$60 for Ark? Will it be worth it?

Jtmorris

I would not pay the 60$ for it i got it from a steam sale if it was not for sale i would have never bought it.

Design is good the dino models are good but the game it self does not add much for me mostly farming meat to feed my dino's and some good people on the server. 

There are no missions or any quests only thing to do is breeding for the bosses and taming, do not see the price - content range apart from the good dino & environment models.

So in my opinion they need to add more 'content' to keep the player entertaint for that price not only new dino's (breeding and taming whole time is not really entertaining after a year). (even for single player )

Again this is what i think you do not need to agree with it yust answering the the question on the title

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only the angry kids think Ark is "extremely buggy" and not worth 60$. Somehow, they think they can influence the games development and price through exaggeration. I have bought ark for PC and Xbox - I had to buy another SSD drive just for Ark(the requirements still say Ark only needs 40gigs... LOL ...). I probably wouldn't have bought a GTX1080 if not for Ark. I have paid more than 60$ for many games which I enjoyed, but not nearly as much as Ark. I hope there'll be another paid DLC. Scorched Earth was amazing. I threw down my $25 for that the minute it came out.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Mctoozle said:

Only the angry kids think Ark is "extremely buggy" and not worth 60$. Somehow, they think they can influence the games development and price through exaggeration. I have bought ark for PC and Xbox - I had to buy another SSD drive just for Ark(the requirements still say Ark only needs 40gigs... LOL ...). I probably wouldn't have bought a GTX1080 if not for Ark. I have paid more than 60$ for many games which I enjoyed, but not nearly as much as Ark. I hope there'll be another paid DLC. Scorched Earth was amazing. I threw down my $25 for that the minute it came out.

We've already announced we are releasing another huge expansion this year and then another one next year :) 

Currently, no. I played on officials for a long time and was crippled by lag, dc issues, and the insanely long tame times. After quite a few friends left the game I decided to play sp. The lack of story, snap point issues, no beacon drops, no dinos respawning, lack of narrative, incredibly repetitive non-stop tame/breed cycle. I know a lot of these issues are being addressed. Hopefully by the time this game is released it will be worth it. Again, this is just my opinion.

3 hours ago, Thorium said:

If you did not had fun playing it, why do you play it?

The amount of hours says a lot about the enjoyment factor. People typicly stopp playing a game if they dont enjoy it. You could argue that you did enjoy it at first but later the game changed in a direction you dislike. But then again, it's time to stopp playing...

I stopped playing ARK long time ago. It happened when I realised Wildcard would keep releasing "dinosaurs content updates" only without overhauling lackluster core gameplay mechanics or serious bug fixes. In the end I was right.

Hmmm, lets see what my money will get in other games today.

Ohhh, nice sale over in World of Tanks.

Was $103, now on sale for 82.99.

Includes:

• VIII AMX M4 mle. 49 Liberté (Tank)
  • Garage Slot;
  • Gold: 3,000;
  • Credits: 2,000,000;
  • Premium Account: 30;
  • Vertical Stabilizer Mk 2;
  • Enhanced Gun Laying Drive;
  • Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer;
  • 20×MISSIONS: X5 XP FOR A VICTORY on Liberte.

So for my $83 I get 1 tank and a slot to keep it in, some gold and etc. to spend on special ammo and skins, some consumables and 30 days of premium game play.  A WHOLE TANK and AMMO!!! WoooHooo!!!

WOT is a decent game, but it seriously puts your $60 for ARK into perspective.  $60 buys you 1 or 2 vehicles in a game with hundreds to choose from.  I'm not saying it's not worth it if you enjoy the game, but it puts into perspective just how much your $60 gets you in ARK.

40 minutes ago, Casanova said:

We've already announced we are releasing another huge expansion this year and then another one next year :) 

I am curious, but will your community team still be limiting their responses to the community to once per 24 hours when servers are down for multiple days? I have not played a single other game since I bought ark. I've purchased multiple accounts over the past year (with expansions) and had planned on getting the CE, up until a week ago. I have had this forum account for around a year, but never posted until about a week ago. So what changed around that time? That is when the servers I play on started to stay down for multiple days at a time with limited communication from your team. It has been about 24 hours since the last post from anyone regarding them being down. I hope you understand why my feelings for your game have started to change over the past week.

4 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Hmmm, lets see what my money will get in other games today.

Ohhh, nice sale over in World of Tanks.

Was $103, now on sale for 82.99.

Includes:

• VIII AMX M4 mle. 49 Liberté (Tank)
  • Garage Slot;
  • Gold: 3,000;
  • Credits: 2,000,000;
  • Premium Account: 30;
  • Vertical Stabilizer Mk 2;
  • Enhanced Gun Laying Drive;
  • Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer;
  • 20×MISSIONS: X5 XP FOR A VICTORY on Liberte.

So for my $83 I get 1 tank and a slot to keep it in, some gold and etc. to spend on special ammo and skins, some consumables and 30 days of premium game play.  A WHOLE TANK and AMMO!!! WoooHooo!!!

WOT is a decent game, but it seriously puts your $60 for ARK into perspective.  $60 buys you 1 or 2 vehicles in a game with hundreds to choose from.  I'm not saying it's not worth it if you enjoy the game, but it puts into perspective just how much your $60 gets you in ARK.

Sorry but is that game not a pay to win game and totaly different structure then ArK. Almost felt like comparing ark with a browser game :)

4 minutes ago, Shebeatsyoui said:

I only buy things on sale anyways however after the xbox patch yesterday in SP anyways the game was running like butter smooth only hickups when saving gotta say in my almost 2 year testing the game its feeling almost there. Isnt anyone excited that its finally a fun game again? anyone?

I'll have to wait and see. I play on ps4, so those bug fixes haven't come to us yet. As someone who paid $60 though, doesn't seem worth it to me in its current state.

8 minutes ago, Nickoli1900 said:

I'll have to wait and see. I play on ps4, so those bug fixes haven't come to us yet. As someone who paid $60 though, doesn't seem worth it to me in its current state.

Don't wanna ruin it for ya but night and day difference for me at-least. Just the night before me n my bud were playing coop and having issues then after the 22gb patch it felt like a new game. Dunno how it runs on PS4 but someone at WC is playing good doctor with the game. Maybe youll get Raganarok bundled with your update ;)

2 minutes ago, Shebeatsyoui said:

Don't wanna ruin it for ya but night and day difference for me at-least. Just the night before me n my bud were playing coop and having issues then after the 22gb patch it felt like a new game. Dunno how it runs on PS4 but someone at WC is playing good doctor with the game. Maybe youll get Raganarok bundled with your update ;)

Hope so, glad you're enjoying it. :)

10 hours ago, Jtmorris said:

How many hours until it's worth $60?

How many hours of fun gameplay would you say you would need before you admit that a game is worth $60?

I think of it this way I would easily spend $30 taking my wife to the movies. If we bought popcorn and pop it would be another $15 on top of that. For two hours of entertainment people say that's worth it. For $60 I could watch four to six hours of movies.

I purchased Ark at a fraction of retail cost (as I'm sure most here did). We bought it in an unfinished state and I've put in hundreds of hours. It's been so much fun. On release, if someone pays $60, they will play for hundreds of hours too, have a ton of fun, be super frustrated with bugs, but keep on playing. I'm sure that most will get their money's worth.

But what do you think? Lots of you have said it's not worth $60. How many hours of fun do you need from a game until you would say it passes for you? 

I have over 4000 hours in this game and still playing,  how much does that work out per hour that I paid?  I would say it's well worth the money,  twice over,  and I will happily buy any dlc they make on day one without question. 

57 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

I stopped playing ARK long time ago. It happened when I realised Wildcard would keep releasing "dinosaurs content updates" only without overhauling lackluster core gameplay mechanics or serious bug fixes. In the end I was right.

So why lurk around the forums complaining about a game you don't play 

59 minutes ago, JSacra said:

I am curious, but will your community team still be limiting their responses to the community to once per 24 hours when servers are down for multiple days? I have not played a single other game since I bought ark. I've purchased multiple accounts over the past year (with expansions) and had planned on getting the CE, up until a week ago. I have had this forum account for around a year, but never posted until about a week ago. So what changed around that time? That is when the servers I play on started to stay down for multiple days at a time with limited communication from your team. It has been about 24 hours since the last post from anyone regarding them being down. I hope you understand why my feelings for your game have started to change over the past week.

What changed is that they're pushing for Cert and disc submission and almost all of their focus is on Client Side wrap-up and development. After disc submission focus will turn back towards server-side.

18 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

So why lurk around the forums complaining about a game you don't play 

To point out game design flaws and other issues hoping developers will fix them. Despite of my criticism of WC, I still see potential in ARK that wasn't used fully. I hoped ARK would be a game that introduces dinosaurs into big game industry and maybe big publishers would give a shot for triple-a Dinosaur games. So far there is none such a game on the market from big publishers. 

5 hours ago, lammaer555 said:

constant nerfing

Sorta off topic, but I just thought I'd mention this. The flurry of nerfs is WC's fault, but not in the way people think. It seems they've got a tendency to dump OP elements into the game, let it sit and then come back to it later. Take the Therizinosaurus, for instance. The thing was crazy when first released, and even for a while after. It could outdamage a Rex and gather practically everything that wasn't stone or metal based. Made a lot of gathering animals more or less pointless. So, by the time WC came back to it, folks were accustomed to how it behaved from a gameplay standpoint and had gotten attached to everything it could provide. WC then smacked it with the nerfbat a bit and, of course, people got upset.

It's known that people don't like having things taken from them and aren't, generally, fans of change. So now people are seeing these back-to-back nerfs and it's souring them because they don't have time to digest it before they see yet another one. And that's just ticking all the wrong boxes in their head, regardless of what's being nerf'd and if it actually even needs to be nerf'd. Except Eels. Everyone was waiting for Eels to be nerf'd.  

35 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

What changed is that they're pushing for Cert and disc submission and almost all of their focus is on Client Side wrap-up and development. After disc submission focus will turn back towards server-side.

Actually that is false. Disc cert does not prevent community reps from coming in here and keeping us up to date on why our servers have been down for days. The network and server monitoring guys also are not on the cert process 24x7. They have an entire team of people and I can guarantee you that not every single person in the office is pounding away at their keyboards working on disc cert. If you believe that, then you should go check their twitter feed to see that they have time to joke around and answer other questions.

1 hour ago, JSacra said:

Actually that is false. Disc cert does not prevent community reps from coming in here and keeping us up to date on why our servers have been down for days. The network and server monitoring guys also are not on the cert process 24x7. They have an entire team of people and I can guarantee you that not every single person in the office is pounding away at their keyboards working on disc cert. If you believe that, then you should go check their twitter feed to see that they have time to joke around and answer other questions.

That /is/ why they have been down for days. At least that would be my guess. Server maintenance just isn't as much of a priority ATM.

Archived