ARK: State of the Game

Jatheish

35 minutes ago, Jat said:

There was an internal push for PvE servers to also go legacy, prior to making this announcement.

So @Jat is this a hard date for Aug. 8th for Ragnarok to be released on console don't want to make plans for it again only to be let down by another delay. I love that you are trying hard to keep us informed on current events just thought I would pose this question to ya.

1 minute ago, MrTarkanian48 said:

Any decisions on the future of the "Experimental No Tame Servers"?

I have been playing this exclusively on PS4.

Will these still remain as Legacy servers and no longer be considered experimental?

Will there be a new No Tame cluster?

Will one or both include Ragnarok?

There isn't any news on any of the extra stuff yet. He said when they make a decision they will announce it :) 

"We ultimately decided that we would not wipe and we would rather pay the cost to launch an additional newPvP and PvE Server Cluster network (alongside but separate from the current PvP and PvE Legacy Cluster), where players will get to have a fresh experience on the ARK; across all four maps with no influence from any of the previous servers. At that time we'll be rolling out the new server code and infrastructure necessary to prevent critical issues such as server crashing exploits, duping, and DDoSing, so they will not affect the batch of new servers (as well as the legacy ones, going forward"

Am I reading this right? The DDOS and duping fixes arent coming until release when WC launches the new servers?

Edited by St1ckyBandit

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, haribo22060 said:

@Jat Once PC based console servers come, will we be able to still host our player dedicated server from a second Xbox console like before or no?

Yes you'll still be able to do this.

3 minutes ago, Bulldogfrag said:

So @Jat is this a hard date for Aug. 8th for Ragnarok to be released on console don't want to make plans for it again only to be let down by another delay. I love that you are trying hard to keep us informed on current events just thought I would pose this question to ya.

We will meet it barring any catastrophe (key members of the team get sick.... etc), hopefully I haven't jinxed it. 

1 minute ago, St1ckyBandit said:

"We ultimately decided that we would not wipe and we would rather pay the cost to launch an additional newPvP and PvE Server Cluster network (alongside but separate from the current PvP and PvE Legacy Cluster), where players will get to have a fresh experience on the ARK; across all four maps with no influence from any of the previous servers. At that time we'll be rolling out the new server code and infrastructure necessary to prevent critical issues such as server crashing exploits, duping, and DDoSing, so they will not affect the batch of new servers (as well as the legacy ones, going forward"

Am I reading this right? The DDOS and duping fixes arent coming until release when WC launches the new servers?

No it's all happening in the present, there will be working being done constantly - this was just to clear up any concerns about the servers.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, Titus said:

Because its the future of ark get in early tame some 150's breed like mad until you get some mutations bam your in bizz. Nobody seems to be looking past the release date. 

So do all that just to be in the same place (still behind actually) where the established traders are?

3 minutes ago, Jat said:

Yes you'll still be able to do this.

We will meet it barring any catastrophe (key members of the team get sick.... etc), hopefully I haven't jinxed it. 

No it's all happening in the present, there will be working being done constantly - this was just to clear up any concerns about the servers.

Awesome. Hopefully you guys can fix it very soon. Would love to go back to enjoying the game without having to look over my shoulder for the inevitable dupe crash.

Anyway thanks for the update. Fingers crossed the ps4 patch comes friday

28 minutes ago, Titus said:

PvE is going to go where the trade market is. Toxic or not there is going to be a drop in population for the better servers (that is a give in) If the noobs go to the new servers and they will unless they are insane the breeders will follow because there will be no market to sell/trade dinos to. Legacy PvE is a nonstarter its doomed out of the gate. I seen a huge drop in population in the last two week from no double xp weekends fresh servers nail in the coffin. I am just trying to be realistic here 

24 minutes ago, Musketeer said:

I agree with this.. Sadly there is no future for Legacy servers.

I appreciate the devs don't wipe on release, but our servers are doomed and have no future and that's not a nice feeling.

Interesting that on all of the "If they wipe PvE, I quit" threads no one ever talked about the trade market.  It was all about how many hours they had building up and taming and breeding because they thought it was safe.  People that have this investment is what will keep legacy servers fine.  You two are making mountains out of mole hills IMO.  If your server is that inactive, then maybe start looking for a new one.  The few that I play on are all pretty active with average between 8-30 people on at any given time and according to what was said that is outside of the close to zero activity level. Be pessimists if you need to be, but I am optimistic that there will be no impact on my servers.

edit: If I were a trader, then maybe I would share your concern.  The market on legacy may dry up. I'm not a trader, I don't mind trading for things, but it doesn't matter to my play style on PvE.

Edited by SumDuud
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Musketeer said:

What you say makes no sense. Could you elaborate what you were trying to say?

Our server is good, people are nice and helpful... no this pillar nonsense like on Ragnarok we have.

New players won't come because being on new server is safe, on legacy servers there is a risk of them being wiped if not populated. If I was a new player I would go to the server without that risk.

I was trying to say that I think the servers that are pillared and hostile to new players will slowly decline in population and eventually be re-purposed. Those that are new player friendly should continue same as before.

Hard to predict at this point, but I think a healthy server like yours should continue. Nothing is forever of course. I think if you promote it to your friends and advertise a bit where you can, it should continue for a year or two.

I personally like to start fresh on a server every few months. I play on unofficial, since most people that host a server start it over fresh every few months. Works for me. People like me might go to the non-legacy, but are likely to quit playing it in a few months. You don't want those type of players (if I understand what you are saying) anyway.

• Thanks 1

@Jat Really grinds my gears how people are asking questions that are answered in this post..

No you will not be able to transfer from legacy to new servers.

Yes the legacy servers will be treated the same as new servers. THEY'LL STAY UPDATED.

On a side note: I really hope you guys address some of the major bugs that are still causing disconnections. Like when I log on everyday since last patch my quetzal platform is disconnected from the building it supports. This causes the server to freak out and kick me off. I'll keep disconnecting till it finally loads in properly.

Another example of bug is when I spawn in my base is elevated on pillars. My 2 thylos will always be on the ground below. When you go to try and ride it the game registers them as above still and even has their invisible character blocking movement above. Only way to fix this is to whistle the thylo to you and they will teleport back on top of the base then run to you.

Also, I'd love to see a fix to the rock elemental/wyvern kiting on PVE servers. I already know if a person invests $60 to buy this game. Plays 20 hours on scorched then gets kited by a rock golem for LOL's there's going to be a lot more buzz than their already is when it comes to this topic. Yesterday, my tribe mate lost his 167 Poison Wyvern, 2 Argys, and Jerboas because somebody decided it'd be funny to kite a Rock Elemental to his base.

2 hours ago, Jat said:

I have updated the announcement to include an important change. There will be a new PvE Cluster on Launch, and the current set of PvE servers will become Legacy, similar to changes for PvP.

Will there be any plans on allowing cross-server interaction with the legacy servers on pve? Perhaps cross server trade unlocked after a few months for PVE? Right now I'm envisioning the trading nightmare the forums are going to get and the confusion that this comes with since pve (*almost*, not quite but we're close) exclusively uses the trade forums.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

So do all that just to be in the same place (still behind actually) where the established traders are?

Listen friend would you rather invest your game time on a map with an unknown expiration date or use your game time to play with some security and confidence in the future of your server? I don't know about you but from here out I feel like an hr played on "legacy" will be an hr wasted starting over on the new servers. To me if I do continue to play its a clear cut choice to jump ship and I am a tek tier pve and pvp player. I don't like it but I'm looking with some vision and being realistic with my gaming time

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Cataclisto said:

Will there be any plans on allowing cross-server interaction with the legacy servers on pve? Perhaps cross server trade unlocked after a few months for PVE? Right now I'm envisioning the trading nightmare the forums are going to get and the confusion that this comes with since pve (*almost*, not quite but we're close) exclusively uses the trade forums.

Edited by Joebl0w13

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Titus said:

Listen friend would you rather invest your game time on a map with an unknown expiration date or use your game time to play with some security and confidence in the future of your server?

Any and all servers are always at risk of becoming low pop and getting wiped. 

New and old, there has always been a risk of people abandoning a server. Nothing has changed.

• Thanks 1