Enough of the fog

Surraven

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we play on an official island server. If its not foggy its night time with rain. And even what seems to be a clear day there is a blue haze over the map. Distant mountains and terrain have this mostly. When you are flying around its more noticable. It is also hard to see beacons in the sky without a flying mount.

Default gamma.

After the atmospheric fog patch the sky brightness / fog / ocean literally gives me headache. I have to see that intensity of brightness every single ark day cycle.
Dear developer, does it fuken look immersive to your liking now?  There's so many threads about this in the forum and on Reddit and none of you comment or give opinion on this.

@Jat @TheRightHand

Launch Option:
-USEALLAVAILABLECORES -lowmemory -novsync -high -nomansky -sm4 -d3d10

1.jpg

I like the fog, thanks. It makes the island feel more dangerous, mysterious. Fog actually invokes primal fear in humans that evolution has given us via watching our distant anscestors get eaten by x animal hiding in fog or falling etc. just the fear of the unknown. Anyone else willing to accept realism In their survival game? 

8 facepalms! Going for the record ladies and gents. Still <3 the fog ?

• Volunteer Moderator
10 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

I like the fog, thanks. It makes the island feel more dangerous, mysterious. Fog actually invokes primal fear in humans that evolution has given us via watching our distant anscestors get eaten by x animal hiding in fog or falling etc. just the fear of the unknown. Anyone else willing to accept realism In their survival game? 

Merged your thread with this one. We don't need pro vs con fog threads its all the same subject.. You can comment in here if you like.

The fog and brightness is overkill. Was on a tuso a few days ago underwater, came up and the brightness of the fog (a fog, with brightness. A fog. With brightness. A FOG. WITH &#$(@& BRIGHTNESS) literally blinded me for a few seconds. I thought it was a graphical glitch but it wasn't (relogged/relaunched game, same thing). The only things visible were water creatures.

Non-scenario-wise; The fog does add a sense of realism, however all the time is not realism. Perhaps in certain biomes?

1 hour ago, Mistermjay said:

The fog and brightness is overkill. Was on a tuso a few days ago underwater, came up and the brightness of the fog (a fog, with brightness. A fog. With brightness. A FOG. WITH &#$(@& BRIGHTNESS) literally blinded me for a few seconds. I thought it was a graphical glitch but it wasn't (relogged/relaunched game, same thing). The only things visible were water creatures.

Non-scenario-wise; The fog does add a sense of realism, however all the time is not realism. Perhaps in certain biomes?

I'm on XB1/vizio4k no issues with brightness. What's your gamma settings? I wouldn't doubt this was intentional to "friendly nudge" players to turn down the gamma where they don't have night vision 24/7... but just speculation. Or it could just be a TV/monitor issue my kids game tv is rediculously bright regardless of settings, I could use the thing as a spotlight.

On the center I cant see 5 feet in front of me... and the underwater fog is so bad i cant even see jelly fish till it's too late. You know that fog they "removed from underwater".

Also the underwater fog is now the new weather for 90+% of the day/night cycle on the center its utter bull crap - i thought fog was gonna be awesome but it's literally the most annoying thing ive ever dealt with in a game.

I hate the fog too, it makes the game too bright and eyestraining. Should implement something else for the fog instead of making it washed out like that. 

The dark is also too dark that we have to use gamma setting, then there is FOG ! high gamma + fog = too washed out, why not give ppl better light source or implement something else.

I get it that the game is trying to be realistic but come on, it's annoying. Give better light source for darkness instead of us using gamma anyway and use different technique for illustrating fog, if forgot to change back gamma to normal and combined with fog, it's just so annoying and sometimes will only realize after some time.

On 7/30/2017 at 0:22 AM, KerieKat said:

the slight chance of fog when it rains is actually 100% chance...

I've been tracking over the course of play this weekend on PVE306.  Since Friday Evening EST, literally EVERY day/night on the Island has seen either a period of rain and/or fog.

@Jat

In other words, over the past four real-time days, every "24-hour game-day cycle" has had at least one period of rain or fog, and sometimes both.  It's gotten to the point that we're joking about it in-game chat by offering to sell umbrellas for 1k ings.

The frequency is set WAY TOO HIGH - check your server settings, because somebody screwed up a decimal place.

Archived