Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

25 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

It was the best decision for launch. Given a long enough timeline I'm sure this would have been a plan B. It might still be a plan B in the long run. I fully believe now, however that they will concentrate on all the loopholes and issues that brought us here. They know the game is sentenced a slow demise if they don't and us constantly badgering about it won't speed the process. If we all can put that energy into the form of reporting on tribes etc that are proved hacking/exploiting (utube videos etc.) maybe that will help WC more than anything right now. @devs or mods. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Hey I'm not badgering them In that post, I'm merely pointing how they have taken steps to keep all parties interested/satisfied. Which is a brilliant bit of "think tanking" and I stated it is this way to try and help people understand WC's possible way of thinking.

Let's be honest posting videos can help but they must server records it doesn't take much to understand they servers that are seeing rollbacks constantly need looking into, which I'm sure they are doing.

And in terms of anyone else who is badgering, well maybe thats not correct to do during early access cause you sign up, knowing the issues thats fair enough, but anyone that parts with £150 for the collectors edition of the game come the 8th has every right in my eyes to badger away.

I want to be clear I support the Devs with there decisions, and believe they have the gamer at the forefront of the mind.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, mphelan49 said:

Hey I'm not badgering them In that post, I'm merely pointing how they have taken steps to keep all parties interested/satisfied. Which is a brilliant bit of "think tanking" and I stated it is this way to try and help people understand WC's possible way of thinking.

Let's be honest posting videos can help but they must server records it doesn't take much to understand they servers that are seeing rollbacks constantly need looking into, which I'm sure they are doing.

And in terms of anyone else who is badgering, well maybe thats not correct to do during early access cause you sign up, knowing the issues thats fair enough, but anyone that parts with £150 for the collectors edition of the game come the 8th has every right in my eyes to badger away.

I want to be clear I support the Devs with there decisions, and believe they have the gamer at the forefront of the mind.

Sorry my post was directed to general audience. I was saying in regards to yours that launching new clusters, even though a smart decision, probably wasn't their perfect solution if they had more time.

10 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

Sorry my post was directed to general audience. I was saying in regards to yours that launching new clusters, even though a smart decision, probably wasn't their perfect solution if they had more time.

Argh my bad!

I think I agree as it will split the player population although I wasnt all for complete freedom of transfer in first place. I think allowing you character transfer was a good idea, but dino's and gear well that's what kinda lead to so many issues in first place.

I dunno I think that have a very delicate juggling act to do, they couldn't announce full wipe, because they needed to keep current players happy but as I have stated now they have a plot filed not allowing transfer from one to the other (character only).

God who would want to be a dev of a popular evolving game lol

23 hours ago, Jerryn said:

At the beginning, yes.  But, what if later, people decided to check out Legacy servers and look for more open/empty servers, because of migration/turnover.

I know I would keep that option my back pocket.

Would you want to keep investing time on a server that might just get turned off in the future due to low population? Especially with ruling out later cluster-merges?

Personally, i dont - and i really don't see new players start on servers labelled "Legacy" with the same risk around.

I feel a bit betrayed about WCs change of mind on that matter and i don't see justifying reasons on the PvE side.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Enio said:

Would you want to keep investing time on a server that might just get turned off in the future due to low population? Especially with ruling out later cluster-merges?

Personally, i dont - and i really don't see new players start on servers labelled "Legacy" with the same risk around.

I feel a bit betrayed about WCs change of mind on that matter and i don't see justifying reasons on the PvE side.

Yet, there are posts in this thread by others that disagree with you.  You have a choice, just like everyone else now.  You may think you only have one option, and if so, that is also a choice you made. 

I am only pointing out possible options.  But, if you think you are doomed, I am not going to try to talk you out of it.

39 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

Yet, there are posts in this thread by others that disagree with you.  You have a choice, just like everyone else now.  You may think you only have one option, and if so, that is also a choice you made. 

I am only pointing out possible options.  But, if you think you are doomed, I am not going to try to talk you out of it.

Yes, sure - everyone got his own freedom for opinion.

No however, no - i disagree to your choice game here. You argued that nothing would change for legacy PvE.

On 19.7.2017 at 7:45 PM, Jerryn said:

Whether they launch new Clusters or not for PVE, nothing changes for Legacy PVE, except that players on Legacy could quit and start new character on the new PVE Clusters.

However, that can be mitigated by tribes that stay on legacy, that share core values/beliefs, finding low pop/empty servers, and moving to them.

I kinda dislike this, as i think its not completely honest. This cluster separation technically does not change your ability to log on and play on your current server at this point in time - there is no definitive end date for these servers. But they are indeed on a list for continuous shutdown-review. This is what changes on Legacy PvE and this is huge.

In my opinion there is no doubt that the influx of new players with intentions to play long-term on legacy servers will be minimal considering this fact. (Maybe you see this differently?)

So yeah i have a choice, but the choice here is die slow or die fast. Choice about playing with the risk of an incoming wipe every few weeks and start fresh.

No need to sugarcoat WCs new decision.

Better just put it bluntly: No wipe but if you want to play in a guaranteed persistent world - you gotta move.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Enio said:

No however, no - i disagree to your choice game here. You argued that nothing would change for legacy PvE.

I kinda dislike this, as i think its not completely honest. This cluster separation technically does not change your ability to log on and play on your current server at this point in time - there is no definitive end date for these servers. But they are indeed on a list for continuous shutdown-review. This is what changes on Legacy PvE and this is huge.

In my opinion there is no doubt that the influx of new players with intentions to play long-term on legacy servers will be minimal considering this fact. (Maybe you see this differently?)

So yeah i have a choice, but the choice here is die slow or die fast. Choice about playing with the risk of an incoming wipe every few weeks and start fresh.

Better just put it bluntly: No wipe but if you want to play in a guaranteed persistent world - you gotta move.

Well, I was being honest (and there are other posts you are ignoring), and since you think I am not, I will move one.  I have better things to do with my time, especially when with the 'every few weeks comment' to try and make your point;  I love irony.

24 minutes ago, Enio said:
On 7/19/2017 at 0:45 PM, Jerryn said:

This is where the genius comes in that some may not see right now. Yes all legacy servers are now on the bosses chop-block IF they don't perform.. right?  Well, how many PvE players have watched their server turn away new players because there's no room, even though every tribe has a square mile pillared up that's for "spawns". Now there will be much more incentive to welcome new players wherever they come from because we've all been put on official notice. PvE pillar problem solved, all they needed was an official statement after all lol  

sorry Jerryn not sure why it copied you on this 

11 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

Well, I was being honest (and there are other posts you are ignoring), and since you think I am not, I will move one.  I have better things to do with my time, especially when with the 'every few weeks comment' to try and make your point;  I love irony.

Well, i tried to point out why in my opinion this isn't fully honest. I did not read much further than your post i was answering on, hell its 124 pages now.

I read it up again, you are right, its not every few weeks, its every 3 months. This doesn't at all chance the point i was trying to make though.

You are free to drop out this argument, but i think i presented you some valid arguments in a respectful way, no need to get all salty on opposition.

11 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

This is where the genius comes in that some may not see right now. Yes all legacy servers are now on the bosses chop-block IF they don't perform.. right?  Well, how many PvE players have watched their server turn away new players because there's no room, even though every tribe has a square mile pillared up that's for "spawns". Now there will be much more incentive to welcome new players wherever they come from because we've all been put on official notice. PvE pillar problem solved, all they needed was an official statement after all lol

I fail to see this same situation happen again without a mechanics change. Did you follow ragnarok introduction? You can easily farm enough wood in a day to block off whole island with a bigger tribe..

i don't see all these expectations fulfil.

Edit: On my server, when there was room needed, and people actually talked about it instead of just cussing, place was made and solutions were found. However this depends alot on the player characters - and i don't see a wipe change much on this side either.

Wow. 

So do people who don't like this solution actually think that everyone should be forced to keep playing on servers where people have slingshoted themselves forward by cheating? Do you actually think new purchasers of Ark will enjoy that? Do they think that the large honest player base enjoy being ddos'ed and fighting and defending against dupers? 

The only real fix is a wipe and fresh start. And that was the plan as of last week. 

I find this choice was better than a wipe. It's not perfect, but at least you can still keep your video game items. 

If you disagree, you should probably consider all players, rather than just yourself and your Tribe. 

Is there another solution that was missed? 

3 hours ago, Jtmorris said:

Wow. 

So do people who don't like this solution actually think that everyone should be forced to keep playing on servers where people have slingshoted themselves forward by cheating? Do you actually think new purchasers of Ark will enjoy that? Do they think that the large honest player base enjoy being ddos'ed and fighting and defending against dupers?

I see this valid on PvP, where duping effects has a detrimental impact on other players enjoyment of the game. Here eventual left-over items from duping really hurts and given that new prevention mechanics are in place - the cost of legit players losing their work and progress can be justified i guess.

On PvE i see this differently, here the cost of losing progress and work does not really get a reward. Duping was a non-issue there. Not because it didnt happen (I really don't hav any numbers on that), but because it doesn't affect other players enjoyment.

That said, i don't think it was so common there on PvE. For the server crash/rollback duping techniques i can with some confidence say that it has not happened at all on our PvE server. It ran stable not a single crash while i was on (quite alot) and i did not hear of any instability from other players either.

So all "benefit" i can see is a reset on the quite advanced stats on some breeding lines, highest i saw traded with about 10 mutations stacked on one stat - this is doable legitly. So in my opinion this does not justiy a split/soft wipe (however you wanna call it) from the reasoning WC initially postulated.

8 hours ago, Enio said:

I see this valid on PvP, where duping effects has a detrimental impact on other players enjoyment of the game. Here eventual left-over items from duping really hurts and given that new prevention mechanics are in place - the cost of legit players losing their work and progress can be justified i guess.

On PvE i see this differently, here the cost of losing progress and work does not really get a reward. Duping was a non-issue there. Not because it didnt happen (I really don't hav any numbers on that), but because it doesn't affect other players enjoyment.

That said, i don't think it was so common there on PvE. For the server crash/rollback duping techniques i can with some confidence say that it has not happened at all on our PvE server. It ran stable not a single crash while i was on (quite alot) and i did not hear of any instability from other players either.

So all "benefit" i can see is a reset on the quite advanced stats on some breeding lines, highest i saw traded with about 10 mutations stacked on one stat - this is doable legitly. So in my opinion this does not justiy a split/soft wipe (however you wanna call it) from the reasoning WC initially postulated.

That makes sense. So then just adding more servers probably won't affect PvE too much really, and it's great the existing servers won't be wiped. This new solution is a win for PvE too. 

• Volunteer Moderator
14 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

man, do all the "legacy servers are doomed" criers really not understand they have each other?  and that will keep the servers afloat?

Maybe it will depend on how many currently on legacy servers quit and move to new servers. A semi busy legacy server may become a dead server if the majority move over.

7 minutes ago, GP said:

Maybe it will depend on how many currently on legacy servers quit and move to new servers. A semi busy legacy server may become a dead server if the majority move over.

if half of those that are 100% certain that this is just a slow wipe stay put, they'll easily keep several servers alive and well for themselves

having the legacy cluster allows them to keep all the important things (dinos, items, bps)...transferring those to each others' servers makes sure that they'll have their community (that a lot of them duped away anyway...)

the bases really aren't that important, and with their super bred dinos, are very easy to rebuild

rather than blaming wc, they can realize they are indeed in full control of their destiny

On 21/07/2017 at 3:10 AM, Enio said:

Well depending on how many servers get released on the new cluster it is entirely possible that low pop servers on the new cluster will get shut down if they release too many.  It goes both ways afaik.

On 21/07/2017 at 3:53 AM, Enio said:

In the long run there is no guaranteed persistent world.  Eventually they will all be shut down and people will have to host privately if they want to continue.

On 7/20/2017 at 1:25 PM, Enio said:

I fail to see this same situation happen again without a mechanics change. Did you follow ragnarok introduction? You can easily farm enough wood in a day to block off whole island with a bigger tribe..

i don't see all these expectations fulfil.

Edit: On my server, when there was room needed, and people actually talked about it instead of just cussing, place was made and solutions were found. However this depends alot on the player characters - and i don't see a wipe change much on this side either.

Mine too. We make room for good newcomers as everyone should, but let's say that tribe that pillared the rag server you were mentioning kept it that way. At the very least it would get the gm's attention and whoever is monitoring the kill list for server pop. That's all I was saying- it's just a good tool to keep that from happening as much and in the extent it does. They see any server avg pop 4.. there's something wrong there 

Anyone else notice something rather funny about the interview with Jeremy Stieglitz? Here's the link to the full article: http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolveds-design-lead-on-huge-server-wipe-reversal-and-new-structure-post-pc-launch/

I snipped out the parts that'll let you see the joke below:

"So after speaking about our decision to wipe servers yesterday I went back and spoke to the team and asked: are we doing the right thing here? There are a lot of different opinions around the round table, so to speak, and we also talked to our community managers who are a little closer to the players than we are. And then, we also talked to our playtest team—the playtest team are actually like just players, they know the game really well, they're volunteers, they tend to take a look at our content, they're not employees so they come at it from an Ark fan standpoint more than anything else."

"We also did another deep dive into the online debates about the wipe versus no wipe situation in Ark. Ultimately we took away from all that it just seemed like a pretty even split. You're talking about basically half the playerbase, even in PvP, that does not want to see this happen. It just doesn't seem like a good, smart move to, probably, piss off half the playerbase. We knew that before too, but we didn't have an exact statistic as such."

"We ultimately did therefore reverse the thinking yesterday and that came about through some serious discussions. Ultimately it was kicked off by talking to [the press]. It was talking to the press, that made us think: Are we really sure about this? That in turn spurred me to go back to the dev team, talk to them about it again, and it just chained out from there until we ultimately came to the U-turn scenario."

"On the face of it, you've reversed your decision overnight having spoken to the press, playtesters and your team. But surely you must have realised deciding against wiping the servers entirely was possible before now. Why did this decision go down to the wire?"

Long story short the joke is he outright admitted the dev team, including himself, pretty much ignores what goes on in the forums. :D

Just reading this very thread would have given any curious individual a good idea of the distribution of pro and anti-wipers. It also seems that they tend to have no interest in talking to the people at Wildcard who interact with players on a regular basis otherwise I'm sure they would have been made aware of the situation beforehand.

I have to admit that I am rather annoyed I really was right about them planning to wipe this entire time but at least they were made to see reason. Apparently Jeremy Stieglitz's heart grew three sizes that day. xD

• Volunteer Moderator
8 hours ago, Vrallox said:

Long story short the joke is he outright admitted the dev team, including himself, pretty much ignores what goes on in the forums. :D

You missed this part:

"There are a lot of different opinions around the round table, so to speak, and we also talked to our community managers who are a little closer to the players than we are."

Those would be lilpanda, Jen and Jat. The community managers, who are very active on the forums.

9 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

You missed this part:

"There are a lot of different opinions around the round table, so to speak, and we also talked to our community managers who are a little closer to the players than we are."

Those would be lilpanda, Jen and Jat. The community managers, who are very active on the forums.

Nah. I caught that: 

9 hours ago, Vrallox said:

It also seems that they tend to have no interest in talking to the people at Wildcard who interact with players on a regular basis otherwise I'm sure they would have been made aware of the situation beforehand.

They did that only after Jeremy Stieglitz's change of heart as he himself said. Like I said, if they had spoken to their own people who deal with the player base almost every day, like lilpanda, Jen, and/or Jat, some time ago they would have known what to do long before this week.

Come on. Be honest. Tell me you don't think this is funny. Maybe even a little irritating as well. :)

On 7/19/2017 at 8:53 PM, GritlandYankee said:

Nothing is forever. Eventually - maybe years from now - all legacy servers will be wiped under "ghost town" protocols. This should be expected. Like many deaths on Noob Beach. I completely support Wildcard using such a protocol to do this.

Thats fine tbh, running server for 1 person makes no sense. but give that one person option to transfer EVERYTHIGN to another legacy server, that means GIVE 100% resource back for demolishing, including ELEMENT, allow transfering everything, INCLUDING ELEMENT, TRIBUTES. That would be propper way to do it.

I as a PVE solo player have decided to stay on Legacy and play until my server gets wiped and then when it happens, If I am going to lose all the element, all TEK tier, then I'm officially done with the game and will stay away from every new game from Wildcard Studios. Unfortunately, after 5,500 hours into this game, if I learned 1 thing then it's that Wildcard gives 0 fu*ks  about deleting player's progress (don't tell me here "if they dont care they would have wiped at relase, becuase they know if they did wipe their reviews at first day of launch would be Overwhelmingly Negative) and chances of them coming to such idea to give 100% resource back and allowing transfer of everything is equalent to chance of me finding t-rex in real life and taming it, that means 0

• GP locked this topic

Archived