Whats a good area to setup on Ragnarok?

dryrain

I recently started Ragnarok on my own private server. Viking bay isnt terrible, if you can stand the annoying pegomastax and Ichthyornis. Aside from the rare stray rex, argent or sabre that sneak down from the jungle, the only real danger are dilos. But it has decent stone and wood for starting out and some metal spawns, and oil if you want to brave the bay

I am personally getting annoyed with the ichthyornis so I'm currently moving near the plains above the bay in view of the haunted castle (but not in the swamp) Its a little more dangerous then near the water as far as rex and alpha spawns, but I like danger and can deal with those as long as I dont have to worry about the stinking birds stealing my crap, lol

I would spawn in Viking Bay to start and pick up a ptera then setup between the highlands and the scorched area/scar.  I mean unless you don't plan on ever having a wyvern.  If that is the case, I would suggest a spot near Blue obi, which has a lot of mineral access, decent land, and is a spawn point for many useful creatures.  The only problem is that it is a decent hike from the Ovis spawns, which are over near Red obi.

I play unofficial with dino mod so can't speak to spawns as they are different. Have 2 bases one by blue obi and other on top of mesa at entrance to canyons. There is a nice cave by blue obi has a couple metal nodes and a couple of crystal. More metal and crystal on top by broken bridge. Able to build in it. Mesa is nice big flat area and path all the way to top. The map has a lot of hidden nooks and crannies fake walls and caves behind stones and waterfalls. Set up a starter base and run around for a bit to find that best place for what you want to do.

safe area will be Highlands, you do have a danger of seeing Gigas and Titans every couple of days tho :D Redwoods is pretty nice, have rivers, beavers lots of wood and stone but terror birds do get annoying :D Stay away from the snow for now, as its freaking cold! and you need MC or Asc fur gear to survive.

Hope that helps :D

Any three of the Jungle spawns are excellent. Jungle 2 will place you by the Blue Obelisk with early access to metal tools in loot crates on the shore.

Jungle 1 places you under a natural rock shelter. It is a rugged area with plenty of metal ore rocks scattered about.

Jungle three by a barren island easily reach by wading across the water there. Metal rock is scarce. There are round stones that give some metal. The barren island has large flat areas suitable for building large base structures. One can easily build a causeway to connect it to the mainland.

Jungle 1, 2, have easy access to metal ore. Wood and fiber is plentiful. Predators are just some spitters and pegomaxes.

Viking bay has good resources as well but a lot more apex predators will show up there quickly including Allos, and Rexes. You will find horses on the east spawn zone there on the slope towards the castle.

I haven't played with the Scotland spawn zones yet. The area near the volcano is more dangerous. But one can find crystal along the beach next to the lava tube.

Don't even think about spawning by the volcano or especially in the swamp. It is a death zone for the new player and even established ones.

I started at N Highlands and I really liked it there It's a little hard getting set up but once you are you have easy access to wyvern eggs. Just build a hut quickly, nights are cold. Now that we are expanding, we moved to the marsh lands since they are so flat, it's easy to build a large continuous base there. One person can keep the riff raff clear while the other puts up a wall and then it's safe to build. The marshes are also close to the canyon for metal farming.

We have a private server with people building bases all over the map, all with different pros and cons.

I built mine on one of the beaches near blue obelisk, on a sweet rock formation that juts out over a bay a bit. The area is fairly close to some metal, with some argents occasionally dropping by to tame for a utility flyer. Most of the other spawns in the area are peaceful, but I have seen one pack of allosaurs on my beach and some rexes on the plains over the hill. The beach originally was packed full of brontos, so many that we had to put down a bunch of spike walls to cull the spawns.

Our group base was on the plains directly north of the upcoming desert. It wasn't a bad place in terms of spawns, other than the titanosaurs, quite a few of those roaming around. This location might be a bit better once the desert opens up since it's very central on the map.

One of the guys in our group built in the center canyons. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a flyer since the cliffs are so steep, but there are resources everywhere. Don't know about the spawns but I've never heard him complain about any problematic wild dinos.

Two of our group members built on the highlands, one near the wyvern canyon and another near the northeast corner of the map. As everyone says, they are rather peaceful and have abundant supplies, but the frequent visits from gigas, titanos, and stray wyverns was enough to keep me away (although I frequently visit for easy metal and such).

One team member built on the beach at Viking Bay, and he doesn't recommend it. He has died from alpha raptors and troodons tons of times. The waters are excellent for black and white pearls though, assuming you can handle the sea scorpions.

While no one has built a full base, we do have a mini base at a lake between Viking Bay and the central canyons, primarily because there are some beaver spawns there. I've seen a lot of terror birds and bears though, along with some griffins, but as of right now I think it's the most central to everything on the map. There's a canyon near those lakes that has tons of metal to keep you stocked, with the canyons not far away.

No one has built near the volcano for obvious reasons, but if you can tolerate heat and bugs I don't see why not.

None of us have built in the redwoods since we hate how restrictive tree platforms are, but it may have potential if the wyverns don't stray from the canyon or snow mountain.

Ultimately, if you want ocean mounts, I'd recommend somewhere around blue obelisk, or tolerating Viking Bay. Flying mounts are pretty prominent near blue obelisk or the central canyons. The canyons and volcano have the best resource spawns, so late game you'll probably be visiting one of those two places often.

You don't have to use only tree platforms in the redwoods. We have 4 or 5 buildings on the ground, a crafting base, a barn for the sheep and horses, a dino building for dino storage, an aviary for flyers (not griffins since they fall through the floor), and a breeding/hatching building. All enclosed with behemouth gates. Yes we have tree platforms, but we mainly use them for wyvern parking. We protect the beaver spawns, provide public beaver traps, theres plenty of wood and enough metal around for us. Anyway we like it.

Archived