Enough is enough

b21drv

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Jognt said:

The argument of "You played it for 3000 hours, you got your moneys worth" is nonsense. My parents stayed together for well over 30 years, and a lot of that time was not pleasant for either of them.

Time invested does not equate time well/enjoyably spent.

Well a relationship between two individuals, and someone playing a game, are completely different. It's not like Ark was forcing anyone to play for 3000h, they just chose to. It's evidently fun enough to play for 3000h, unlike many games.

5 hours ago, WickedRecluse said:

I don't understand why people seem to think a games fidelity needs to last indefinitely. I mean, this is no World of Warcraft. You got 3,000 hours out of a game, you got your monies worth. You had your fun. It was clearly a great and amazing game for you. No need to say goodbye. Perhaps I'm just looking at this from a single players perspective, which is what they game should been, perhaps small scale co-op. This is a perfect single player game and I love it. However, I don't expect to play it for an eternity, I do expect to get another 1,000 or so hours out of it though. Waiting for official release, in hopes of a massive patch that gives more optimization and fixes most of the issues/bugs.

The fidelity doesn't have to last forever. But man this game is not yet officially released there are thousands of us who are burned by it. 

Heck, I started playing in 2015, almost rage quit on xMas because my PvP server base got destroyed. Luckly I found out about PvE servers. Played thru first 8 months of 2016 then got bored, luckly found a player that accepted to merge tribes and keep my dinos alive while I was away (became a real friend now). We both got burned out by January 2017, so much we just logged to feed reset timers and went playing Battlefield or other games. Did that for 3-4 months and just recently started playing back...moved bases and build a brand new one. And right now I feel again struck with boredom...log in feed, fly around the map to collect beaver dams and then back to my base to wonder what should I do that I may find fun. 

Wildcard studios was purchased by the Chinese company Snail Games so much of what is getting done now I'm sure is not their original idea. I forgive some of the games BS but they shouldn't throw their early player base under the bus either. Theres actually 2 Ark spinoff games coming out you may wanna check out.  PixARK and ARK GO. Its a shame when big corporations buy little studios and mess around with them.

1 hour ago, Shebeatsyoui said:

Wildcard studios was purchased by the Chinese company Snail Games so much of what is getting done now I'm sure is not their original idea. I forgive some of the games BS but they shouldn't throw their early player base under the bus either. Theres actually 2 Ark spinoff games coming out you may wanna check out.  PixARK and ARK GO. Its a shame when big corporations buy little studios and mess around with them.

Snail Games has owned Wildcard Studios since Ark first went into Early Access...this is not a new development. Ark is technically using a lot of snail Games assets. Look at snails newest EA game Dark and Light. Near spitting image of game UI and mechanics. Base building, taming, pvping...it's pretty much a crappier Ark since at least Ark's dino's are extremely unique per dino and by this point is waaaaaaay less grindy than Dark and Light. But the similarities are there, and that's because it's basically always been Snails assets from the start on both games.

Snail games does NOT develop Ark though. that's Wildcard's job. So anything done with Ark is Wc's doing. Snails develops Dark and Light though, without WC's help, and we can see how pretty crap D&L is right now. Sometimes I wonder if WC is getting held back because they were handed a fundamentally broken foundation for ARK and are trying their best to salvage what they can out of it. I mean really take the PVP out of ARK and give us some sort of really engaging endgame content that's fun, and Ark just might be something way more awesome than what it already is for the long run. PVP official should NOT be what they focus on first and foremost...pvp needs to be fair and Ark doesn't have that outside of SOTF. So until they do something to make PVPing fair in Ark, I will never play it, and eventually until they give us some sort of really good endgame content to keep me engaged at endgame for PVE, then even I will eventually stop playing like any other game. I will surely have enjoyed my ride and this game will always hold a special place in my heart and mind, but all good things will come to an end, and I can at least walk away from this game when I'm done with it, give it a nod and a smile, and recommend friends who don't have it to get it. There will be no point to making a 'goodbye' topic in the forums...that's just silly.

4 hours ago, Shrekasaurus said:

Well a relationship between two individuals, and someone playing a game, are completely different. It's not like Ark was forcing anyone to play for 3000h, they just chose to. It's evidently fun enough to play for 3000h, unlike many games.

Nobody forces people to stay together, they choose to. Probably with the hopes that it'll get better in the future. I actually see a very strong resemblance.
But hey, if you thoroughly enjoy every second of every game you've ever played, good on you.

48 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Nobody forces people to stay together, they choose to. Probably with the hopes that it'll get better in the future. I actually see a very strong resemblance.
But hey, if you thoroughly enjoy every second of every game you've ever played, good on you.

I'm not saying Ark is flawless, I'm with you that it needs improvement, I just think players that have 3000h play time is a  bit of a testament to Ark's enjoyability. I mean, if people really dislike the grind that much, I don't think they'd have 3000h in game.  

I just think players that have 3000h play time is a  bit of a testament to Ark's enjoyability. I mean, if people really dislike the grind that much, I don't think they'd have 3000h in game.  

See, that's just it...  Grinding has never been an issue, to an extent, with me.  I find it therapeutic to grind after a day at the office.  It helps to unwind by doing mindless "grinding".  The problem lies when that grinding has become all the game is.  I no long grind to relax and then do some fun game stuff.  Most of my time now is spent on required grinding in order to keep things going.  I have downsized dino count, stockpiled most resources, and outsourced (buy) materials even.  Still to much to grind and not enough "play" time.  Further, with broken game mechanics (Boss fights), there actually is not much point in even doing any grinding.  You cannot realistically progress.  For full disclosure, I do play mostly solo on an official PVE.  I do have some help along the way with in game friends and alliances, but I prefer doing things on my schedule and tactic.  Simply, this is not the same game it was a year ago, well, other than still being broken.

Meh, end-game for ark has always been "grinding to keep things going". In fact, that's why I quit playing Official PvP a year back: I noticed that all I did all day was work just so that everything kept going. Most of it was actually collecting poop for fertilizer for my 30-40 plantx defense, so you can probably imagine how "enjoyable" all those hours were.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:38 PM, Arkasaurio said:

Actually, turret tracking in PvP for at least flight and movement speed. And if you're PvE, they've shown they have a fairly difficult time with different rules/settings in different game modes.

The devs could have turned the max turn rate of turrets up if this was a problem.   Being able to out run the turrets turn speed is an intended tactic.

The garbage complicated non-nerf they did to fliers took at least 10000x longer to come up with then entering the editor and changing one value.

The game - despite the constant nerfs and performance-killing "upgrades" - has been seen fleeting enjoyment from me and those that I know as well. What little I even try to do is rewarded with little to nothing, and then disappointment. Just earlier I'd spent a couple of hours gathering supplies to keep my generators running longer over the weekend so I can actually have defenses up when I'm not babysitting the game over said weekend, only to realize that every single bit of effort was rewarded with a rollback while I was gone - or at least I can assume that it was yet another rollback, considering everything that I'd gathered had disappeared, along with all of the equipment on my character who had died in the base for no discernible reason at all. I know that happens sometimes, but everything else..? It isn't the first time that hours of effort was eaten by the game, causing you to wonder why you even bother in the first place?   I'd gone from being unable to even step out my front door without being destroyed by lag and rollbacks that kill in upwards of 2+ hours of progress, along with tames, being slowly strangled out of survival due to the fact that I can't even get basic essentials to run a base.

I'm with OP: It's gotten a bit corny and boring at this point. At least earlier with all of the negative issues of the status of the characters and dinos within the game, we were able to play. Now..? It is officially unplayable unless there is basically no one on while you are on. Even then, it still happens.

I have no idea what they're going to do to pull this out if they're still trying to launch this game in august. I'm just going to sit and watch.

One of my biggest beefs with the direction they're taking.. is that they're shoving people into the water, yet the water is not refined. It's ugly to look at, it's unrealistic, you can't see a damn thing. The scuba is garbage. Tames are difficult to get because there's hardly any weapons you can use and the harpoon gun isn't at all as expected. The damage is so underwhelming and the hitmarkers are difficult to get unless it's point blank, even if you see the spear sticking out of it.  They've broken bags so that if you die, you're not getting your stuff back unless it was shallow. Everything immediately sinks to the bottom, and if you're far enough out, it just disappears. I'm tired of alpha tribes hiding under the map and staying big because they're doing that + duping on top of it. This game will not be ready for another year or more, if it ever is. They don't listen to the community anymore and they don't fix their mistakes.

As much as I love it, and I'll keep playing because I have nothing better to do.. New players will *hate* this game.

On 7/28/2017 at 10:54 AM, Jognt said:

The argument of "You played it for 3000 hours, you got your moneys worth" is nonsense. My parents stayed together for well over 30 years, and a lot of that time was not pleasant for either of them.

Time invested does not equate time well/enjoyably spent.

Yep... a video game and marriage are EXACTLY the same.

It is totally correct and apt to compare them, as they are apples to apples... with all the moment to moment experiences and expectations for a long and fruitful life. And when the video game doesn't work out, and you walk away, bitter with all the investment to what should have been... well, it leaves you empty and full of spite. I mean, at its essential being... a video game is about playing only ONE game, playing it for the rest of your life... and building a new family(er...community)! That's the most significant thing you can do with your life! And it is a human tragedy to see it fall apart for the OP.

And who suffers the most?

The Dinos. They will be left in self doubt as their inner struggle ever posits the question "Did they leave because I wasn't good enough to love? "

My god... think about the Dinos!

22 hours ago, Shrekasaurus said:

I'm not saying Ark is flawless, I'm with you that it needs improvement, I just think players that have 3000h play time is a  bit of a testament to Ark's enjoyability. I mean, if people really dislike the grind that much, I don't think they'd have 3000h in game.  

Have to agree with this man. This is something you've done, OP, playing every day for a very long time. I know what 3k hours in a game is. If you think about anything else you've done for enjoyment for that long that list would probably be very short if existed at all.. I know mine would be. Stay for another 3k bud 

3 hours ago, Ganelon said:

Yep... a video game and marriage are EXACTLY the same.

It is totally correct and apt to compare them, as they are apples to apples... with all the moment to moment experiences and expectations for a long and fruitful life. And when the video game doesn't work out, and you walk away, bitter with all the investment to what should have been... well, it leaves you empty and full of spite. I mean, at its essential being... a video game is about playing only ONE game, playing it for the rest of your life... and building a new family(er...community)! That's the most significant thing you can do with your life! And it is a human tragedy to see it fall apart for the OP.

And who suffers the most?

The Dinos. They will be left in self doubt as their inner struggle ever posits the question "Did they leave because I wasn't good enough to love? "

My god... think about the Dinos!

So dino child support and weekend visits? 

23 hours ago, b21drv said:

I just think players that have 3000h play time is a  bit of a testament to Ark's enjoyability. I mean, if people really dislike the grind that much, I don't think they'd have 3000h in game.  

See, that's just it...  Grinding has never been an issue, to an extent, with me.  I find it therapeutic to grind after a day at the office.  It helps to unwind by doing mindless "grinding".  The problem lies when that grinding has become all the game is.  I no long grind to relax and then do some fun game stuff.  Most of my time now is spent on required grinding in order to keep things going.  I have downsized dino count, stockpiled most resources, and outsourced (buy) materials even.  Still to much to grind and not enough "play" time.  Further, with broken game mechanics (Boss fights), there actually is not much point in even doing any grinding.  You cannot realistically progress.  For full disclosure, I do play mostly solo on an official PVE.  I do have some help along the way with in game friends and alliances, but I prefer doing things on my schedule and tactic.  Simply, this is not the same game it was a year ago, well, other than still being broken.

Thing is, when the game first went into EA it wasn't a grind fest. It was rather enjoyable and you were able to accomplish tasks in a reasonable time. 

Then in the last 6 to 9 months they did many nerfs, including flyer speed but also the way many dinos works. Some were positive changes, some were definitely not. They slowly increased max player level to 110 (or 105) and then a mere 1-2 months after doing that, they brough it back to 100 capped and introduced ascension. 

On 7/29/2017 at 0:07 AM, tidalblade said:

The devs could have turned the max turn rate of turrets up if this was a problem.   Being able to out run the turrets turn speed is an intended tactic.

The garbage complicated non-nerf they did to fliers took at least 10000x longer to come up with then entering the editor and changing one value.

Source? Not as though I'm providing one, but what I've read is that "it's a technical issue," and I'd love to be corrected if that's not actually the case. Maybe they can literally increase turret track speed but that causes other problems with the game?

Regardless, if that's an intended mechanic, its a bad one. Attackers already have enough advantages (particularly against offline players, Pvbase) that they don't also need to be able to out maneuver turrets.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:18 AM, Arkasaurio said:

Source? Not as though I'm providing one, but what I've read is that "it's a technical issue," and I'd love to be corrected if that's not actually the case. Maybe they can literally increase turret track speed but that causes other problems with the game?

Regardless, if that's an intended mechanic, its a bad one. Attackers already have enough advantages (particularly against offline players, Pvbase) that they don't also need to be able to out maneuver turrets.

no.

Untitled.png

The technical issue is that they had to open the editor, open the blueprint, and drag, or type a new value into the box.

On 7/30/2017 at 1:18 AM, Arkasaurio said:

Outmaneuvering turrets, so to speak, has never been an issue with track speed.

Let's take one of the most well known examples. Pre-nerf 23512351235% Movespeed Dinos

Most people complain, and believe, that Pteras, with adequate movespeed, could move faster then Turrets could track. That isn't correct. Now, to elaborate, I'll specify on two aspects of this:

Lag:
The reason Flyers could "Appear" to fly faster then a turret could/can track, is because of Lag. The Laggier a server is, the worse Turret performance is, in general. If a Server gets to a specific point of "Lag", turrets cease to function all together. Therefore, on servers with Active PvP, or Official Servers, Pteras could very easily make it look like they were moving "Too fast" to be tracked, when in reality, the server was simply lagging too much to actually implement the turret functions.

Wyvern/Ptera/Roo/Galli Bombs:

The concept behind these beauties is simple. If something moves fast enough, it will get to the wall before it dies. Turrets don't fire like lasers, they shoot one bullet, have a delay, and then shoot another. Most of the time these concepts simply reach the wall before they die. They are still being tracked, and shot, by the turrets. Enough turrets will kill them before they get into range. In theory. Putting together enough turrets though, might be impossible. 

What I think is lacking in Ark is a game mode that forces every player joining the server into 1 of 3 tribes.

From here there can be objectives like capture all the artifacts [one of each type only] and take them back to your team colour obelisk to win or First tribe to ascend ect...after which the server is then reset to keep it fresh.)

Consider this version of Ark like a really long played version of SOTF - Except the gather and taming rates are not pumped up stupidly high.

Hard Cap Tribe numbers online at any one time to 1/3 of the total number of players allowed on the server so no zerg tactics.

PvP would actually be fair for all 3 tribes as each tribe would have it's own "No lifers, different time zone players, casual players."

PvP battles actually would be fun! Battles would be something like:-  40 vs 40 vs 40 players on larger servers.

I played PvP and while fun it kinda got tedious fast, as very few people actually did PvP it was all offline raiding or try and inside people and then just create the laggiest most dc'ing base you possibly could on xbox anyway.

Then moved to Prim+ PvP and things just got worse with having 500+ plant x all waving about everywhere and when some poor soul flew within range they all lit up and dc'ed anyone and everyone in a large area around the base.

But what really gets me about official servers is the lag, if it were less laggy I would enjoy it more, moved to dedicated to play and lag is very low freedom to create and play how i want to, BUT ALAS THEY BROKE THEM 5 WEEKS AGO AND FIX IS STILL 2 WEEKS AWAY.

I feel by the time this game is released and the needed release patches are done it will get swamped by the bigger titles coming out in the latter part of the year.

9 hours ago, tidalblade said:

no.

Untitled.png

The technical issue is that they had to open the editor, open the blueprint, and drag, or type a new value into the box.

Thanks, follow up question is does increasing that value hurt performance meaningfully? Faster tracking in that case means the calculations have to go faster, which means taking computational resources from other places, right? I have no idea if that's enough to meaningfully impact anything else, but it seems to me that it could at least.

9 hours ago, iAmE said:

Outmaneuvering turrets, so to speak, has never been an issue with track speed.

Let's take one of the most well known examples. Pre-nerf 23512351235% Movespeed Dinos

Most people complain, and believe, that Pteras, with adequate movespeed, could move faster then Turrets could track. That isn't correct. Now, to elaborate, I'll specify on two aspects of this:

Lag:
The reason Flyers could "Appear" to fly faster then a turret could/can track, is because of Lag. The Laggier a server is, the worse Turret performance is, in general. If a Server gets to a specific point of "Lag", turrets cease to function all together. Therefore, on servers with Active PvP, or Official Servers, Pteras could very easily make it look like they were moving "Too fast" to be tracked, when in reality, the server was simply lagging too much to actually implement the turret functions.

Wyvern/Ptera/Roo/Galli Bombs:

The concept behind these beauties is simple. If something moves fast enough, it will get to the wall before it dies. Turrets don't fire like lasers, they shoot one bullet, have a delay, and then shoot another. Most of the time these concepts simply reach the wall before they die. They are still being tracked, and shot, by the turrets. Enough turrets will kill them before they get into range. In theory. Putting together enough turrets though, might be impossible. 

On the lag piece, as lag increases does turret performance decline equally across the board? Do my hypothetical turtle and ptera take the same number of bullets per second, only difference being that my ptera makes it to the wall faster? Or, does turret performance decline first/more quickly when the server lags for hitting faster animals? Basically does lag (before we get to the point turrets totally stop working) impact turret performance against every speed of animal equally? I don't think that's the case (because it doesn't make much sense in my mind) but I admittedly don't have a mountain of experience in large raids.

I'm not sure I follow the lasers bit, how that really makes a difference from bullets. I get that its mostly about HP being higher than total turret DPS for the amount of time required under fire, so all you have to do is be able to take all of the bullets it takes to get to the wall and if you're to the wall very quickly there's not much time to take bullets.

If lag impacts ability for turrets to hit faster targets it's still a "performance issue" in my mind. Do you think the game will ever be totally free of lag, in all/most situations, particularly if players feel they have an advantage for doing anything the can to generate lag? That would be awesome, but I personally don't see it happening.

Archived