Will Survivors Ever Be Able To Host or Rent Official Servers?

DaddyDogD

Hello all! Basically the title of the topic states the question at hand. I think it would be great to allow people to rent or host an official server for whatever map they choose that would be closer to their region. I enjoy playing hardcore. I would love to see a Hardcore Ragnarok Server and a Hardcore The Center server available on PC. I like playing official and I know a lot of other people to do to for obvious reasons (shady admins, too easy of advantages, and support from WCS, etc.) However, it would be nice if WCS is not going to take the step forward and offer those types of servers because of cost, time, or managment, whatever the issue may be... that they allow some us dedicated players to host a server in this niche for other players who also want to play Hardcore Raganarok, Hardcore Center, and not have a ping of 200-300 either because the only server is in Europe. If I have to pay to rent one I would. Or I could set up my own dedicated server. What is everyone else's thoughts? Do you agree? Disagree? Hopefully wildcard adresses more info about this in the future. (Yes I know I can already host whatever server i want but it would be unofficial) I feel like a lot of players stay away from unofficial servers and it can be difficult as there's literally like 25,000 unofficial servers to choose from. Let me know your thoughts.

• 11 months later...

Yes: players should be able to host official servers. This would work by a really-strict auditing and monitoring system that evaluates a servers compliance with official standards and guidelines as outlined in an agreement, that would be signed at the time that the player choses to generate their configuration files through the ark website.

A second part of this should be that a limited quantity of servers should be marked official at the same time. So what I would do in this case is I would issue that "certification" at random times, with random expiration times. In the event that a server misses its renewal it falls beneath another server that has scored more renewals therefore eventually getting pushed back to unofficial status. For the consistency and stability of monitoring and auditing, the quantity of official servers at one-time must be controlled.

If a server falls out of official status; then it should have to wait its turn in line again in order to redeem that official status. Characters and Tames should be stuck on that server. There is a reason why it fell out of official status and this is a why of saying that although the official rules were violated you can still enjoy the play of the game, as you want to play your game, without violating those who are following the official rules. Maybe someday that server will rise again.

So lets review: put "official" back into the rules and not on the server
Servers that are compliant with the official standards shall be marked/certified as official
The official standards should have a very-clear and straightforward understanding of the rules associated with a specific naming convention.
The official standards should include that being the top 10% (in runtime) is also one of the standards.
The runtime should be measured by very-frequent pings/queries made to a server. If there is a response the server gains an uptime point.
servers who fall beneath the 10% of all servers in regards to uptime are ineligible to be of official standards.
because that server does not meat official standards, if it was of official, then the players would be inable to x-fer out "sorry, server did not follow guidelines".

Just saying: it maybe easier for SWC to referee instead of manage some things/ways they went about the game.

Archived