So end of August release: Wheres the big Kibble rework? We're at cap again

JetJaguar

Official PVE 441 - Once again at tamed cap. Lots of public chat discussion. Recall when you all said the tribes should play Sociologis and work it out amongst themselves with how to handle tamed dino caps on the server? We've got everything from people wanting to make taming lists that the server keeps to Accusatory back and forth about who needs what tames/dinos, etc. This really isnt something that should be on us, the players/customers.  What the hell ever happened to a potential dino storage option?

Wheres the kibble rework? Whats the status? Whats the ultimate plan here with it?

This has been something people have asked about for months if not over a year now. We get it: Jen said you guys didnt want to tweek it during the beta. You are at the very end now of all of this and this is a HUGE problem that has been there for a painfully long period of time. When can we expect this finally? No one wants to log in and deal with arguing or debating what to kill off if you are well within tribe tame limit.

EDIT: (7/31/2017):

Heres what I'm having a difficult time getting my head around: I paid for this video game already. I expect the gaming company to define the rules and boundries by which I can play the game online. Not me or strangers who have no connection to the video game company, coming up with rules and regulations on the fly. I dont do work 9 to 5 and log into a video game to then play mediator between various other individuals within an online gaming community. Its not my job to play online video game police or sociologist. I cant sit here and work with college kids, high school kids, adults, etc that all have a different theory or idea on how excess dinos should be handled within the server we play on. Nor are all the players online going to understand me in General chat since they dont all speak English..

We go back to square one in 2015 when the game was being fleshed out: did anyone at the drawing board consider these issues "down the line" after the game was going to be out for awhile or was the idea: "Eh, not our problem. Let them deal with it?". While its easy to sit here and throw it back in my face or other player's faces that we should just work it out ourselves, thats not a solution and not something you want to hear from a customer service stand point.

Some suggestions like...

• Instead of allowing NEW players to join an already crowded server or server at tame cap, the NEW players are sent to less populated servers. There is absolutely NO guidance of any kind when selecting a server. I agree with the earlier post about why posting tame limits would be a BAD idea, however, there CLEARLY needs some type of system to steer new players AWAY from crowded/capped servers.
  • Regional locks: Why on earth cant US players play on US servers, Chinese Players on Chinese servers, Europeans on European servers, etc? Half the time our chat are blocks from Chinese players or Portuguese which the bulk of US players cant understand. I know there are Euro and Chinese servers; why cant people be limited to their region? Most other game companies have put this into effect? What benefit is it? Cultural intergration?
  • There have been TONS of suggestions on how to handle tamed dinos: dinos per level, dinos per PERSON, etc.

So wait a second: you disagree with my points of view or suggestions? Now imagine a long ass day of work or doing whatever, only to log into your relaxing video game and find out people disagree with YOUR suggestions on tamed dino caps. Now you get to spend the next few hours at night debating/suggesting solutions to strangers in General chat, some of which dont understand you at ALL since they dont speak English, on how to solve the problem...sounds like a fun night.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

make wild dinos lay more eggs

remove the necessity to keep a male of a species just to make the females lay more

Make eggs a somewhat rare drop for killing a female Dino

Remove the necessity of oviraptors ( just a useless tame taking up space and Dino cap)

Increase the amount that large dinos eat so that you don't have bases that have 45 gigas (an actual thing on my server, most are duped)

Get off your wildcard butts and do something. If I can come up with fixes that make sense of the top of my head, why can't you guys. Hire me?

16 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

You really think WC cares about players bickering on a server when they're knee deep in delays, duping, and bad press ?

Its going to take a long time for stuff like this to get worked on, if ever.

WC's advice was to "work it out yourselves". So if theres bickering on servers, then its at the advice given.... Not my game, not my neighboring tribes game. We just purchased it to play and have fun.

13 minutes ago, Thugalicious said:

make wild dinos lay more eggs

remove the necessity to keep a male of a species just to make the females lay more

Make eggs a somewhat rare drop for killing a female Dino

Remove the necessity of oviraptors ( just a useless tame taking up space and Dino cap)

Increase the amount that large dinos eat so that you don't have bases that have 45 gigas (an actual thing on my server, most are duped)

Get off your wildcard butts and do something. If I can come up with fixes that make sense of the top of my head, why can't you guys. Hire me?

Umm why would a food consumption increase lower the amount of gigas? 45 gigas aren't that hard to raise bud maybe they are just at a different level than you possibly? your ideas honestly would take away some realism and Not change much from what I can see  i.e.:  instead of a male, people would just have another female etc. your intentions are good, but not seeing the big picture. I do like the idea of fem dino having the chance to drop eggs on kill, but again this wouldn't change much towards the cap it would still be there. Agreed with earlier poster WC has many more pressing issues than this, your server will have to work it out as honestly many have and it's not an issue. 

17 minutes ago, Thugalicious said:

Clearly you don't own any giga's. They already eat quite a lot/need food faster due to their low base food stat/food increase per level. I have ankies that haven't been fed in 3 weeks but if I don't feed gigas every 5 days they die.

11 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

Umm why would a food consumption increase lower the amount of gigas? 45 gigas aren't that hard to raise bud maybe they are just at a different level than you possibly? your ideas honestly would take away some realism and Not change much from what I can see  i.e.:  instead of a male, people would just have another female etc. your intentions are good, but not seeing the big picture. I do like the idea of fem dino having the chance to drop eggs on kill, but again this wouldn't change much towards the cap it would still be there. Agreed with earlier poster WC has many more pressing issues than this, your server will have to work it out as honestly many have and it's not an issue. 

Take away some realism from a game where we tame T-Rex's? Ok. I'm seeing the big picture because I've played on a handful of PvE servers and dino cap has become an issue on each and every one.

Second we have tribes duping and sitting on bases full of gigas while they sell them on Facebook. That IS a problem. Make it so they can't log in for 5 minutes every other day. Make the jerks wasting dino cap and hogging storage space on other servers actually play the game. I have a couple decent sized bases and a Nice egg farm and I'm on every single day. 

I don't think you get how egg farms work. I need a couple dodos around for dolphins. Dolphins die fairly easily and are fast to tame. What does keeping a male around my base add to the game other than eating up dunno cap? They take 5 minutes to tame. I need 1 turtle and 1 trike for kibble eggs. Why do I need a male of each to waste dunno cap? It took 20 minutes to tame them and they add nothing to the game other than sucking up dino cap. I could kill 1/4 of my dino farm if they changed one little thing.

I'm seeing the big picture. A lot of people on the servers I play on a are seeing the big picture. Open your eyes.

37 minutes ago, SwishPapaSweets said:

Hey if you know sooo much about making games then go make one. Otherwise shut up and play. 

Now as I see it more it's delayed more is added and fixed

This is a crap argument. If you go to get a cheeseburger from a restaurant and it's complete crap and undercooked and the cheese has mold on it would you take that excuse? Oh sir I'm sorry your hamburger is crap but if you don't like it then go cook your own.

This is the single worst argument I see used in these forums and it's in almost every thread where someone has a legitimate gripe. Get off the White horse.

the cap should be public and displayed beside the player population when you join the server.

This will help to see which servers are being used for storage and which servers have active people playing on it.

what is the global dino cap amount anyway? Is it different on each map?

I haven't been able to find official info on global cap at all.

A kibble rework definitely needs to be done as they said they would.

52 minutes ago, Thugalicious said:

Take away some realism from a game where we tame T-Rex's? Ok. I'm seeing the big picture because I've played on a handful of PvE servers and dino cap has become an issue on each and every one.

Second we have tribes duping and sitting on bases full of gigas while they sell them on Facebook. That IS a problem. Make it so they can't log in for 5 minutes every other day. Make the jerks wasting dino cap and hogging storage space on other servers actually play the game. I have a couple decent sized bases and a Nice egg farm and I'm on every single day. 

I don't think you get how egg farms work. I need a couple dodos around for dolphins. Dolphins die fairly easily and are fast to tame. What does keeping a male around my base add to the game other than eating up dunno cap? They take 5 minutes to tame. I need 1 turtle and 1 trike for kibble eggs. Why do I need a male of each to waste dunno cap? It took 20 minutes to tame them and they add nothing to the game other than sucking up dino cap. I could kill 1/4 of my dino farm if they changed one little thing.

I'm seeing the big picture. A lot of people on the servers I play on a are seeing the big picture. Open your eyes.

Na I get how egg farms work but no your still not seeing the big picture here. I'm guessing your on Xbox right? 200 dino cap .. ok well your saying the issue is tribes using your server as dino storage eating up tame slots and I get that. So why is that wcs problem? They didn't tell anyone they had to play nice with others so maybe it's time your server, as a whole, stopped playing nice with dino storage. After that's done build rafts .. they count as tame slots.. up to your max. When you want to add a dino simply sink a raft. Easy and no more room for outside storage. If your whole server does that it would avoid future unfortunate incidents with tribes storing dinos there 

43 minutes ago, Demerus said:

the cap should be public and displayed beside the player population when you join the server.

This will help to see which servers are being used for storage and which servers have active people playing on it.

what is the global dino cap amount anyway? Is it different on each map?

I haven't been able to find official info on global cap at all.

A kibble rework definitely needs to be done as they said they would.

add a "unicorn tamed" marker too. But this thread is absurd, some people come in with solutions and a couple go to "Make your own game" 

1 hour ago, JetJaguar said:

WC's advice was to "work it out yourselves". So if theres bickering on servers, then its at the advice given.... Not my game, not my neighboring tribes game. We just purchased it to play and have fun.

Woah man I support a kibble rework too, just think thats a long way off unfortunately,  considering the major issues the game has currently 

1 hour ago, JetJaguar said:

You don't subscribe to World of Warcraft if you do not like grinding quests and dailies.

You don't subscribe to EVE Online if you do not like playing with the constant threat of PvP/griefing.

You don't subscribe to SWTOR if you do not like Star Wars/prefer Star Trek.

It is not Blizzard, CCP Games, or Activision's problem if someone joins their game with special snowflake opinions that contrast with the intended way to play.

"Work it our yourselves" is the intended way to play the ARK: Survival Evolved (as per an apparently official reply from Jen, a community manager/representative). An open-world survival game on a PvE (player versus environment) server demands a certain degree of community coordination in the face of mutual, server-wide issues; like it or not. You, your tribe mates, and your server all are empowered with multiple options on how to address the issue at hand and that's what you all are going to have to do.

Or in short: Not your game? Not their problem.

32 minutes ago, Schizodebauchee said:

You don't subscribe to World of Warcraft if you do not like grinding quests and dailies.

You don't subscribe to EVE Online if you do not like playing with the constant threat of PvP/griefing.

It is not Blizzard, CCP Games, or Activision's problem if someone joins their game with special snowflake opinions that contrast with the intended way to play.

"Work it our yourselves" is the intended way to play the ARK: Survival Evolved (as per an apparently official reply from Jen, a community manager/representative). An open-world survival game on a PvE (player versus environment) server demands a certain degree of community coordination in the face of mutual, server-wide issues; like it or not. You, your tribe mates, and your server all are empowered with multiple options on how to address the issue at hand and that's what you all are going to have to do.

No, Jen says "y'all have too many farms" 

Then someone promises a kibble redo, we are just asking if that is still happening

I dont recall Jen saying she'd work on it privately. I do recall her and Jat, at months apart, each saying its something that is planned...but thats always been the extent of it. I'd think getting it done BEFORE release would be a major goal or else you're just running into dino farms/dino tame caps on the new servers going up with the release.

And yeah like usual, the wiseass/BS comments always follow in the threads where someone questions anything about the game. It goes hand and hand with some of the followers of this game. Be it here on these forums or the Ark Steam forums.

1 hour ago, Schizodebauchee said:

I subscribed to WoW and didn't like grinding quest and dailies. The fun part was the PvP. I just did it because I needed to.

For more context as to what was said about the kibble tree and it being reworked and also Jen's comment on it.

And for the rest of the related comments around that time about the kibble tree.
https://arkdevtracker.com/?search=kibble&services[]=Reddit

And I agree, something needs to be reworked here.  The PVE servers are a mess due to this.  In fact I finally just left the official PVE server I was on due to this and the folks building on resources and blocking other things making the play on the server not fun at all.  Which sucks as there were some nice folks I played with there and it was the only "stable" option at the time as dedicateds are in a terrible state on consoles.

I don't think a Kibble rework will really help. Say they revisit everything and new dinos produce important kibbles, and making their egg drop rates x5. People aren't going to go "Hey now I only need 1 pair of Stegos" they're going to keep their 8 because those females will now produce 5 times faster and will get so many more eggs than a single pair.

It will help confined servers give up their large stables, but dino hoarders will never give up anything, ever.

They WANT to have 8 Stegos and nobody will tell them otherwise. Diplos, Brontos, Dimetrodons, Stegos, doesn't matter. People hoard dinos and unless you're going to kite on PvE you can't really do much about that. Problem lies with the hoarders. Any regular person who sees the server dino limit hitting maximum and seeing other people go "I need X and Y to actually get anywhere" would consider giving up Pachyrhino #7 to help them. Dino hoarders? Nah. This is THEIR SERVER.

I agree, won't change the hoarders minds and likely won't change their behavior like you said.  But it would change mine, though I don't like giant bases nor a lot of dinos to "work" to keep alive.  I'd prefer to just have the minimal ones that I want to play with.  Though that's just me.

Unfortunately solving this and the other sorts of issues that make servers crappy to play on are hard to solve and get right.  One persons fun is not another persons fun for sure.  Which is mostly why I like to steer towards dedicateds when I can as I can be a bit more choosy about the server I play on, their settings and rules they want their community to play by.

I'll also add, as much as I don't want to admit it and don't like it, that they're very unlikely at this point to change things like this, at least something this significant this close to when they want to wrap things up, that and they already passed off the "master" bits for the media that they'll sell in stores, or at least that's what they've implied.  Perhaps post release for online only folks they might change things up, who knows, they've done things I didn't think they would do.  There is a whole lot more left to work on that's not yet been done that also needs attention even with the extra weeks they've given themselves it's going to be a tall order to get Ark into the polished game it needs to be for release.

1 hour ago, LilNastyGurl said:

I don't think a Kibble rework will really help. Say they revisit everything and new dinos produce important kibbles, and making their egg drop rates x5. People aren't going to go "Hey now I only need 1 pair of Stegos" they're going to keep their 8 because those females will now produce 5 times faster and will get so many more eggs than a single pair.

It will help confined servers give up their large stables, but dino hoarders will never give up anything, ever.

They WANT to have 8 Stegos and nobody will tell them otherwise. Diplos, Brontos, Dimetrodons, Stegos, doesn't matter. People hoard dinos and unless you're going to kite on PvE you can't really do much about that. Problem lies with the hoarders. Any regular person who sees the server dino limit hitting maximum and seeing other people go "I need X and Y to actually get anywhere" would consider giving up Pachyrhino #7 to help them. Dino hoarders? Nah. This is THEIR SERVER.

Good point and wording. Was trying to say that earlier.. that people will find a way to stay maxed regardless lol 

While Im in a two man tribe with 400 dinos, i dont own any kibble farms anymore. After 2 years of playing the game i've collected enough eggs to trade around or keep them stored. We've been breeding tons of dinos for stats and mutations and i realised that the issue also lies with boss fights. Having to prepare 20 rexes will force you to have alot of them stored as back-up. We know of many tribes on our server that do the same. I honestly dont believe that they can do anything to stop servers from reaching the cap at one point in the future.

6 hours ago, Thugalicious said:

Make Oviraptors autonomously gather Eggs,  reduce weight of Eggs in their inventory by 75%, and increase the radius of their Egg Buff.

No. Gigas already eat a buttload (as do Tusoteuthis), and require frequent feeding, which is tough on smaller tribes (especially if anyone goes on vacation or can't get on). You yourself state that most of those Gigas are duped, which is a whole other problem.

Archived