Good luck new players you are going to need it...

strem

I firstly just want to say that I love this game so please believe me when I say that I am not trolling but I have just returned after taking a year off and unfortunately in both PVP and PVE starting out just seems broken.

On my return I thought I would start fresh on a PVP server and start to build up a small base again however with all my best attempts to stay hidden and split my resources over a number of smaller bases I still logged in to see that my bases were destroyed every night by people flying around with high level Wyvern.

The problem being that I could only build a base out of stone being low level so metal wasn’t an option and it takes no effort for someone to fly around on a Wyvern and destroy it.

I therefore tried a number of different servers and base locations but in the end I was always met with the same fate.

Reluctantly I decided that in its current state PVP was no longer an option for me so I decided to try PVE.

I spent a good couple of weeks building up a base on Scorched Earth and I was loving it knowing that I could build in the open and my base would still be there in the morning!

Then I was introduced to Rock Golem kiting!!

I logged onto my seemingly safe base to discover someone had kited a rock golem to my base and it had destroyed most of my dinos and base.

I was absolutely gutted that even on a PVE server my base wasn’t safe without building in metal and I am too low level for that really to be viable.

So I was just wondering in its current state how are the new influx of players coming in August going to deal with the above without wanting to just quit the game?

It is going to be lambs to the slaughter!!

I therefore just wanted to wish  any new players planning on buying this game good luck because I am afraid to say in its current state you are going to need it!!

the offline safety only starts 15 mins after logging off.. not sure why but that is the case

Then the issue with golems is they revert to rock form and as soon as you log on boom instant attack

I had same thing recently i logged on the center map a gigga was kitted to my courtyard (PVE) an as soon i i loged in protection goes lost EVERYTHING in an instant

while offline protection is a great thing it also come with a few flaws like having to watch all your stuff get destroyed when logging in

Is it possible to make it so that agro wild dinos lose agro once within certain radius of an offline players base or something i dunno but i don't ever see a 100% fix to the issue of  ....peoples  not being tools but we can hope

in PVE its getting to the point where I haven't even built behemoth gate walls and instead use the resources to build up a base to store the dino's in with no base defences active until I sign on and wake up all plants or power turrets ups. I'm even contemplating if I need the turrets as I have full coverage with X plants as well as giga defence whilst im muuching about gathering resources

currently I can store 4 gigas, a quetz, breeding room, pteras, argys and yuty's in one building and expanding to include rex's and the usual resource dino's.

with Prime in such abundance there's no need for a kibble farm.

make sure you build square and build up not out is my only suggestion I suppose

45 minutes ago, strem said:

I personally playing in  2 pvp server and building not demolished like u said, 1st thing when alpha came to me, i talk politely and open everything in my base. They checked and go back happily.  In other server I am playing with my friend and we have grt progress their. Might be you doing something wrong or those servers are full morons where u trying.

For PvE, i dont know what server you trying? If u are in Island, Center or Ragnarok then no threat of giga and rock golem if u choose base place nicely. 

The general consent of this thread is for the unexperienced player.

This is why there's trolling in PVP, where alpha tribes or just large tribes try to not have any fear of competition and destroy small tribes ASAP.  

Same goes for PVE, only difference is that there's is no actual competition, only trolling if you happen to land on a server of sorts. If those trolls would want to play actual PVP, they should go and play on a PVP server. But they won't because they don't want to lose anything (as described in the first paragraph). 

Not all servers are like that, I know, but many unfortunately. But that is what makes it hard to strive and survive for new players. 

1 hour ago, The1trueGodMe said:

i dunno but i don't ever see a 100% fix to the issue

i only ever played pvp, so i cant really judge this issue, and i dont want to offend anybody, but i really cant understand how pve players can have problems to defend against environmental threats. i mean, i know animals are kited, but they are still steered by their stupid ai. you should be prepared for any possible threat the ark nature has to offer. only tame what u can protect, pick your starting location carefully and prepare yourself appropriately if you really want a castle at the river in the snow biome... it is still a survival game

Regarding the overall experience for new players i can say that i have started out fresh on several official servers in the last months and i had no problems at all, build small and hidden, be nice and hope you found a halfway friendly server. if thats not the case just look for another one. the fact that stronger people can/will exercise power upon weaker ones is a central part of this game and newbies should be aware of it (at least in pvp). Also, as a new player, i would always start out in singleplayer to learn the basics and inform myself watching videos or reading the forums before going for online gameplay.

1 minute ago, natman said:

i only ever played pvp, so i cant really judge this issue, and i dont want to offend anybody, but i really cant understand how pve players can have problems to defend against environmental threats. i mean, i know animals are kited, but they are still steered by their stupid ai. you should be prepared for any possible threat the ark nature has to offer. only tame what u can protect, pick your starting location carefully and prepare yourself appropiately if you really want a castle at the river in the snow biome... it is still a survival game

Regarding the overall experience for new players i can say that i have started out fresh on several official servers in the last months and i had no problems at all, build small and hidden, be nice and hope you found a halfway friendly server. if thats not the case just look for another one. the fact that stronger people can/will exercise power upon weaker ones is a central part of this game and newbies should be aware of it (at least in pvp). Also, as a new player, i would always start out in singleplayer to learn the basics and inform myself watching videos or reading the forums before going for online gameplay.

I'm in the same boat.. pvpers deal with this plus hostile players on a consistent basis.. it is a survival game,  bases can be proofed against wild threats..

52 minutes ago, maze said:

The general consent of this thread is for the unexperienced player.

This is why there's trolling in PVP, where alpha tribes or just large tribes try to not have any fear of competition and destroy small tribes ASAP.  

Same goes for PVE, only difference is that there's is no actual competition, only trolling if you happen to land on a server of sorts. If those trolls would want to play actual PVP, they should go and play on a PVP server. But they won't because they don't want to lose anything (as described in the first paragraph). 

Not all servers are like that, I know, but many unfortunately. But that is what makes it hard to strive and survive for new players. 

Thank you Maze you have summed it up better than me!!

I am not saying that people can't survive I am just trying to say it is harder than ever with how the game has turned out.

I am not even that inexperienced as I started a tribe on a PVP server that became an Alpha tribe for a year however starting the game from fresh again with the current changes it is a real challenge especially seeing as stone is only really viable low level and you don't have turrets.

So for someone new to the game it is going to be extremely difficult and result in them not playing for very long in its current state.

I understand you can get lucky and find a nice server but I have even tried that.

I searched the official servers to find a low population one where there wasn't that many people active and the first server I joined was low population because there was a small Chinese tribe that wiped new people every night so noone stayed on that server hence it was low population and low activity.

The second server I joined with low population and low activity I was told by the one tribe on there before even building anything to leave or face getting wiped every single night.

So when the game is released some players might get lucky and find a nice server but the majority of them are going to be coming into hell and you are not even safe on a PVE server with kiting!

Now I know how to adapt and get metal and defend myself because I have experience in this game but alot of other people won't and it is going to be a horrible experience for them.

Game was actually much harder for new (PVE) players six months ago, before ORP, before several rounds of Troodon nerfs, before Theriz spawns were reduced, etc.  

In terms of PvE challenge, it can certainly be frustrating for a newb, but it IS a survival game.  Most official PvE servers have communities that are willing to help new players overcome setbacks like total base wipes and such.  Personally I've been playing 8 months and I think I've given away a handful of Quetzals, a dozen bred dire bears, about as many dodys, rexes, and ankies, plus dozens of pteras and hundreds of fert eggs of all kinds.  Not to mention the hundreds of tools, scuba or flak armors, etc.  I'm not even the most generous player on my server.

The biggest real issues I see for new PvE players are the lack of good real estate to build on, and some very suspect level requirements for key engrams like scuba gear, rex saddles, etc.  These things don't make the game impossible, by any means, but they do make the game much harder for those who are new, and without a tribe or helpful neighbors.

1 hour ago, natman said:

Regarding the overall experience for new players i can say that i have started out fresh on several official servers in the last months and i had no problems at all

I have to admit that i can only speak for regular officials before tek was common and for primitive officials. So yeah, the balance between early- and endgame might really be a problem for new players...

That imbalance and the reason that i just dont like the tek tier drove me to primitive and i can only recommend it ;)

Finding good Official servers is rather hard especially PvP servers. Only ever found 1 good PvP server where the alpha was cool and there were another 5 huge tribes who were all in a alliance and didn't wipe people unless they had a reason to. Then after a while people quit playing and the server got over ran by people who did wipe everyone and completely took over the server. Just have to accept that you will probably never get anywhere on a PvP server unless you befriend a bigger tribe. PvE Servers are also a pain to find since there a huge majority that have pillar spam everywhere and if you do find a area pillar the ever living crap out of it and claim it as yours because if you don't someone will just pillar around you at least that's my experience with PvE.

Anyways there are good PvP official servers out there but good luck finding them and don't ask in chat if the "server is friendly" because you will always be told no.

26 minutes ago, AbnormallyDealy said:

Finding good Official servers is rather hard especially PvP servers. Only ever found 1 good PvP server where the alpha was cool and there were another 5 huge tribes who were all in a alliance and didn't wipe people unless they had a reason to. Then after a while people quit playing and the server got over ran by people who did wipe everyone and completely took over the server. Just have to accept that you will probably never get anywhere on a PvP server unless you befriend a bigger tribe. PvE Servers are also a pain to find since there a huge majority that have pillar spam everywhere and if you do find a area pillar the ever living crap out of it and claim it as yours because if you don't someone will just pillar around you at least that's my experience with PvE.

Anyways there are good PvP official servers out there but good luck finding them and don't ask in chat if the "server is friendly" because you will always be told no.

Like you I did find a good PVP once however the friendly Alpha tribe on that got wiped by a Mega tribe who crossed server, locked out all the server slots, tamed a Titan and then just took their time laying waste to their bases.

So currently PVP isn’t really balanced on any level and unfortunately due to cross server nice Alpha tribes are slowly getting wiped out by the aggressive Mega tribes.

Most of the official servers are now basically private servers for the aggressive Mega Tribes with Wildcard paying the fees for running the servers. I think Wildcard would stop paying these fees if they weren’t so scared of the Mega Tribes ?

6 minutes ago, strem said:

Like you I did find a good PVP once however the friendly Alpha tribe on that got wiped by a Mega tribe who crossed server, locked out all the server slots, tamed a Titan and then just took their time laying waste to their bases.

So currently PVP isn’t really balanced on any level and unfortunately due to cross server nice Alpha tribes are slowly getting wiped out by the aggressive Mega tribes.

Most of the official servers are now basically private servers for the aggressive Mega Tribes with Wildcard paying the fees for running the servers. I think Wildcard would stop paying these fees if they weren’t so scared of the Mega Tribes ?

Yeah cross server transfer has kind of ruined official and most of all the official PvP servers are Aids. I still believe that there are half decent PvP servers out there but they are 1 in a million and there is no guarantee that a mega tribe wont just join and ruin the server. I honestly quit playing Official and moved to dedicated because even if i get wiped i can get back to a point that i'm geared again a little faster so its less frustrating but just like official finding a good server is kind of hard but still easier then finding a good official server.

4 hours ago, strem said:

I firstly just want to say that I love this game so please believe me when I say that I am not trolling but I have just returned after taking a year off and unfortunately in both PVP and PVE starting out just seems broken.

Not every new player jumps right in and  plays on an official server (maybe you are on a console, I don't think you said). When I first tried this game, I played an unofficial server and then later single player. Didn't try an official for maybe a year.

So I think I would agree with others, it was just your bad luck to think that is that best way to start.

1 hour ago, natman said:

I have to admit that i can only speak for regular officials before tek was common and for primitive officials. So yeah, the balance between early- and endgame might really be a problem for new players...

That imbalance and the reason that i just dont like the tek tier drove me to primitive and i can only recommend it ;)

This 

5 hours ago, strem said:

So I was just wondering in its current state how are the new influx of players coming in August going to deal with the above without wanting to just quit the game?

It is going to be lambs to the slaughter!!

I therefore just wanted to wish  any new players planning on buying this game good luck because I am afraid to say in its current state you are going to need it!!

i was just wondering where this 'influx" of players is going to magically appear from  i seriously doubt there will be an enormous amount of noobs as the game has already sold millions of digital copys, seriously! any1 interested in playing is probably already playing. :Jerbmad:

Archived