Building System Discussion

retrojoe

This isnt a suggestion, this is a query on peoples thoughts.

Is there going to be a rehaul of the building system or another look at it perhaps? As placement of structures are reverting to snap points which arent indicated and often leads to alot of wasted materials. Among many other issues.

Will the implementation of S+ fix any of this or will it just bring a broader range of anarchy to an already broken system?

This is more than addressing a mammoth in the room, this is a core part of ARK and needs to be working.

No replies to this? It must be too early in the morning.

Well said those are just some of the many issues with building in Ark. It is a huge problem because as said it is a core facet of the game. I personally wish the Ark Devs would go strike a deal with copyright owners of the game Landmark and implement their building system. The building in this game allows for much finer detail and has a template system which allows for complicated structures to be built and placed easily. It also allows the use of other players templates which enables those with less skill or patience the ability to still have an amazing structure.

Even the building system of a game like Fortnite offers a more enjoy building experience.

The building in Ark in its current state it feels like a remnant of an older and less developed part of the game. Many people give up on this game due to the building alone. I feel it would be a mistake not to prioritize and overhaul before the official launch.

In the second most recent digest, I believe the 47th the devs touched base on this. They have said that they are experimenting with the idea of implementing many things from structures plus. Obviously, this is a huge engineering feat so we probably won't hear about this for a while. Even though this would be great if it was implemented successfully, it could also be a huge failure.

Found the dev's response to the question.

We’re investing the possibility of including Structures+ as an officially integrated feature -- beyond an Officially Supported Mod, directly into the core game itself. No promises yet though, it depends on how much of a clean implementation it proves to be.

11 minutes ago, Cinnamongod said:

No replies to this? It must be too early in the morning.

"blinks" its 4am-7am in the usa right now, wait 10 hours or a friday night :P

But anyway back to ops topic, yes I agree that the building system needs some work (better snapping of slopped roofs for sure, this is my most hated thing) and more stuff too, personally wouldn't mind a 3d workbench preview and assemble a "complete" building preview (something placeable that can be walked on upgraded) or multiple parts together to be placed. Not sure if S+ will ever be added, I think it has too many clipping issues that would break pvp in a few ways but still would love to see it.

8 minutes ago, Cataclisto said:

But anyway back to ops topic, yes I agree that the building system needs some work (better snapping of slopped roofs for sure, this is my most hated thing) and more stuff too, personally wouldn't mind a 3d workbench preview and assemble a "complete" building preview (something placeable that can be walked on upgraded) or multiple parts together to be placed. Not sure if S+ will ever be added, I think it has too many clipping issues that would break pvp in a few ways but still would love to see it.

i ould love to see at least some version of s+ available for us console dedi admins . my most hated this is items placing on a non indicated snap point. what is the point of having the green hologram outline of the item your going to place if it wont place it there %40 of the time. ( %85 percent of statistics on the internet are made up btw :) )

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, Cataclisto said:

Clipping is no longer part of S+.  I know on our servers, we had to turn on the new server option that allows clipping in order to be able to place S+ building pieces like we did originally.

- Removed no collision code (put "bDisableStructurePlacementCollision=True" in your game.ini file if you wish to have no collision on your server)

However, there are definitely things that would not be implemented from S+ on official PVP, though having the options build into the core game and enabled/disabled on private servers, including consolses, would be nice.

My most hated issue is when the indicator is green, not moving, presuming thats where it should be placed then once clicked its not where the green indicator was, rather on a seperate wall or underneath/above the current ceiling.

I saw the digest, but I hadn't played for nearly a year and the building is just as buggy as it was. A few new pieces to the puzzle but the puzzle wants squares and you're given a dodecahedron divided by pi, add the earths spin speed then oh... it placed it over there?

Archived