Server upgrade help

Manose

I have been operating a box here at my house and have had a great time meeting new people  here in ark. So now I think it is time to upgrade my dedicated box and want some opinions.

I have been running 2 servers with about 7-10 people on each server with ASM on the following-

i5 4690k ,16gig ddr3 2600mgz, 3 new 500gig samsung 960ssd's,win 8.1

internet is xfinity 25up 200down with rented xfinity router :( 

so now that you see my current servers equipment I want to upgrade so that more people could join and host like 3 servers her is what I was thinking

Ryzen 1700 with 32-64 gigs of ram with the above hard drives

What would you recommend? Also what would be a better router as I now this one is not sufficient?

Any help would be appreciated

Wondering if 120 GB SSDs, one each per server would suffice. Ryzen 1700 looks good, but that 32 gig is minimum for 3 servers imo. Isn't it 6 gig per server on start up? If you have more ram as well, the cpu is less used to compensate, from reading around online. But yeah, you should be good. I would suggest the SSD route.

Some basics:

• The best performance is achieved with power CPU's.
    Your CPU should be able to handle at least 30 concurrent players per server
  • ARK consumes a lot of memory over time. One of our test server is currently using 17GB (hasn't been wiped for a year now)
  • SSD is useful, although the save process is mostly limited by the code itself

If you assume each server requires at least 1 thread per server, you should be able to run 4 servers on your current machine. For optimum performance I would recommend having 2 threads dedicated to each gameserver.

I think your disk is OK for what you're trying to achieve and will not be the bottleneck you should be worried about.

Your current internet should be OK. The upload is what is most important, since your server will be sending out a lot of data to all the players.
Based on my experience so far, and assuming you're not downloading or putting stress on the network in any other form, your connection should suffice for the amount of players you want to serve.

The Ryzen 1700 will actually be a downgrade. ARK depends on GHz and your current CPU seems to have 3.9GHz, compared to the 3 GHz the Ryzen 1700 provides. ARK is not multithreaded!

RAM is your first bottleneck, and I would recommend adding some RAM (taking 8 GB per server into account) and see from there :)

Good luck!

ARK and UE4 games in general is very single threaded server side, so single core performance and IPC (instructions per clock) is very important.

I'd recommend for ARK to go with a 7700k or 7740x (alternatively go with a higher core x299 cpu and overclock) and overclock the hell out of it (stable enough to run 24/7 without any issues under safe voltages)

Don't forget to cool your processor accordingly aswell :)

If that's out of the budget, a 4790k would work aswell (tho it gets very hot very fast) and DDR3 RAM is pretty cheap nowadays.

If you plan to host multiple servers on each machine, 32-64GB RAM is highly recommended.

Thank you guys for the responses as I really think no matter what I do processor wise I will end up with 64gig ram. The real problem is the router as now I have 25upload and 200down but I believe the router needs to be better than what it is now.

It seems the these rented all in one routers from Xfinity are frowned upon as people say they limit the band width, so what would be a good replacement without spending 500dollars on a commercial router.

Wait, wasn't there an update that made the servers use more multi-threading? In the past around 2015, the servers were single core dependent. But then Wildcard overhauled the server side and improved it's capabilities.

Okay checked around, and confirmed it. So you want the single core performance for the world rendering, and the other cores handle players. This is why people say, 2 dedicated cores. Unless there was some kind of change to this.

As a side note, actual server class Intel CPU's are best as they include unique instruction sets that work with UE4 more efficiently.   I am unable to locate the post right now but one of the actual hosting providers provided a detailed post on this.

This is in regards to server hosting, not the client. 

i.e. server CPU's like the E5 series. 

Archived