Stay on legacy servers or move to new servers pvp

SmokeyB

6 minutes ago, arkark said:

Man, instead of doing the common sense thing (cap the dinos, remove duppers from game), they choose to isolate the EA players from the main game, giving a reason that basically call us the EA players offenders. Im not happy with it.

Im sure sooner of later, the reasons they give to split players will also be an issue in the new cluster, and then what? create a new cluster? we will end with tons of clusters

yes. did you read the OP? i wrote this exactly.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of the 'content' is going to be on the new servers.  If people want to have a great time building up and starting anew they will definitely head to the new clusters to do so.  There is nothing appealing about staying on older servers that no one wants to join knowing the issues currently on them.  It is also going to divide the community quite a bit, and as others have stated will likely cause legacy to become stagnant.  

In the end though, the new servers will become just as bad as the old in many ways.  Even if duping is completely stopped, under meshing made impossible, there will always be politics and alphas roaming around wiping new players.

I have not seen a single thing in this thread that's made me come to any sort of conclusion that making Legacy servers and new servers cut off from it was a bad thing. Not a one.

1. The new players now have a safer place to go where they don't have to compete against 2 year vets and their stuff. Sure if a vet wanted to go there and grow then they will probably outgrow the noobs and be top dog quicker, but that is just the unfair nature of ARK pvp, and that fault is on WC and ARK's system, not the servers themselves.

2. Both Legacy and these new servers are going to have equal amount of 'content' so I dunno what some of you are on about...they will be managed and maintained on equal footing as if they were on the same cluster, just not actually in the same cluster. Get the updates same time, DLC's same time, same patches...everything.

3. It will NOT split the community...you can easily go make a character from scratch on the new servers if you feel you want to mingle with the new players,, and visa versa. You as the 2 year vet of Ark will be able to progress far faster than those noobies, which still leaves you as the best person to go to for advice, trades, and the like on the new servers.

So where is the issue again? None? People will complain about anything then huh.

Oh and to answer the OP's topic question, I'm staying on my unofficial server, because official PVP is still an unbalanced crapfest.

42 minutes ago, Ulta said:

I have not seen a single thing in this thread that's made me come to any sort of conclusion that making Legacy servers and new servers cut off from it was a bad thing. Not a one.

1. The new players now have a safer place to go where they don't have to compete against 2 year vets and their stuff. Sure if a vet wanted to go there and grow then they will probably outgrow the noobs and be top dog quicker, but that is just the unfair nature of ARK pvp, and that fault is on WC and ARK's system, not the servers themselves.

2. Both Legacy and these new servers are going to have equal amount of 'content' so I dunno what some of you are on about...they will be managed and maintained on equal footing as if they were on the same cluster, just not actually in the same cluster. Get the updates same time, DLC's same time, same patches...everything.

3. It will NOT split the community...you can easily go make a character from scratch on the new servers if you feel you want to mingle with the new players,, and visa versa. You as the 2 year vet of Ark will be able to progress far faster than those noobies, which still leaves you as the best person to go to for advice, trades, and the like on the new servers.

So where is the issue again? None? People will complain about anything then huh.

Oh and to answer the OP's topic question, I'm staying on my unofficial server, because official PVP is still an unbalanced crapfest.

Don't know why you seem so offended that other people have different opinions then yours.  I still think it will split the community and cause the old servers to die down over time, and I'll probably move to the new ones myself.  We are all allowed to voice our opinions even if you don't agree with them so no need to get defensive.

Legacy servers wont be going anywhere except for low pop. New servers will come out and soon be filled so some will only have the choice to go to a legacy server. The new servers will be populated by the same player base as legacy which means whoever gets to alpha first is the one in charge. Then as the tribes get bored they will make mega tribes on new servers and then you might as well be on a legacy server. 

If you want to play pvp you need to have patience, learn how to make friends and get good. Dont think for a moment new servers are going to make you better at ark. 

The only reasons you have for leaving your server are if it's been a victim of exploiting/duping, you want a new challenge/were pro-wipe or if a lot of people decide to start over on the new servers, leaving you abandoned.

There's no difference between legacy and new servers, other than existing building and population. A person buying the game on August 8th can join whichever they wish. I expect the majority will choose the fresh option (although who knows, I could be wrong) and I also expect that many existing players - especially those that were pro-wipe - will also choose to begin anew on the fresh servers.

The existing servers will only die if the players let them. If you've got an active community now and everyone's enjoying it, why would you move to a new server?

1 hour ago, LastStandman said:

If you aren't an alpha why would you stay on legacy? 90% of the time if you aren't friends with the alpha you get wiped. The other 10% you get wiped from cross server raiders who take you out as an easy target before moving on to attack the alphas.

At least on the new servers, if you get attacked it won't be with 100th generation gigas and tech rexes right off the bat. It'll be by people who are moderately around the same tech level as you.

In my opinion, the alphas can remain the Kings of their empires of dirt. And they can continue trolling the solo players and newbs, like they currently do, all they want without spoiling the new clusters.

Except there's nothing stopping the alpha tribes from making new characters and through strength of numbers, quickly taking over a new server, while remaining steadfast on their old server 

I think the new shiny and fair feel of the release servers will wear off pretty damn quickly and they'll look a whole lot like the old servers before long. Alpha tribes ruling the ark is just how the games built. Its not gonna be any different just because a new batch of servers is being added.

I still think it was a great move from WC though.

4 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Except there's nothing stopping the alpha tribes from making new characters and through strength of numbers, quickly taking over a new server, while remaining steadfast on their old server 

I think the new shiny and fair feel of the release servers will wear off pretty damn quickly and they'll look a whole lot like the old servers before long. Alpha tribes ruling the ark is just how the games built. Its not gonna be any different just because a new batch of servers is being added.

I still think it was a great move from WC though.

Agreed entirely.

I'll be staying on legacy server, and then going to grab the save file when my server is going for the wipe eventually.

reason being: I love my dinos. I love them so much I spent all these time since ark launched pteras feeding them. and I love my tribe. I don't want to give them up for anything. I'll also consider hosting them online somewhere. since my tribe only exist on the island server it's very easy for me to do this.

1 hour ago, LastStandman said:

If you aren't an alpha why would you stay on legacy? 90% of the time if you aren't friends with the alpha you get wiped. The other 10% you get wiped from cross server raiders who take you out as an easy target before moving on to attack the alphas.

At least on the new servers, if you get attacked it won't be with 100th generation gigas and tech rexes right off the bat. It'll be by people who are moderately around the same tech level as you.

In my opinion, the alphas can remain the Kings of their empires of dirt. And they can continue trolling the solo players and newbs, like they currently do, all they want without spoiling the new clusters.

People dont survive because they dont think before they build. They build on beaches and talk talk talk in chat. Instead they need to lay low and hide not only their presence but stuff to rebuild. They get hit and they cry, oh how they cry. I started pvp alone because none of my pve friends wanted to play pvp. I got wiped so many times. Now i play on 6 servers and have friends on 4 more. I have dinos spread all over them all in case i need to start over. And every day i log on and wait to see if i got hit. Im not alpha or mega. Hell, im only beta on one server but i enjoy playing. You have to enjoy the struggle or this is not for you. If you only want to build and raise dinos then pve is where you need to be. But dont cry because you arent good enough, or because you dont have the patience to try 30 servers before you find the right one. Its the way it is, crying on forums about the mean alphas wont change that. What will change it for new people trying to get a hold on a server is persistence, patience, stealth and acceptance that this is what the game is and the desire to beat the system.

I raise a variety of dinos on 3 servers currently cant put all your dino eggs in one basket. And you might not be crying but others are, it doesnt help anyone for people to just come here and rage or have their frustrations validated by others who cannot succeed. This is the way the game is, it is the way things will always be. Because the dirt that you say are legacy servers will eventually happen to new servers.

I think moving to the new server is the way to go since I agree that the legacy servers will die over time.

I am afraid however people are going to be very disappointed.

3 hours ago, LastStandman said:

Large Alpha tribes will form and take over the new servers within weeks if not days.

It only makes sense to create a new server cluster.  Who in their right mind would pay $60 for a game then join an existing server where everyone else got a huge head start in creating a massive impenetrable base where you have no chance? Whether those people come to your new cluster or not is irrelevant you are still on equal footing in regards to starting on a beach at level 1 with no option of people bringing over all their high level dino's and gear they have spent the last year or so accumulating.

New players will not go to a server that is already populated where they are behind in progression an storyline.Thats not apealing to them an never will be.The only way new players will go to Legacy servers is if they have friends already settup on said server.Now think about this for a minute,let that sink in.Why would a new player want to go play on a pvp server that is already been online for over a year? why would a new player go to a server that already has builds all over the place? Most new players will already have a spot in mind to go build on befor they create a character.Most new players know what map they are going to start on and have a plan.Remember at launch we are all going to be new players.Even if you are on Legacy Servers.

I love the feel of a fresh new server. Every single official you log on now, guaranteed you'll see someone on a wyvern in the first 10 minutes, or get blasted outta the sky on your first bird cause you didn't see the 600 turrets in that mountain until it was too late. Alphas have 100000 rexgigagolemwyvernasaurs on every server, tough to compete. New servers will of course end up the same in time but the journey to that point is what's so much fun!

10 minutes ago, Twiztyd said:

I love the feel of a fresh new server. Every single official you log on now, guaranteed you'll see someone on a wyvern in the first 10 minutes, or get blasted outta the sky on your first bird cause you didn't see the 600 turrets in that mountain until it was too late. Alphas have 100000 rexgigagolemwyvernasaurs on every server, tough to compete. New servers will of course end up the same in time but the journey to that point is what's so much fun!

You still won't be able to compete,  them massive bases and 100000 dinos will be back in one week,  when the centre came out we had 3 Gigas in the first 2 days before we could even make saddles. The new servers won't be a peaceful place for noobs to build,  they will be patrolled by alphas trying to keep their new home clean of people they don't know,  you will be raided and caged by alphas. But also you forget the trolls,  new players can't build up now as it is because the trolls wipe them before the alphas even notice them,  new servers is gonna be such a troll fest no one will be able to build but the large alpha tribes. Remeber when scorched came out?  

7 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

You still won't be able to compete,  them massive bases and 100000 dinos will be back in one week,  when the centre came out we had 3 Gigas in the first 2 days before we could even make saddles. The new servers won't be a peaceful place for noobs to build,  they will be patrolled by alphas trying to keep their new home clean of people they don't know,  you will be raided and caged by alphas. But also you forget the trolls,  new players can't build up now as it is because the trolls wipe them before the alphas even notice them,  new servers is gonna be such a troll fest no one will be able to build but the large alpha tribes. Remeber when scorched came out?  

I agree it's going to be a fun time, I look forward to it and listening to the cries and the posts on the forums that will follow.

12 hours ago, DeningWei said:

As long as legacy servers are an easy to get option for joining then they will be fine.  I have friends and family that are yet to buy the game waiting for release that will want to join legacy servers.

They should have bought the game earlier while the price was low or have they already bought it?

While they are going to attempt a fix for the duping issue all together, what I see is that the market is already flooded with tek structures to the point that they're passed around like water.  I would love to see a retro-fix, like they did with duped dinos/eggs, where already duped items are dealt with immediately.  The health of the "ark tek economy" may affect if we stay on legacy servers.

Archived