Does ark seem to get real stale, real fast for you?

thanatosixu

First let me say I am in one of those stretches where I do not play the game.. That being said Ark is one of those games I keep coming back to. I play for a month or so, then I end up taking a break. I am also a server host for a couple of popular servers so I do still have to maintain them, but I have scripted them so much that they auto update, do daily restarts, and recover from hangs/crashes on their own. So mostly hands off these days unless I get an email or text from a player letting me know that X spawn is bugged or a new patch came out and X creature is over-populated etc.

One of the problems people run in to in ark is playing on servers with too high of multipliers. A lot of the fun in this game is building that initial base and taming those first few vital dino's. Once you start to get more established and level then that since of danger starts to diminish and you are left with either making a very defensible base or becoming a raider. If you play on a high multiplier server then the game changes in to a raid fest. Everyone ends up getting wiped because rockets, dinos, etc are all extremely easy to acquire in mass.. which means defenses start to account for less.

When I do play I spend a lot of time making new characters on someone else's server. I tend to level up raid a few people and try to solo/duo with a friend until we get finally wiped by a bigger tribe. Then we move to another server and start again. I have always found the new start leveling and raiding a few people aspect pretty fun. It is nice to be that guy that came from nowhere and was not on anyones radar.

This game has tons of ways to play and many things you can do to expand the re-playability of it. In the end I want to say I purchased this game for like 12.99 on sale and I have managed to get around 1800 hrs of play time out of it so far and it still hasn't officially launched. I feel I have definitely got my moneys worth and I also know I will probably pick it back up again in a few weeks to give it another month or two of my time.

So do I think the game is Dull? No, I think the game has more to offer than most people understand, but I do tend to take breaks to play another new game or even an older game with friends. Then I come back and restart my experience all over.

1 hour ago, Deathwaits said:

First let me say I am in one of those stretches where I do not play the game.. That being said Ark is one of those games I keep coming back to. I play for a month or so, then I end up taking a break. I am also a server host for a couple of popular servers so I do still have to maintain them, but I have scripted them so much that they auto update, do daily restarts, and recover from hangs/crashes on their own. So mostly hands off these days unless I get an email or text from a player letting me know that X spawn is bugged or a new patch came out and X creature is over-populated etc.

One of the problems people run in to in ark is playing on servers with too high of multipliers. A lot of the fun in this game is building that initial base and taming those first few vital dino's. Once you start to get more established and level then that since of danger starts to diminish and you are left with either making a very defensible base or becoming a raider. If you play on a high multiplier server then the game changes in to a raid fest. Everyone ends up getting wiped because rockets, dinos, etc are all extremely easy to acquire in mass.. which means defenses start to account for less.

When I do play I spend a lot of time making new characters on someone else's server. I tend to level up raid a few people and try to solo/duo with a friend until we get finally wiped by a bigger tribe. Then we move to another server and start again. I have always found the new start leveling and raiding a few people aspect pretty fun. It is nice to be that guy that came from nowhere and was not on anyones radar.

This game has tons of ways to play and many things you can do to expand the re-playability of it. In the end I want to say I purchased this game for like 12.99 on sale and I have managed to get around 1800 hrs of play time out of it so far and it still hasn't officially launched. I feel I have definitely got my moneys worth and I also know I will probably pick it back up again in a few weeks to give it another month or two of my time.

So do I think the game is Dull? No, I think the game has more to offer than most people understand, but I do tend to take breaks to play another new game or even an older game with friends. Then I come back and restart my experience all over.

It's true, ARK is fun and rewarding because it offers goal setting - accomplishment rewards to the player, psychologically speaking. It is also fun to explore and experience the content of the game.

After achieving the initial setup of your base/dinos, you can try for mid to end game content like caves and bosses. Too bad the current "meta" for bosses is so uncreative and mundane. If we could add a strategy component towards the end game content, it would make it a LOT longer to get bored. Breed 20 rexes and just set attack this target and let the bite for bite begin..This is for the PvE dynamic.

The PvP dynamic is different, where you are forced to rebuild and have that goal-setting mindset much more often. Until you realize you will never go beyond a certain point in progress due to limitations of the game and the same goals are no longer rewarding. It would be a different story if you were part of a large tribe, but I reckon it's just PvE+1 at that point. 

Anyone bored on PvE crossark to a different server where you know no one. Bring with you 0 tames but a metal boat and all the fixings and supplies to make one you can live on. You would be surprised how fun it is to have freedom to move around and no responsibilities to feed or keep anything alive (except yourself)

14 hours ago, thanatosixu said:

i've played ark for a good bit, and lately it seems very stale. Maybe it's the constant crashing of ragnarok, or because ark is really repetitive or poorly optimized. IDK. anyone else share this opinion or have any insight on the matter?

let me know

Not for me. Took me 4000 hours to get bored with it. I'm now playing the similar game (DL) from the same company that owns ARK.

On Wednesday, August 02, 2017 at 7:24 AM, Griffin1984 said:

Take a horse and some simple equipment and go on an adventure :) Your base is safe, a bird is safe. want to break that safe feeling? Go on foot, it will bring back the fun in the game :) 

I know your feeling, that's why i play unofficial :) Higher gather rates, stacking mods (2000 meat stack takes a long time before it's spoiled :) ). You just need to find a good server, but that's the same in official.

Thats funny. Thats my exact thought when im too bored to do anything.. grab a horse, longneck and leather set and go explore, look at scenery and shoot stuff.

This after 2k hours

Depends, really. Like, what map are you playing? Scorched, The Center and Ragnarok have much more longevity than the Island. Scorched can be so unforgiving in the beginning that it'll take players a while to establish a foothold unless they're in a larger tribe. The Center's verticality and unique map design offer more than the Island's 'Forest and more Forest' and Ragnarok's sheer size, biome diversity (and difficulty) and amount of player interactivity with the map itself is really good. 

It's also good to set rules for yourself. For instance; I fly only when I need to, and, when I walk, I only bring large predators if I'm doing something that requires large predators such as deathworm hunting. If I'm exploring, I'll take out a Thorny Dragon or Igunanodon or something and just bring a Tent or a Yurt (Primitive+). If it's resource gathering, then I might take out my Diplodocus. 

Also, breeding, as endgame as it is, is bad if you want some challenge to remain. Bred animals are damn OP and you'll find you'll start stomping everything with impunity. 

But the best thing you can do is find a server that holds events for its players. Those are some of the best and seriously extend ARK's longevity. 

I still enjoy the game, but I definitely see it going stale... I just don't enjoy going out and taming dinos as much after losing so many to bugs/glitches/bad luck

I have been drifting much more toward single player where everything can be setup to be a little less time consuming, but you can't really experience a lot of the game

I have a little over 2k hours since XB1 release, and I really haven't played the game since January. It became incredibly stale; the endgame content adds zero replay value. Besides tech, which on PvE is pretty useless I think, you're just looking for ways to farm more of the same more efficiently.

There's no trade system, no currency, nothing to put any value on what you've done or have in-game besides your own personal belief on what your time is worth. If you're on PvE, there's nothing that separates players. There's no ladder to climb. There's no challenge after a certain point. The further you progress, the easier the game becomes and the less the rewards are worth the time and trouble.

After a certain level, there's just nothing to work towards. There's nothing to play for.

I agree with you. I think the game needs game play elements other than PvP.

Where's the dino AI that makes dinos migrate in an intelligent way instead of doing a random walk algorithm within their vicinity?

Where's the "7 days to die" like heat map of food scent attracting wild dino attacks?

Where's the light weight themepark NPC overlay giving some random human encounters or NPCs handing out missions?

Archived