Wow this flyer nerf is beyond overkill.

ReturnToArk

I wish they could have made the flyer nerf have some type of sliding scale like when creating a player in EA Hockey or Football games.   

If you want boosted speed ARGY, then it's melee maxs out at say 300%, if you want a ARGY for carry heavy loads, then it's Health maxes out at 7500 etc.  Make it so it it impossible to have a speedy, killing machine, but you can at least have speed.

Sure they are slow now,  but you get used to it.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, the flyer nerf has made so little difference in my gameplay. I need to land more, especially on low-level flyers, but I've always tended to build near resources, so the reduced speed doesn't bug me at all. Quetz + Anky is still the metal harvesting king, and with the reduced metal weight in Anky inventories, you can haul more with each load to compensate for the extended travel time

Since the flyer nerf, in my opinion, some fixes were great and others not so much. I really hate how slow quetz's are now. If you play on the center, they are really bad there. The map is so huge it takes like 15 minutes or more depending on the weight you have. If the weight is too much, you might not even make it across the ocean.

I used to be able to fly across the map in a couple minutes with my wyverns, but now it takes like 10 minutes to fly to our map's popular point of trade from our base. I had to raise a wyvern and use it for weight because the wyverns are faster.

I was not a fan of the land speed dino nerf either, or the food consumption being lowered. Im waiting to make my determination on quitting after the full launch. I know the Devs are working on server stability now, which i hope works. I have been becoming more active in the forums than the game, only time can tell.

The other nerf i didnt agree with was the mindwipe tonic once per level. I totally get it, but if you are in a small tribe like i am, caves are out of the question because you wont be able to make it through them. For those of you reading and thinking "Why dont you get more people in your tribe?". The answer is because i only play with people i personally know. Ive heard a lot of horror stories from people about dinos being stolen and items being taken. I know dinos can be set to admin unclaim and what not, but items, what about items?

At any rate, i know the xbox one doesnt have the processing capacity or the GPU to make the game look good. I personally am still having issues with GPU stalls and suffering from a lot of xbox lockups and suffer huge frame rate drops at times.

1 minute ago, JoVita said:

Xxtheclashxx yea its true but still ark must take time thats why you buyed this game :D ark is about waiting

I bought this game WAY before these nerfs started to happen. I choose not to start over on the new servers because even with 3 people, including myself, it took us 2 and a half months to put together the base that we have. Right now I am the caretaker of the base because my tribe mates are on hiatus. Ier.f i were to have done this all by myself, it probably would have taken MUCH MUCH longer.

Now i need to bring a point to the timeframe here. Im not proud to say this but I have been unemployed since the end of January because Microsoft laid me off, the team i worked on was dissolved. I played this game every day for MONTHS AND MONTHS and even with the 3 of us, it still took us that long. I know when i get a job again, time will be extremely limited, which pretty much puts breeding off the table with raising babys like i was doing. So again, this comes back to the point of being in a bigger tribe, but my prerogative again is that i chose this. Unfortunately i wont be able to any longer enjoy that aspect of this game because of the food consumption and time i wont have the future.

23 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

Honestly, the flyer nerf has made so little difference in my gameplay. I need to land more, especially on low-level flyers, but I've always tended to build near resources, so the reduced speed doesn't bug me at all. Quetz + Anky is still the metal harvesting king, and with the reduced metal weight in Anky inventories, you can haul more with each load to compensate for the extended travel time

It didn't change anything for anyone, exept for the time spent pressing w. It didn't balance jackpoop, forced unofficial servers admins to add a mod in order to play the game the way they want it because WC was too lazy to make a freaking line of code allowing them to keep the fyers the way they were( alomost perfect) and one of the devs even had the balls to laugh at those complaining( then shamelessly tried to lie about it saying no no i was not laughing at you all ). Over all, the whole nerf served no positive purpose, exept for a small fraction of pvpers that complianed about their turret being too slow ( or too poorly placed) to defend their bases against pteranodons.

1 hour ago, JoVita said:

They were too owerpowered, stealing wyw eggs were too easy you had so much speed and damage too now its not that fast but fair. ;)

But you had to steal so many wyvern eggs to get that one level 190, it was a bit of a grind, but it was so much fun. I spent about 1/2 of my game time stealing eggs some days, was my favorite thing to do. After the nerf, I haven't stolen a single egg. I've stopped playing on scorched. This completely ruined the fun of it for me.

What I don't get (from a PVE point of view), this is a game, it should be designed to be fun. Instead it seems like so many changes are based around balancing out PVP and those changes end up in the PVE mode too and in my opinion making the game less fun. You talk about fairness (I can tell that must be about PVP), I could care less about what is fair, just whether it is fun to play.

1 hour ago, Naerah(Qc) said:

It didn't change anything for anyone, exept for the time spent pressing w. It didn't balance jackpoop, forced unofficial servers admins to add a mod in order to play the game the way they want it because WC was too lazy to make a freaking line of code allowing them to keep the fyers the way they were( alomost perfect) and one of the devs even had the balls to laugh at those complaining( then shamelessly tried to lie about it saying no no i was not laughing at you all ). Over all, the whole nerf served no positive purpose, exept for a small fraction of pvpers that complianed about their turret being too slow ( or too poorly placed) to defend their bases against pteranodons.

Which dev laughed at who?

That said, the nerf did drastically rectify several issues, both PvP and PvE related. In PvP, you can't blitz pick people, you can't sit on wyvern back and continuously blast lightning as you swoop by, you can't zip by on a Quetzal and blot out the sun with your rockets. Let's be really fair, flyers were very powerful in PvP, and the nerfs to their Speed and Stamina have slowed them down now to where people are going to need to be a little bit more careful in using them. Yes, you can still stand on Quetzal back and fire rockets, but when the enemies start doing it right back, you're not going to have as much of a window to lazily soar out of the way with your 200% MS tame. Same idea for Pteranodons and so forth.

And PvE, there's the entire idea of PvE threat as well as progression speed. This is a survival game. The old flyers took "survival" completely out of the equation; now, they only mostly take it out of the equation. Small impact, but it was an important one to help return some sense of "survival" to the game. It was utterly silly that players could 1v1 an Alpha Rex with a Pteranodon, the earliest flying mount, and win with ease. And when you could literally haul mountains of metal with the Quetzal to hurl yourself to the pinnacle of progression pretty much as soon as you tamed the big goofy stork, that really defeats the notion of this being a survival game.

The reasoning behind the nerf is a dead horse that has been beat so repeatedly that it hardly even resembles a bloody pulp anymore. Even a large fraction of the players who ultimately opposed the nerf agreed that flyers needed some serious rebalancing for the long-term sake of the game's major metas.

The flyer nerf to some extent was a good idea taken to extremes, my biggest beef with it is that every argent flies at the same speed, Argent A can't outrun argent B and vice versa, and fliers are the only things in the game with this ridiculous speed limit.
(I singled out the argent as an example ;) )

Imagine every player in the game running at a set speed, the uproar would be deafening and it should be, it would be simple enough to give the fliers a little more boost at the players discretion, even a modest 1 percent per level or less would make you think twice about who could or couldn't catch who.

• Volunteer Moderator
39 minutes ago, Dezes1 said:

The flyer nerf to some extent was a good idea taken to extremes, my biggest beef with it is that every argent flies at the same speed, Argent A can't outrun argent B and vice versa, and fliers are the only things in the game with this ridiculous speed limit.
(I singled out the argent as an example ;) )

Imagine every player in the game running at a set speed, the uproar would be deafening and it should be, it would be simple enough to give the fliers a little more boost at the players discretion, even a modest 1 percent per level or less would make you think twice about who could or couldn't catch who.

But speed is the only stat that was locked away on flyers. So on the race between Argent A and Argent B, it's a matter of which Argent has more stamina to spare. Flyers just changed their races from sprints to marathons.

12 hours ago, ReturnToArk said:

I recently started playing this game again.  I'm not going to argue that birds were overpowered before and yeah they probably should have been slowned down a bit, but my God!

Talk about going from one extreme to the other.  I literally don't even want to fly anywhere anymore.  I'd rather run and get metal before I go get some with an Argy.  I haven't been a member of this forum long or anything, but people agree with that right?  Flyers are garbage now.

You'll find very few people who will outright agree with you.

Those who disagree with you make up several camps, either sadists, "Alpha Players", trolls, mods, or the devs.
All have their reasons as to why the Flier Nerf was needed, only one of them makes sense, and even then it's
a really piss-poor reason at that. In the end, those who are against it only have two options: Get over it, or go
play mod/unofficial where the nerf can be undone.

1 minute ago, Sh4rk said:

Just when you thought there would be no more flyer nerf threads....

@OP, you should have been here when the nerf first hit. now THAT was overkill. flyers are just fine now and land creatures are getting used more, its a good thing. get used to it and you may come to appreciate it.

Aint that the truth? The nerf is bearable now compared to when they first implemented it. 

I still miss it.

9 hours ago, Oldskool said:

I think flyers are in a good place now. Opened up allot of other dinos to actually be used. Was a needed change imo

Would like to know which dinos now got more uses. There already were a few dinos that had a small niche in terms of beeing better to haul/scout. In terms of fighting it barly changed anything.

In pve i dare to say at least 30% of all dinos are either outright useless (besides eggs for kibble) or are "starter mounts" meaning they can and will be fast replaced by something doing its job better.

6 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

Which dev laughed at who?

That said, the nerf did drastically rectify several issues, both PvP and PvE related. In PvP, you can't blitz pick people, you can't sit on wyvern back and continuously blast lightning as you swoop by, you can't zip by on a Quetzal and blot out the sun with your rockets. Let's be really fair, flyers were very powerful in PvP, and the nerfs to their Speed and Stamina have slowed them down now to where people are going to need to be a little bit more careful in using them. Yes, you can still stand on Quetzal back and fire rockets, but when the enemies start doing it right back, you're not going to have as much of a window to lazily soar out of the way with your 200% MS tame. Same idea for Pteranodons and so forth.

And PvE, there's the entire idea of PvE threat as well as progression speed. This is a survival game. The old flyers took "survival" completely out of the equation; now, they only mostly take it out of the equation. Small impact, but it was an important one to help return some sense of "survival" to the game. It was utterly silly that players could 1v1 an Alpha Rex with a Pteranodon, the earliest flying mount, and win with ease. And when you could literally haul mountains of metal with the Quetzal to hurl yourself to the pinnacle of progression pretty much as soon as you tamed the big goofy stork, that really defeats the notion of this being a survival game.

The reasoning behind the nerf is a dead horse that has been beat so repeatedly that it hardly even resembles a bloody pulp anymore. Even a large fraction of the players who ultimately opposed the nerf agreed that flyers needed some serious rebalancing for the long-term sake of the game's major metas.

Jokes aside your reasons for pve aren't really solved by the nerf. A pter still can kill an alpha rex, it only takes longer same as with a quetz you still can harvest mountains of iron you only need to land sometimes and you need more time to do so.

Did it bring back survival to the game? You can tame very fast any medium/large carnivore as guard reducing the danger to barly nothing. Still only danger on ground are getting stuck on stones/trees and swarmed or alphas and gigas, oh and players ofc in both pvp and pve.

All that it had changed is making the game more grindy.

14 hours ago, ReturnToArk said:

I recently started playing this game again.  I'm not going to argue that birds were overpowered before and yeah they probably should have been slowned down a bit, but my God!

Talk about going from one extreme to the other.  I literally don't even want to fly anywhere anymore.  I'd rather run and get metal before I go get some with an Argy.  I haven't been a member of this forum long or anything, but people agree with that right?  Flyers are garbage now.

I agree completely. Before, yeah, they were too fast, you could fly into bases before they rendered and be completely untouched. Pteranobombs were a major issue for the people smart enough to breed 350% birds and blow them up to raptor their enemies. (But you can still do this with speed gallis, iirc, which doesn't fix the problem. Only changes the mount.)

Rather than balancing the fliers, they just drove them into the ground and made them damn near worthless. The quetzal takes an insane amount of time to get across the map, so unless you have a nearby mining base, good luck friend. At least they gave a weight reduction to metal in an anky's inventory, so the 30% weight application nerf didnt absolutely ruin farming.

They should have either:

• Nerfed Base Speed and % Upgrades
  • Buffed Stamina and Weight % Upgrades Greatly While Removing Speed Upgrades
  • Released an Aggressive, Larger than Quetzal Alpha Bird that Attacks Anything Nearby

Any of those would have been balancing. Imagine getting chased by an alpha bird that's 4x the size of a Quetz and hits like a train.. Your metal run would be absolutely sausageed. Good luck finding those bags.

4 minutes ago, Xelanie said:

I agree completely. Before, yeah, they were too fast, you could fly into bases before they rendered and be completely untouched. Pteranobombs were a major issue for the people smart enough to breed 350% birds and blow them up to raptor their enemies. (But you can still do this with speed gallis, iirc, which doesn't fix the problem. Only changes the mount.)

Rather than balancing the fliers, they just drove them into the ground and made them damn near worthless. The quetzal takes an insane amount of time to get across the map, so unless you have a nearby mining base, good luck friend. At least they gave a weight reduction to metal in an anky's inventory, so the 30% weight application nerf didnt absolutely ruin farming.

They should have either:

• Nerfed Base Speed and % Upgrades
  • Buffed Stamina and Weight % Upgrades Greatly While Removing Speed Upgrades
  • Released an Aggressive, Larger than Quetzal Alpha Bird that Attacks Anything Nearby

Any of those would have been balancing. Imagine getting chased by an alpha bird that's 4x the size of a Quetz and hits like a train.. Your metal run would be absolutely sausageed. Good luck finding those bags.

Or, they could have just made it so that C4 couldn't be attached to any living animal, period. That would instantly fix "pteranobombing" or Suicide Bombing in general.

They could have, and from what I've been told, in the past, had flying dinosaurs take extra damage from specific weapons. They rescinded the change because
"No one liked it", Well, there's been more than sufficient complaint about the flier nerf. yet it remains. So why not re-institute the extra damage? Or better yet, why
not make the turrets target either from much further out, or make them faster? Jat told us when explaining the nerf that "it was just numbers and could be adjusted
easy", then why would turrets be any different?

There are a million and one ways that the "flier imbalance" could have been resolved that didn't warrant destroying one of the most liberal and enjoyable aspects of
the game. But, that;s only one side of the story.

The true reason fliers got nerfed wasnt because they were some god-tier, overpowered, engines of destruction. It's wasn't because "lol they made 80% of the game
obsolete/skippable", it's simply because people weren't utilizing the land based dinosaurs, and that's entirely the fault of the developers and game designers. Not to
beat a dead equss, but I'll explain.

First and foremost, thee island, the center, scorched earth, and from what little I've seen of Ragnarok, have vast, detailed worlds to wander and explore. Ground clutter
is to be expected, but when you have something like a T-Rex constantly getting stuck on something the size of a sheep, not only does it break immersion, but it's down
right frustrating, now amplify that by 100, because dinos get stuck on everything... No one used ground-based dinos because traveling on land was a chore and a test
of patience. Never mind using a dinosaur-train in order to travel from one base to another, or transporting large amounts of materials from point A to B.

Terrain is only part of it, Pathfinding and A,I is another.. There are limitations on what you can feasibly do with the Dino A.I, and I'm not looking for self awareness or
sentience, but there's room for improvement for sure. More than that, the pathfinding needs to be reworked.. If I go around a rock, then my dinosaur should be able to
do the same, not stupidly charge into the rock I avoided simply because it's following me...

The one major reason that people avoided using land dinosaurs is one that they are supposed to be addressing, and that's utility. A lot of the older dinosaurs simply
don't cut it utility wise compared to the new ones. Why would you ever tame and use a parasaur when the Iguanodon is so much better in just about every way? It
can attack and defend itself fairly well. It can transport heavier loads of mats, and when it runs away it has damn-near infinite stamina. The only use Parasaurs have
now are to be added into egg farms so they can use the eggs for kibble.. Triceratops & Stegos are worthless. One could argue that Trikes can be used as war mounts,
but why would you when you have the Whooly Rhino? Why would you ever tame a Stego for any reason but kibble? Just about every "Legacy Dino" that launched with
the original game will end up getting re-tooled or at least updated to be more viable, except for the fliers...

That being said, why should anyone dictate what dinosaurs we use in-game? I don't care if the developers don't want us using nothing but flying dinosaurs, that's our
call to make, not theirs, and if they were going to force the nerf on us anyway, they should have at least fixed the problems that bred this situation first before shoving
the nerf down our throats.

53 minutes ago, Extraterrestrial said:

Or, they could have just made it so that C4 couldn't be attached to any living animal, period. That would instantly fix "pteranobombing" or Suicide Bombing in general.

They could have, and from what I've been told, in the past, had flying dinosaurs take extra damage from specific weapons. They rescinded the change because
"No one liked it", Well, there's been more than sufficient complaint about the flier nerf. yet it remains. So why not re-institute the extra damage? Or better yet, why
not make the turrets target either from much further out, or make them faster? Jat told us when explaining the nerf that "it was just numbers and could be adjusted
easy", then why would turrets be any different?

There are a million and one ways that the "flier imbalance" could have been resolved that didn't warrant destroying one of the most liberal and enjoyable aspects of
the game. But, that;s only one side of the story.

The true reason fliers got nerfed wasnt because they were some god-tier, overpowered, engines of destruction. It's wasn't because "lol they made 80% of the game
obsolete/skippable", it's simply because people weren't utilizing the land based dinosaurs, and that's entirely the fault of the developers and game designers. Not to
beat a dead equss, but I'll explain.

First and foremost, thee island, the center, scorched earth, and from what little I've seen of Ragnarok, have vast, detailed worlds to wander and explore. Ground clutter
is to be expected, but when you have something like a T-Rex constantly getting stuck on something the size of a sheep, not only does it break immersion, but it's down
right frustrating, now amplify that by 100, because dinos get stuck on everything... No one used ground-based dinos because traveling on land was a chore and a test
of patience. Never mind using a dinosaur-train in order to travel from one base to another, or transporting large amounts of materials from point A to B.

Terrain is only part of it, Pathfinding and A,I is another.. There are limitations on what you can feasibly do with the Dino A.I, and I'm not looking for self awareness or
sentience, but there's room for improvement for sure. More than that, the pathfinding needs to be reworked.. If I go around a rock, then my dinosaur should be able to
do the same, not stupidly charge into the rock I avoided simply because it's following me...

The one major reason that people avoided using land dinosaurs is one that they are supposed to be addressing, and that's utility. A lot of the older dinosaurs simply
don't cut it utility wise compared to the new ones. Why would you ever tame and use a parasaur when the Iguanodon is so much better in just about every way? It
can attack and defend itself fairly well. It can transport heavier loads of mats, and when it runs away it has damn-near infinite stamina. The only use Parasaurs have
now are to be added into egg farms so they can use the eggs for kibble.. Triceratops & Stegos are worthless. One could argue that Trikes can be used as war mounts,
but why would you when you have the Whooly Rhino? Why would you ever tame a Stego for any reason but kibble? Just about every "Legacy Dino" that launched with
the original game will end up getting re-tooled or at least updated to be more viable, except for the fliers...

That being said, why should anyone dictate what dinosaurs we use in-game? I don't care if the developers don't want us using nothing but flying dinosaurs, that's our
call to make, not theirs, and if they were going to force the nerf on us anyway, they should have at least fixed the problems that bred this situation first before shoving
the nerf down our throats.

amen

16 hours ago, ReturnToArk said:

quetz platform + ankylo. Even if you're alone you can drop and swing. you can mine all of redwood mountain and gather more metal than you could carry normally. If you have tribemates you can make the forward ramp and have a friggin party lol

Archived