• Announcements

• Jatheish

ARK Sales!   12/20/17

For those who've yet to experience the joys of ARK, nows your chance to get in as we have a huge host of discounts across various platforms and regions! The discounts and sale length may vary so please continue reading for further sales information! PlayStation 4 (EU) Winter Sale! ARK will be participating in this year's PlayStation 4 Winter Sale! Discounts may vary based on region, so please double check to ensure you can get it in time! ARK: Survival Evolved ARK: Explorer’s Edition ARK: Season pass ARK: Scorched Earth Humble Bundle Sale! ARK: Survival Evolved ARK: Scorched Earth ARK: Season Pass
Ragnaw

ark crashes with "unreal engine exiting due to d3d device being lost"

Every single player I've spoken with seems to have some flavour of this bug since some month back. It was obviously something very wrong introduced in a patch. Maybe give bug fixes some priority, instead of releasing DLC that nobody will buy because the base game on official servers is mostly unplayable?

I seem to have done something to workaround the issue. Running on pretty much medium settings and full screen. I can play Aberration for hours without issue. But the minute I go anywhere near Nameless I crash instantly. I can go to the surface and fight Reapers and Seekers no problem but the second someone yells out "Nameless" it's like I tabbed out, it hangs for a minute and then crashes with this bug.

On 05/01/2018 at 7:10 PM, theemeraldlotus said:

dx10 uses sm4, dx11 is sm5. and dx10 was made for single thread but can utilize multi thread with the right program calls. dx11 was made for multi thread but can support single thread. most of the performance you get from dx10 is the old shaders and broader tessellation (less polygons/vertex points = more "pointy objects") but faster rendering. dx11's shaders are more accurate and darker (closer to what shade actually looks like) and the tessellation is sharper allowing for more rounded surfaces but more polygons to render. this depends on your gpu more than anything, hence why some people can run dx11 at a better frame rate than dx10. some of the newer cards support dx10 but most are not optimized for it they are made for dx11/dx12. just dont get your hopes up on this game going to dx12, its far more programmer heavy than previous dx versions.  if your interested in dx12 and wonder why im saying this take my previous post into account and read this.

https://developer.nvidia.com/dx12-dos-and-donts

So it seems that I hit the nail in the head, glad to hear this from someone who TRULY knows what he says. And relax, I know that you did not recommend running on DX10, just had to shake it off (and I suppose you think the same way) since you brought the topic of devs recommending this course of action.

And I'm just interested on it being properly DX10 compatible. Like really, try to run it on DX10 and you'll crash with nameless, I promise. I don't even know if Win7 supports DX12, but I highly doubt my GPU could handle it.

Anyways, my GPU is a piece of sh** so the game would look horrible no matter the shader used.

19 hours ago, DynamiteTiger said:

I seem to have done something to workaround the issue. Running on pretty much medium settings and full screen. I can play Aberration for hours without issue. But the minute I go anywhere near Nameless I crash instantly. I can go to the surface and fight Reapers and Seekers no problem but the second someone yells out "Nameless" it's like I tabbed out, it hangs for a minute and then crashes with this bug.

Check this:

Try launching the game normally instead of using "DirectX 10, Low-End Graphics" or "Extremely Low memory"; Also, check your launch options and delete everything that has something to do with DX10, including -d3d10 and -sm4, do not use -nohitthread or -norhithread either, it does no difference and might make you crash in other situations as well (It seems that this might be a good idea if you get random crashes when using DX11, but ONLY -norhithread).

It took me a whole week to figure it, but it seems that Nameless (perhaps Reapers as well) have no support for DX10, so they try to call a function of DX11 and the GPU program crashes because such a function is not available.

Hope it helps you.

You are probably, just like me and the other dude on this thread, running ARK on a potato and that's why you use dx10 and its shader. There is not actual way around this, you just have to use dx11 and bear with the performance drop by now. Should be not so bad in most parts, but expect a huge FPS count drop when going to the Swamp and the areas in Luminous Marshland and beyond: Spine, Halls of the Reaper Queen, Rock Drake Trench, you know, the nightmarish places you only go to when you need something of them.

Edited by TorakWolfy
  • Thanks 1

if you launch with -d3d10 you should not have to use -sm4 as d3d10 uses sm4 and not sm5. i have an i7 3930k @3.2Ghz, rampage 4 extreme (mobo), 16gig mushkin redline @2133 and an r9 fury. this setup can eat pretty much anything i throw at it with no problem even tho its kind of old now. this is the only game that i have ever had to force dx10 on to get it to work and i still get massive frame loss when looking in certain directions. i even clocked my cpu @4Ghz to see if that would help and nothing, not even an fps gain lol. but as i said before the game only uses maby 15-20% of  my cpu at any given point even clocked at 3.2Ghz. im almost certain this is a rendering issue on arks end and if that is the case there is nothing we can do to fix it. they need to do a massive revamp of the engine (actually upadate the base engine not just add in features of the newer versions) and do some major performance / bug squashing. but as i said before i wont hold my breath for this mainly because this being an issue for so long and no real acknowledgement by the devs if they even concider this an issue. plus you know they still have one more dlc to release! lol wish i was joking but im not.

15 hours ago, TorakWolfy said:

(snip) I don't even know if Win7 supports DX12, but I highly doubt my GPU could handle it. (snip)

dx12 is windows 10 only, it requires WDDM 2.0. the only reason i updated to windows 10 myself. if you are interested in WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) and what it is here is the link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/wddm-2-0-and-windows-10

and dont be fooled by people saying they have a hack that lets you use dx12 on anything earlier than win10 because its not true. you will know if your GPU supports dx12 by checking the user guide or documentation supplied with your card. or if you still have your box that the GPU came in it will be somewhere on there. hope this helps! o/

alternatively you could also run dxdiag.exe (search dxdiag) and run this it will display lots of info and tell you what directX version your card is on and under the "display" tab will tell you your wddm version.

Edited by theemeraldlotus
add info stuffs

Since my fix didn‘t hold for long (still really sad) and the devs just won‘t do anything about it I guess everyone of my friends including myself will just quit the game and move to a working game.

It‘s so sad to see such a beautiful game rot in my steam list but I can‘t play since the dlc...

It is exactly 1 month gone since the new dlc has broken the game and still no fix in sight... REALLY? Is there anything to say more to this?

If u wonder why less people are complaining about this: They didn't find a workaround, THEY ARE LEAVING THE GAME!

Ok, i understand. They paid already, making place for new victims... äh customers!

Edited by shann112
mistyped

12 minutes ago, shann112 said:

It is exactly 1 month gone since the new dlc has broken the game and still no fix in sight... REALLY? Is there anything to say more to this?

If u wonder why less people are complaining about this: They didn't find a wokraround, THEY ARE LEAVING THE GAME!

Ok, i understand. They paid already, making place for new victims... äh customers!

New DLC did not cause this issue, this issue has been around for a good 6 months now.

For me the issue came exactly with the new dlc... and as i read for some others too.

I believe you that this issue was active before, i read a lot of about this, many threads from u as well.

But my installation was affected since Aberration, so i can just complain about that. I don't know exactly why this is the case.

My suspicion is that they updated the engine in the meantime before and rolled out again an older version with Aberration. But who knows, what they really do, if u don't look after every so called fix. Ark became a never ending try-and-error-game, esp since release. Inacceptable!

Finally the result is the same for all of us: A big shame on the side of development, quality management and finally the company leadership. Don't see often this crappy behaviour in industry or 'normal' software development, where this kind of work wouldn't be honored.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:32 PM, TorakWolfy said:

Check this:

You are probably, just like me and the other dude on this thread, running ARK on a potato and that's why you use dx10 and its shader. There is not actual way around this, you just have to use dx11 and bear with the performance drop by now. Should be not so bad in most parts, but expect a huge FPS count drop when going to the Swamp and the areas in Luminous Marshland and beyond: Spine, Halls of the Reaper Queen, Rock Drake Trench, you know, the nightmarish places you only go to when you need something of them.

Yeah confirmed. Trying so many different things to get this to stop happening, I forgot I had D10 enabled in the launch options. Removed it and tested out tonight extensively. I can now go to the surface, and lower levels with no problems. Thanks for the heads up. :D

3 hours ago, shann112 said:

For me the issue came exactly with the new dlc... and as i read for some others too.

I believe you that this issue was active before, i read a lot of about this, many threads from u as well.

But my installation was affected since Aberration, so i can just complain about that. I don't know exactly why this is the case.

My suspicion is that they updated the engine in the meantime before and rolled out again an older version with Aberration. But who knows, what they really do, if u don't look after every so called fix. Ark became a never ending try-and-error-game, esp since release. Inacceptable!

Finally the result is the same for all of us: A big shame on the side of development, quality management and finally the company leadership. Don't see often this crappy behaviour in industry or 'normal' software development, where this kind of work wouldn't be honored.

Yeah it is possible you have been getting them all this time, just not an exception that crashes the game. I am yet to see it crash on my PC in 3 months now. But I see thousands of errors in the event logs with this specific error.

2 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Yeah it is possible you have been getting them all this time, just not an exception that crashes the game. I am yet to see it crash on my PC in 3 months now. But I see thousands of errors in the event logs with this specific error.

I should really investigate that, but... i am out of fuel for this bs. I want to play and be happy in my freetime and don't mess with people (WC!) who don't want to react in a proper way, don't seem to be able and willing to fix that and even get paid for this - i don't know how to call it in another way - Mother*beep* *beep* Bull*beep* *BEEEEP* *BeeEEeeeeEEEPPPP*! ;)

Not to misunderstand my complaints: I love this game but i hate what they make with it!

BeepBeep :D

Edited by shann112
no misses, just mis*

32 minutes ago, shann112 said:

Ok, u are right, Cyberangel! Did a quickcheck - curiosity wins ;) - and really found without any problems this errors in Sept 2017. Didn't check if there are older ones, but this is *BEEEP*

in the event viewer logs?

I am actually surprised how much it actually gets reported. I don't get kicked from the game, as my system is very beefy, but if I do run the game for 10 minutes, there is about 50 reported errors saying D3D device being lost.

I ran a dxdiag and here is the system information. I wonder if other eyes can see something in this report that I am missing.

System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 1/12/2018, 15:38:03
             Machine name: DESKTOP-PK61L3C
               Machine Id: {73CACA2B-D983-46B9-AB59-6E5FB9A99D61}
         Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
             System Model: XPS 8300 
                     BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/20/11 08:28:53 Ver: 04.06.04
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
                   Memory: 12288MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 12270MB RAM
                Page File: 3364MB used, 10761MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

18 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

in the event viewer logs?

I am actually surprised how much it actually gets reported. I don't get kicked from the game, as my system is very beefy, but if I do run the game for 10 minutes, there is about 50 reported errors saying D3D device being lost.

Yes, in the event viewer. But the real probs started with the rollout of Aberration, i had almost no crashes before. Now the 'usual' d3d fatal error line 176 as all the others here.

With this -norhithread startoption ARK still mostly crashes while loading the map. If the login was once successful, the game seems running stable atm, but with terrible performance.

57 minutes ago, mmart said:

They are ignoring us, https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/topic/295733-Community-Crunch-114:-Dino-TLC,-Console-Ragnarok,-Sales,-&-NVIDIA-Freestyle!#entry1724183. They are working on TLC dinos not on fixing game. Players will be distracted by WC bread and circuses

I agree that they are kind of pushing their work ahead, but DinoTLC is a graphic update, you know, done by 3d artists and not programmers.