Preventing players using the server as storage...

JetJaguar

I'm with the people that can't fathom the need for 500 dinos in the first place... I have no desire to feed that many mouths, lol.

It's not a terrible idea, but I think there need to be some additional conditions. First, if you give players one dino pool, transfers need to work 100% of the time with no dino loss. I don't think it's a huge or wide spread issue, but if you tell people they get one set of dinos per ID, there shouldn't be any risk in moving them between servers. This should really be the case by full launch regardless.

Otherwise, I think its a different pool of dinos per cluster (but maybe less than 500). It makes no sense that my (imaginary) PvE dinos should impact my limit of PvP dinos. Put another way, I don't think a PvE player with 495 dinos should be limited to only 5 tames if they decide they'd like to give PvP a try, and shouldn't need to cull either. Same story with HC or prim, etc. if you can't transfer the dinos it should be a different pool/cap. Of course, that could get complicated.

All and all though, does this really help? I mean that earnestly, but let's say a tribe of 10 decides to store 400 dinos each on your server and keep the 100 each that they actually use on their own. That's still 4K dinos just sitting there.

If a tribe is on your server but not actively playing on the server just using it as storage or in case they come back, kite a giga or titan to their base. When they log back in to refresh timers all your problems will be solved. 

Its a sausage move admittedly but people will always take advantage of the pve mechanics to make the game more annoying for other people 

The perfect solution for this is to have a permanent method of digital storage. Think of it as an obelisk without a 24 hour timer. And a 3D printer of sorts. 

Dino DNA is digitized and saved and can be stored thus taking it off the cap. It could also be used for breeding for egg layers and mammals. Make it like a cloning chamber but have a birthing pool instead

You choose the pair of Dino's you want to mate and it starts the gestation timer. For eggs it 3D prints a fertilized egg and can even incubate it too. It would be a one stop shop for storage and breeding. 

Power by tek generator and not too expensive so it is attainable by everyone

my questions is:

HOW THE HECK DO YOU RIDE 500 DINO'S AT ONCE?!

its absolutely ridiculous, I loose count of the amount of dodos I have and cant even bring myself to keep anything I currently have that aren't useful.

I can only think of 50 creatures I am interested in and that's a mated pair, purely for eggs and kibble, I only ever use the Giga, Argy, Anklio, bear (barely :D ) quetz, doeod, beave, rex and yuty.

want a pair for egg production on allos but that's about it.

where in their logic can 500 creatures, doing nothing, be useful? you're just spending more time grinding out food for them!

19 hours ago, TangoOsmo said:

PvE should have some maintaining aspects to keep players somehow active on official servers. Structures should lose hp over time and dinos eat more or something.

I think this is a good idea and rewards regular players especially if the dino food went down quicker the lower it gets, then theres the opposite side off that where dino's would eat less if they was at max food.  Just like when babies grow up, the older they get, the less they eat, so I doubt it would be hard to implement.

Also with the buildings, maybe 1 hp per day on the exterior ones but inside ones stay in tact.  Especially if we get regular storms, bring thunder to the island, give us tornado's, volcano eruptions, heat waves and ice ages :P 

4 hours ago, BarryCade said:

Also with the buildings, maybe 1 hp per day on the exterior ones but inside ones stay in tact.  Especially if we get regular storms, bring thunder to the island, give us tornado's, volcano eruptions, heat waves and ice ages :P 

Apologies if this going to sound rude,

But I had to semi-stop during my 1 and near 7 months a total of 6 months due to work needs.

I have a job AND I like this game while my friends playing it, who also have jobs and families, turning ARK into a hardcore MMO would result in many people like my case (and my tribe mates) to just stop playing. As I do not have so much free time every day. some days I can play for long, but in cases where work is reaching the peak, I can't even look at my gaming PC.

to OP:

Aside from the breaks I mentioned above, WC releases DLC's, so want to play them, so I will not continue playing if I came back from SE and found that all my stuff and my tribe's stuff just gone as a punishment for enjoying a DLC they released which was requiring lots of efforts at start before the transfer of the dino became a thing.

Regarding the dino limit, we worked around it due to some of the tribe breeding and egg dinos and personal dinos exceeded the 500 (we were active 14 players). I bought a 2nd account, and I don't mind buying a 3rd one if I have to. (before anyone's jump on me, No! we don't stack dodos, we have 1 male and 3 females minimum of each dino that lays eggs)

so egg dinos alone can reach 260 easily due to some of them not laying eggs so often, so we tame more than 3 females. add to that breeding dinos (can't tell my tribe to kill their wolves ...etc so I can keep my rexs).

8 hours ago, X111 said:

my questions is:

HOW THE HECK DO YOU RIDE 500 DINO'S AT ONCE?!

You don't.  I'm a breeder, where some people find their enjoyment in exploring caves, killing bosses, taming new dinos, I enjoy breeding dinos over and over and over again to get unique mutations and improved base levels.

Which means I need eggs for imprinting, so I keep 2 of most of the imprinting dinos and 4 of the ones I seem to continue running out of. (1 male, + X females).

I do keep a backlog of rexes, so that I can do bosses occasionally, ranging stats, since I'm a solo tribe and I need to be able to fill any boss run with my own rexes I have 30-40ish of these currently.

Then I have the unmutated dinos I run eggs from, depending on what dinos I'm going for mutations from.  For example I'm working on megalanias atm, so I have 1 male and 5 different unmutated megas, that I constantly get fert eggs from.  I'm also working on mosa and squids and gigas.

Then for each mutation I do have, I have a male and a female.  

I currently have a number of giga colour mutations: Cyan, neon green, yellow legs, red, slate blue, magenta. I still have mint green and purple to hatch. but that effectively means I have a mated pair for each, and the odd spare, and soon I'll be working on combos so I have about 12 different coloured gigas atm.

I raised mosas to sell, I have the base ones I breed from, and sales, so I have 9 different mosas right now.  4 squids.

I have cyan blue yellow red and orange thylas, so 2 of each of those colours.

I'm fairly conservative in my dinos, I cull or give away or clean out shop frequently when I start needing less kibble or stop breeding that dino.

and even still I have ~380 odd dinos.

I hate the idea of structures losing hp over time.  My barn is quite big, and dinos already eat more now that they fixed stasis, I really don't want to have to run up to each individual wall of the odd 500-600 walls that it took to make the base to repair them. It's not feasible.

9 hours ago, Celessii said:

You don't.  I'm a breeder, where some people find their enjoyment in exploring caves, killing bosses, taming new dinos, I enjoy breeding dinos over and over and over again to get unique mutations and improved base levels.

Which means I need eggs for imprinting, so I keep 2 of most of the imprinting dinos and 4 of the ones I seem to continue running out of. (1 male, + X females).

I do keep a backlog of rexes, so that I can do bosses occasionally, ranging stats, since I'm a solo tribe and I need to be able to fill any boss run with my own rexes I have 30-40ish of these currently.

Then I have the unmutated dinos I run eggs from, depending on what dinos I'm going for mutations from.  For example I'm working on megalanias atm, so I have 1 male and 5 different unmutated megas, that I constantly get fert eggs from.  I'm also working on mosa and squids and gigas.

Then for each mutation I do have, I have a male and a female.  

I currently have a number of giga colour mutations: Cyan, neon green, yellow legs, red, slate blue, magenta. I still have mint green and purple to hatch. but that effectively means I have a mated pair for each, and the odd spare, and soon I'll be working on combos so I have about 12 different coloured gigas atm.

I raised mosas to sell, I have the base ones I breed from, and sales, so I have 9 different mosas right now.  4 squids.

I have cyan blue yellow red and orange thylas, so 2 of each of those colours.

I'm fairly conservative in my dinos, I cull or give away or clean out shop frequently when I start needing less kibble or stop breeding that dino.

and even still I have ~380 odd dinos.

I hate the idea of structures losing hp over time.  My barn is quite big, and dinos already eat more now that they fixed stasis, I really don't want to have to run up to each individual wall of the odd 500-600 walls that it took to make the base to repair them. It's not feasible.

Legit response, thank you.

I can almost see sense in this then, I think I don't get the idea of it seeing that I am more into the building and taming aspect of it.

I do have my neon coloured ptera's and high stat argy's that I am breeding (I kill off the parents once I get the stats I want from the babies, or neuter and give away)but that is only because I cant invest time for 100% imprint or higher level dino imprints such as Gigas.

I do have a 98% imprinted Giga I raised in SE but that is when I was stuck in bed with nothing else to do.

unfortunately I have a full time job so the only thing I can do with 2 hours gameplay during the week and the odd 4 -5 worth of scattered hours over the weekend means I have to be extremely selective and mining resources to buy high level breeding pairs is the only way I can cut out on the impossible (in my situation) requirements.

people may say use my annual leave but I prefer to use my annual leave for holidays in Mexico and South Africa.

On 24/07/2017 at 4:53 AM, powerstuck said:

One solution, even if it may not be idea is to impose a timed limit.

Let me explain : You join a server you've never been on. First 10 days...you can have a maximum of 10 dinos. 

Next 10 days you can have a maximum of 20.

So...only over a course of X number of weeks/months do you unlock the full 500 limit. 

It's not ideal, number would need to be tweaked. But a tribe comes from a server and wants to transfer all their 1000 dinos...they cannot do that in a single day.

Yeah.. but that would stop cross ark wars between the tribes too. It's not gonna happen.

19 hours ago, X111 said:

its absolutely ridiculous, I loose count of the amount of dodos I have and cant even bring myself to keep anything I currently have that aren't useful.

I can only think of 50 creatures I am interested in and that's a mated pair, purely for eggs and kibble, I only ever use the Giga, Argy, Anklio, bear (barely :D ) quetz, doeod, beave, rex and yuty.

want a pair for egg production on allos but that's about it.

where in their logic can 500 creatures, doing nothing, be useful? you're just spending more time grinding out food for them!

We are close to 500 (something ver 480) and we are only a two people tribe. The answer to why is: Breeding

We only breed theries, yutys, pteranos and deaodons, still to get good blood lines and have enough to continue breeding you need an extensive amount of dinos. Our kibble farm is tiny compared to our breeding "factory".

the way I have done it with the pteras is breading a pair with desired visual mutations, I then get what I want, kill off the parents, then breed the offspring, rinse and repeat.

no that I have the mutations at about 120 each side I will start breading with a lvl 5, the mutations will carry over but I will start levelling stats in weight and stam on 1 side and melee and health on the other

I only ever have 4 adult pteras at any time

15 minutes ago, X111 said:

the way I have done it with the pteras is breading a pair with desired visual mutations, I then get what I want, kill off the parents, then breed the offspring, rinse and repeat.

no that I have the mutations at about 120 each side I will start breading with a lvl 5, the mutations will carry over but I will start levelling stats in weight and stam on 1 side and melee and health on the other

I only ever have 4 adult pteras at any time

I only breed for stats im not that much into visuals, i am more a min max person. ^^

The thing is if i keep 20 female and 1 male pteras at the same stage i can produce 20 eggs at once. This will cut down the time i need to wait for the desired mutations to appear, while keeping the mutation count as low as possible. So i go and do for example 4 blood lines every blood line will only stack mutations on one specific stat and i keep 10-20 females of the current generation. Older generations will be killed. Thats because i not only want a mutation but in one specific stat, if it has one in any other stat it will be killed.

If they hit 20/20 with stacked mutations i combine the blood lines and then the breeding is pretty much at it's end.

On 7/24/2017 at 1:53 PM, powerstuck said:

One solution, even if it may not be idea is to impose a timed limit.

Let me explain : You join a server you've never been on. First 10 days...you can have a maximum of 10 dinos. 

Next 10 days you can have a maximum of 20.

So...only over a course of X number of weeks/months do you unlock the full 500 limit. 

It's not ideal, number would need to be tweaked. But a tribe comes from a server and wants to transfer all their 1000 dinos...they cannot do that in a single day.

Great idea

20 hours ago, Shbear said:

Aside from the breaks I mentioned above, WC releases DLC's, so want to play them, so I will not continue playing if I came back from SE and found that all my stuff and my tribe's stuff just gone as a punishment for enjoying a DLC they released which was requiring lots of efforts at start before the transfer of the dino became a thing.

I have some bad news. It already is like this. If you own a dino on theIsland, another one on theCenter and a 3rd one on SE, you need visit all 3 maps to reset timers and you need to feed all 3 dinos to keep them alive. Now, if you have one on Ragnarok aswell, then that's 4 places to maintain. And any NEW MAP dlc will increase the issue not solve it.

On ‎24‎.‎7‎.‎2017 at 11:39 PM, Shbear said:

Apologies if this going to sound rude,

But I had to semi-stop during my 1 and near 7 months a total of 6 months due to work needs.

I have a job AND I like this game while my friends playing it, who also have jobs and families, turning ARK into a hardcore MMO would result in many people like my case (and my tribe mates) to just stop playing. As I do not have so much free time every day. some days I can play for long, but in cases where work is reaching the peak, I can't even look at my gaming PC.

to OP:

Regarding the dino limit, we worked around it due to some of the tribe breeding and egg dinos and personal dinos exceeded the 500 (we were active 14 players). I bought a 2nd account, and I don't mind buying a 3rd one if I have to. (before anyone's jump on me, No! we don't stack dodos, we have 1 male and 3 females minimum of each dino that lays eggs)

so egg dinos alone can reach 260 easily due to some of them not laying eggs so often, so we tame more than 3 females. add to that breeding dinos (can't tell my tribe to kill their wolves ...etc so I can keep my rexs).

Official servers aren't ment to be your personal save state of the game. If you can't play for 6 months, your structures and dinos should be gone as they will with current demolish timer system. Problem is that the demolish timer is too easy to reset and servers exceed dino and structure limits. That's why a small maintenance duty or fee is required to keep only active players on servers. For example structures decaying 2% of hp each day would still give you about 2 months to repair your base (bases could have repair all option) and for a small base it wouldn't be a big problem, and it would affect only mega bases which are the real problem atm.

Archived