PC to Console server hosting

thejoker00

Hi there Ark friends. I'm currently hosting a PS4 player dedi server for Ark, obviously by using a second PS4 which I managed to pick up off ebay broken and repair. Due to the most recent announcement from Jat on Twitter regarding PC server hosting for consoles I'm wondering something that I'm sure you lovely people could solve in a flash for me.

To host on PC to console, would I need to buy a PC copy of Ark? Also how would I invite people to join via the PC server if they're on PS4? 

Thanks for reading and taking the time to reply.

• Wildcard Community

To host a server on PC for consoles, it is managed all through Nitrado. You purchase one of their packages and they will set it up with default settings. You can then customize them through their UI. You will not need to buy additional copies of the game for this. The server should appear in the unofficial list just as our official nitrado servers appear in the official list. Players can search for the server the same way they would for an official server. You can also password protect the server just like any other server to restrict access.

4 minutes ago, thejoker00 said:

Thanks for the replies guys!

So I can't host on my own desktop PC to PS4 console players? I'd have to buy a monthly package from Nitrado?

No you just have to buy one of their service packages, hosting via personal pc to console will only be possible via Xbox live crossplay which will be announced at a later date 

@lilpanda will we be able to restrict who plays on the servers we're paying for?  Right now, at least on Xbox, anyone can join a server due to the ability for someone else to join via a friend.  So I can limit it somewhat but not totally control who can play on a dedicated server that I own and pay for.  At least the current version of the dedicated server setup on Xbox.

19 minutes ago, Shawnb86 said:

Does anybody have a general idea how much it will cost

It would probably be the same rates as any hosting service currently out there. A quick google search can answer this, but it will depend on how many 'slots' you want the server to have probably and also through which host (example, I bought a server for a year at 30 slots for a little over $200, but next years cycle I'm only having 10, dropping it to about $120).

Might wanna look up Nitrado's hosting since they are the only ones to host first, though Jat said other services will pop up later.

56 minutes ago, Shawnb86 said:

Does anybody have a general idea how much it will cost

For me in UK, it's £36 a month for 50 slots. So about 3 months worth would come to the same cost as buying a second hand console.

30 minutes ago, Chunk1664 said:

Can you transfer your existing save from officials to private dedicated?  We have about 7 tribes that would like to play on a private hosted server but would like to take their dinos, characters and locations 

No can do. As far as I'm aware, official and offline are 2 totally different things so they won't be transferable. 

44 minutes ago, pkerjock said:

For me in UK, it's £36 a month for 50 slots. So about 3 months worth would come to the same cost as buying a second hand console.

No can do. As far as I'm aware, official and offline are 2 totally different things so they won't be transferable. 

We all play on official server and are thinking of transferring to a private dedicated, but would like to take our dinos, items and base locations

2 minutes ago, Rickyh24 said:

I'm guessing you need to rent 4 separate servers if you want to map hop right? This looks like it could get pretty pricey if that's the case. 

correct

unless you wanted to do it the same way you would with a single dedicated xbox today, and have everyone upload then switch maps, and then download

I don't see any reason why a rented server couldn't do the same

at a minimum price of £8,84 per month for 10 people seems reasonable providing the server runs smooth and with minimal lag. I will keep an eye on it as using an xbox dedi in my base with all tames and ppl on server I get a ping of around 20 to 30.

The major deciding factor would be whether or not we could port our current xbox private dedi saves to the pc host.

2 hours ago, Ulta said:

It would probably be the same rates as any hosting service currently out there. A quick google search can answer this, but it will depend on how many 'slots' you want the server to have probably and also through which host (example, I bought a server for a year at 30 slots for a little over $200, but next years cycle I'm only having 10, dropping it to about $120).

Might wanna look up Nitrado's hosting since they are the only ones to host first, though Jat said other services will pop up later.

Well this is exciting.  And here I am with my new-to-me used PS4 trying to host a small dedicated server for my family.  Sorta wish i knew this was coming so soon a week ago.  I'd much rather pay for a server rental than host the game on my back-woods dodgy internet.

Can I ask an ignorant question?  What are the slots for.  Does each slot represent a player?

4 minutes ago, Shadow9cat said:

Well this is exciting.  And here I am with my new-to-me used PS4 trying to host a small dedicated server for my family.  Sorta wish i knew this was coming so soon a week ago.  I'd much rather pay for a server rental than host the game on my back-woods dodgy internet.

Can I ask an ignorant question?  What are the slots for.  Does each slot represent a player?

Slots means the amount of players that can't log in at a time. I was just playing with prices. 20.15 a month to run a server for 20 slots. 

Double, triple, or quadruple that if you want to host a cluster. 

6 minutes ago, Shadow9cat said:

Each person uses a slot yes, minimun slots for ark is 10.

Archived