and you've really got to go above and beyond at being a grade A+ jerk to even remotely deserve a response like that.

I am definitely not a fan of the type of alpha tribes who run servers in an overly entitled or domineering way, also not a fan of the whole "ordering lower ranked tribe members off the server" thing. If you consider yourself to "own" a server then I'd say you live and die by the sword if anyone bigger comes along.

However DDOSing and stalking players outside of the game are another matter entirely, no you did not deserve that and it sounds like you ultimately made the best decision you could in the interests of your friends and tribe mates, sorry to hear you lose to such underhanded tactics.

The methods people are willing to use in modern gaming today is insane. Swatting, DDOS, cheats and what not just to win a fictive war in a game? I don't get it - where's the fun in winning by cheating? It's a game for christ sake. 

I wonder what those people are willing to do in their real lifes - where things supposedly matter?

15 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Somebody please enlighten a relative term noob here, what is "swatting"? Curious

Its Literally calling a swat team onto someone in real life. if they have your IP,  they can approximately judge your location, and with a false excuse call the police to your house.

Swatting has been used against streamers too while they where broadcasting live. Just for the poops and giggles. 

EDIT; While I dont know the exact details how someone gets swatted, I dont think that an individual can bind your IP to your address, most likely they share your IP with the police which then in return gets a hold of your address through ISP records.

Did you deserve to be dealt with? Yes. Completely. The way in which you ran your server may have been ridiculous...I mean, taxes? I have't heard of that one in quite a while. People pay taxes in reality - I really don't think they want to hop into a game and continue to feel the same way with more restrictions.  

Did you deserve to be dealt with in such an unfair and childish manner that spans much further than the game itself, to the point of personally compromised security - even in unrelated games that you payed for? No, not at all. As stated above: That's criminal.

But this begs the question: What all were you doing to push things to that point? I feel like the extent in which things had escalated had some sort of catalyst that you may have been a tad vague about. I've seen many text wars in that global chat that just seem to build up to obscene climaxes.

They 

1 hour ago, Masurao said:

Did you deserve to be dealt with? Yes. Completely. The way in which you ran your server may have been ridiculous...I mean, taxes? I have't heard of that one in quite a while. People pay taxes in reality - I really don't think they want to hop into a game and continue to feel the same way with more restrictions.  

Did you deserve to be dealt with in such an unfair and childish manner that spans much further than the game itself, to the point of personally compromised security - even in unrelated games that you payed for? No, not at all. As stated above: That's criminal.

But this begs the question: What all were you doing to push things to that point? I feel like the extent in which things had escalated had some sort of catalyst that you may have been a tad vague about. I've seen many text wars in that global chat that just seem to build up to obscene climaxes.

They randomly came on the server one day. Their was a casual DDoSer that bragged about the lag he could cause and knocking players off for like a few minute. We wiped him a few times and he was not that big of a threat. We saw his argument with the DDoSing tribe. After said tribe said they just hit him off and we saw that he was off we reacted with justice against the DDoSers. We wiped them a few times. Then after about a week they were back in force.

It started by getting us all in their party to start some sort of alliance. We refused and that was that. I was on a VPN they could not hit and the other two leaders called their ISP for an IP change. Our Lt. logged in on his phones wifi then switched back. Our biggest mistake was greed. We let them build up so when we wiped them we would get something out of it. When that time came we hit them. They hit/restarted the server 5 times or so. In the end we wiped them and they killed an afk giga and some Argies.

They continued this time with more and more hits followed by threatening or promising recruitment to the smaller tax payers. They managed to get a lot of our members in parties. Then would invite the DDoSers. They would log IPs and threatened even more.

Eventually this turned into what i talked about in the OP.

It was complete crap. The war between us was brutal. More so they got very very big. Because they would advertise their failsafe. So when knocking the server off only they knew when exactly to connect. So it was hard to get the few we had in.

If we would have kept noob wiping them it is possible that they could have just moved on. But letting them Root themselves was a mistake. They held out for over 4 months of back and forth BS as well as the big cease fire that let us and them Recover.

Thats what happend in the background i suppose.

u seem surprised that people resort to underhanded tactics when you try to rule over them like a tyrant king , charging people tax and ordering people offline? just how inflated an ego do u need to actually do that in a videogame?  jeez makes me mad just thinking there are people on officials pulling this kinda BS.

Did you deserve to be wiped? Absolutely you did your tribe was everything that is wrong with Alpha tribes, I have been alpha tribe on every server I have played on since I started ark, never once have I taxed smaller tribes or imposed dino limits on them, it is a sure fire way to make enemies  and guarantee that when someone bigger comes to kill you most of them would join the invading tribe or most likely even invite them there and help them setup to remove you. Instead you should have tried being friendly building a relationship with other tribes and working together then maybe while you were all being attacked the other tribes would have had the resources dinos and capabilities to help you.

Being alpha is not just about having most bases and dinos bases always fall in my experience and dinos always die whether online or offline, I have made so many friends in this game by instead of enforcing crazy dino limits and taxing tribes helping them instead to the point that now whenever our server has been attacked the whole server has worked together to repel it.

I do however agree that being ddos and knocked offline is a terrible way to be beaten but sadly people will use whatever means they have at their disposal, people always seem to use crap ways to beat what is hard we have been wiped in past by people going under maps using dinos to push themselves into our bases, using Quetzal glitches to tank all turrets without taking damage the list goes on, but the difference is we never gave up and kept going until eventually we were back on top again with the aid of our many friends we have made.

There are some basic nuts and bolts that needs to be learned in order to play this game. People who don't do that tend to "live off somebody else". Then a griefer raids that individual and gains basic valuable metal tools easily used to raid bigger bases - in short owning a server with simply a metal hatchet or pike. 

An Alpha that charges a tax is a "good thing" in the sense they keep players on their toes - "pay or leave". People that bend the knee, pay the tax, tend to step up to the plate required to become truly good at this game, and are no longer a liability. 

Meanwhile ruling the Ark is a common mantra in this game of "Lord of the Flies ruling Jurassic Park". If you don't like one Alphas methods - leave the server. Not because I say so - it just is what it is.

There are plenty of servers to choose from. As a result I have heard and seen many rumors and complaints from players that are simply burnt out from "not learning". I have never experienced the amount of BS other people have witnessed - however I have learned quite a bit from my own mistakes and continue to do so. 

9 hours ago, Sonoske said:

I hear a lot of talk of DDoSing because of duping or angry tribes leaving servers down. But i wanted to step back to the first year and and a half of Ark on Xbox.

My tribe had roughly 50 active members on throughout the day and we usually had to order lower ranking tribe mates to log off to get in. We were a HUGE alpha tribe and i policed the server (My Server) like the Sheriff of Nottingham. I was fair, i set restrictions on Gigas and Battle Quetz as well as a weekly Tax. We were feared, Loved and well Hated.

The amount of work we put in was insane. We had the buggest bases in the best spots. To the point back then as truely unraidable. But we did eventually lose our spot.

A tribe moved in and then came the 4 month DDoS war. Any time we were raided and brought gear and tames out the server would shut down or individual memebers that had previously joined parties with spies or members of the DDoSing tribed would get hit off. This allowed them to knock us off of Quetz and Gigas, Rexes, Argies etc. They could then kill and loot the Afk Battlefield.

We wiped them offline maybe 4 or 5 times but the damage they could do if they were on or attacking us was tenfold. Kicking us out or holding the server off.

We got to a point where we gave in and cease fired. Worked with them but as you probably already figured out it did not last long. So eventually we were forced to pull our resources and abandon our 8 plus bases into a laggy as **** tower/wall of death. This did not last long either. Because members of our tribe decided to quit. It came down to a few members and admins. And eventually i had enough...

Friends that quit would still get hit on other games during our wars on ark. Since this DDoSing tribe had a list of just about every members IP. I had enough. One night against the vote if my remaining tribe i took tge initiative. I invited them into the tribe and admined them. I then demoed everything and they took over.

Im the end they cleared their IP list. We stopped getting hit and they became the invincible alpha tribe.

A lesser of two evils i say. Did our corrupted way of leading the server deserve to be crushed this hard?

Should we have kept it up until they gave up.

What do you think. To this day i regret insiding my own tribe to save others from constant DDoSing. But in the end 90% of us just had enough.

well except the swatting... you got what you deserved and its funny to see that someone teaches people like you a lesson. you bully around other people in an online game... there is allways a bigger and stronger one.  ark official servers are like the wild west. the strong ones survive. guess you wheren't that strong and tough then you thought after all.

for the ddosing: well i played more than half a year on official servers and it never happend to me. maybe because i am not bullying people around and act like i own the world. that doesnt mean i am ok with the whole ddos crap, but aparently people are begging to get hit hard with everything due to their behavior towards other players. so i personaly don't care if a rude bully alpha gets ddosed.

Archived