ARK Digest Q&A!

Jatheish

1) Will there be more unique base foundations/customization aspects added like the red tree platform like maybe cliff side bases or bases that can float on water without having to use pillars or Rafts, and maybe even flying bases using hot air balloons!!!

2) Would you consider having like a "lock Item" option on dinos or a hot bar like the player has to place items in so that way when you are transfer all from the dino those stay put. It is a hassle to have to remember to put food back in their Inventory when you are out exploring or simply so they don't drop valuable items like 50 metal walls but you do want them to drop all the berries or meat they picked up along the way, Same thing could work initially for the player like being able to lock their ammo, tranq darts, saddles, etc. but still be able to transfer all the materials they collected (wood, metal, stone, thatch etc.)   

3) There was mention of using hitching posts and/or leashes for dinos on digest 22 where you responded saying 

That’s a pretty neat idea, especially if it was integrated into the concept of tethering even during aggressive state (so that you could have a mean aggressive guard dog that would only be able to travel so far from the hitching post). Will be looking into this in the near future.

, do you still plan to do that or have you thought of other methods like dino cages for flyers that has a automatic opening hatch at the top and has like a habitat for them  on the inside or cool ways to keep your dinos organized with out having them all run off cause a dilo got cocky in his spitting abilities.

Love the game and can't wait to see how it all turns out!!! Great Job!!!

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jat. Please, my one an only question that i want to know that i think would make the game that much better for the Notame servers. It never got answered in the last digest.

Would you ever consider making it so we can have a shoulder pet on no taming servers, even if its just one pet per character. As good as no taming is. I think this would make it even better to have a jerboa for scorch for example. Thanks

Hi Jat and the rest of the team,

I've been so appalled by the things posted on the subreddit lately that I thought I would have to voice my opinion. It seems this community only reaches out when they have something to complain about. I remember a time when the critism was constructive and delivered with class. I am embarrassed by the way my fellow survivors behave. 

So let me get to the point. ARK Survival is my most played game on steam. I bought it about two years ago and I've played 1400 hours ever since. I have 420 hours in my second most played game, just to put it in perspective. I know this amount may be pretty average, but already getting about two months worth of hours of enjoyment for 20 dollars is insane. 
I realize that a lot of the complaints come from pvp official servers about balance and peformance. I've played most of my hours on RP servers, where people treat each other with respect and pvp is done in moderation. No one gets wiped off the face of the map, unless they really asked for it. RP players don't represent the majority of your playerbase, but I'd like to point out just how amazing this game is, when it is, in my opinion, played right. So I asked myself the question: How did you steal 1400 hours from my life?

You weren't the first to make a sandbox game. You weren't the first to make a survival game. And so on with open world, multiplayer, base-building, early-access and even dinosaurs. But you were the first to combine them. You provided me and the rest of your players with a canvass. A setting, wherein I have had so many fantastic experiences. And that is really all you, as a game developer, can do. You can't ensure that your players have fun. But you can give them to tools and set them on their way. And in that regard, I personally think you have done well. ARK is and probably always will be my favorite game, so thank you for making it possible. 

I'll throw in a little question as well: After the official release of the game, will the "Handcrafted leather-bound Explorer's Notebook" be available for seperate purchase? Thank you!

Third and final question for this week: 

One of the biggest advantages of playing on Ragnarok is that it has a much higher average dino level the either of the Official maps. At least for Singleplayer and Unofficial Servers, could we get a config option to bump up the level average on Internally Developed ARKs?

Just one question. I've got friends that play on Xbox and we really want to host our own server. Playing on public servers seems to be an act of futility. PVE is normally all claimed and PVP is ruthless. The option to host a server with an extra Xbox is a bit ridiculous. I have a powerful PC though on Windows 10. The Play Anywhere option to host a server seems nice and a confirmed date for release would be awesome so I can plan on returning to Ark.

Hi! I think these community digests are a great way to engage with your player base, and while you can't answer everyone's questions, I appreciate you all taking your time to do your best. Thank you.

1. Are there any plans to check the growth of mega-tribes or to prevent an Alpha from taking over and locking down an entire server? While I understand the reasons players do this, you end up with an official server designed to hold 70/100 people only being utilized by 5-10 players. These don't fit your criteria for wiping, but they are a drain on your company's resources. I believe you said you are paying 100,000 per month for current servers, so you're looking at a decent amount of money per server a month to maintain a server for 5 people.

2. Are you looking into attempting to bulk up PvP defense? I don't necessarily think ORP is what's required but currently a player can transfer onto a server with a couple of high level turtles and some C4 and make the rounds of the server draining turrets, then blasting in. I don't expect a small base to withstand an attack from a large group of players, but I think that it currently heavily favors raiders vs defenders. Personally, I think that it should be easier to defend than to attack as this encourages players to build, which leads to more long-term dedicated *cough addicted cough* players, rather than driving players away.

These are some of the issues that are preventing me, as well as other dedicated but mid-level players, from fully embracing, and growing with, this game. I fully understand that your type of game needs to appeal to hardcore players, as it would not be fully utilized or sustained by the type of players who will play a FPS casually an hour or two a week, but it currently feels balanced in favor of toxic players who enjoy destroying for the sake of destroying. I feel that if you were to implement some ways for even mid-level players to be able to find some level of success (and to have something to come back to if they have to not log in for a few days) then you would  be encouraging long term growth versus a short term population boom.

Two questions:

1. Are we going to see the other creatures in the dev kit on Scorched Earth? i.e. the Hive and Swarm/Lamprey
  2. I know you said some dossiers may get re-written, but some creatures I feel like aren't what some of us envisioned. We all thought the Liopleurodon was going to be a perm tame found near the surface to use in early deep dives, but instead got a little too much of a Charlie the Unicorn reference lol that is only tamable for 30 minutes. Giant Bees, this personally had potential but is only used for honey when I thought they might be possible shoulder mounts that create a little cannon fodder army passively to protect you and the bee. The big one I think everyone was a little disappointed in at least, the Titanosaur, was depicted in its dossier to be a mobile base camp, but instead we got a war machine for 24 hours which was good for PvP but not for PvE. So is there any chance we will see these and others touched up on?

1. When will you do optimization pass on dinos/structures loading, and maybe adding occlusion culling?
  2. Any plans on reducing number of dinos need to maintain kibble supply or maybe there are plans to rework capture mechanics all together so we wont need to spend 4-8 hours to get them without kibble?
  3. Any plans on changing breeding system to address feeding/imprinting our baby dinos while we sleep/at work?

- Is there any plans to make an industrial feeding trough? I like the idea of the tek trough but i dont feel a refrigerated trough should be tek. I mean the industrial forge, grinder, cooker and the chem bench arent tek. Maybe a tek trough can give a maturation boost or something.

- will the option to transfer from legacy to new official servers ever be available? Like in 6 months.

- what all bosses will be available in ragnarok? 

1. Will we ever see the revork of cables ( pipes as well ) how they work, snap ( something like s+ flexsible cable ) or mybe add a battery that you can put in every thing that work on electricity.

2. Will we get triangle building pieces but those in s + are 60 ° and they can t conect 2 fundations next to echader will we see mybe 45° triangels that conect 2 fundations.

3. Are you gonna make more updates that include only scorched earth mybe new caves, boss, creatures, items or mybe map expantion or change or will you just add dinos you add to the island. SE feels kinda forgoten and many say after a month that it gets boaring. I realy like SE but it feels kinda boaring without updates. What are you gonna do?

Three questions okay... 

Q1: Will Ragnarok and future ARKs have lore like Scorched Earth and The Island? I really enjoyed finding the notes and following the story, so I would love to see the tale continue. 

Q2: How will the dino armors work? Like how many tiers will there be? I was thinking it being chitin, metal, and advanced, then tek, could be cool, I would love to see some metal dino armors, kinda like the orc armor in Lord of the Rings, with all the horns and plates looked really cool, I think it would be cool if that was adopted to the dino armor, just a thought .

Q3: Do you have any plans for expanding The Island map?  I have always felt that the border is REALLY close to where the ocean hits bottom and there isn't a lot of room to do anything at the bottom of the ocean, it could also open room for some new islands. 

There three questions done in one comment, probably not what I am supposed to do but oh well.

Love the game can't wait to see it finished!  <3

• Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived