Enough is enough

b21drv

So after playing this wonderful concept game, On Xbox Official PVE, I have finally come to the point that this game is just not fun anymore.  I really enjoyed the time I could spend being creative building structures and grinding for resources I needed to complete my projects.  Dino taming was enjoyable, although irksome at times in the start, exploring, figuring out caves and getting needed items in the game to progress, and lately, breeding have all been fun.

As we have gotten closer and closer to official release, I have seen that the vision that the developers have is greatly different than what I liked originally.  I know you cannot possibly cater to every like and style and expect no acknowledgement of my preferences.  Too bad.  I have really had fun putting in over 3000 hours into this adventure.  I will linger on for a few more weeks to release, but I expect I will wander off to another game soon.

I have canceled my order for the Collector's edition.  Why have the spendy trinkets when I won't be around.

So long and thank you for the fish,

Former dedicated daily player

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

What are your reasons for wanting to leave though?

Not speaking for OP, but I get the sense of how corny its becoming from when he was talking about the "vision of the developers"

When you watch a trailer for the game you think cavemen and dinos...yeah with guns and stuff, but that's the feeling it gives.  Then you go to laser beams and shield generators to ATVs and Jeeps and it does get a bit corny.  Can't wait to fly around in those fighter jets blowing wyverns and quetz out of the sky!

Intentionally making the game longer/slow and more grindy to an extreme is pretty bad too.

33 minutes ago, Palenor said:

Guess you never played Everquest or Runescape or World of Warcraft or RIFT or World of Tanks or Destiny or.........insert game here

Truth be told I actually haven't.  I played destiny for a little while, but it wasn't something the really hit me and I loved.

I don't mind a bit of a grind, but flying for 10 minutes one way to go get some metal is absurd.

1 hour ago, Palenor said:

Guess you never played Everquest or Runescape or World of Warcraft or RIFT or World of Tanks or Destiny or.........insert game here

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that in WoW and WoT I am 100% safe when offline. I don't *have* to log on every morning just to check if everything's still there. Those games are fun and grindy when I feel like spending time on them.

1 hour ago, Palenor said:

I have played both World of Warcraft and World of Tanks. Actually i still play WoT. Difference is, it's not a grind...or at least it doesn't feel like a grind. I can get in the game play 10 games and log off. Next year when I decide to come back, it's still going to be where I left it. 

In Ark, if I don't log next Friday all my poop it gone. 

I also fully get what OP is saying. First few tames are great. First builds are great. I actually rebuilt a brand new base with my tribe mate. But now what, we both log a few days a week to feed and that's about it. Last weekend we bred some sheep and moschops. The hype of having 8 female sheeps ending pregnancy in about 2 minute period quickly faded as we frantically ran to feed them all, then a few died, then the boredom installed when we had to hand feed raptoring sheeps for 4 hours. 

2 hours ago, Palenor said:

Those games are all fundamentally different from ark.  For example the content that has been added to ark in the past 6 months is all useless garbage that adds pretty close to nothing to the game.

There was no reason to slow ark down with the flight/swim/movement speed nerfs because it only amplifies the numerous time-sinks in the game.  I guess there was a reason for the meat feeding nerf, they introduced the daod shortly after, but it still sucks.

31 minutes ago, tidalblade said:

There was no reason to slow ark down with the flight/swim/movement speed nerfs because it only amplifies the numerous time-sinks in the game.

Actually, turret tracking in PvP for at least flight and movement speed. And if you're PvE, they've shown they have a fairly difficult time with different rules/settings in different game modes.

1 hour ago, powerstuck said:

I have played both World of Warcraft and World of Tanks. Actually i still play WoT. Difference is, it's not a grind...or at least it doesn't feel like a grind. I can get in the game play 10 games and log off. Next year when I decide to come back, it's still going to be where I left it. 

I also fully get what OP is saying. First few tames are great. First builds are great. I actually rebuilt a brand new base with my tribe mate. But now what, we both log a few days a week to feed and that's about it. Last weekend we bred some sheep and moschops. The hype of having 8 female sheeps ending pregnancy in about 2 minute period quickly faded as we frantically ran to feed them all, then a few died, then the boredom installed when we had to hand feed raptoring sheeps for 4 hours. 

you should give dreadnought a try

2 hours ago, powerstuck said:

Yup. I've played over 25000 battles in WoT and have a lot of tanks. I also haven't played it in a few months but am pretty sure I'll return to it soonish and I know that all of my tanks will still be there with all my crew exactly as I left them.

ARK however.. I played for a full year on Official PvP and besides the fact that all of my dinos and structures are long long gone, I couldn't pick up where I left off anyway because the server together with my survivor are now nowhere to be found. Guess they took it offline.

4 hours ago, Palenor said:

I have played them and you do not have to look at a bar for hours. You mostly are playing the game and progress. Yes the have also grinding but atleast your doing something.

Watch a bar going from 0 to 100, for 1 to 4 hours and see the same bare with breeding for days. Huge fun..... 

Make breeding and taming easier and make lvling that dino harder. With lvli g you doing some action...

Wow.... 3000 hours. Figure sleep and gainful employment... then pad out 2 hours a day for food, driving, bathroom breaks, bathing(hopefully)... and you are looking at 500 days straight.

The only thing I can think to fairly respond to a guy who is quitting after that much gameplay is... good for you! You have so much to catch up on! So, about Donald Trump... you are NEVER going to believe this, but...

Even for single player its not fun, all the game is about now is grinding, no matter what your doing you have to grind not for hours but days, i dont know of any other game that involves this much waiting around for things to happen, and that doesn't make a good playable game....made worse when the devs completely ignore this and do there own thing cause they 'think' it makes for a good game, talk about NOT listening to your testers 

I remember seeing the clips before even alpha was released, me and my mate where so excited by it, he never got the pre version, i did from the start, its a shame cause im also so done with this game, yet hes really excited for it, you need a degree to learn everything about it, they have easily over engineered this game, you pretty much need one of every dino, yet cap them on the xbox, also as a single player you cant learn all parts of the crafting, impossible to do the hard boss unless you turn all the settings up, 

They lost the vision for this game a long time ago, and never got it back on track

Play ANY game for over 1,000's of hours and I do could feel a burn, even with a game as fun as ARK (when played under the right conditions).

Lucky for me, I make enough money to rent a server for a long while, invite my friends to said server, do whatever we wanna do, and when we are all done and logged off, I shut down the server. This is really the only way I can play ARK since as many have mentioned, the CORE game of ARK online is literally the fact you will lose EVERYTHING if you stay way from the game for too long, where as these other games people mentioned like WoW and WoT, your crap will still be there if you take a break.

Ark doesn't have this, and as such has put a timer on itself. They will still get 1,000's more hours out of players both now and in the future, but that's just because these people will grow attached to something in the game and don't want to see it dead the next morning. So it's SP, rent a server and do what I do, or bust...which is sad because Ark can be so much better than that. the content in ARK is GREAT! Lovely even! Wonderful models and animations, stunning music, visually beautiful...but HOW all that is presented in it's PVP game mode is just AWFUL...it's potential with customization for private servers and mods is really what saves the game for me. Official ARK sucks and is too niche to last long...still very surprised SOTF failed. they should look back at it, because ARK was PERFECT in that.

They got the goods to make Ark much better than if they could just take a step back and revision what is best for Ark's future and how the game is played...will they do it? Ehhhhhh....if they get out of their tunnel vision, hopefully.

I feel somewhat the same, although I am "only" at 900hrs now. But the first moments of the game have been the best ever since. With my base now beeing 90% tek, and legions of rexes filling it, it becomes boring, and a mission to achieve is missing. Although I play on PvP, theres only few players around, and, playing solo, theres not much left to do. My last goal was to achieve all tek tier solo, which I am stuck with at medium/hard dragon. Since they messed the bosses up completely, my last goal/motivation was taken away.

But since I run my own servers, I thought about starting a new server, with primitive+ and (almost) no taming, lower dino levels, probably on ragnarok. Maybe it will bring back some of the feeling from when I started the game :)

7 hours ago, Ulta said:

Ark doesn't have this, and as such has put a timer on itself. They will still get 1,000's more hours out of players both now and in the future, but that's just because these people will grow attached to something in the game and don't want to see it dead the next morning. So it's SP, rent a server and do what I do, or bust...which is sad because Ark can be so much better than that. the content in ARK is GREAT! Lovely even! Wonderful models and animations, stunning music, visually beautiful...but HOW all that is presented in it's PVP game mode is just AWFUL...it's potential with customization for private servers and mods is really what saves the game for me. Official ARK sucks and is too niche to last long...still very surprised SOTF failed. they should look back at it, because ARK was PERFECT in that.

Yeah. The only way to enjoy ARK is with your own private server and some friends.

I played about 400 hours, until patch 255.3 broke the Mac version.

• The game is grindy in a boring way. I've played Minecraft (a lot, since InfDev), World of Warcraft, World of Tanks. None are nearly as boring or grindy as ARK.
  •  The PvP is fundamentally flawed. PvP is fun if both players can win. You either need some ladder/tier system for that, or start every match fresh with every one on equal footing. Or both. Open world free for all PvP is impossible to fix.
  • The game makes it too easy to have big losses and penalizes the players heavily for crashes, lag spikes and other things they have no control over.
  • You can not leave the game and come back to it later without usually losing everything.
  • The game, especially PvP, brings out the worst in people. It rewards bullying, paranoia, etc. It's not designed to reward good behavior.

I don't understand why people seem to think a games fidelity needs to last indefinitely. I mean, this is no World of Warcraft. You got 3,000 hours out of a game, you got your monies worth. You had your fun. It was clearly a great and amazing game for you. No need to say goodbye. Perhaps I'm just looking at this from a single players perspective, which is what they game should been, perhaps small scale co-op. This is a perfect single player game and I love it. However, I don't expect to play it for an eternity, I do expect to get another 1,000 or so hours out of it though. Waiting for official release, in hopes of a massive patch that gives more optimization and fixes most of the issues/bugs.

Archived