Community Crunch 101 & ARK Digest 48: Introducing the Phoenix!

Jen

12 hours ago, Oldskool said:

The phoenix! I cant wait to see this in game. And it cooks meat and burns metal, slightly gutted it cant be mounted but still the hype is real! :Jerblove:

Don't we have a few creature said to be unable to be ridden in the dossier that have saddles and are able to be ridden?

I believe one of those is the spider.

I just saw @ arkjeremy on twitter state "Thinking about making Phoenix rideable. it's a fun bird but maybe even better that way" So it seems they want to please us even more, but here's the thing I also replied to him saying " If you do can we not have a default saddle? Can't we make it out of obsidian or crystal? So it realistically be worn by it's fire body"  It seems to be doing well with the minds of the ark community on twitter as they are backing up this idea.

It's requirements for crafting could be like this - 100x Obsidian , 50 Crystal, 50 metal or something along those lines. It'll give us more incentive to seek out obsidian as we will have different tiers like Ascendant to have to save for.

[SIDENOTE]

I also wanted to add that this saddle could be the start of something great. Different variety of Armored saddles. It shouldn't be just the default and platform saddles. I feel like having Hide, Chitin, Flak, Obsidian type of armored saddles would bring a whole new feel to the game especially towards the PvP side of things. It would potentially make it so we won't have to always get brontos or stegos or turtles to raid. It would be fun running around on a Thyla with armor on being able to tank solely on its own as u run to place C4 down or even if you're out gathering materials with a beaver and get ambushed.

What's your opinions on this idea?

Less than nine days till your late launch date and you clowns can't even say you're close.. I find the same glitches and mistakes that have been here mentioned and not touched since day one. We constantly lose gear, tames, time and effort because of your inabilities and neglect. Not one person I talk to has any confidence that you will meet your third or forth announced release date. Too busy trying to add more content that don't work, messing with sounds that don't matter or make sense. I can't believe Microsoft has allowed you this much unprofessional allowances. I'd have sued your company countless times for not being able to make any deadlines or leave anyone with satisfaction. I can't believe you let high school kids run your forums., their best skill is copy and paste,. I'm disgusted with this company,. I won't spend another cent on wildcard products until you fire your management or sell the company outright,.

• Volunteer Moderator
On 8/19/2017 at 8:24 PM, JurassicManager said:

Where do we go to submit questions for the ARK Digests?

You can submit questions here: 

And for everyone else, the Community Crunch is not the place to ask questions. If you have a question please post it in the ARK Digest Q&A linked above.

On 19.8.2017 at 5:45 AM, Wolf Angelus said:

On another note, and don't get the wrong idea, I am always thankful for prizes, but my friends (some who play ARK, some who don't, some who are builders too on various games) said I should post on it, I was trying not to, but peer pressure gave in and they said I should stand up for how much effort was put in and at least try. This is coming from them who have seen all I built, and check out the competition - they at this point feel there is some sort of bias against me here (regarding the building portion) as this is supposedly my best creation to date, (I personally rank it around 3rd or 4th best), and believe the result should not be what it is as the builds weren't comparable. In their words, this was a "has to win" creation (I did show them all entries earlier on this morning as i was completing mine). I can't say that I disagree with them, it does feel like there is a bias, or perhaps the video was not watched in full to see everything. I am mostly confused at the result.

Thanks if you can clear this up a bit. I really don't know what to tell them either and they aren't impressed with you guys that this seems to not be based on content vs content.

I'll try my best to remain civil and constructive about this, but i have to get this off my chest, as this is getting ridiculous..

Don't you ever tire, of complaining when you don't win?

You've complained multiple times in the past as well when one of your creations or showcases didn't make the cut.

What i see here is a case of entitlement.

In competitions, there is no entitlement, unless you win. However, you're never entitled to win.

If you can't stand losing, don't enter any competitions, cause some times you win, sometimes you lose. You deal with it, and move on.

I'm sorry if this came off as a bit harsh, not my intention!

22 hours ago, PhknDuker said:

Less than nine days till your late launch date and you clowns can't even say you're close.. I find the same glitches and mistakes that have been here mentioned and not touched since day one. We constantly lose gear, tames, time and effort because of your inabilities and neglect. Not one person I talk to has any confidence that you will meet your third or forth announced release date. Too busy trying to add more content that don't work, messing with sounds that don't matter or make sense. I can't believe Microsoft has allowed you this much unprofessional allowances. I'd have sued your company countless times for not being able to make any deadlines or leave anyone with satisfaction. I can't believe you let high school kids run your forums., their best skill is copy and paste,. I'm disgusted with this company,. I won't spend another cent on wildcard products until you fire your management or sell the company outright,.

Uh oh, someone is triggered

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2017 at 0:20 PM, GP said:

Wolf, i'm not speaking on behalf of Wildcard or the staff that judge the Crunch entries, I'm speaking as an avid viewer of the Community Crunch and a rare entrant in the competition.

Now in regards to the bias concern, i'll come on to that later. But lets have a look at the 3 entries for the ARKitect, as this is the category that you clearly spend a lot of time developing some pretty awesome designs (take note here, I complimented your work, that's something you never do for others).

All 3 videos have very unique designs, but all have one thing in common, they are videos showing off the arkitect design as opposed to screenshots of them. However, in my opinion, the ARKitect designs are not solely based on the actual design of the structure, nor is it based on the time taken to make the design. It is judged on imagination, creativity, uniqueness etc. So lets take a look at the 3 specific videos and what my thoughts of them are.

The City Challenge, Vanilla+ Base Tour by Flydive!
Now, I started watching this one first, purely because it was first in the Crunch as it was the winner. My first thought of it, was actually a "oh another one", not so much a negative thought, but a thought that so many of these ARKitect videos are just someone controlling the camera showing off the design and having background music. Now there's nothing wrong with that, but sometimes it's nice to see something a bit different, a bit more personal and unique. I carried on watching though because the first 30 seconds of a video is too soon to judge whether I want to continue watching. After 53 seconds I was greeted with an actual human being, who actually added the uniqueness to this video by providing us with a narrated tour of his design. It wasn't just a tour of the design though, it was a history he gave as to why he built the town, why it exists and why he built certain things. He gave some insight in to what his thought process was regarding some of the structures. For example, at 2:58 he talked about how he was thinking about Skyrim when designing the sawmill.

He also showed inside all the structures and gave us a guided tour of what the rooms are for. For example at 4:45 he explained the dining room and that it's where his guests will eat. These may appear as little things, but he's made it completely personal and entertaining to watch as it engages the viewer. I ended up watching the entire video and that is solely down to how he made the video more entertaining and unique for the viewer, because lets face it, making a video is designed for the viewership, not for winning money.

Now the creator of this design, Flydive, clearly put a lot of time and effort, not only in making the town, but also recording his narrated tour and making the video. And believe me making a video of a narrated tour can be a lengthy process particularly if mistakes are made as it makes more work during editing the video. So overall a lot of effort was put into this one to bring a more unique entry to the Crunch.

House Rangetsu - Inspired by Castle Himeji by Wolf Angelus!
Next up is your one which I watched second because that's the order it was on the page. My first thought was that the design was very impressive, and it is extremely large and you can clearly see the time and effort put in to it. However, the size and time spent doesn't necessarily mean everything. The video, for a start was very long, particularly for a video that is just of you controlling the camera with background music. I realise you explained this at the beginning of the video on the ARK noticeboards, but still it was very long. However, I am honest in saying I was very impressed with the design, there are not many that would be so dedicated, particularly to detail to create such a structure. I really liked some of the detail, like when you had the Rex dossier (or maybe Giga, can't remember) sitting on the table on display. However, the big difference between the two videos is the narrated tour part. There was absolutely no explanation in your video of what all the various rooms were for or anything like that, which made the video just become a case of watching a camera, which unfortunately was very laggy due to the sheer size of the structure (not your fault whatsoever) showing us around buildings at day and night with no detail of what we are actually seeing, and watching that for 23 minutes. It lacked engagement with the audience.

GoT: BUILDING THE SEVEN KINGDOMS Ragnarok | EP1 Pyke Castle | Ark Survival [ NO MODS ] by badassunicorn!
Next up Game of Thrones! Who doesn't love a bit of death, back stabbing and dragons! Now this may attract more interest from Game of Thrones fans, but it's based on something that is very popular and something that is very current right now. I must admit it started off really well as the music attracted me to it and got me all tingly inside as I know Monday night is soon approaching again, however, that's neither here nor there. I was pleasantly surprised to have another narrated tour video. As I said, there's nothing wrong with the camera tour and background music, but a narrated tour which isn't as common currently provides more of a personal touch and engages the viewer more, along with giving more explanation or insight in to the design and why that particular design was chosen. This design and video was clearly made by someone that enjoys GoT, and they used that to decide on what designs they should make, and I can guarantee you that a video comes off better when you are doing something you enjoy, and if something is done solely for money then you will not enjoy it anywhere near as much as if you were doing it because of the subject, and as a result it will show in the final result.

Both videos made by badassunicorn and flydive experienced very little lag. Now this is likely due to the size of the structures with your one being probably the biggest and therefore having more of an impact on performance. Of course PC systems will have an impact on that too. But, this just goes to show that size doesn't matter at all when it comes to ARKitect designs. It's all about the uniqueness, quality, imagination etc. I know more about the designs made by flydrive and badassunicorn than your one because they told us about it throughout their videos. This to me adds more to the experience of watching it, and everything should be included in the judging of the videos, and not just the actual design that has been made.

Judging those 3 videos I would have to say the decision on the winner was correct. I thoroughly enjoyed flydive's video and tour of the ARKitect design.

Now, on to the bias comment that you made. As I said i'm not speaking on behalf of Wildcard or the staff involved in the Crunch, but I can guarantee you with absolute certainty that there is no bias involved whatsoever. The bias issue is down to your paranoia and disagreement with the results. If you are paranoid that there is bias involved then i'm sorry but that is completely down to your own fault because of the way you present yourself each and every time the Crunch is here. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of viewers in this Crunch pass your videos by because of the way you act. And the sad thing is that the majority of people in this competition that enter their videos are looking at the exposure side of things rather than the money and most likely see any financial reward as an added bonus. Whenever I enter videos it's always about sharing my creation with viewers and gaining new viewers, I could care less about the money.

This time you posted you appear to come up with some story that peer pressure from your "friends" have made you post here. Now the reason I call it a "story" is not because I think you are lieing, but it is because everyone else will see it as a made up story to give you another opportunity to complain whilst putting the blame for it on your friends. Every single Crunch I read through I am expecting to find a similar post from you, and I am never surprised when I do. In the last Crunch you questioned, yet again, the decision making in the Crunch results and tried to claim that others were better than the winners, but at the same time stating you weren't talking about your own. You kept names out of it because you didn't want to single people out, but to me it seemed like you kept names out of it because you were actually talking about your own entry. So yet another deflection from your actual reason for complaining.

Now, you could call me paranoid for thinking all that, but the reason I think all that is because of you, and how you act each and every time the Crunch is here. And if I am thinking that, then I can guarantee you others are too. Nobody likes your kind of attitude in a fun and friendly competition. You never comment positively on other people's work, you never give praise to anyone, you don't see this as a friendly competition.

I am sure that it takes a lot of time for the staff that judge the entries in this competition, because lets face it there are a ton of entries that need to be looked at and watched and judged, and then this Crunch needs to be compiled. That is a hell of a lot of work, and as a result for all that work, they then come here and see you post negatively towards their work of judging all the entries just because you didn't win. I mean you came runner-up for christ sake, that's second place. The only difference between first place and second place is the financial reward. Second place gets the same amount of exposure as first place, therefore it all comes down to the money and that is the only reason you are here.

There is no bias here, it is just people enjoying the creativity of the Crunch and recognition being given out to those that participate. Wildcard are the ones that pay you financial rewards for your creations, yet you pay them back with negativity, complaints and accusations of bias.

I hope you took the time to read through this Wolf, because it took me a long time to write it and remain respectful.

Thank you GP this was needed for sure. There has been many players, including myself who think this every single crunch and a lot of people, again including myself, have quit over this negativity.

I keep writing and deleting posts as I do not want to be the one coming of as negative or seen as someone who singles out one player. 

Don't think he will read it or even react to it, but others will thank you for calling him out.

And to all winners and players featured you guys keep on amazing me with your creativity and general awesomeness :)

So if my server is one being wiped are you going to replace all the tek structures used, tek isn't like making a stone gate it is more resources that are harder to obtain and on my server I have three tek transmitters place so players who have it unlocked can use at the very least you should make all tek structures on servers that are to be wiped able to be picked up I feel this would be far since we are not aloud to transfer out element to another server also only having about 7 days to find a new server won't be easy seeing as a lot of ppl will have to be finding a server and will place a lot of servers very close to dino cap.