How big can a map be?

Jamagh

Here is an odd question to modders and devs. Or peopel that know the answers to weird things. How big can you make an ARK map? I know the center map is said to be around 70km squared. It is bigger than the island. And from what I read before the new areas added in Ragnarok was 144km squared.

Not sure if it has been done... or tried but I was wondering if you could possibly make a map with each area as a separate land mass. A center ragnarok SE and island super map? Probably lag like you would not believe and take up a huge amount of space on a HD, but would be neat to see it done.

8 hours ago, Jamagh said:

Here is an odd question to modders and devs. Or peopel that know the answers to weird things. How big can you make an ARK map? I know the center map is said to be around 70km squared. It is bigger than the island. And from what I read before the new areas added in Ragnarok was 144km squared.

Not sure if it has been done... or tried but I was wondering if you could possibly make a map with each area as a separate land mass. A center ragnarok SE and island super map? Probably lag like you would not believe and take up a huge amount of space on a HD, but would be neat to see it done.

That's what I wanted to make, but can't find partners for it. Map with several Islands

For the PVP aspect I can see a BGH map being a good idea.

I would attempt to make a combo map with all four area if I knew anything about modeling. Last time I tried to do anything with the dev kit I got frustrated just trying to find the grinder and place items. I can only imagine the complete nightmare making a map would be for someone that does not know what they are doing.

3 hours ago, Dinopolis said:

Kinda surprised there wasn't a big game hunters type of map created by the community for the sole purpose of pvp unless there was already one created. For those that didn't play Starcraft a BGH map was just one with heavy resources on every corner of the map.

Perhaps it was a year ago, but someone had theorycrafted map ideas and game modes such as capture the flag, last man  standing, etc. Someone really does need to make a map that functions like SC lol. 

Valhalla map was suppose to be the biggest map there is.  But the map devs had issue with it and abandoned it.  It is the same dev team working on the Ragnarok map.  You can read up on this post about the Valhalla map and the reason why they had to abandon it.  It was simply too big and it was creating problems.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/504122600/355043117519317355/

Archived