Is ARK worthy of a AAA title?!?

o0oNightmareo0o

I would say its a AA game which is a good thing IMO. AAA games have a bad rep nowadays with micro-transitions and a poor quality experience. Arks not perfect but to be AAA you gotta have that extra bit of polish. I still have a hard time reading the text and seeing the pictures of items and that damn bloom is everywhere. On top of that AAA games as I'm aware dissuade cheating but with Ark they handed us out codes which on xbox atleast iv only seen with the LEGO games and do you think they are AAA games? Ark can swim in the same waters as AAA but it hatched out of the indy scene and i think its stuck as that.

There's some parts of the game which are AAA, like landscape graphics, water animation (rivers, water falls, fishes), island generator, survivor animations, sounds and music, some dino design, tribe management, engrams system, gameplay possibilities (surviving, hunting, constructing, breeding). 
But there's others part which are not AAA, like global fog (that make underwater and high altitude fog), dinos stuck in the decor, dino "real" IA missing, lack of dino natural behavior, some unbalanced parts (queen bee taming is damn hard to get vegetable cake, to get snail), construction mode (still damn hard to place an inclined roof, constructions limited to square stuff), players abuses (pillars abuse, pvp rush abuse), and some other points. 
I don't know how the release will be criticized by the press, maybe they will be mitigated, but anyway when we start to play ark, even with its imperfections, we never stop, and that's the best point.  

27 minutes ago, o0oNightmareo0o said:

Just curious what the community would label this as...  do you think Ark is a true AAA title in your opinion?!?

Ark Is the best game ever made,  it has so much content and replay value it's Un real, ark belongs with games like final fantasy seven or halo 3,  truly the cream of the crop of games. 

You want to talk about games that don't deserve AAA then talk about the Division, and other games that were all hype and false advertising and then didn't offer 10 hours of game play for 60£.

Ark is life 

3 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

Ark Is the best game ever made,  it has so much content and replay value it's Un real, ark belongs with games like final fantasy seven or halo 3,  truly the cream of the crop of games. 

You want to talk about games that don't deserve AAA then talk about the Division, and other games that were all hype and false advertising and then didn't offer 10 hours of game play for 60£.

Ark is life 

Your life must constantly crash and roll back 

I am on the fence in my own humble opinion of if this is a true AAA title. Given there is really no comparison to what this games has to offer out there right now. I lean towards it is worthy of the title AAA, because it is so unique. Really the only dino game on the market right now like it. It is hard to say until the final release obviously. If they would fix eggs, thylas, griffins from falling through floors, dinos heads clipping preventing movement (most annoying thing in ark to me), I would give it a AAA title. I really do believe this game can go the distance as the source code gets polished and streamlined and optimization happens. Getting on board with the AAA market. In it's current state I am on the fence tipping towards giving it the thumbs up of a AAA title. I have gotten really addicted to this game, easily can say it is one of my favorites if not favorite to play. It is so brutal and savage at times, but then so rewarding at others. 

Oh heck yeah it is.

If none of you ever heard of this game/played in Early Access and came across this after release date you would jump ALL OVER IT !!!!

You would be thinking OMG how did I miss this before now?

I sure wish I was involved in the Open or Closed Beta of the game...........

Even with the knowledge of all the changes to the title through out its two years of development we have had the privilege to be part of. It is HANDS DOWN, the most intricate, hardcore, full depth content, additional content, multifaceted, AAA game that has not been released, to come along in a very very long time.

Not to mention we still have not seen everything the game offers. Ascension Caves/Boss Wars and the other planned content we do not know about.

I am glad I was able to get this at the Early release/Preview stage for what I paid, I would still buy it for the full retail if I had to.

I love Ark, given the time put in as an adult (very limited time for games or hobbies in general), it has to be my favorite game of all time. However unless they pull off a miracle in the next month, definitely not an AAA title. If it had another year or so of refinement, improvement, and polish then maybe.

The scope of the game is what's truly amazing. While I don't think Ark is an AAA title on launch, I think it will come to lead the survival genre. My prediction is a poor critical reception at release with notes of promise, then update reviews 6 months to a year from now (probably tied to DLC) singing Ark's praises. Still, I don't think it's fair to give someone that AAA if they push out a game that still has a lot of issues, and I don't believe at all that it will be cleaned up in the next month.

At the same time, the survival genre isn't like an FPS, RPG, RTS, etc. There are others out there, but WC is helping figure out how these kind of games need to work, there's no set formula for success yet. Ark even in it's current EA state is a tremendous achievement in my book, but AAA no it is not.

IMO, certainly... but it can depend on its gameplay. Agree there are tons of bugs, but that never stopped any AAA title. Hell, Bethesda is famous for the mess of code they always release. It has become almost charming. 

Not that it is apples to apples. Ark is has a primary focus for multiplayer(coop and/or pvp) and investment toward reward (building/tames) which translate to a greater aggravation toward glitch/bug related 'loses' of that time investment.

So... as a singleplayer experience... oh, yes. AAA all the way... and right up there with the classics.

As a coop-op multiplayer AAA title that leads with Official Servers... it is not ready for prime time and will piss off the non-early access folk who WILL lose their investment with those instabilities and lack of grief management. 

Note: regarding unofficial servers as an alternative... Yes, odds are you will not suffer the same pains from official server... but, your time investments will be vulnerable to the inevitable end of the server life. When the owner decides he is done supporting the community he is hosting... all is lost.

Overall: B-, Its not a consumers AAA title yet, they still have the potential to reach this though, but current actions, events, and other things have made this drop.

Playability Value: C
Value for price: C
(Its the most expensive survival game to exist right now based on what it has)
Immersion value (the desire to play it): AAA+
(it is a top 10 game on steam for exactly this reason)
Overall Quality: C-
(its content is too good/detailed/demanding for the average gamers computer)
Highend Quality: AAA
(the people who can afford $1000 video cards)
Content Amount: AA
(ark defiantly has this going for them, 2 years worth of new content)
Endgame Storyline: D
(its not done yet)
Customer support: F
(not enough people available if something goes wrong, generic responses, "weeks" response time)
Customer interactivity: B
(informing players about content, adding suggestions, replying to all suggestions on all social media available for game) (ark doesn't do that last part, great suggestions get ignored and fall into the abyss on these forums, why? cause not enough of the playerbase is here to comment or sees them.) I give them a higher grade cause they atleast did Q@A sessions, at least until recently. And jat/jen/jeremy do a great job on twitter.
Ingame Customer relations: D
(this is something most devs don't do, cryptic, the devs of startrek online, used to do this before the company was bought out (sto still do it a little by orginizing events on reddit), this is going into the different areas(servers) and hanging out with the community in chat or ingame, maybe playing with them on a random server for a week, or hangout during a event or scheduling events with devs) Not failing them, frank interacts showing the center changes on twitch and he did have that server. He saved arks overall score here :P
Customer production guidance: D
(this is sorta new, runescape established this when they made the community vote/approve new content or changes, I don't give them a failing grade, they did change the eels recently...)
Reliability: D
(the chances something ingame goes wrong that shouldn't, it happens too much now)
Sensibility: C-
(the requirements imposed by the game to accomplish something, tek/breeding tossed this out the window)
Website utilization: C
(ark doesn't use this website to its full potential, They need to bring more of the community to here and give people a reason to use it more)
Website usability: B+
(Its actually pretty good, I've seen other sites taken over by spam and combated it myself too in the past many years ago, they keep it in good shape here)
Community dedication: B
(people have stuck with this game for awhile)
Community Attitude: C
(too many negative things the community brings to light, causing more of the community to slowly turn negative when things happen, reddit tops the list here most of the time)

Now on a Tripple A title indirectly means:
A lot of time. --- Yes
A lot of resources. --- Yes
A lot of money. --- Yes

Ark has reached this already and can technically be considered a aaa game, but the playerbase to consider it one? not so much "yet"
Now for the people that disagree with me, have some salt, these are just my views on the game and its aspects, some of you may have varying opinions on some parts.

absolutely. Even with the bugs its an amazing experience. Maybe not so much now because the "new" feeling is gone for a lot of players. People need to understand they got it for like $20 as EARLY ACCESS. Worth the money for sure and hell of a lot better than most cash-grab, micro transaction "AAA" games.

With a game being as big as it is of course you're going to have a bunch of crybaby haters that just jump on the hate train because apparently in gaming community its cool to hate just to hate.

Ark is the best game out on the market at the moment and will be for a considerable time, despite all of its bugs and flaws which I believe will be dealt with when the time is right it is still hands down the best game I have ever played, it offers everything a gamer could want, it transcends multiple genres of gaming and for the £50 I have payed over the course of the game I have had countless hours of fun.  I have paid £100's for collectors editions of games that have been hyped up by the big companies and played them for a minimal time before being bored, rarely has a game kept me as enthralled as ark has, and never has a game made me feel something for the pixels behind the screen nor almost brought me to tears like ark has done.

The only thing that ruins the game for me at times is the minority of the community who rant and rage when things don't quite go their way, as if paying for Early Access to this game has automatically granted them a seat at the directors table at WC, sometimes its hilarious, sometimes its damn right piss boiling, and yes sometimes I have even been annoyed at the decisions made by the dev team, but I have always kept faith and always will that the game will reach its full potential and give me many many more hours of fun and anger xD

Keep up the good work WC <3 

This is said from my point of view. Not even trying to read other people's mind:

If we compare state of Ark with ordinary AAA game at launch, then Ark definetely deserves AAA price. Just to name some titles I had much worse exp with despite being fan of series: Rome 2: TW; Battlefield 3 & 4. I heard about several other launch failures (e.g. Watchdogs, NMS and For Honor), but I haven't personal experience with them whether missing them completely, or not buying after beta phase.

Regarding system reqs:

Before upgrade I wasn't able to play Dark Souls 3 at all, even on lowest with potato resolution. Had to refound it and rebuy later. But at the same time I was able to play ark at decent 40+fps at 1080p. With pretty low settings for sure, but it still played fine.

I must add that I don't play official much, so IDK if constant lagging, rollbacks, duping and server crashing I read about is a huge thing.

52 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Yes, ARK is totally AAA. It ticks all the boxes:
- Overpriced;
- Very buggy at launch;
- Unoptimized;
- Have to run a private server if you want to avoid cheaters;

Exactly how I envision AAA.... I never understood the difference between AAA and a good game.

Usually AAA titles are just AAA because the PR budget >> development budget. 

You might want to degenerate Ark by calling it AAA, but with all its opaq waters, black rain, lsd dust clouds and black cloud caves, I still love it

Anyway: ark would be AAA not because PR budget >> development budget, but because they have 5M players already.

its an amazing game. however in its current state no. a AAA game doesnt have this many bugs and ruff edges. Its part of what you get with a AA title. once they fix the game its self...then definitely however I think there only doing the official launch to hopefully attract newer people and to make more money so that they can have a better income which in return would make a more stable game.

Archived