The Definitive Dino DPS Guide

PuffyPony

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, bigfishrob said:

i killed an 85 giga off the bank with him last night. i took several hits while getting him positioned where he seemed to hit me less. i think if i had my squid imprint that i lost bc my char got deleted i could toe to toe him and win.

Yeah, the Giga has the added advantage of Bleed, which drastically increases its overall DPS, especially as its target's Health increases. That's not measurable on the dummy, and even if it were, I wouldn't give a number for it because of the aforementioned scaling. Still, considering tamed creatures have the advantage of optimal RPS, armor, intelligent riders instead of stupid AI... pretty clear victory for your Tuso :)

Guys, really, stop bashing the OP... yes, there are tons of additional parameters what effect the OVERALL combat capabilities, but that was not the purpose of the measurement. 

Its like you just come up with the fact that troodon is better than the rex against humas, because even if it has low DPS, it torpor humans in 3 bites. Dont act like Brainy Smurf... treat the list as is, not a full combat analysis. 

• 1 month later...

theri out-dps the rex because a theri hit counts three times

(you can see that aswell while harvesting, the materials will go up in 3 times)

kill an alpha raptor with a rex, harvest it +- 40-50 prime meat

kill an alpha raptor with a theri, harvest it 100+ prime meat (up to 150)

not to forget probably the most important factor

THERI IGNORES HUGE PART OF ARMOUR VALUE meaning it will allways out-dps a rex. training dummy is wrong

1 hour ago, Culex said:

How do i predict whats the dps for a Rex with 255% melee damage? I know DPH * RPS = DPS, but how do you get from 74.4 to 2192?

If you're using a Training Dummy, the numbers are skewed and not reflective of the actual damage your creature is dealing. At all levels, DPS  = Melee*DPH*RPS, where Melee is your Percent Melee (255%) divided by 100%. So your Rex actually deals ~190 DPS

1 minute ago, raptorjesus666 said:

theri out-dps the rex because a theri hit counts three times

(you can see that aswell while harvesting, the materials will go up in 3 times)

kill an alpha raptor with a rex, harvest it +- 40-50 prime meat

kill an alpha raptor with a theri, harvest it 100+ prime meat (up to 150)

This was my initial belief until testing, but nothing I did (including attempt to use the Theri against wild creatures) suggests it hits anymore than once while attacking. The animation shows three swings, but only one hit registers against other creatures. This was a change in the patch notes, as I recall, to reduce the overall DPS of the Theri because it was fairly powerful, but the change didn't apply to harvesting.

Also, harvest amounts are semi-irrelevant to damage. Sort of. Lower base damage means less damage to the target corpse, which means you can strike it a little bit more to harvest more resources, and different creatures have different base efficiency for harvesting different resources. Even without Power Harvesting, the Theri has very high efficiency for Wood, Meat, and Fiber (which isn't affected by Power significantly), so it's not really surprising nor contradictory that the Theri can out-harvest the Rex.

• 1 month later...
On 27/09/2017 at 11:34 PM, PuffyPony said:

This was my initial belief until testing, but nothing I did (including attempt to use the Theri against wild creatures) suggests it hits anymore than once while attacking. The animation shows three swings, but only one hit registers against other creatures.

Can confirm exactly the same with all my Theri testing.  One hit only.

On 8/15/2017 at 6:40 AM, Korias said:

Hey, any chance you can put it in a sortable table or Excel?

Or sort your bullet points by highest DPS to lowest instead of alphabetical, will make it easier to digest and compare different dinos.

Most interesting things to me here:

- Direwolf and Direbear DPS is insane

- Theri is lower than I thought (I dunno how they are able to defeat Spinos in various level 1 youtube tests - maybe requires further testing on this dino?)

- Baryonyx is lower than I thought - figured the raptor-like attack speed would boost them more. Apparently they have one of the slower attack speeds among dinos?? Are you sure about that??

- Alpha Allosauruses are only about equal to Rexes, so there really is no point in ever using one, with the two weak Allo companions in tow. More Rexes is always better.

#1. High DPS on the Dire creatures but wolves are saddle less and super fragile and bears lack the health to compete with larger carnivores

#2. Theri has an armor piercing effect as well as 200 more base health vs Spinos. A ~15% advantage in DPS in favor of the spino (though his results on Spinos, theris, and Rexes differs considerably compared to my testing and other testing I've seen even with the same methods which otherwise rank Spino barely > Rex slightly > Theri) does not make up for a ~30% lower health. In a rider scenario the Spino had much greater knockback, AoE, and trample damage to consider though.

#3. I suspect a systemic issue with his attack speeds. Literally timing and counting bites over a period of time I was getting 1.05/sec vs  his 1.2/sec and there are clear differences in hit rates between Rexes and others listed at 1.2

#4. Not always. Allos are much faster, turn on a dime, and deal %health damage while drastically slowing targets. Realistically an Alpha Allo does it's normal DPS+%health so vs a level 1 Rex it would do the 78 or so plus an additional 11 dps from bleed for a total of 89. Against a level 1 tamed giga it would be 78+170 for 248. The bleed dps also applies regardless of saddle armor. Rexes are bite and tank, Allos are hit and run (as bleeding targets have zero hope to catch the Allos).

On 8/15/2017 at 4:57 PM, PuffyPony said:

Yeah, the Giga has the added advantage of Bleed, which drastically increases its overall DPS, especially as its target's Health increases. That's not measurable on the dummy, and even if it were, I wouldn't give a number for it because of the aforementioned scaling. Still, considering tamed creatures have the advantage of optimal RPS, armor, intelligent riders instead of stupid AI... pretty clear victory for your Tuso :)

Tamed gigas do not have a bleed effect, only wilds do.

• 10 months later...

This method of damage testing isn't valid and never was afaik. Training dummy is a thatch structure, and different creatures has different damage multipliers against different structures. Or my former tribemates boss rex out dps'd my 100% imprint giga. Sry cant remember the melee stats on them but they were both top of the line back then

On 9/1/2018 at 12:14 PM, BaldBudgie said:

This method of damage testing isn't valid and never was afaik. Training dummy is a thatch structure, and different creatures has different damage multipliers against different structures. Or my former tribemates boss rex out dps'd my 100% imprint giga. Sry cant remember the melee stats on them but they were both top of the line back then

If you read my methodology, I actually adjusted for this. I only used the training dummy to determine the attack frequency, not the actual damage. Attack damage was pulled from the Wiki (and corroborated by attacking spawned in, un-mate boosted Dodos, though I didn't list that since, at the time, all Wiki values were correct). I actually talk about the weird multipliers to Thatch damage structure at a couple points in the original post (i.e. with the Equus, and with creatures who don't deal structure damage)

2 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

If you read my methodology, I actually adjusted for this. I only used the training dummy to determine the attack frequency, not the actual damage. Attack damage was pulled from the Wiki (and corroborated by attacking spawned in, un-mate boosted Dodos, though I didn't list that since, at the time, all Wiki values were correct). I actually talk about the weird multipliers to Thatch damage structure at a couple points in the original post (i.e. with the Equus, and with creatures who don't deal structure damage)

Ah sorry! Now i get it :) ok that seems like the right way to do it then.

Archived