Leedsichthys removed or nerfed

Venteria

14 hours ago, Arkasaurio said:

Putting the raft in deep water is no real defense against trolls anyway, people know that trick. Just go around the edges of the map on a flier with rockets and sink everything and because it's a boxy blob on open water, your boat sticks out like a sore thumb.

Real advice? Keep your rafts as compact and low as possible, park in the deepest, nastiest, most snake infested part of the swamp as covered as possible by trees. Sailing through the swamp isn't all that annoying once you get used to it and no leeds there. Also, like everything in PvP expect to lose your raft from time to time.

You sir, win the "forumer of the day" award. Despite the OP's best attempt to try and make the situation a paradox by giving those who respond no option to satisfy them, you come through with shining colors with a reasonable and well thought out response. Might not stop the gigas, but it least it was something. I tip my riot helm to you.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Danno334 said:

If you are going to play PvP don't cry about getting killed - that is what PvP is a bunch of kids trying to get their rocks off jumping people weaker than them. If you want a fair fight get into some type of arena game where it is one on one in a challenge mode. If you want to be ganked and then laughed at and spit on then by all means play PvP but don't cry when things don't  go your own way. There is lots of options with this  game, use them.

ARK: Survival of the Fittest

13 minutes ago, Jaedric said:

You sir, win the "forumer of the day" award. Despite the OP's best attempt to try and make the situation a paradox by giving those who respond no option to satisfy them, you come through with shining colors with a reasonable and well thought out response. Might not stop the gigas, but it least it was something. I tip my riot helm to you.

Glad you liked it B|. Imho, parking in the swamp was a better option than parking in deep water before the leeds even. Not many people stomping around the swamp on a giga regularly, and most with a giga aren't going to bother coming back to the swamp just to pop a smallish boat if they do find you. Main point is you've got high level players out in the deep see all the time, farming, underwater loot, etc. etc. There are only a few good reasons to spend time in the swamp, making it the best hiding place for boats.

• 2 months later...

The Leeds should be fixed to go after boats that have been idle for a certain amount of time, one day maybe two. also if you attack or harvest that same whale until killed will always hunt you. I too loved the ocean waters and would bring boats out to escape Alpha tribes and their Gigas and such. This Leeds makes me like the game less, because now for me the waters are useless with boats. Outrunning them is not the point, it is while im a small tribe and offline and want to leave my raft far from shore n Alpha tribes.I just hoe they use these ideas i suggest, the leeds is a coo creature just takes away from the game due to its super aggressive attitude.if they used my ideas the boats that are left unmanned for a day or two,would still be destroyed allowing the game to move at a fast pace. Am i wrong or does this make the most sense allowing us boaters to continue to enjoy the open sea?

Also you say go into swamp, yes i do this now but only a matter of time before Alphas catch on. Also some people like cruising the ocean n be able to stop from time to time get off line to go eat, come back n continue. We need the ocean for balance alot more ground to cover for alphas to find you. You could switch back n forth between swamp ocean continue to move. If some one raids me out there im not complaining they found me good effort, but the leeds are in need of alterations.

On 7/31/2017 at 6:09 PM, TubsTheBear said:

This is a survival game, things are meant to be annoying.  If we removed everything that was annoying we would have just flat open landscape with nothing on it.

Whales have ruined any sailing on PvP servers. You can't have tames on PvP because every single night someone will come through and wipe your base. Boats were the last chance at having a base for solo players but with alpha whales destroying boats in 2 hits there's really no reason to play ark anymore. Pve blows every server is loaded with bases covering every inch of the spawns. PvP is unplayable due to whales and 80 people tribes. SP has no one to do anything with. In short whales need nerfed. Shouldn't lose your boat in 2 hits from a whale hiding under rocks. Not even gonna go into the whole fact the the alpha tribes build behemoth gates forcing you to go into open water. I never saw any need for Leeds in PvP. I'm literally limited to spawn in make a club and some clothes then roll around just hoping to find someone that's not on a wyv.

Motor boat cannot outrun alpha leeds. They want leeds to 2 shot boats fine. Put a dino in the game that can kill platform paracers and brontos in two hits. See how the land players like it. 

Not sure where people got the idea that boats meant safety or immunity to attack. Ride out there on a dolphin and c4 the thing.

There are currently no dinos in the game that will just walk up on their own and destroy your house just because. I see no reason a fish should do it. PvE or PvP the thing is unbalanced toward the land game.

Devs wanted it to counter boats and what they did was kill it. Stay close to shore is not a solution. Might as well just walk a paracer along the water if you are going to do that. 

On 01/08/2017 at 9:43 PM, Arkasaurio said:

Glad you liked it B|. Imho, parking in the swamp was a better option than parking in deep water before the leeds even. Not many people stomping around the swamp on a giga regularly, and most with a giga aren't going to bother coming back to the swamp just to pop a smallish boat if they do find you. Main point is you've got high level players out in the deep see all the time, farming, underwater loot, etc. etc. There are only a few good reasons to spend time in the swamp, making it the best hiding place for boats.

Swants the best place to do a meat run on a giga.  If the alpha destroys rafts on their Gigas then the swamp is probably not the best place to hide 

11 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Swants the best place to do a meat run on a giga.  If the alpha destroys rafts on their Gigas then the swamp is probably not the best place to hide 

Gigas in the swamps are a problem, but in my experience rafts have always gone longer undetected (and un destroyed/raided) sitting in the swamps than anywhere on the open ocean, that was true before Leeds were in the game. There are a lot of little out of the way spots, its not as though meat runners are (usually) exploring every nook and cranny.

If we're being totally honest here, the best place to hide a raft is as clipped into an indestructible rock formation as possible. I try to avoid blatant exploits of that type though.

The Leeds is a sloppy poorly thought out feature that was not needed for ridding servers of rafts. First of all Devs already put in a demo timer for rafts after the Leeds was put in the game. 

v266.0
- Rafts can be demolishable across all servers after a period of time.

Second of all, if they wanted to remove the raft clutter all they needed to do was remove the tribe log effect of reporting the person who destroyed your raft. Treat rafts like a structure and not like a tame in what info it shows in your tribe log. All the beach noob griefers would clean the rafts up nicely.

Oh joy. Another person that doesn't do well off on a pvp official server, so instead of going to a place that suits their needs, they complain and want yet another nerf to something that was introduced for the very reason they want it nerfed for. Before that whale, boat tribes were ridiculous and far more troll infested than the main land. Even as an alpha tribe, we had issues defending our stuff from them, so gg to anyone smaller without even half of the resources. They would row in, blow up everything, row out. Then go hide their boat in a random spot in the ocean and we had until they got on the next day to find it and rocket it into the water. After literally the 30th time of doing this to the same tribe it is no longer fun pvp, and instead just pest control. That fish made those same scrubs either leave or find other ways to annoy the general population of the game. Usually ways that actually gave the smaller tribes a chance to fight back. Want to have a boat parked in the middle of the ocean? Cool. Sink foundations to stop the leeds from getting to the boat. Want to live on the main land with all of those trolling giga tribes? Cool. Hide your base and have a million. Just because you are uncreative doesn't mean that the rest of the community should suffer. 

I hate them too. Always scared when I drive my precious taming raft into the ocean. Constantly hugging coast but some spots there is no shallow water. I've seen 2 alpha leeds and 1 normal leeds within a few weeks and that's too much. 

Damn son use punctuation. It's terrible to read. Don't make stupid excuses.

On 7/31/2017 at 7:35 PM, Arkasaurio said:

One of the main reasons they were introduced into the game is specifically to target rafts/boats. The speed boat can out run them.

And the sad irony is that it doesn't target the right rafts. The problem Ark has had for a long time is dozens of rafts littering the beaches on every server, and they don't to anything to help with that problem. What has never been a problem in ARK is too many rafts sitting out in deep water.

By adding the Leed to the game WC has "solved" a problem that didn't exist in the first place while simultaneously failing to solve the problem that actually did exist. All they've accomplished is to make it impossible for people to use rafts far out in the ocean as back up locations for spawning and occasionally storing some extra supplies. The beaches-littered-with-rafts problem will continue to plague the game.

On 7/31/2017 at 5:21 PM, Venteria said:

So me and my friends had just finished grinding out a mini gun and ballista turret and were driving our boat around and out of nowhere we see one these gay things an alpha as well and it TWO SHOTS our boat destroying everything and then later that day we were driving another boat a transport barge and out of nowhere I had to pistol whip the thing so it could die while my friend was piking it so I'm thinking either we remove it or nerf it because people leave their boats in random spots because it stops players with gigas from destroying the boat when it's on shore or near shore so they go and destroy it because trolls but leaving it in the deep means getting it wrecked  by the leedsichthys so I'm thinking make it to where it doesn't Aggro on boats at all and if your gonna have it aggro on boats then make it to where it aggression only on idle boats that have been idle for a certain amount of time because it's annoying as hell to constantly kill them it makes driving boats alone impossible because you have to kill it otherwise you lose everything 

Punctuation saves lives.

"Lets eat grandma"

Let's eat, Grandma"

Rexes ate all of my tames. I left them just outside my base on passive, and the rexes came up and ate them anyway. This is stupid, and Rexes are overpowered. Wildcard should remove the Rex from the game. You can't even defend your tames from them. The grasslands are dead now, no one wants to play because they're too scared of Rexes eating their undefended tames. I was running around on my raptor the other day an Alpha Rex came out of nowhere and ate me. It was so stupid, I didn't even have a chance to fight back. The devs clearly didn't think about how stupid rexes are before they made them part of the game...it's not even fun having them around. I shouldn't have to spend time defending my stuff from Rexes. 

That sounds kind of silly, doesn't it?

On 10/18/2017 at 3:10 PM, Pipinghot said:

And the sad irony is that it doesn't target the right rafts. The problem Ark has had for a long time is dozens of rafts littering the beaches on every server, and they don't to anything to help with that problem. What has never been a problem in ARK is too many rafts sitting out in deep water.

By adding the Leed to the game WC has "solved" a problem that didn't exist in the first place while simultaneously failing to solve the problem that actually did exist. All they've accomplished is to make it impossible for people to use rafts far out in the ocean as back up locations for spawning and occasionally storing some extra supplies. The beaches-littered-with-rafts problem will continue to plague the game.

At first the leeds could belly flop in 2 feet of water. I haven't played much recently, but they introduced a despawn timer (or similar) for rafts didn't they? That was more geared at solving the issue you mention, which I agree is/was an issue.

However, I'm not sure targeting raft spam was really the main reason they added the leeds. It came in around the same time they nerfed fliers and was another pretty clear indicator that WC wanted to make getting around the map more difficult. Love or hate that goal, it's one of the reasons they stated for the flier nerf, so I've always thought of leeds as a similarly aimed raft nerf.

Archived