Wow this flyer nerf is beyond overkill.

ReturnToArk

6 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

So then by your logic PvP would have been hit harder because they build just as much if not more then a PvE'r especially costly things like turrets and bullets and those things get destroyed and need to be replaced. So not only do they have to farm more then you but they have all the other things that you alluded to as well. So they have even harder time farming. You destroyed your own argument.

I am talking about boredom.

I tried PvP servers and the griefing going on there is too great for me to play at this point.

On a PvP server yes, you are right that you get to farm just as much or maybe more since you can get wiped BUT the PvP server also provides you with a different, more adrenaline experience than a PvE server. On PvE servers you have less things to do in the game than on a PvP server and those things revolve around FARMING for materials which is mostly boring. So in my personal opinion, they made PvE more boring and less exciting with the flyer nerf since now you have to press W longer and waste more time than before. They went overboard and I saw this post and came here to mainly suggest an option/command be implemented for single player or unofficial server to turn the nerf on or off. I did not come to argue or have an ''argument'' with anyone i merely stated my point of view which is different than yours....

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Julline said:

I am talking about boredom.

I tried PvP servers and the griefing going on there is too great for me to play at this point.

On a PvP server yes, you are right that you get to farm just as much or maybe more since you can get wiped BUT the PvP server also provides you with a different, more adrenaline experience than a PvE server. On PvE servers you have less things to do in the game than on a PvP server and those things revolve around FARMING for materials which is mostly boring. So in my personal opinion, they made PvE more boring and less exciting with the flyer nerf since now you have to press W longer and waste more time than before. They went overboard and I saw this post and came here to mainly suggest an option/command be implemented for single player or unofficial server to turn the nerf on or off. I did not come to argue or have an ''argument'' with anyone i merely stated my point of view which is different than yours....

Do all caves on foot... it's pretty exciting... 

16 minutes ago, LittleRedReaper said:

It IS hard in the following reasons for me, a day 1 xbox official server pve player.

Trades take forever. If I only have an hour to be on I will literally sometimes have to wait like 30 minutes for someone to load up their bird and come over depending where they are on the map.

It takes an incredibly long time on a quetz to trade/ carry resources back to base. This is similar to the last one. (Which is the same for pvp I would assume in regards to materials) 

People and their time are variables in this flyer nerf equation. I get the nerf whole heartedly for pvp because yes, there are more issues that come from nerfs/buffs. But on pve it didn't really balance anything, it just made it take an ungodly amount of time to do things that should take 20 minutes fewer than it does. Like I said in Pvp this is really fair, but pve is whole other beast and I still contend pve and pvp updates/nerfs/buffs should be treated as separate entities. No one on pve is trying to destroy bases with super fast flyers, or outrun turrets etc. I guess the difference is kinda like this. Pve are the farmers and pvp are the fighters, you wouldn't want the farmers telling you that guns are too OP for raiding when they are utilizing said guns differently than a fighter.

At the end of the day pvp and pve have different concerns and each has very valid points about nerfs/ buffs. I dunno it's water under the bridge at this point. I only hope they buff quetz speed because I wasn't joking about my bronto/character/ anything being faster than a flying quetz and I loved my old quetz with a decent movement speed and now she is trash :(

I agree partly,  pve and pvp should be different modes,  sorta.. but you aren't just farmers, ark is still suppose to be a survival game,  you can state "extra tedium" all you want but having to land more or/and things taking longer out beyond your base does increase the likely hood that you will have to deal with the environment, which is part of the game.  May be boring because you've tamed and levelled to a certain point,  but just because you've grown to that point doesn't mean you are exempt from surviving..

25 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

I agree partly,  pve and pvp should be different modes,  sorta.. but you aren't just farmers, ark is still suppose to be a survival game,  you can state "extra tedium" all you want but having to land more or/and things taking longer out beyond your base does increase the likely hood that you will have to deal with the environment, which is part of the game.  May be boring because you've tamed and levelled to a certain point,  but just because you've grown to that point doesn't mean you are exempt from surviving..

I don't think anyone seriously thinks this is a survival game for the normal every day chores you do in ARK once you get past about level 50.

I do like to start over on new servers a lot, because there is a survival element the first few days, but after that, about the only reason you ever die is doing some new or extremely dangerous or dumb thing. I mostly die by some bug in the game or fault on my PC or the server after I've been playing a serer for a week. For instance, the last time I died, the server rebooted for some unknown reason. I was dropped into a small pond, where I assume I drowned. When I logged back in I was dead. Very typical of most deaths after level 50 when playing PVE.

PVE is not about surviving. It is like others have said, about being creative and making or taming things. It could be about the social game. It is what ever you want to make it, but not about surviving. If you don't get this, you probably only play PVP ARK.

5 minutes ago, wildbill said:

I don't think anyone seriously thinks this is a survival game for the normal every day chores you do in ARK once you get past about level 50.

I do like to start over on new servers a lot, because there is a survival element the first few days, but after that, about the only reason you ever die is doing some new or extremely dangerous or dumb thing. I mostly die by some bug in the game or fault on my PC or the server after I've been playing a serer for a week. For instance, the last time I died, the server rebooted for some unknown reason. I was dropped into a small pond, where I assume I drowned. When I logged back in I was dead. Very typical of most deaths after level 50 when playing PVE.

PVE is not about surviving. It is like others have said, about being creative and making or taming things. It could be about the social game. It is what ever you want to make it, but not about surviving. If you don't get this, you probably only play PVP ARK.

I do play pvp, but I'm a pver at heart, I prefer taming and building,  I just like the option to take care of trolls and whatnot.. but it is a survival game,  and increasing time outside of your base and the amount of stops for flyers does increase the opportunities to conflict with the environment, that is a fact.. if you never die to any of it, kudos, you play well,  but not everyone is you and regardless of how great a player you are,  that doesn't make you exempt from experiencing the environment, no matter how long you've played. If you are bored with it, that's on you,  i was personally bored with fast flyers, but I see the reasoning for the nerf (beyond performance issues).

I like that the flyers fill a specific role, but the snail pace of a quetzal is still annoying. I use Argent for small amounts of lifting resources and odds and ends with over 1k weight. Which is a nice thing to have between a low weight flyer and the heavy weight quetzal. I still use quetzal/ankylo and I am pretty close to metal nodes with those. Although I do spend less time harvesting metal these days.

I don't use ptera anymore. Early game they are are amazing with getting around to avoid a lot of dangers. Although without a lot of mutations its going to be stuck as a short range flyer and more of a scout than anything with all points into stamina. Tapes are still great flyers for multiple roles. wyverns still fill a purpose, and Griffins are a nice niche with the speed and gliding around a map, but as of right now a 140+ griffin tame is all you can hope for on stats you want.

I knew there will be some blow back from the nerf, and I knew I had to adapt to the change. I've had some fun with fast land mounts running across the map a few times. With fast travel beds everywhere on the island I tend to just use those more than anything to get around. Since I have dinos and bases in range of every major resource, sea, cave, and mountain.

I think very positively of the flyer nerf. I think it is fair because on pvp you can just have like 300 speed quetzals flying around killing anything and everything they see and people could jump off and clusterbomb everything. It was very overpowered and deserved a nerf. Although it is annoying to get around by air now, birds are still the best way to get around. Birds now have higher weight after the flyer nerf. My old highest weight on a quetzal was 4000 now it is 7000. 

15 hours ago, Extraterrestrial said:

Or, they could have just made it so that C4 couldn't be attached to any living animal, period. That would instantly fix "pteranobombing" or Suicide Bombing in general.

They could have, and from what I've been told, in the past, had flying dinosaurs take extra damage from specific weapons. They rescinded the change because
"No one liked it", Well, there's been more than sufficient complaint about the flier nerf. yet it remains. So why not re-institute the extra damage? Or better yet, why
not make the turrets target either from much further out, or make them faster? Jat told us when explaining the nerf that "it was just numbers and could be adjusted
easy", then why would turrets be any different?

There are a million and one ways that the "flier imbalance" could have been resolved that didn't warrant destroying one of the most liberal and enjoyable aspects of
the game. But, that;s only one side of the story.

The true reason fliers got nerfed wasnt because they were some god-tier, overpowered, engines of destruction. It's wasn't because "lol they made 80% of the game
obsolete/skippable", it's simply because people weren't utilizing the land based dinosaurs, and that's entirely the fault of the developers and game designers. Not to
beat a dead equss, but I'll explain.

First and foremost, thee island, the center, scorched earth, and from what little I've seen of Ragnarok, have vast, detailed worlds to wander and explore. Ground clutter
is to be expected, but when you have something like a T-Rex constantly getting stuck on something the size of a sheep, not only does it break immersion, but it's down
right frustrating, now amplify that by 100, because dinos get stuck on everything... No one used ground-based dinos because traveling on land was a chore and a test
of patience. Never mind using a dinosaur-train in order to travel from one base to another, or transporting large amounts of materials from point A to B.

Terrain is only part of it, Pathfinding and A,I is another.. There are limitations on what you can feasibly do with the Dino A.I, and I'm not looking for self awareness or
sentience, but there's room for improvement for sure. More than that, the pathfinding needs to be reworked.. If I go around a rock, then my dinosaur should be able to
do the same, not stupidly charge into the rock I avoided simply because it's following me...

The one major reason that people avoided using land dinosaurs is one that they are supposed to be addressing, and that's utility. A lot of the older dinosaurs simply
don't cut it utility wise compared to the new ones. Why would you ever tame and use a parasaur when the Iguanodon is so much better in just about every way? It
can attack and defend itself fairly well. It can transport heavier loads of mats, and when it runs away it has damn-near infinite stamina. The only use Parasaurs have
now are to be added into egg farms so they can use the eggs for kibble.. Triceratops & Stegos are worthless. One could argue that Trikes can be used as war mounts,
but why would you when you have the Whooly Rhino? Why would you ever tame a Stego for any reason but kibble? Just about every "Legacy Dino" that launched with
the original game will end up getting re-tooled or at least updated to be more viable, except for the fliers...

That being said, why should anyone dictate what dinosaurs we use in-game? I don't care if the developers don't want us using nothing but flying dinosaurs, that's our
call to make, not theirs, and if they were going to force the nerf on us anyway, they should have at least fixed the problems that bred this situation first before shoving
the nerf down our throats.

Not sure if this will be relevant, considering I don't know how you spend your time/feel about other games, but the situation reminds me of League of Legend's URF mode.

Riotgames got irritated that people were only playing the champions that were fun in that game mode. It gives crazy buffs, low as heck cooldowns, and people mainly play overpowered mages. Because it's fun to shoot spells infinitely. That's what makes URF what it is. So, they made it so the game mode was no longer URF, and now you have ARURF. Which is URF.. but all random. Moral of the story is that it pissed people off because a company shouldn't dictate what players do with the content they're given. If I want to use only an argent to live my ARK life, I should be allowed to. For early players, a flier makes a MASSIVE difference. You get your first bird, you can finally travel to get other resources. They also didn't consider alphas.

What happens when there is an alpha tribe who has bases all over the server, and if you run the wrong direction, you'll be shot and killed along with your dino and anything it's carrying? Where is that fair?

9 hours ago, Xelanie said:

Not sure if this will be relevant, considering I don't know how you spend your time/feel about other games, but the situation reminds me of League of Legend's URF mode.

Riotgames got irritated that people were only playing the champions that were fun in that game mode. It gives crazy buffs, low as heck cooldowns, and people mainly play overpowered mages. Because it's fun to shoot spells infinitely. That's what makes URF what it is. So, they made it so the game mode was no longer URF, and now you have ARURF. Which is URF.. but all random. Moral of the story is that it pissed people off because a company shouldn't dictate what players do with the content they're given. If I want to use only an argent to live my ARK life, I should be allowed to. For early players, a flier makes a MASSIVE difference. You get your first bird, you can finally travel to get other resources. They also didn't consider alphas.

What happens when there is an alpha tribe who has bases all over the server, and if you run the wrong direction, you'll be shot and killed along with your dino and anything it's carrying? Where is that fair?

It isn't fair, it was never meant to be fair... its a survival game, getting a flyer at low level just removes all elements of survival especially pre nerf... oh look an alpha rex, i'll just fly over it, actually no i'll spin attack it with a squishy ptera until it dies and makes a dino that was added to the game to be the ultimate threat to survivors look like a glowing red dodo. 

The only people who tend to still complain about the nerf are the PvE community, ironically they forget the part where the devs said the nerf was mostly aimed at PvE to stop the mass use of flyers and only flyers, making 80% of content useless.

13 hours ago, dslick said:

I never played the game before flyer nerfs so I wou'dnt know. I play PVE, and if I was flying faster than anything in game, it would be ez mode and therefore no challenge, no fun. 

I never played World of Warcraft, but the game sucks because you can't be a gunner! (see how stupid that sounds?)  You can't judge something if you haven't been a part of it

1 hour ago, YUSHOETMI said:

It isn't fair, it was never meant to be fair... its a survival game, getting a flyer at low level just removes all elements of survival especially pre nerf... oh look an alpha rex, i'll just fly over it, actually no i'll spin attack it with a squishy ptera until it dies and makes a dino that was added to the game to be the ultimate threat to survivors look like a glowing red dodo. 

The only people who tend to still complain about the nerf are the PvE community, ironically they forget the part where the devs said the nerf was mostly aimed at PvE to stop the mass use of flyers and only flyers, making 80% of content useless.

Didn't mean alpha dinos. :B I meant alpha tribes with their bases lit up on PvP. Like I said in a previous post, there's other things they could have done to balance it rather than nerfing it into the ground. Game is unbalanced as can be, but I'm a masochist who can't get enough. So I deal with it even though I don't like it.

31 minutes ago, Xelanie said:

Didn't mean alpha dinos. :B I meant alpha tribes with their bases lit up on PvP. Like I said in a previous post, there's other things they could have done to balance it rather than nerfing it into the ground. Game is unbalanced as can be, but I'm a masochist who can't get enough. So I deal with it even though I don't like it.

I understood you meant alpha tribes rather than dinos, I just meant pre nerf you could take on even a level 150 alpha rex with a kibble tamed ptera, it made a dino that was meant to be the ultimate threat to survivors seem like a joke.

Not to mention you could get a saddle at level 35? which would take less than a day and circumvent any threat in the game even alpha tribes to a degree.  Personally I think the nerf was good for both game modes, I play PvP and it was stupid, the entire meta revolved around flyers, every other dino was just a ornament in the base, it required no skill so even low skilled players could fly into a base and drop c4 before the turrets even spotted them, not to mention being picked whilst farming so fast that the first thing you knew about it was when you was falling to your death.

The only thing I would change is boost the quetz speed a little, and make the wyverns a little less squishy.

2 hours ago, Xelanie said:

They were actually buffed,  no more wasted stat points on wild tames,  slower overall,  but every other stat is usually better.  And if you run your "scout" ptera into a base you should have scouted and known about,  that's your carelessness. What I don't get is where players feel they should have consequentless actions,  it's a survival game,  flyers that had speed were super forgiving for both pvp and pve, so they took that our of the equation.

2 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

I understood you meant alpha tribes rather than dinos, I just meant pre nerf you could take on even a level 150 alpha rex with a kibble tamed ptera, it made a dino that was meant to be the ultimate threat to survivors seem like a joke.

Not to mention you could get a saddle at level 35? which would take less than a day and circumvent any threat in the game even alpha tribes to a degree.  Personally I think the nerf was good for both game modes, I play PvP and it was stupid, the entire meta revolved around flyers, every other dino was just a ornament in the base, it required no skill so even low skilled players could fly into a base and drop c4 before the turrets even spotted them, not to mention being picked whilst farming so fast that the first thing you knew about it was when you was falling to your death.

The only thing I would change is boost the quetz speed a little, and make the wyverns a little less squishy.

Wyvern were hit really hard imo, especially in primitive were they had already been nerfed, doing 70 percent less damage with their bite and taking 70 percent more damage from everything.. I'm cool with the not so great bite,  makes sense to have its breath be your major damage maker, but they were already squishy af.. kinda sucks for something you have to raise and get milk for. 

1 hour ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

Wyvern were hit really hard imo, especially in primitive were they had already been nerfed, doing 70 percent less damage with their bite and taking 70 percent more damage from everything.. I'm cool with the not so great bite,  makes sense to have its breath be your major damage maker, but they were already squishy af.. kinda sucks for something you have to raise and get milk for. 

The game would be better without dragons period 

10 minutes ago, Zederia said:

and sabreteeth are mammals in a dinosaur game. and a griffin is mythical, but you're not complaining about them

I don't like griffins either or ragnarok's release as a whole but that's another topic for a different thread. And sabertooths make a lot more sense since they were real and also alive around the same time.

Archived