The Definitive Dino DPS Guide

PuffyPony

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, any chance you can put it in a sortable table or Excel?

Or sort your bullet points by highest DPS to lowest instead of alphabetical, will make it easier to digest and compare different dinos.

Most interesting things to me here:

- Direwolf and Direbear DPS is insane

- Theri is lower than I thought (I dunno how they are able to defeat Spinos in various level 1 youtube tests - maybe requires further testing on this dino?)

- Baryonyx is lower than I thought - figured the raptor-like attack speed would boost them more. Apparently they have one of the slower attack speeds among dinos?? Are you sure about that??

- Alpha Allosauruses are only about equal to Rexes, so there really is no point in ever using one, with the two weak Allo companions in tow. More Rexes is always better.

3 minutes ago, Palenor said:

What? Nothing for the King of all non-dino's? Where are the stats for the Dire Bear? The secondary attack is huge!

Would love to see how this actually stacks up against the Rex, have a feeling it might be more than the rex

It's on the list lol. 

DirebearPrimary1.2 RPS / 50 DPH / 60 DPS. Secondary1.2 RPS / 65 DPH / 78 DPS

1 hour ago, Harrist14 said:

It's on the list lol. 

DirebearPrimary1.2 RPS / 50 DPH / 60 DPS. Secondary1.2 RPS / 65 DPH / 78 DPS

Now I have objective evidence, why I love my direbears.... 

Just add the fact you can use weapons while you are riding it and the fact it is compact and very agile, and it turns out it is much better than the rex :D I use it as taming mount, ex to tame the level 150 rexes without any danger :D

(not on bossing tough, as HP is important there where the rex is better)

Just now, lammaer555 said:

Now I have objective evidence, why I love my direbears.... 

Just add the fact you can use weapons while you are riding it and the fact it is compact and very agile, and it turns out it is much better than the rex :D 

(not on bossing tough, as HP is important there where the rex is better)

Yup, bears are sweet. The only reason I don't have dozens is because they're mammals instead of hatching out of eggs

4 minutes ago, Harrist14 said:

Yup, bears are sweet. The only reason I don't have dozens is because they're mammals instead of hatching out of eggs

Yup, that makes breeding a bit more complex but easier as well in the same time - you dont need a hatchery to get the babies. 

One more thing why I like them: they act as mobile storage places.. we have like 20 parking around the base, levelled on full weight (3-4K weight)... 300 slot storage place, what can move wherever you want it. 

So bears FTW!

2 hours ago, Korias said:

- Alpha Allosauruses are only about equal to Rexes, so there really is no point in ever using one, with the two weak Allo companions in tow. More Rexes is always better.

With the Allo it's all about the bleed, which this dps chart does not take into account. The Allo is better against opponents who are small and fast, and also against tanky dinos with an extreme health pool. The slow effect will prevent fast opponents from getting away, and the dps from the bleed scales with the opponent's health. The slow effect can also be used for hit-and-run tactics or as a support for other damage-dealing dinosaurs.

Basically the Rex is a slow-moving bruiser who wants to stand there trading chomps with his opponent, whereas the Allo is more of a tactical killer who shines most brightly in a team setting.

On 8/8/2017 at 1:19 AM, PuffyPony said:

Test again. I was also under the impression that the Theri had a higher DPS than the Rex, but having literally just tested it (I checked each multiple times), I can't really find a way for ridden Theri to out-DPS a ridden Rex. As I said, however, this may not be the case for unridden tames. Also, if you're on Xbox, you're at risk for over-sampling the trigger when attacking. The Stego in particular appears to suffer from this issue, but the Rex also seemed to have some problem with it.

I think a lot of ppl have been saying for sooooo long how high theri dmg is and dont want to admit it is not by raw data. The part i did not see you take into account which may account for the discrepancy is doesn't the theri bypass armor value making it then do more dmg on armored targets?

1 hour ago, bigfishrob said:

I think a lot of ppl have been saying for sooooo long how high theri dmg is and dont want to admit it is not by raw data. The part i did not see you take into account which may account for the discrepancy is doesn't the theri bypass armor value making it then do more dmg on armored targets?

Armor penetration shouldn't effect the RPS, which is just the pure Round Per Second for attack. Now, what may cause the belief or the theory that the Theri may inflict similar damage to the Rex in boss fights is that unridden tames may attack at different rates than ridden ones. I didn't test this, but if I had to eyeball compare a ridden Rex to an unridden Rex, it sure seems like the ridden one attacks a lot faster. But as I said, ridden dino data only :)

3 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

Armor penetration shouldn't effect the RPS, which is just the pure Round Per Second for attack. Now, what may cause the belief that the theory that the Theri may inflict similar damage to the Rex in boss fights is that unridden tames may attack at different rates than ridden ones. I didn't test this, but if I had to eyeball compare a ridden Rex to an unridden Rex, it sure seems like the ridden one attacks a lot faster. But as I said, ridden dino data only :)

armor pen wouldnt account for more RPS, but could result in more applied DPS. if a rex loses say 10% to armor vs a theri bypassing armor.

8 hours ago, lammaer555 said:

Well done, I do like people who conduct tests! Thank you for your efforts and sharing.

ps: could we have the data in a spreasheet format (like on a shared google one)?

I'll see about getting something set up in the next few days :) It won't have all the commentary, but if you've looked at/understand the thread already, it should make sense

8 minutes ago, bigfishrob said:

armor pen wouldnt account for more RPS, but could result in more applied DPS. if a rex loses say 10% to armor vs a theri bypassing armor.

Right, so if someone wasn't calculating DPS based on RPS, then that could explain the difference. As I stated in my method though, I actually used a training dummy to calculate RPS because I was aware that different dinos can sometimes hit through armor and such, and the dummy gives a dDPS number, so it's a lot easier and more reliable to do it with the dummy, even though the dDPH numbers are misleading.

5 hours ago, Korias said:

Hey, any chance you can put it in a sortable table or Excel?

Or sort your bullet points by highest DPS to lowest instead of alphabetical, will make it easier to digest and compare different dinos.

Most interesting things to me here:

- Direwolf and Direbear DPS is insane

- Theri is lower than I thought (I dunno how they are able to defeat Spinos in various level 1 youtube tests - maybe requires further testing on this dino?)

- Baryonyx is lower than I thought - figured the raptor-like attack speed would boost them more. Apparently they have one of the slower attack speeds among dinos?? Are you sure about that??

See above about the XL document, but I'll be sure to include two lists of the same data on there (one alphabetical, one by highest DPS). Also, the Theri has over 20% more Health than the Spino, which could explain why the Theri wins (also, these are closer to real ARK fights, in which I don't think you're going to hit these RPS successfully because of knockback, and if you're using unridden dinos, they may attack at different rates than ridden dinos, so that'll further conflate the problem). And yeah, Baryonyx is a fair bit lower than the Raptor, even with its primary, but to be fair, it hits a lot harder with its attack. Imagine an RPS of 2.2 on 35 base damage... that's 77 DPS :) More than the Rex!

4 hours ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

The mammoth has a third attack fyi. look left, look right, right click.

Nice work on the list btw ;)

I'll have to see if I can get this up there :)

On 8/8/2017 at 2:19 AM, PuffyPony said:

Test again. I was also under the impression that the Theri had a higher DPS than the Rex, but having literally just tested it (I checked each multiple times), I can't really find a way for ridden Theri to out-DPS a ridden Rex. As I said, however, this may not be the case for unridden tames. Also, if you're on Xbox, you're at risk for over-sampling the trigger when attacking. The Stego in particular appears to suffer from this issue, but the Rex also seemed to have some problem with it.

Theri ignores a percentage of armor, that's how it can deal more damage.. (my bad)  didn't read all the way thru before posting.. loved the read btw tho,  bookmarked it

2 hours ago, Palenor said:

Google Doc Spreadsheet as requested.

Just used the data in the spreadsheet.

Enjoy

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l8J1yeFnnxXx9a744hXFN8wNdWmV9JjsC12JhRliwFg/edit?usp=sharing

I'll put this in the OP with credit to you for the hard work :) Thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

Theri ignores a percentage of armor, that's how it can deal more damage.. (my bad)  didn't read all the way thru before posting.. loved the read btw tho,  bookmarked it

Yeah, which is why I tested the way I tested. Obviously in PvP, the Theri is a real boss because of the armor penetration, but DPS numbers alone don't necessarily capture that

Archived