Transfer of Character (not items) from legacy server to non-legacy.

rp0029

kinda hard to have a fresh, fair start when day 1 you have level 100 going against level 1s.  Doesn't make sense on any level and defeats the purpose.

I don't agree with a lot of the things they do.  Like giving a release date and then delaying by weeks screwing over everyone who called off to get a start on their base/tribe to be competitive and go for alpha.  It's nothing new in the gaming industry and many many devs do it, but it is messed up.  At the end of the day I absolutely love Ark.  I've taken breaks from it, but I play it more than any other game.  I am a huge fan and the way they handled this aspect could not have been done better.

Want a fresh fair start?  Play new officials.

Want to keep your current stuff and keep going? Play legacy.

Best of both worlds and a great decision.

It's not really a fresh fair start though is it.  

New player starts at lvl 1 walks around lost on the south Beach and gets eaten by a dilo,  spends a week to build a nice stone Hut. 

Legacy player starts at lvl 1,  meets up with his 10 friends he already tribes with,,  tames a trike, grinds narcs and spam builds rafts with shared XP,  then goes and wipes all the real new players with pteras and frogs and grenades before they have even tamed their first dodo. 

32 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

New player starts at lvl 1 walks around lost on the south Beach and gets eaten by a dilo,  spends a week to build a nice stone Hut. 

Legacy player starts at lvl 1,  meets up with his 10 friends he already tribes with,,  tames a trike, grinds narcs and spam builds rafts with shared XP,  then goes and wipes all the real new players with pteras and frogs and grenades before they have even tamed their first dodo. 

Not much anyone can do about that though. It's just the poorly-designed nature that is Ark PVP (not as bad on PVE but land claiming is still an issue so...). There's a reason I don't play ARK PvP afterall.

15 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Not much anyone can do about that though. It's just the poorly-designed nature that is Ark PVP (not as bad on PVE but land claiming is still an issue so...). There's a reason I don't play ARK PvP afterall.

That's the whole point of this post,  let us transfer our high level characters,  save us time power leveling,  we're going to be higher level and dominate everyone anyway

4 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

That's the whole point of this post,  let us transfer our high level characters,  save us time power leveling,  we're going to be higher level and dominate everyone anyway

...eyeeah no. Just because it's 'gonna happen eventually', doesn't mean I condone giving already established players the 'easy way up'. No...work for your levels like everyone else if you decide to start fresh. At least that way the new players can get SOME chance at fun before they realize they should have avoid pvp official from the get-go...

Or you know...you can be the better person and help those new players out instead of letting them run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Though any person coming into ARK I sure hope have done some research beforehand. If they were smart, they'd go straight to SP,  PVE official, or unofficial servers and leave PVP official in the dust since it's a lost cause imo.

But hey just my opinion.

experienced players will still crush newer players, my laptop died so I was forced to play on my PS4 , out of curiosity I set out to find out how many levels I could get as quickly as I could with the minimal amount of effort. Took me two deaths and two hours to get lvl 65 using nothing but a stone pick, a torch and google on official PVE thanks to the evo event.

2 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

That seems like a completely fair advantage to folks who were willing to support the company and buy EA - we paid to get the experience (technically never being guaranteed a release) and especially because EA is open anyone could have that advantage if they'd wanted it. Regardless, that only matters for the first couple of weeks anyway, strong gamers that do there homework on how to succeed in Ark but were unwilling to buy EA won't be that far behind.

Besides, except for those who purchased as soon as the game hit EA, that's the experience most of us had. If getting brutalized by the more powerful and experienced players until you figure out what's going isn't the quintessential Ark official PvP experience, I don't know what is :D.

As for not transferring characters, I think never allowing it the safest move from WC's perspective so there's no, "whoops, someone actually figured out how to bring items with them." Otherwise, it's a bad idea on launch, huge advantage to not having to grind out a level 100 and just getting to go all out, but I actually don't see it really hurting to allow naked character transfer 1, 3, 6 months (whatever it is) down the road when there are plenty of others at high levels running around.

4 hours ago, Ulta said:

...eyeeah no. Just because it's 'gonna happen eventually', doesn't mean I condone giving already established players the 'easy way up'. No...work for your levels like everyone else if you decide to start fresh. At least that way the new players can get SOME chance at fun before they realize they should have avoid pvp official from the get-go...

Or you know...you can be the better person and help those new players out instead of letting them run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Though any person coming into ARK I sure hope have done some research beforehand. If they were smart, they'd go straight to SP,  PVE official, or unofficial servers and leave PVP official in the dust since it's a lost cause imo.

But hey just my opinion.

people seem to think and alpha is a permanent position on these forums and its not. look at GTJack3d's official series (that i used to watch every day) he became alpha on his server and he did a good chunk of the series solo. ps. you're saying it likes it fact this and your profile picture are why  often find myslef reacting negativwely towards you

2 hours ago, raaazboy said:

people seem to think and alpha is a permanent position on these forums and its not. look at GTJack3d's official series (that i used to watch every day) he became alpha on his server and he did a good chunk of the series solo. ps. you're saying it likes it fact this and your profile picture are why  often find myslef reacting negativwely towards you

I like GTJack3d a lot, but just a point of clarification, he's on an ORP PVP server, which actually makes the solo player thing possible. And he ended up having to recruit a bunch of people to be really competitive anyway

2 hours ago, raaazboy said:

Pfff it's just a drawing dude. I'm not taking your profile pic like your singing your comment to me (although in hindsight, I should cause that would be funny).

And as someone said, that guy plays on a PVP ORP server...NOT official in other words. AND he got help. So that was a poor example. You can play solo yes, but you ain't getting far thanks to those alpha's, on official anyway. It's either join them or die most often. Not very fun imo unless your a masochist, and even then official pvp in ARK condones megalomaniac and sadistic behavior, or lose everything. Nope. Not for me, and anyone I recommend ARK to I be sure to tell them the same. Avoid official like the plague when it's like how it is. I'll change my mind when things change.

12 hours ago, jpcab said:

thats not really a choice...this is a wipe disguised..with no new player's legacy will die inevitably..sooner or later

Your statement is entirely false and borderline trollish.

There is absolutely nothing stopping new players from joining the Legacy servers at all.

In fact, I would not be surprised if a bunch of the new guys after a few weeks move to existing Legacy servers.

Tame a level 150 and discuss it in chat. Responses range from, 'Yeah I had one like that last year when I started my breeding line', too, 'You want a real dino of that type, go check out Legacy, they have level 350+ dinos on birth.'

BOOM, I would be on Legacy in a second.

39 minutes ago, Palenor said:

There is absolutely nothing stopping new players from joining the Legacy servers at all.

In fact, I would not be surprised if a bunch of the new guys after a few weeks move to existing Legacy servers.

Tame a level 150 and discuss it in chat. Responses range from, 'Yeah I had one like that last year when I started my breeding line', too, 'You want a real dino of that type, go check out Legacy, they have level 350+ dinos on birth.'

you must be talking about PvE because I cant think of anyone who is going to hear that and come to the same decision in PvP. I think the likelihood of someone joining a legacy PvE server is much higher than someone joining a legacy PvP one 

47 minutes ago, Palenor said:

Lol I was gonna say the same as above but he beat me too it.  Blatantly pve,  no new players will join pvp legacy,  they are too far behind, it doesn't sound like fun to join a server with lvl 350 dinos when you have never even bred your first ptera. 

90% of existing players and all new players ( except the ones that are lost or stupid)  will join the new official servers,  legacy servers are no longer official and are on a wipe list. Maybe the PvE ones will be OK,  but no one wanted a wipe for pve anyway, the pvp servers are going too die a rapid death. Like 3 months and all legacy servers are done for.

17 hours ago, ReturnToArk said:

kinda hard to have a fresh, fair start when day 1 you have level 100 going against level 1s.  Doesn't make sense on any level and defeats the purpose.

I don't agree with a lot of the things they do.  Like giving a release date and then delaying by weeks screwing over everyone who called off to get a start on their base/tribe to be competitive and go for alpha.  It's nothing new in the gaming industry and many many devs do it, but it is messed up.  At the end of the day I absolutely love Ark.  I've taken breaks from it, but I play it more than any other game.  I am a huge fan and the way they handled this aspect could not have been done better.

Want a fresh fair start?  Play new officials.

Want to keep your current stuff and keep going? Play legacy.

Best of both worlds and a great decision.

They screwed over no one.. jat has clearly stated that players should not call off or take vacation because every patch/release is a best case scenario and not set in stone..

1 hour ago, Palenor said:

i have every right of having my opinion...so go call names to whom you belong or to your friends.

The opinion i stated it s just my feeling of what is going to happen..wrong or not we shall see.

Nothing more nothing less.

legacy servers are going to die. My feeling, my opinion.

Archived