Anyone know how FuelConsumptionIntervalMultiplier works

CyberAngel67

It's in the name. It's the fuel INTERVAL multiplier. So take the interval that it consumes a fuel (say, for example, 30 minutes) and multiply it by the number. 30*1.3=~40

You can work this out with something like the babymaturespeed also. Take the SPEED that they grow up, (say, 30 minutes) and multiply it by the number. If it takes 30 minutes before, it now takes 1.3 times longer.

10 minutes ago, Ushot2late said:

It's in the name. It's the fuel INTERVAL multiplier. So take the interval that it consumes a fuel (say, for example, 30 minutes) and multiply it by the number. 30*1.3=~40

You can work this out with something like the babymaturespeed also. Take the SPEED that they grow up, (say, 30 minutes) and multiply it by the number. If it takes 30 minutes before, it now takes 1.3 times longer.

Sorry I know what it is for, but wasn't sure if a high number increased it or not. Some settings are the opposite way around and as this is new, it isn't on the Wiki as yet.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 11:51 PM, Ushot2late said:

It is actually BabyMatureSpeedMultiplier, and setting it higher than 1 will decrease the time it takes for it to mature.

FuelConsumptionMultiplier is the same way, if you want gas and such to last longer, increase it.

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2017 at 11:02 AM, Sh4rk said:

It is actually BabyMatureSpeedMultiplier, and setting it higher than 1 will decrease the time it takes for it to mature.

FuelConsumptionMultiplier is the same way, if you want gas and such to last longer, increase it.

Thanx i myself was wondering how it worked

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/13/2017 at 12:02 PM, Sh4rk said:

Thank you givin a direct answer as some people don't understand.  That it is differnt for other settings.  Some settings are opposite some it's extremely confusing. 

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I know this is an old post and this question has been answered, but when searching for this specific question this post came up in google search results near the top. So just to clear up any confusion for future readers, the rule of thumb is that if the configuration setting is indicating INTERVAL (i.e. LayEggIntervalMultiplier, MatingIntervalMultiplier), it's referring to how long it takes for the same action to happen again (Such as how long until another egg is dropped or how long until a female dino can mate again)

When the configuration setting is indicating SPEED (i.e. HairGrowthSpeedMultiplier, CropGrowthSpeedMultiplier), it's referring to how long it takes to get from beginning to end (From no hair to a full head of hair or from a newly planted seedling to a fully grown fruitling)

So, INTERVAL should be lowered for the action to happen more frequently and raised for the action to happen less frequently.
SPEED should be lowered to decrease the speed of the current setting and raised to increase the speed of the current setting.

With this in mind, we can now honestly say that FuelConsumptionIntervalMultiplier works with the INTERVAL type in mind, in that a lower number will burn a fuel source more frequently, resulting higher cost of resources but more charcoal (if using wood), and a higher number will burn the fuel source less frequently, saving cost in resources but yielding less charcoal (if using wood).

I really hoped this helps any future readers, I've attempted to explain this the best possible way I can!

23 minutes ago, Wickey said:

I know this is an old post and this question has been answered, but when searching for this specific question this post came up in google search results near the top. So just to clear up any confusion for future readers, the rule of thumb is that if the configuration setting is indicating INTERVAL (i.e. LayEggIntervalMultiplier, MatingIntervalMultiplier), it's referring to how long it takes for the same action to happen again (Such as how long until another egg is dropped or how long until a female dino can mate again)

When the configuration setting is indicating SPEED (i.e. HairGrowthSpeedMultiplier, CropGrowthSpeedMultiplier), it's referring to how long it takes to get from beginning to end (From no hair to a full head of hair or from a newly planted seedling to a fully grown fruitling)

So, INTERVAL should be lowered for the action to happen more frequently and raised for the action to happen less frequently.
SPEED should be lowered to decrease the speed of the current setting and raised to increase the speed of the current setting.

With this in mind, we can now honestly say that FuelConsumptionIntervalMultiplier works with the INTERVAL type in mind, in that a lower number will burn a fuel source more frequently, resulting higher cost of resources but more charcoal (if using wood), and a higher number will burn the fuel source less frequently, saving cost in resources but yielding less charcoal (if using wood).

I really hoped this helps any future readers, I've attempted to explain this the best possible way I can!

Good explanation, but Interval could have been Speed as they are interchangeable.

10 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Good explanation, but Interval could have been Speed as they are interchangeable.

Yes and no. Like I said, Speed generally refers to something in the game that has a definite start and a definite end, whereas Interval refers to something in the game that can happen over and over again indefinitely, provided it can.

Of course, if you changed it to HairGrowthIntervalMultiplier=0.5, your characters hair would grow more frequently, therefore faster, but eventually it would grow only to a certain point and then stop, which is why the "Speed" addition was used instead of "Interval". They are interchangeable, but Interval and Speed have their respective differences and are used as such.

Sorry, don't mean to argue with you, in my mind I don't think my explanation was entirely clear to have been dismissed so quickly.

7 minutes ago, Wickey said:

Yes and no. Like I said, Speed generally refers to something in the game that has a definite start and a definite end, whereas Interval refers to something in the game that can happen over and over again indefinitely, provided it can.

Of course, if you changed it to HairGrowthIntervalMultiplier=0.5, your characters hair would grow more frequently, therefore faster, but eventually it would grow only to a certain point and then stop, which is why the "Speed" addition was used instead of "Interval". They are interchangeable, but Interval and Speed have their respective differences and are used as such.

Sorry, don't mean to argue with you, in my mind I don't think my explanation was entirely clear to have been dismissed so quickly.

FuelConsumptionIntervalMultiplier

Is how long the fuel burns, therefore by speeding it up or slowing it down you are changing the speed.

I am not going to get into a debate over this, it is interchangeable.

1 hour ago, CyberAngel67 said:

FuelConsumptionIntervalMultiplier

Is how long the fuel burns, therefore by speeding it up or slowing it down you are changing the speed.

I am not going to get into a debate over this, it is interchangeable.

Your original post asked if the number needed to be higher or lower to produce a specific result.You're right, ultimately it is the speed of how fast it's burning, but when changing the value of the settings from 1.0 (Default), INTERVAL is not SPEED. They are two very different terms. In the configuration files, Fuel Consumption is given an "Interval Multiplier", not a "Speed Multiplier". If it was interchangeable, you would be able to put in "FuelConsumptionSpeedMultipler=<same value as interval that is not 1.0>" and it would work flawlessly.

Here's an example:

Spoiler

INTERVAL
FuelConsumptionIntervalMultiplier=1.0 (Base interval)
FuelConsumptionIntervalMutliplier=0.5 (Lower number decreases time it takes (more frequent), or increases speed of burning fuel source)
FuelConsumptionIntervalMultiplier=5.0 (Higher number increases time it takes (less frequent), or slows down speed of burning fuel source)

SPEED
FuelConsumptionSpeedMultiplier=1.0 (Base speed)
FuelConsumptionSpeedMultiplier=0.5 (Lower number slows down speed of burning fuel source, or increases time it takes (less frequent))
FuelConsumptionSpeedMultiplier=5.0(Higher number increases speed of burning fuel source, or decreases time it takes (more frequent))

This is why it's important for people to know when they're dealing with an Interval setting versus a Speed setting, because the numbers don't work to produce the exact same result if you were to just plug it in as is. How about another example?

Spoiler

SPEED
EggHatchSpeedMutliplier=1.0 (Base Speed)
EggHatchSpeedMultiplier=0.5 (Lower number slows down speed, or increases time it takes for egg to hatch (less frequent))
EggHatchSpeedMultiplier=5.0 (Higher number increases speed, or decreases time it takes for egg to hatch(more frequent))

INTERVAL
EggHatchIntervalMultiplier=1.0 (Base Interval)
EggHatchIntervalMultiplier=0.5 (Lower number decreases time it takes for egg to hatch (more frequent), or increases speed)
EggHatchIntervalMultiplier=5.0 (Higher number increases time it takes for egg to hatch(less frequent), or slows down speed)

So, to recap:
Interval: Lower number increases frequency (time it takes), higher number decreases frequency (time it takes)

Speed: Lower number decreases speed, higher number increases speed

SPEED IS NOT INTERVAL

MatingIntervalMultiplier=<value> Value = float
Default = 1.0

Higher number increases (on a percentage scale) interval between which dinosaurs can mate
Example: MatingIntervalMultiplier=0.5 would allow dinosaurs to mate 50% sooner

MatingSpeedMultiplier=<value>    Value = float

Default = 1.0

Higher number increases (by percentage) speed at which dinosaurs mate with each other

Example: MatingSpeedMultiplier=2.0 would cause dinosaurs to complete mating in half the normal time

4 minutes ago, Wickey said:

Your original post asked if the number needed to be higher or lower to produce a specific result.You're right, ultimately it is the speed of how fast it's burning, but when changing the value of the settings from 1.0 (Default), INTERVAL is not SPEED. They are two very different terms. In the configuration files, Fuel Consumption is given an "Interval Multiplier", not a "Speed Multiplier". If it was interchangeable, you would be able to put in "FuelConsumptionSpeedMultipler=<same value as interval that is not 1.0>" and it would work flawlessly.

Here's an example:

Reveal hidden contents

INTERVAL
FuelConsumptionIntervalMultiplier=1.0 (Base interval)
FuelConsumptionIntervalMutliplier=0.5 (Lower number decreases time it takes (more frequent), or increases speed of burning fuel source)
FuelConsumptionIntervalMultiplier=5.0 (Higher number increases time it takes (less frequent), or slows down speed of burning fuel source)

SPEED
FuelConsumptionSpeedMultiplier=1.0 (Base speed)
FuelConsumptionSpeedMultiplier=0.5 (Lower number slows down speed of burning fuel source, or increases time it takes (less frequent))
FuelConsumptionSpeedMultiplier=5.0(Higher number increases speed of burning fuel source, or decreases time it takes (more frequent))

This is why it's important for people to know when they're dealing with an Interval setting versus a Speed setting, because the numbers don't work to produce the exact same result if you were to just plug it in as is. How about another example?

Reveal hidden contents

SPEED
EggHatchSpeedMutliplier=1.0 (Base Speed)
EggHatchSpeedMultiplier=0.5 (Lower number slows down speed, or increases time it takes for egg to hatch (less frequent))
EggHatchSpeedMultiplier=5.0 (Higher number increases speed, or decreases time it takes for egg to hatch(more frequent))

INTERVAL
EggHatchIntervalMultiplier=1.0 (Base Interval)
EggHatchIntervalMultiplier=0.5 (Lower number decreases time it takes for egg to hatch (more frequent), or increases speed)
EggHatchIntervalMultiplier=5.0 (Higher number increases time it takes for egg to hatch(less frequent), or slows down speed)

So, to recap:
Interval: Lower number increases frequency (time it takes), higher number decreases frequency (time it takes)

Speed: Lower number decreases speed, higher number increases speed

SPEED IS NOT INTERVAL

MatingIntervalMultiplier=<value> Value = float
Default = 1.0

Higher number increases (on a percentage scale) interval between which dinosaurs can mate
Example: MatingIntervalMultiplier=0.5 would allow dinosaurs to mate 50% sooner

MatingSpeedMultiplier=<value>    Value = float

Default = 1.0

Higher number increases (by percentage) speed at which dinosaurs mate with each other

Example: MatingSpeedMultiplier=2.0 would cause dinosaurs to complete mating in half the normal time

At the time of writing this, there was no, known information about how it worked.

Just now, CyberAngel67 said:

At the time of writing this, there was no, known information about how it worked.

I don't expect the 2017 you to have been able to confirm my explanation so easily, but the 2019 you should have easily been able to confirm my explanation as correct, given that all the information you needed was publicly available at the time you wrote it, yet you still thought speed and interval were interchangeable.

4 minutes ago, Wickey said:

I don't expect the 2017 you to have been able to confirm my explanation so easily, but the 2019 you should have easily been able to confirm my explanation as correct, given that all the information you needed was publicly available at the time you wrote it, yet you still thought speed and interval were interchangeable.

What part of good explanation do you find hard to accept!

Just now, CyberAngel67 said:

Well good, but as stated when I asked the question, not all was available. I read the Wiki site of the settings all the time back then, some of the information was badly written or non existent.

I know dude, I'm not ignorant to that fact, I was just surprised that a year and a half later, with the information publicly available, you tried to dismiss my explanation. I provided correct information that people will now see as being called incorrect by the original poster.

Archived