Alphas everywhere!

Jay89

21 hours ago, GP said:

In PC Patch v261 it included this:

- Increased chance for an alpha to spawn (in multiplayer only) by 2x.

Console should have that now, so maybe this is why.

I can pretty much call BS on this, as Alpha rates are nuts. I've seen upwards of four alpha raptors flanking the rivers to the west and east of LS Cave, which borders the "easy" areas. On day 1, spawn 1, new world, local game. They were right back after a 'destroywilddinos' command.

From a single-player perspective, this is on top of the already insane rates of aggressive high tier spawns the moment you pull more than a quarter mile off the south shores. You'll be dead by troodons, raptor packs (unlike the old lone spawns), carnos, murder turkeys/chalico's, and even mated Rex pairs chasing prey as far as the southern beaver dams, with a pack of Allos on the horizon from the  working their way south.

Start fresh on the south shore and you'll find nothing that can break through to other regions, much less come back alive. Counting four alpha raptors on Day 1, spawn 1 is not a great 'fresh game experience', nor is respawning on top of a wild sarco. I'm hardly new to the game too, with 900 hours plugged into it, and getting off the ground is tough when you can't get out of the teeth.

With ~ level 50 being my local wild level cap, I did get together a crack squad of level 70-80 raptors after a while, which took down a level 11 alpha raptor, but the L35 alpha pretty much annihilated the entire pack and sent me walking back with nothing in hand but rapidly spoiling meat and six saddles. NOTHING survives the death march to the swamp, much less the death-march through the swamp, or the death-march to anywhere else, for that matter.

41 minutes ago, GP said:

That's insane! O.o

Frozen Tooth spawns in at least 4 Araptors, 3 Acarnos, 3 Atrexs, and just behind Frozen tooth in the tundra no less than 3 Titans in 3 hours.

if I was taming Allos I'd be laughing all the way to the bank but I don't even get a chance to get the rifle out because I'm instantly swarmed by Tony and his rat pack.

loving the XP to the Giga and myself but I barely spend any time below hip height on the Giga due to the ocean of teeth, is this supposed to be the new dynamic?

Sounds like a lovely change to me. We needed more danger out in the fields. It was too safe.

New players will just have to start learning a new strat, which is build in the safe lands and then when you got a formidable army, you must make an epic journey with your pack to the new area you wanna build. The way won't be easy if you don't come prepared. Course this is probably a nicer change for PVE (for once), since all a bunch of alpha's will do in PVP is benefit the already established tribes and make it harder for the new players if they don't play smart quick and build in a nice place where alpha's can't reach them.

I don't like the change. It is ok for rex and carno. But for raptor is way to many alphas. It's now realy hard for new players to tame raptors, because they are rarly not alphas and if not there is at least one alpha in the pack. Since the raptors role is the first combat and mobility tame for new players, it's not a good change.

3 minutes ago, Thorium said:

I am don't like the change. It is ok for rex and carno. But for raptor is way to many alphas. It's now realy hard for new players to tame raptors, because they are rarly not alphas and if not there is at least one alpha in the pack. Since the raptors role is the first combat and mobility tame for new players, it's not a good change.

then tame a horse? powerful, fast and much better early game :) I actually never tamed a raptor except for kibble, it can't carry enough weight for me lol 

4 hours ago, Ulta said:

Sounds like a lovely change to me. We needed more danger out in the fields. It was too safe.

New players will just have to start learning a new strat, which is build in the safe lands and then when you got a formidable army, you must make an epic journey with your pack to the new area you wanna build. The way won't be easy if you don't come prepared. Course this is probably a nicer change for PVE (for once), since all a bunch of alpha's will do in PVP is benefit the already established tribes and make it harder for the new players if they don't play smart quick and build in a nice place where alpha's can't reach them.

Indeed. Please don't change this, Wildcard. Or better yet give us single player options to increase the percentage of Alphas even further. I periodically summon alphas in certain areas on the map to give me an extra challenge in single player.

In single player there needs to be a lot of alpha predators because the regular ones often get destroyed when they go on killing sprees (especially when they target a pack of stegos), leaving a map filled with boring herbivores. On The Center I just observed a T-Rex take on two brontos and three stegos all by himself. A death wish. Alternatively, large carnivores could be programmed to heal first before taking on another herbivore. That's what gets them killed so easily -- Never waiting to heal.

12 hours ago, Mirovan said:

I don't know why everyone is crying about alphas. They are nice lvlups for dinos :D I love them. Neeeed mooooore :)

I don't know who's crying about it. This seems like an alpha lovefest to me. I am really liking the added danger myself although why just rely on alphas to add to it? Why not just boost wild stats for everything instead of just wild gigas? I don't mean make them all imposing but at least prevent them from going down like broken elevators without brakes.

On 20/07/2017 at 11:14 AM, Ulta said:

Totally agree

On 20-7-2017 at 4:04 PM, ammonitida said:

In single player there needs to be a lot of alpha predators because the regular ones often get destroyed when they go on killing sprees (especially when they target a pack of stegos), leaving a map filled with boring herbivores. On The Center I just observed a T-Rex take on two brontos and three stegos all by himself. A death wish. Alternatively, large carnivores could be programmed to heal first before taking on another herbivore. That's what gets them killed so easily -- Never waiting to heal.

I've witnessed a level 4 alpha raptor take on big creatures. It took out 3 of my l40 argy's , a l30 baryonyx, a l40 beelzebufo and it killed me twice while wearing chitin armor. I think that raptor eventually despawned.

Currently I am seeing a lot of alpha megalodon attacks. My l30+ tame losses are minimal fortunately. Probably need to fetch me some more baryonyx for the water. The alpha megalodons are about l2 to 4 and are not as bad as the alpha raptor.

Alpha rexes and carnos are too slow to be dangerous.

38 minutes ago, DirtyCamper said:

I've witnessed a level 4 alpha raptor take on big creatures. It took out 3 of my l40 argy's , a l30 baryonyx, a l40 beelzebufo and it killed me twice while wearing chitin armor. I think that raptor eventually despawned.

Currently I am seeing a lot of alpha megalodon attacks. My l30+ tame losses are minimal fortunately. Probably need to fetch me some more baryonyx for the water. The alpha megalodons are about l2 to 4 and are not as bad as the alpha raptor.

Alpha rexes and carnos are too slow to be dangerous.

I had a Alpha Rex spawn on me whilst wandering through the river banks on Island, literally a red mist with teeth and tail

they are anything but slow, kept up with my giga as I was walking away without realising it was chasing

I have noticed however, that the spawns are dwindling, still getting plenty of titans everywhere, literally every hour we have 3-4 titans spawn in

Every time I kill one alpha, there's two more. I literally am making a cliffside sniping point into a fully fledged base just to manufacture more ammunition and repair rifles for barrel-shooting the alphas.

Just in the delta north of the south beaver spawn, I've had to kill six alpha raptors, which was a headache. Now I'm trying to clean out three alpha rexes, and at least two more alpha raptors.  I've been trying to tame a frog all weekend, but I've done nothing but manufacture ammo to wear down this wall of alphas ALL weekend.

On 20/7/2017 at 3:07 PM, Sokkpuppet said:

More alpha deathworms and wyverns spawning also?

I've not seen any Alpha Deathworms in my entire SE life, and I've played it for more than 100 hours, tho I've noticed the Alpha Wyvern spawns, now there can be 2 or even 3 at the same time.

Btw, if you go underwater, there's the chance that more Alpha Mosas spawn than normal Mosas, on my server there were like 4 Alpha Mosas and (that I've seen) 1 Mosa.

Archived