Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyDeath

PC-PS4 Cross Platform

Haven't found much info on this topic but has cross platform for PC to PS4 out yet? If not, when should it be coming? Is it releasing with the PS4 launch or what?

Does anyone have info on how its going to work? Can PS4 players connect to current PC servers or will PC players have to connect to the PS4 servers?

Yeah Sony is against cross-play because of their inherent need to protect under 18's from the Ville that is fellow gamers..  their stance is that they have a duty to protect from abuse and its built into those eula that you never read.. they have said that they can't say the same for other platforms so wouldn't like to open their younger players to abuse

10 minutes ago, Hobgobblin247 said:

Yeah Sony is against cross-play because of their inherent need to protect under 18's from the Ville that is fellow gamers..  their stance is that they have a duty to protect from abuse and its built into those eula that you never read.. they have said that they can't say the same for other platforms so wouldn't like to open their younger players to abuse

explains alot xD

5 hours ago, JohnnyDeath said:

Last I heard, they announced Cross Platform at E3. Something like PS4/Steam connected and Windows for PC/Xbox connected. 

They did announce it, but they didn't confirm what was happening because those details weren't finalised. The Xbox/Win10 (the "Play Anywhere" initiative) is happening but with regards to the PS4, they always said it was something they hoped to be able to do, but ultimately it was down to Sony. They managed to get an unfinished game into the PS Store so perhaps they thought following on from that Sony may soften their stance, but who knows.

7 minutes ago, TranqRex said:

They did announce it, but they didn't confirm what was happening because those details weren't finalised. The Xbox/Win10 (the "Play Anywhere" initiative) is happening but with regards to the PS4, they always said it was something they hoped to be able to do, but ultimately it was down to Sony. They managed to get an unfinished game into the PS Store so perhaps they thought following on from that Sony may soften their stance, but who knows.

Well there is some hope since they mentioned it once in early 2017 then again at E3, they must be some sort of insight they have from Sony or they would have kept quiet, at least one would think. 

58 minutes ago, Hobgobblin247 said:

actually you are wrong. It is up to game developers as to whether to allow cross-play or not. Sony has already said that they aren't against it. They are just against it with Nintendo and Xbox for whatever reason. Which is dumb lol

Edited by Zuesneith

1 hour ago, Zuesneith said:

actually you are wrong. It is up to game developers as to whether to allow cross-play or not. Sony has already said that they aren't against it. They are just against it with Nintendo and Xbox for whatever reason. Which is dumb lol

Well if you have read the same articles that I have, they say that they need to protect their player base and aren't keen to connect to other platforms that they can't control.. sound like what I said.. don't know how I got that wrong...

Example 1: 

http://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-06-13-sony-defends-decision-to-block-cross-play-with-xbox-one-and-nintendo-switch

Example 2(all though it links back to example 1)

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/15/15807138/sony-playstation-cross-network-play-xbox-block-response

In fact if you just Google it, you can see a lot of articles where whilst at E3 they said what you said, they have since announced via Sony reps to journalists that it's not going to happen as they need to protect their player base

Edited by Hobgobblin247
Spelling

3 hours ago, Hobgobblin247 said:

Well if you have read the same articles that I have, they say that they need to protect their player base and aren't keen to connect to other platforms that they can't control.. sound like what I said.. don't know how I got that wrong...

Example 1: 

http://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-06-13-sony-defends-decision-to-block-cross-play-with-xbox-one-and-nintendo-switch

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/15/15807138/sony-playstation-cross-network-play-xbox-block-response

In fact if you just Google it, you can see a lot of articles where whilst at E3 they said what you said, they have since announced via Sony reps to journalists that it's not going to happen as they need to protect their player base

But they are open to it for PC is what I'm saying. 

13 hours ago, Grandta said:

Thought Sony was against cross play these days.

Sony has been doing cross platform way longer than microsoft has(PS2 days). Sony just don't want to with the other 2 consoles because Sony is slaughtering them in sales & they wouldn't benefit from it. Seriously 90% of gamers have no clue DILO they are talking about and just regurgitate what they here. #KnowledgeIsPower.

7 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

I have not seen any official statements on pc to ps4 cross play... Not saying it wont happen in the future but for now I would just hang tight and see if they make a announcement at a later date. 

Yeah, they are talking about cross play for other games, not just Ark. They were saying that ps4 doesn't do it at all, when that isn't true. 

20 hours ago, Hobgobblin247 said:

Example 1: 

Well thats Sony saying they wont cross platform with other consoles. Im talking about when WildCard mentioned Steam/PS4 which is different.

1 hour ago, JohnnyDeath said:

Well thats Sony saying they wont cross platform with other consoles. Im talking about when WildCard mentioned Steam/PS4 which is different.

I'm pretty sure when they say the won't connect to other systems the can't control then that kinda means steam as well... I want to be wrong on this but I don't see it happening anytime soon.. it's not in Sony's interest at the moment

17 hours ago, TheNeoReaper said:

Sony has been doing cross platform way longer than microsoft has(PS2 days). Sony just don't want to with the other 2 consoles because Sony is slaughtering them in sales & they wouldn't benefit from it. Seriously 90% of gamers have no clue DILO they are talking about and just regurgitate what they here. #KnowledgeIsPower.

I mean, Sony was against mods for Fallout 4 and Skyrim as far as I know. It's not unlikely that they're against cross-platforms.

Wouldn't be surprised if they want to safezone their customers from people with better hardware and better input devices. Or other PC shenanigans like cheating.

But I'm curious since I'm not a Playstation user. Can you name cross-platform titles Sony had with a PC or other consoles not including PS3 to PS Vita and vice versa? I honestly can't think of one. And all I see asking Google is how stubborn Sony is and how the company locks-off all cross-platforming.

Edited by Jostabeere

3 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

I mean, Sony was against mods for Fallout 4 and Skyrim as far as I know. It's not unlikely that they're against cross-platforms.

Wouldn't be surprised if they want to safezone their customers from people with better hardware and better input devices. Or other PC shenanigans like cheating.

But I'm curious since I'm not a Playstation user. Can you name cross-platform titles Sony had with a PC or other consoles not including PS3 to PS Vita and vice versa? I honestly can't think of one. And all I see asking Google is how stubborn Sony is and how the company locks-off all cross-platforming.

I think there have been a few, but literally only like 2-3 that I know of

I wouldn't say that PS is slaughtering xbox by any means.. but yes they currently have a market share advantage(likely to change with xbox one X launch).

All that aside Sony has been pretty firm on their stance on the cross platform support. IF it is a Sony game that they control and can offer cross platform on then they are all for it, but a game they have no control over that is on multiple platforms will lead to rule enforcement issues... this is why they do not want to do cross play for a lot of the titles starting to offer it. Sony wants complete control of handling abuse claims and such.. they can't do that with ark crossplay