Alpha Animals

Jarbo

On The Island the only alphas I've noticed in more-than-usual numbers is alpha raptors. maybe a touch more alpha carnos.

On The Center it's alpha megalodons and alpha leeds.

I'm enjoying the extra alphas, just wish there were a few more alpha rexes around.

Now if they would just undo the xp from alphas nerf they did back when people were stacking broth of enlightenment's with explorer notes on dinos (before they nerfed soups on dinos) and let us transfer the apex and alpha items from center to island...

what map are you seeing them in groups of 3-6 Jarbo?

I love the extra Alpha's but maybe that's because I am leveling my dino's. I walked out of my base by Draco Cove and found 3 Alpha raptors. my thought was yay. Doing Deep sea drops the other day and saw my first first alpha Megalodon. Went into the easy water cave, found a 180 Alpha Mosa (took like 7 minutes to kill with two 400% melee Mosa's, lol). All welcome to me.

Now I need to see me Moby, Alpha Squid, and some more Alpha Rexes and Carno's. Been stomping all around the mountains looking for Rexes. 

On scorch got to fight my first alpha deathworm (Giga for the win) and my first Alpha Wyvern. 

I enjoy the extra xp and challenge. 

They intentionally doubled the alpha spawn rate, and I think the big groups of alphas are pretty much a result of that.

A lot of it will depend on your server too. If players with the means aren't actively hunting or willing to deal with alphas they tend to build up in areas with mostly new players because those players can't (or don't think they can) kill them. On my server there's a pack of 4 stuck in one of the river valleys leading to the beach, killing everything that goes down there, it started with one level 95 and that girl over a week ago that's still down there, she's just added to her crew.

My thought is they're spawning in then never dying, so eventually all the raptors in an area end up alphas, or they're coming in by chance from other areas of the map and getting stuck due to the geography of the map. The problem only compounds itself, as most of the players in that area might be able to handle one, but trying to take 4 at once seems like a death wish. Yes, I could clear them out, but no one has asked and I'm sort of curious to see how many end up there.

I really like the addition of more alphas too, but like so many other improvements with the game, it adds fringe problems. A cool fix would be if 2 alphas of the same type are in close proximity they'd fight to "establish dominance." That way we'd avoid situations like "Raptor Death Creek" on my server while keeping a higher number but dispersed alphas.

1 hour ago, Jarbo said:

RinAre there any fixes scheduled to reduce the number of Alpha animals that are appearing in game.  I've seen up to 6 in one general location.

There's basically two responses here you will get 

1. People without a good imprinted giga will agree that there's too many and something needs to be done. they will agree six alphas are too risky to engage.. bad things could happen. 

2. People with a giga over.. say 450 melee are now wondering which server your on and why they can't get that on theirs.. you may even be asked before the thread is done. There might even be an individual who actually comes to visit your server to investigate what exactly is  different so they can change that on theirs.

1 hour ago, iAmE said:

Still haven't seen an Alpha Leed on the Island since they were implemented, coming from a person with over 3k hours exclusively living in and around the ocean. 

Another like me, we're a few or what? 

And, yeah, if you go to the sea, I don't know if I'm the only but I always see more Alpha Mosas than Mosas, and no Alpha Leeds, and this has been happening to me in 3 servers already.

19 minutes ago, Megar said:

Another like me, we're a few or what? 

And, yeah, if you go to the sea, I don't know if I'm the only but I always see more Alpha Mosas than Mosas, and no Alpha Leeds, and this has been happening to me in 3 servers already.

We aren't a few. My group controls 6 servers, and plays on 8. We have 6 Islands between us. None of us have ever seen an Alpha Leed on the island, and we're probably 200 people on a bad day. 

Archived