Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, seXikanac said:

What is low populated server for you? Low populated can be overbuilt as most of servers are overbuild long after majority of players leave them

PVE has auto-decay feature and PVP bases get wiped anyway by other tribes, so an low populated server in theory should have a lot of spots to build. An over populated server is like one I play on where there is barely room to build, we're 5% from hitting the dino cap and there is no wild spawns as soon a player #20 logs on...(and my server spent the last 4 consecutive days at 20+ players).

• 4 months later...
  • Volunteer Moderator

The magic 8 ball says future unknown.

Everyone I know has stopped playing including myself until they announce what is going to happen. Last I heard was at gdc and it was maybe we add new servers maybe we wipe we don't know. lol

personal note it should be wiped after all dupe methods fixed. Yes there are still methods being done as we speak. Not to mention achaita cementing paste glitch thank god that wa s finally fixed.

They NEED to wipe servers.  OH my friends, let me count the reasons why.

1.  People are D**KS.  They have moved on and repeatedly set huge tribes to "Run multiple servers" so that no one new can come in.

2.   no one can play on a server.  so new players buying the game cannot play.  Wiping the servers will allow new and old players to revisit what made the game so amazing in the first place.  Yes, it will suck in the beginning, but it will be worth it when the old time players learn again, find new things and meet new people all over again.

3.  Ark has become more like Gang Wars.  or "The Saviors" from the walking dead.   Work for me.  or you just wasted money and time.  you own the tools.  I own You.

4.  game breaking bugs and server strain which exists in Ark today. Official servers are the core of Ark, meant to have players play the game how the designers believed it should be played. which i feel has been lost on many new players joining large tribes and large "ALPHA" tribes.  Ark has been deviated by players from the original intended game play style.

5.  remove all the unfair and duped items that multiple players have access to but are denied to anyone not able to access such methods anymore [old school jump puzzle and day 1 fishing blueprints, to name a few]

6.  new players would find life very difficult on any Official PVP server. Not because the rates are not high enough, but because of how established and over powered Alphas are on all servers. The boosted rates,  are designed and intentionally made to make the grind easier for newer players to be able to catch up faster, only exacerbate the power Alphas have on all servers. The boosted rates help noobs marginally, but they help the Alphas more.

There are many more reasons, but i believe this proves my point as the issue lies with alphas and old time obsessing players.   this has been said by a member of an Alpha tribe i personally know.  the game is too easy with these rates, at this stage of the game. The only thing an ALPHA personally fears is some random griefer with multiple birds, as all other instances of conflict either happen on another server or under the disguise of an alt account so that there is no risk to their home server.

~"An Official Server wipe would also probably go a long way to alleviating the lag all servers experience on a regular basis due to dino overload and structure cap issues." ~

but i do not agree with that just because the fresh start for everyone would be enough to cause a breath of fresh air into a game that is all but dead to any but the die hard obsessed and kids staying home from school/vacations etc....

A wipe would not solve this issue for eternity, as eventually tribes will reach these apex levels again, and probably faster than before thanks to their boosted rates and increased knowledge of the game and rates. But in the time that would take, I feel like WildCard would be able to flush their game out fully and make improvements where necessary to fix these issues from said players, be they trolls or Alphas, permanently. So yeah, force everyone to start out at level 1, with nothing built on any server. With transfers disabled, because then your threat to survival are not just server and player based, but primarily based in the games intended mechanic.  Not the altered Hybrid that WildCard was forced to adapt because too many players cried about how much time they spent on the server.

thanks if you read this whole thing.  I had to get this out of my system after about a year or so of thinking this way.  

~LONG LIVE THE ARK~

-Manic

Xbox & PC player.  Official PVP Servers.

No there will be no wipe.  Not only have they said as much but it would be bad business.  The vast majority of people that would buy the game have already bought it.  Future revenue comes from keeping the old established players and selling them DLC.  A wipe would see a large proportion of players just go play something else.

Don't listen to the majority of people arguing ridiculous reasons why there will be a wipe.  They keep beating that dead horse because they are butthurt about either starting late and being behind or they secretly see it as the only way they can get revenge at the mega tribe that wiped them.  They just live vicariously through the hope that a wipe will accomplish what they can't.

i think there should be server wipes on release. just think about all those duped items. just giving us more officials on release doesn't solve anything. thx to crossark.

the thing is: anouncing it would be a huge mistake, because alot ( if not most) people would stop playing.  this means less feedback to fix remaining bugs/ glitches and so on.

for all those people talking about loosing thousands of hours: they are allready lost... or do you think you get the lifetime spend back?  be happy to rebuild and keep all the good and bad memmorys from your time allready spend in the game. this allready gives you a huge advantage over new people even after a wipe!

On February 5, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Pharoa said:

Would suck if they reset everyones hard work, just create new Servers on Release for them who want.

B-b-but then the new servers will be "claimed" within an hour of opening by mega transfercancer tribes, rolling around in a pack of wyverns wiping all the silly fresh spawns who thought theyd get a chance at a real early game experience. Pathetic of them, to think that they'd be safe from people who have been playing longer and are virtually untouchable. You just built a huge stone base and tamed 20 dinos? Sorry, the guy with the rockets didn't like that, so all your hard work is reset.

If we aren't safe from losing hours of hard work why should the transfercancers be safe? because they are unemployed spoiled brats who will throw a fit and quit if they have to go through what i've been through 100 times just ONCE?? This game NEEDS a wipe and the removal of transfers, otherwise official servers will degrade into Moba community levels of garbage. People Will be embarrassed to admit they play this game, because of the reputation these "hardcore" players are gaining. Newcomers are treated like garbage and turned off from the whole experience 9/10 times, or slink away to private servers where friends are admin and cheating runs rampant

They would be commiting game suicide if they don't wipe the servers, I cant imagine people paying 70 odd bucks to play a game for the frist time on an "official release' would be super impressed when the spawn into the game for the first time ever and find themselves entrapped in a mega fortress saying all new players need to go somewhere else.  the potential backlash from not wiping and all new players coming in outweighs us who played the game in alpha.

It is Clearly the only logical Move to make if you want you game to be successful . Therefor I deduce they will not wipe because that's the ark dev thing to do. all said and dusted in 1 years time everybody will be like remember ark. So much potential.

I think them release the servers they have for RAG could be a test to see how the general population handles it. And by the looks of it isolated servers where everybody has to start again at level 1 are the most popular and will prove so over the test of time. ( for the next month or 2 until people gain proper alpha status on those isolated servers.

the un-isolated servers are pillared- with zerg tribe bases already due to the most controversial feature of ark.   I hope they find a way to fix this. I hope that they actually think that this is a problem and needs fixing. 

Doesn't take much effort to work out what they will do.  

1. Add new servers and NEVER allow transfers of anything from early access servers.

2. "Encourage" new players to join the new servers (won't be hard as who wants to join old locked down servers).  Numerous ways they can do this.

3. Re-purpose the old EA servers as their population dwindles from lack of new people joining and general attrition of people quitting or moving to the new servers.

Simple solution that keeps with their "No Wipes" statement, gives new players new servers and will kill off old servers that they don't really want anymore.

If they want to hasten the process all they have to do is release new "content" that only applies to the new servers (they can make up any sort of reason they like) and the old servers will die even faster.  But the writing is on the wall, current servers have a very limited lifespan once they go full release, the only question is whether they will be allowed to slowly die or will be culled fast, regardless, they are dead.

20 minutes ago, Kallor said:

Doesn't take much effort to work out what they will do.  

1. Add new servers and NEVER allow transfers of anything from early access servers.

2. "Encourage" new players to join the new servers (won't be hard as who wants to join old locked down servers).  Numerous ways they can do this.

3. Re-purpose the old EA servers as their population dwindles from lack of new people joining and general attrition of people quitting or moving to the new servers.

Simple solution that keeps with their "No Wipes" statement, gives new players new servers and will kill off old servers that they don't really want anymore.

If they want to hasten the process all they have to do is release new "content" that only applies to the new servers (they can make up any sort of reason they like) and the old servers will die even faster.  But the writing is on the wall, current servers have a very limited lifespan once they go full release, the only question is whether they will be allowed to slowly die or will be culled fast, regardless, they are dead.

Sounds like the perfect way to slowly kill off your primary player base. Most new money will be from DLC marketed towards established tribes. Making that DLC totally irrelevant to them unsurprisingly makes it a hard sell. If they did what you suggest then go "Ark: Frozen Earth DLC now available, but only on the new servers and no legacy servers" me and the dozens of people I know would persist on these old separated servers wouldn't buy it. On the other hand if it is still accessible and useable I'd buy it day 1 the second I get on, and likely so would almost everyone else in my tribe, my server, and my cross server alliances.

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived