Most important dinos and Farming

Orion123

So out of 100 dinos only about 10 are really the ones to have.

Here is my list and the reasons for each:

1. REx: REx is the boss killer and also for some tribes the meat gatherer. 

2. Anky: Well, it is obvious metal is one of the most important resources on ark. IS the coin to trade and the main thing to build the high end stuff. If you are in a tribe, have a Quetz that carrier a lot... around 3k is a good starting weight and have a friend carry you while you smash metal.

3. Theri: It gathers thatch, wood, and fiber...enough said. Some people use it for bosses...not recommended but it is a strong mount for its size!

4. Bronto: I always leave my bronto on a high density plant area...and just swipe the tail two or three times and is full of all berries. Plus, in the process you gather a good amount of thatch.

5. Dunkle: Perfect for mining oil..specialy if all the oil vains are taken on the surface. Not to mention it gathers stone too.

6. Raptor: I know what you are thinking...DILO... a raptor... if you think about it...it is a quick tame and it will help you at the begining of the ark experience to do the caves gathering artifacts and meat. I would call this the perfect intro level dino for carnivores. Lots of rewards with nearly no risk to tame.

7. Mammoth/Beaver: Either tame is perfect for wood. I like the beaver...since it doesnt take a lot of space..but we all know that we all build super bases so is all on personal preference. 

8. Angler: The angler fish is the best pearl gatherer and the only one ... GET IT!

9. Stego: This is the little brother of the bronto...so same resources just smaller with halve the effectiveness of gathering. 

10.Giga: The giga is not only the most offensive dino on the game but the best meat gatherer. IT is not necesary that is why is the last on the list. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmm.. I can't really agree with the list.

Sure, there are solid entries, but, a dino's utility worth depends greatly on the environment.
Anky's might be the best metal gatherer's in the game, but if the metal nodes are on the
other side of the island and you have no quetz to get the anky there, it's not going to be
very useful now will it?

Each dinosaur really gets sorted into their own little classes. Warriors, Utility, Travel.
Each class has their own set of good/bad dinos, but all of them can be good if
they are: 1. high level, and 2. In a prime environment. 

If I had to pick top 10, it'd be as follows (in no particular order):

1- Rex. Duh.
2- Basilo. Basically almost all your underwater needs done
3- Theri. Gathering supreme
4- Ankylo. Only metal harvester, and honestly it doesn't do half bad on Stone, so I wouldn't even bother with a Doedic
5- Quetz. Even though it's slower than the Argent, it does basically everything else better
6- Yut. Absolutely essential for boss fights anymore, and a very useful tame in its own right
7- Daeodon. See above
8- Dung Beetle. Overlooked, but the value of not needing to build a bunch of Compost Bins to mass generate Fertilizer can't be overstated here
9- Megatherium. Less so on the Island compared to The Center and Ragnarok, but it's a great caving mount. For the Island and Scorched Earth, replace it with a Sabertooth
10- Dodo. Yes, you read that right. Dodo Kibble is very cheap with ~5-6 Dodos squirting out eggs for you, which makes it very useful for feeding your Daeodon and for making sure your baby dinos have plenty of food. Combined with a good farm supplemented by your Dung Beetle, you're set.

But as @Extraterrestrial said, lots of dinos excel very well in their niches. Realistically, for example, I'd still get a Doedic because of its Stone harvesting; only under the condition that I can only pick ten tames would I not choose it over something else. 

20 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

If I had to pick top 10, it'd be as follows (in no particular order):

1- Rex. Duh.
2- Basilo. Basically almost all your underwater needs done

I prefer the Mosa now that eels got nerfed.
3- Theri. Gathering supreme
4- Ankylo. Only metal harvester, and honestly it doesn't do half bad on Stone, so I wouldn't even bother with a Doedic
5- Quetz. Even though it's slower than the Argent, it does basically everything else better
6- Yut. Absolutely essential for boss fights anymore, and a very useful tame in its own right
7- Daeodon. See above
8- Dung Beetle. Overlooked, but the value of not needing to build a bunch of Compost Bins to mass generate Fertilizer can't be overstated here
9- Megatherium. Less so on the Island compared to The Center and Ragnarok, but it's a great caving mount. For the Island and Scorched Earth, replace it with a Sabertooth

I would replace it for the Thylacoleo.
10- Dodo. Yes, you read that right. Dodo Kibble is very cheap with ~5-6 Dodos squirting out eggs for you, which makes it very useful for feeding your Daeodon and for making sure your baby dinos have plenty of food. Combined with a good farm supplemented by your Dung Beetle, you're set.

But as @Extraterrestrial said, lots of dinos excel very well in their niches. Realistically, for example, I'd still get a Doedic because of its Stone harvesting; only under the condition that I can only pick ten tames would I not choose it over something else. 

For me I value the wyvern over quetzal for cargo, we often use a wyvern with 2400 weight for our metal and stone runs, and just pick up the anky or doed with them, allows fast transportation and really solid material rate.

My main working dinos in no particularorder

Mantis for all around utility, espcially flint, thatch and sap

Ankylo for metal

Therizino for Berries, Fiber, Silk, Wood,  Cactus Sap, Ect

Giga for meat

Wyvern for general combat mount, cargo, and drop hunter,

Mammoth for wood cargo, often have them following my mantis or therizino.

Doed for stone cargo

Golem for stone and sand gathering

Moschops for polymer, mushrooms and sap.

Quetzal for large transportation of dinos.

Paracer for mobile base/meat cooker.

Megatherium for insane chitin gathering when we need it.

Rex/Yuty For Bosses

Daedon for utility heal for breeding and boss healer

hyaenodon for spoilage helper.

Horse for mobile mortar, really handy making preserving salts on the go.

Wolves/Sabers for cave runs.

I dont have a water base currently, mostly living on scorched earth so dont have anything on the list for them yet. I still use allot of other dinos but these are the primary ones.

1 hour ago, Deadman said:

I have to disagree on Theri, its a nice and strong creature but not for gathering. Its weight is terrible, a few swings and you're encumbered. Its a cool creature to have but not needed as other creatures can do better.

I would still rather tame one thezi rather then have to go find and tame multiple dinos just because they have gathering rates that are alittle better then a thezi. The thezi is thr swiss army knife of ark. 

• 6 months later...

Most important dinos?

1 Trex (duh my dudes)

2 GODDANGIT I forgot it's name but it's a bird it lands on water and you can kill penguins with it for polymer quick and easy

3 ankylo for metal and crystal but have fun getting him in a volcano.

4. Quetz Platform saddle. Flying base

5. Bronto Tribe hungry? Bronto is S U P R E M E berry gatherer

6. Raptors speed is key and they are deadly

7. Argentavis good flying mount

8. Pteradon it's not easy getting a argent or quetz so this will be good starter mount for flight

9. Megalodon not hard to tame just get SCUBA and go explore under da sea!!!!!!

10. Carno/Giga there both deadly bois

I've not tamed every single dino out there so my list is more of a "as of now".

Not in any level of importance:

1) Sabertooth - Great hide, keratin and chitin gatherer. Is pretty easy to tame early on too. Good movement speed and damage. I end up using them quite often even at the late game. 

2) Argentavis - Probably the best early-mid game flying mount for me. With decent carry weight and decent damage, they end up being a very good aerial combat mount for me. 

3) Dung Beetle - Purely for the fertiliser

4) Doedicurus - For stone (and sand gatherering)

5) Wyvern - Basically retired my Argent in most situations

6) Therizinosaurus - literal swiss army knife of Ark. They gather flowers and mushrooms by the bucketloads. I sometimes wish I had brought it over to SE with me from TI. But if I did have it, it would make things way too easy really. 

7) Anklyo - For the metal. They do a decent job at Berries as well. 

Archived