What is the weakest dino you have used to kill alpha dinos?

Supaciv

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But like a 157 thezi with 306%melee, will that out damage a alpha raptor? The reason for this post was because we are having prpbs woth lots of alpha raptors spawning near our base and was wondering if it was strong enough to tank and kill one. My old tribe woild use gigas or wyverns, both of which i do not have....

I once used a Pre-nerf ptera to kill a level 120 alpha raptor. the ptera was lvl 85 that i tamed with kibble. and did half melee and stam. killed it when they first introduced the barrel roll.  dont know the stats. but it did take about 30 mins to kill it. LOL was so much fun had about 200hp left. i remember this was when i got my first mastercraft crossbow from the kill. was so happy..

Mine was also an Alpha Rex level 95 with a high level Ptera (pre nerf). The fight was brutal. Wiped my buddy and his Ptera after about 15 minutes. I stuck around and fought him for about 2-3 hours...Never will do that again..i got too far down the road once the rex started bleeding I could not quit until he was dead 

• 10 months later...

On The Island I live on Grand Peak in the redwoods, and there are always a slew of alpha raptors and alpha carnos in the area. And I’ve always addressed them the same way - with a flock of dimorphodons. Just whistle them onto target from somewhere safe (I did it from the back of an eagle) and watch the brief period of carnage.

I think the weakest flock I ever set on an alpha was ten birds under level 100, and they handled themselves just fine. I’ve never lost a bird and my flocks have taken down everything less than a boss.

Dimorphodons are also common and easy to tame with bolas and tranq arrows or darts. I use darts to reduce the chance of killing them.

That would be my suggested solution to your alpha problems.

A trike with enough stamina can take a raptor using the knockback. It can also take a carno if you can find a rock to sit on where the trike is about head level with the carno. Pteras can take any raptor/carno with barrel rolls and a rock to regain stam on. Argys take rexes, long battle is all.

If you are on PVE, just run the alphas into someone elses dino trap. They cant damage the other tribes trap and you can kill them much easier as a result. Once they start fleeing you can even pike them for the full xps.

• 4 months later...

A pack of anything will do it. Dimorphs are deadly in a flock! In the old days the answer was to level speed until nothing could hit them, now I push health and they will still kill anything short of a boss or maybe Ice / Death worms. Same answer with Vultures - dead easy to tame and deadly in a fight. The only down side is you have to take some damage to agro the vulture pack, they don't listen to "Attack this target"

Years ago when just starting I had a pack of dillos (maybe 6 - 10) and they killed an alpha raptor. Took lots of losses though, I think 2 survived.

I don't remember the raptor's level but I took one down with a not particularly impressive mid-level trike once. We were ambushed while traveling to a friend's base and obviously there's no way a trike escapes an alpha raptor, so I decided we would stand our ground and fight. My biggest issue was the trike kept running out of stamina and would take some hits whenever he had to stop attacking and regen. This was long, long before cakes were a thing too. We survived, barely, and I pumped a lot of stamina and HP into him and later repeated the feat on purpose when someone needed help getting rid of another one. Bull eventually retired to a friend's kibble farm and spent the rest of his days punting dilos, his favorite pastime, until the server wiped.

Also she wasn't a low level by any means but I once had a pink frog that soloed an alpha raptor entirely by herself. It fell in my base while I was on the other side of my yard, by the time I heard the battle music and ran over to deal with it, the death message for the alpha popped up lol. She made a bit of a career taking down alpha raptors after that. Too bad I don't really use frogs anymore, between beaver dams and kapros being a thing.

I once had a panicky moment on my lovely irreplaceable Bear lvl 301 at the time (bred with 402% base melee and was up at about 750% at the time). Anyway, what made my A Raptor kill so impressive was that I was by a river when attacking the A Raptor,  a Bary popped up and stunned me off the bear. I died in the fracas and had to spawn and run back to my Bear in the hope it would still be alive. It was taking on both Bary and A Raptor so I jumped on but again was killed by the Bary :( Spawned again, ran back, managed to jump on and move from waters edge and killed Bary with a vengeance before turning my attention to A Raptor. Very bloody bear by now but managed to take the A Raptor out with only a fraction of hp left( may have been 300-400hp). I was so worried at this point I took it right home, and locked it up for the rest of the week until I had bred a spare. To this day, said Bear is still here but it doesnt get the love anymore if I am honest. I ride either my Giga or Thyla... but what a Bear it was - it is named Fury.

23 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

A pack of anything will do it. Dimorphs are deadly in a flock! In the old days the answer was to level speed until nothing could hit them, now I push health and they will still kill anything short of a boss or maybe Ice / Death worms. Same answer with Vultures - dead easy to tame and deadly in a fight. The only down side is you have to take some damage to agro the vulture pack, they don't listen to "Attack this target"

Years ago when just starting I had a pack of dillos (maybe 6 - 10) and they killed an alpha raptor. Took lots of losses though, I think 2 survived.

A pack of high level allos isnt really scared of anything , I made quick work of a tough A carno with 4 lvl 100 ish wolves 

Nobody has mentioned the sea, so here i go:

I killed an alpha mosa lvl 25 with a lvl 200 megalodon.  It spawned on a cave with a trench (the sea entrance to the Center jumping puzzle cave) and after a lot of chomping and being chomped i managed to trap it in the trench.  Took about 30-45 min of constant biting to go down.  Gave me a nice journeyman fishing rod and then i died from hypothermia.

Archived