Most important dinos and Farming

Orion123

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/1/2017 at 5:09 AM, gunlover10 said:

Great list, only thing I feel its missing is a Doedicurus for farming stone like mad. Especially helpful if you're on pve and you can build massive bases out of nothing but stone with no fear of being raided.

Don't forget that the doed collects absurd amounts of obsidian, which is useful for making polymer.

• 8 months later...

1. Therizino- a offensive+defense Dino. Lvl up stamina and melee and you can literally take down a Rex

2. Snail- yes ya heard me right, THE GODDAM SNAIL. Who bother go farm giant beaver dam to get r a p e  by fatasses when you can tame 10 of these little poop and get ass load of cementing paste and polymer. The Downsidenis the taming food but idgaf

3. Giga-prefer this over a Rex. Ultimate butchered. Came back with 459 prime meat in one go

4. Beaver-more stamina and faster than mammoth, lvl melee and weight and you will never run out of wood

5. Ankylo- only dumbass wouldn’t tame one

6. Basilo-perfect for underwater cave.

7. Quetz- mobile flying base can get you anywhere safely 

8. Dodo- surround a guy with bitches and you get a lifetime supplies of dodo egg for kibble and other poop 

9- rock drake+Wyvern- abberation the rock drake is the most mobile. Wyvern is extremely fast and powerful as hell.

10. Yuty- the best Dino for boss slaying because of the roar

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Carnos are outclassed by virtually everything though, which makes their utility extremely limited. The only time I ever tamed one with the intention of using it as an actual mount was on my very first server way back in 2016 when Ark had just released in early access and the level cap was 30. Back then taming calculators and most creatures didn't exist yet, no one knew what they were doing, and taming a rex was an actual achievement. I tamed a "high level" carno and used it for weeks until I was able to tame my first spino. Haven't tamed a single carno for anything but eggs and since the kibble rework, none at all. There is nothing they can do that another animal can't do better, faster and more efficiently, that's why it's not a contender on any list of strong/utility dinos. I'll never forget Scala but carnos had only a very brief niche in the beginning like that and now there simply isn't a reason to tame them.

Also this thread is from 2017, there's been so many changes since then...

This question pops up a lot so I thought I would write up a quick little overview and maybe dispel a few myths about creatures on Ark.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. There is no single best creature to tame. Nothing is going to excel at absolutely everything. If you're looking for the bare minimum of what you need to tame to accomplish various things in the game, then you will probably benefit the most from this little summary.

2. The corollary to that is there is no creatures you should avoid taming. This is a sandbox game, it is whatever you make of it. Not all animals have to have a use and there are often multiple animals to fill a single role. Don't be afraid to tame a "lesser" option because you like it.

3. Some animals may be included or excluded from the list on the basis of their use in the current game environment. For example, the angler is great at collecting pearls, but tek dinos drop electronics when killed and harvested, so their role as a utility animal has been outclassed by a newer game mechanic.

4. No list is going to be completely objective, or completely complete. This list is from the perspective of a very experienced player. To be completely honest, I have no idea what tames are good for new players because I haven't been one since the level cap was 30. If someone wants to do a separate guide for progressing through the tiers, by all means go ahead! I would actually be interested since my playstyle is so drastically different from a newbie.

Anyway, to the guide:

What should I tame for...

Resources:

Thatch - male megaloceros (elk/deer) - females don't have horns and can't attack, so can't harvest anything

Wood - castorides (beaver), thorny dragon

Stone - doedicurus

Metal - ankylosaurus

Fiber - therizinosaurus

Obsidian - doedicurus

Fertilizer - dung beetle

Black pearls - gacha

Element dust - gacha

Oil - ankylosaurus

Organic polymer - gacha

Rare flowers - therizonosaurus

Rare mushrooms - therizinosaurus

Note that this list is not comprehensive because imo you don't actually need to tame every resource providing animal in the game. No need for frogs or snails when you can raid beaver dams for hundreds of paste in minutes, and as I mentioned before since tek dinos drop electronics, there's almost no need to tame an angler. I know opinions are going to vary a lot here. In some categories I don't list every animal that can harvest a given material; this is on purpose. Any animal with a multipurpose role is prioritized over single purpose niche animals for efficiency. For example yes a direbear or an ape can also collect fiber, but you can use a theri for multiple other resources as well, hence why I would list it and not the other two.

Transportation

Argent

Wyvern

Rock drake (2 seater saddle)

Managarmr

Why no quetz? Simple, the argent TLC, wyverns and cryopods have made the quetz completely obsolete.

Caves

Baryonyx

Velonosaur

Basilosaurus

Many animals do not fit in The Island caves without cryopods. The bary does fit in all of them, making it a superior choice to the thyla and its ability to self heal with fish meat makes it a better option than almost anything else. Velos are great for any cave that has arthroplera as you can kill them in turret mode before they have a chance to break your armor--very important in the swamp cave in particular. Basilos are for the underwater caves of course, being immune to jellyfish makes them the top tier choice.

Bosses

Rex, tek rex

Yutyrannus

Daeodon (pig)

Therizinosaurus can also be substituted for rexes, rexes are just easier to find/breed and don't require the mass production of sweet vegetable cakes.

OSDs (orbital space drops) / Element Nodes

Giganotosaurus

Lower levels can be done with rexes and such of course.

Kibble

Rex

Yutyrannus

You don't need kibble producing animals for each tier, as better kibble can be used to tame or imprint on animals that prefer lower tier kibble. I prefer to keep yuty kibble for animals that will only tame on it and use rex kibble for anything else--it's a little cheaper, and you'll end up with a billion rex eggs from breeding for bosses anyway.

Taming

Wyvern - with wild animal pickup enabled, wild animal transport to taming pens

Snow Owl - trapping, healing, stealing wyvern eggs

Rock drake - tranqing

Griffin - tranqing, stealing wyvern eggs

I will likely be updating this list a few times as I'm sure I've forgotten something somewhere so feel free to comment and offer opinions. Please keep in mind this is not meant to be a comprehensive list of every animal in the game, just the quick n dirty list of optimal tames. When I have a bit more time I will adjust the formatting and add links to some of the other guides such as those for bosses for those looking to go a little deeper into the subject.

Hello,

Reading all excellent advice. I could not see the resource hide.

So for hide I use the Therizinosaurus with all xp-levels into melee and imprinted. All xp-levels into Delicate Harvesting. Once all that is done kill everything the same way as you harvested berries. You find a great pleasure putting 4000 hide into storage each run.

Good luck getting more hide.

Regards,

Ariana 

8 hours ago, Cymas said:

This question pops up a lot so I thought I would write up a quick little overview and maybe dispel a few myths about creatures on Ark.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. There is no single best creature to tame. Nothing is going to excel at absolutely everything. If you're looking for the bare minimum of what you need to tame to accomplish various things in the game, then you will probably benefit the most from this little summary.

2. The corollary to that is there is no creatures you should avoid taming. This is a sandbox game, it is whatever you make of it. Not all animals have to have a use and there are often multiple animals to fill a single role. Don't be afraid to tame a "lesser" option because you like it.

3. Some animals may be included or excluded from the list on the basis of their use in the current game environment. For example, the angler is great at collecting pearls, but tek dinos drop electronics when killed and harvested, so their role as a utility animal has been outclassed by a newer game mechanic.

4. No list is going to be completely objective, or completely complete. This list is from the perspective of a very experienced player. To be completely honest, I have no idea what tames are good for new players because I haven't been one since the level cap was 30. If someone wants to do a separate guide for progressing through the tiers, by all means go ahead! I would actually be interested since my playstyle is so drastically different from a newbie.

Anyway, to the guide:

What should I tame for...

Resources:

Thatch - male megaloceros (elk/deer) - females don't have horns and can't attack, so can't harvest anything

Wood - castorides (beaver), thorny dragon

Stone - doedicurus

Metal - ankylosaurus

Fiber - therizinosaurus

Obsidian - doedicurus

Fertilizer - dung beetle

Black pearls - gacha

Element dust - gacha

Oil - ankylosaurus

Organic polymer - gacha

Rare flowers - therizonosaurus

Rare mushrooms - therizinosaurus

Note that this list is not comprehensive because imo you don't actually need to tame every resource providing animal in the game. No need for frogs or snails when you can raid beaver dams for hundreds of paste in minutes, and as I mentioned before since tek dinos drop electronics, there's almost no need to tame an angler. I know opinions are going to vary a lot here. In some categories I don't list every animal that can harvest a given material; this is on purpose. Any animal with a multipurpose role is prioritized over single purpose niche animals for efficiency. For example yes a direbear or an ape can also collect fiber, but you can use a theri for multiple other resources as well, hence why I would list it and not the other two.

Transportation

Argent

Wyvern

Rock drake (2 seater saddle)

Managarmr

Why no quetz? Simple, the argent TLC, wyverns and cryopods have made the quetz completely obsolete.

Caves

Baryonyx

Velonosaur

Basilosaurus

Many animals do not fit in The Island caves without cryopods. The bary does fit in all of them, making it a superior choice to the thyla and its ability to self heal with fish meat makes it a better option than almost anything else. Velos are great for any cave that has arthroplera as you can kill them in turret mode before they have a chance to break your armor--very important in the swamp cave in particular. Basilos are for the underwater caves of course, being immune to jellyfish makes them the top tier choice.

Bosses

Rex, tek rex

Yutyrannus

Daeodon (pig)

Therizinosaurus can also be substituted for rexes, rexes are just easier to find/breed and don't require the mass production of sweet vegetable cakes.

OSDs (orbital space drops) / Element Nodes

Giganotosaurus

Lower levels can be done with rexes and such of course.

Kibble

Rex

Yutyrannus

You don't need kibble producing animals for each tier, as better kibble can be used to tame or imprint on animals that prefer lower tier kibble. I prefer to keep yuty kibble for animals that will only tame on it and use rex kibble for anything else--it's a little cheaper, and you'll end up with a billion rex eggs from breeding for bosses anyway.

Taming

Wyvern - with wild animal pickup enabled, wild animal transport to taming pens

Snow Owl - trapping, healing, stealing wyvern eggs

Rock drake - tranqing

Griffin - tranqing, stealing wyvern eggs

I will likely be updating this list a few times as I'm sure I've forgotten something somewhere so feel free to comment and offer opinions. Please keep in mind this is not meant to be a comprehensive list of every animal in the game, just the quick n dirty list of optimal tames. When I have a bit more time I will adjust the formatting and add links to some of the other guides such as those for bosses for those looking to go a little deeper into the subject.

This is a great summary. The only thing I question about it is: Doed. 

Do they actually still collect obsidian or was that just a bug with the specific volcano obsidian nodes? I believe I tested it a few weeks ago, great for stone but doesnt collect Obsidian? I could very well be wrong, though.

9 hours ago, Techsupport said:

kid numbers. i have one that deals 2000+ actual damage (don't remember percentage)

9 hours ago, d1nk said:

Well it IS almost 2 years old... but iirc 2000 would be roughly 700 melee imprinted

Tracing back the comments, you both are talking about the Moschops.  As I have typed this out, I have re-read it again to make sure because I can't believe anyone would actually believe this...  

Moschops at 100% deals 32 damage.  A 1000% melee damage imprinted Moschops would deal ~384 damage.  So for your Moschops to hit for 2000 damage, it would (with a full imprint) need to have ~4810 (forty-eight hundred ten) percent melee damage.

I believe the max allowable stat for servers is 255 points, which would be 1375 melee at birth.  Anything above 255 gets clamped down to 255 after a restart.  With the additional 14%, 1389 melee.  With the multiplier of +17.6% from imprinting and birth, it becomes 1633.5 (+/- .1) melee.  With a full imprint (an additional +20%), it becomes 1960.2 (+/- .1) melee.  With all 73 levels into melee damage, and 1.7% of base for domesticated levels adding 33.3 (+/- .1) melee, with all domesticated levels invested in melee you gain 2432.5 (+/- .1) melee.  Adding that back to the + tame bonus and + imprint bonus level, we get 4392.7 melee damage.  The Moschops would hit for 1405.66 damage, and if ridden by an imprinted rider, it would hit for 1827.4 (+/- .3) melee damage.

If stats are indeed maxed at 255 per individual stat, an imprinted Moschops hitting for over 2000 damage (not melee % but actual damage, your words) is impossible.  But if you have a Moschops with 255 points into melee damage, grats.  If not, something is very, very, very, very, very, VERY off with whatever math you did to get to 2000+ actual damage (again, your words).

EDIT:  Or, hopefully there is confusion in the responses and you are both talking about a different dino.

@Cymas Silica pearls aren’t a single use resource. While they are predominantly used to craft electronics, let’s no forget they are also used to craft a selection of saddles and SCUBA gear. An Angler doesn’t need a saddle either so can be tamed as soon as you are able to make lazarus chowder for deep sea diving.

The only reasonable alternative to the Angler is the Gacha however it’s only available on 1 paid map, where as the Angler is available on 3 free maps.

9 hours ago, TheDonn said:

Tracing back the comments, you both are talking about the Moschops.  As I have typed this out, I have re-read it again to make sure because I can't believe anyone would actually believe this...  

Moschops at 100% deals 32 damage.  A 1000% melee damage imprinted Moschops would deal ~384 damage.  So for your Moschops to hit for 2000 damage, it would (with a full imprint) need to have ~4810 (forty-eight hundred ten) percent melee damage.

I believe the max allowable stat for servers is 255 points, which would be 1375 melee at birth.  Anything above 255 gets clamped down to 255 after a restart.  With the additional 14%, 1389 melee.  With the multiplier of +17.6% from imprinting and birth, it becomes 1633.5 (+/- .1) melee.  With a full imprint (an additional +20%), it becomes 1960.2 (+/- .1) melee.  With all 73 levels into melee damage, and 1.7% of base for domesticated levels adding 33.3 (+/- .1) melee, with all domesticated levels invested in melee you gain 2432.5 (+/- .1) melee.  Adding that back to the + tame bonus and + imprint bonus level, we get 4392.7 melee damage.  The Moschops would hit for 1405.66 damage, and if ridden by an imprinted rider, it would hit for 1827.4 (+/- .3) melee damage.

If stats are indeed maxed at 255 per individual stat, an imprinted Moschops hitting for over 2000 damage (not melee % but actual damage, your words) is impossible.  But if you have a Moschops with 255 points into melee damage, grats.  If not, something is very, very, very, very, very, VERY off with whatever math you did to get to 2000+ actual damage (again, your words).

EDIT:  Or, hopefully there is confusion in the responses and you are both talking about a different dino.

huh that's weird i don't remember turning up my damage stats except once, but i changed them back, ill have to check that

10 hours ago, TheDonn said:

I thought it was a Giga, my bad lol.

I've done a lot of gathering with various dinos, and although there are definitely some specific dinos that should be used for certain resources if you want max efficiency, there's one creature that falls more into the 'jack of all trades', and does it well... that's the wyvern. I think its the best all around creature for the fact that it does so many things. Beyond being able to carry other gathers around easily, it's a great fast collector of meat & hide. It can easily fill fridges with organic polymer from mantis', and bring in tons of other creature sources materials like chitin. Using the wing flap ('C') in the redwoods forest, they gather a lot of wood & thatch easily. On servers configured for it they can carry wild dinos to taming pens. They are also formidable foes in a fight, and can be used to routinely slay Gigas and Death Worms. 

1. Argentavis - Swiss Army Knife - does everything and hauls #2 and #3 around

2. Anky - Metal/Obsidian/Crystal ++

3. Doed - Needed to build and feed Gachas !

4. Megatherium - Huge fan for caves/fiber/berries/chitin

5. Mammoth - I named mine Morning Wood, it rocks worlds (mostly mine but that's what counts)

6. Giga - cause it is a meat truck (Spino or Rex work as well)

On 11/10/2018 at 9:47 AM, RandomMac said:

2. Snail- yes ya heard me right, THE GODDAM SNAIL. Who bother go farm giant beaver dam to get r a p e  by fatasses when you can tame 10 of these little poop and get ass load of cementing paste and polymer. The Downsidenis the taming food but idgaf

Why bother making cakes, then taming snails and then making cakes again to feed them, when you have dams right next to your base?

I mean, even if the dams were far away, I wouldn't tame snails, because I hate making cakes, even for just 1 snail. For 10 snails? Shoot me.

I assume by "fatasses" you mean the beavers? They are no issue. I park some mount next to the dam and before the beaver hits me I'm mounted again.

2 hours ago, AdligerAdler said:

Why bother making cakes, then taming snails and then making cakes again to feed them, when you have dams right next to your base?

I mean, even if the dams were far away, I wouldn't tame snails, because I hate making cakes, even for just 1 snail. For 10 snails? Shoot me.

I assume by "fatasses" you mean the beavers? They are no issue. I park some mount next to the dam and before the beaver hits me I'm mounted again.

You only need to feed snails approximately 1-2 times a month (officials). 10-20 cakes a month is hardly a chore and the convenience far outweighs the grind when you’re collecting 1000 paste effectively every 90 mins of game time from the comfort of your own base.

It’s even better when you don’t need paste because your cache soon grows. Even the little bit of organic polymer that each snail produces can help or even if it’s just a place to store it.

I don't need that much cement and very rarely polymer. I have several storage boxes full of cement and rarely need it. I don't want to sell it either. Also I don't play that much Ark anymore. It's annoying when I have to log into a game that I don't want to play right now because tames need food. That's why dams are better for me and I got rid of my 2 snails a long time ago, and why I'm in the process of getting cryo fridges and pods.

On 5/8/2019 at 2:03 PM, d1nk said:

This is a great summary. The only thing I question about it is: Doed. 

Do they actually still collect obsidian or was that just a bug with the specific volcano obsidian nodes? I believe I tested it a few weeks ago, great for stone but doesnt collect Obsidian? I could very well be wrong, though.

You are not wrong. The Doedicurus turns Obsidian nodes into Stone. Ankylosaurus is the dino of choice for Obsidian

Archived