What is the point of official PVP

Gurtnevun

As i am fairly new to Ark, just started this year, I found home on a low pop SE official pvp server. After an early base wipe I quickly found that being under the radar is a must. So after an extensive research i built in what i believed to be the least desirable part of the map. We set up base in a small hidden place with a real life friend of mine. We had 50+ tames with decent levels and of course turret and other means of protection, base was beginning to feel pretty safe. Yesterday night we had a visit by two gentlemen going by the names of Death and Seth. They pretty much destroyed everything and killed most of our tames with their Wyverns. They are of course not from this server and there is no way for us to track them down, which bothers me a lot. This undermines the principle of pvp where one has to face consequences for their actions. Having a bunch of kids with wyverns dominate the entire official pvp server network is resulting in very canerous patterns i have noticed in the these past few months. People just leave. They come and go on weekly basis and in large numbers too.  

I like the idea of cross ark travel, but it should have some limits in order to address this issue. Also building sturdy is nearly impossible on scorched earth as insulated metal is buggy and air conditioners don't have enough impact. I'd love to play but it seems pretty pointless as it is at the moment. Having to put more than 500 hours in the game only to realize this,  hurts even more. Hlep plx. :)

6 hours ago, Gurtnevun said:

I found home on a low pop SE official pvp server

oh boi, so many things wrong with that sentence alone. i'd suggest you start making acquaintances and roll with them once the new servers drop. hope that WC somehow finds a way to protect the little man. handful of 100+ member alliances owning half the servers is just ridiculous and the tools you are given will never be enough to protect yourself from them. pretty sure a decent bronto will soak up all your months worth of grinding. also, hiding doesn't work. on the contrary, locals may get the wrong idea. as someone who's been solo i'd highly recommend you use the global chat to find out what the alpha situation is. took me awhile to find a server where they allowed me to grow. we were all bound by their rules but those were tolerable considering they protected the server from raiders. i guess in their eyes a newby is also a potential server guardian once he grows up. but yeah, i still gave up. trust issues and constant fear means that friendships are fragile.

there are hundreds of suggestions on how to make scorched better, defenses greater and penalize cross-travel. i'm waiting for 8.08 to see which road the game takes and then will decide if i jump back in. you too should think about the future. official pvp is really taxing on a small tribe.

8 hours ago, Gurtnevun said:

...I found home on a low pop SE official pvp server.

And that was your first and worst mistake. Not your fault how could you have known. When a server is low pop it can mean many things. Most commonly is a oppressive alpha that wont allow others to play. Other times it means a battle ground for warring tribes on other servers. In either case don't build there. 

What you want to look for are the medium pop servers. These are ones that most of the time allow new players on to play and have an established alpha that can protect the server from outside invasion. 

You can keep an eye on the patch notes that come with every update, but I personally think the devs aren't going to change anything to the fact that you can change servers. And as long as you can change servers, any big alpha tribe can come and wipe you out. 

You can try to find a scorched earth pvp server with a good alpha. That can protect you slightly from griefers (such as the persons who raided you), but it will not protect you from the 100+ people tribes

The point of PvP is to **** each other up. Winning the Ark by overcoming your enemies. Find some dire wolf pups and raise them to be your pets. Make allies then backstab them. Cage your prisoners and make them watch their daughter die in front of them and force them to eat and drink so they can think about their choices about plotting you. Having relations with your sibling. Sitting on your throne petting your wyverns while overlooking your rightfully owned kingdom!

Oh wait... That's Game of Thrones.... Its about **** each other up.

Archived