Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

Bottom line as far as the wipe goes, my intentions were actually pure. I can still bow out and be fine with the outcome. I actually care about people even though some have thought I didn't. I do respect their decision regardless of what I wanted. I see a good middle ground in the midst.

hopefully it works. It was expensive though. @Jeremy Stieglitz I get you man. I was by far the front runner towards the wipe. I wish you luck and you shouldn't feel bad at all about planning on the wipe. The wipe was the best decision but I think in the end you realized that you Gave a definite decision a year ago and you decided to stay loyal to it. I do respect you for that. And hell, sometimes you just gotta keep your word. Word is bond and all that.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

No I wasn't saying that. Sorry if there was any confusion. I was saying that anyone on legacy should never be able to transfer to the new servers. Hopefully that cleared it up

You know how PvP works.  The more servers there are the more servers for the mega tribes to control.  Mega tribes will just create new characters on the new servers to try and get started controlling the whole cluster.  They will also keep their grip on legacy servers as well.  Any server without mega tribe control is a fruit waiting to be picked.

2 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

You know how PvP works.  The more servers there are the more servers for the mega tribes to control.  Mega tribes will just create new characters on the new servers to try and get started controlling the whole cluster.  They will also keep their grip on legacy servers as well.  Any server without mega tribe control is a fruit waiting to be picked.

God, why turn it into an argument? I fully realize that the megas can go to the new servers and just take it over. There is unfortunately nothing that can stop that. Atleast they can't just transfer all their stuff over and within an hour just have control.

if they want to go there and start all over from 1 and take it over then fine! That's is what would have happened with the wipe.

i would hope that old players would have some respect for the new but hey whatever happens, happens.

it still could end up bad

16 minutes ago, waterKeeper said:

I think PvP legacy servers will implode so damn fast. All ark servers are competitive, but so much so with PvP, every official PvP player wants a competitive edge and won't lose out on a head start for anything. That will be looming over everyone's heads right up to launch. Plus the whole arkageddon thing, I'm not religious, but it's basically like the rapture and gonna generate a lot of that "I don't want to be left behind" feeling.

I remember when the center opened up and all the islands emptied....

I'm thinking like 90% leave. A lot might stay but when they stay they will see their server pop drop, which will convince more to go, and so on....a full on wall street 1929 crash

I totally get what you are saying and I usually jump on board with anything against officials but I don't think it will be fast. Megas will inevitably go to new servers bu they will not abandon their home server. They will have the lower tier members doing the usual feeding and metal runs while the higher ranks go have fun on the new servers. True megas with he successful because they are close to the yakuza or whatever.

some alphas will try but some they aren't as established, I am sure they will get i sided while they are trying to be beta on the new servers. If you are not a mega, don't try to have both, fair warning!

funny thing is, the reason why I didn't like ark that much(even though I love it) is the BS politics involved. God the whole government aspect of this game just got old for me. I work for the           Government and politics are ?.

I deal with it everyday so I can't do it while I am trying to have fun

5 hours ago, vtallbloke said:

I see no insentive to move to the "new servers" thus "wiping" my own server by leaving it?

This, basically. People are gonna turn this into a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.  Because they think their server is doomed, they jump ship. But, had they not jumped ship, their server might've survived. More true in PvE instances. But Legacy PvP, by its very nature, is probably doomed. Legacy PvE, on the other hand, could sustain itself by the PvE 'Alphas' just trading with one another. Plenty enough of them that don't wanna leave. 

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, OnePotatoChip said:

This, basically. People are gonna turn this into a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.  Because they think their server is doomed, they jump ship. But, had they not jumped ship, their server might've survived. More true in PvE instances. But Legacy PvP, by its very nature, is probably doomed. Legacy PvE, on the other hand, could sustain itself by the PvE 'Alphas' just trading with one another. Plenty enough of them that don't wanna leave. 

Couldn't agree more. 

18 minutes ago, OnePotatoChip said:

Honestly don't see many leaving PvE for PvE. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see the new PvE servers near empty while the exact opposite on PvP like you said. Hmm.. that's perfect enough it's almost like it was planned that way ?

10 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

Honestly don't see many leaving PvE for PvE. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see the new PvE servers near empty while the exact opposite on PvP like you said. Hmm.. that's perfect enough it's almost like it was planned that way ?

I'm sure some will leave. I mean, PvE has a tendency to get crowded, so I imagine there'll be those that're gonna want the extra elbow room. Then you've got the folks that've been waiting to jump back into the game for whatever reason... Basically, the people that aren't entrenched in their servers are gonna be the ones likely to move. Still, nowhere near as much as some are making it out to be. Legacy PvE is gonna be fine. 

2 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

God, why turn it into an argument? I fully realize that the megas can go to the new servers and just take it over. There is unfortunately nothing that can stop that. Atleast they can't just transfer all their stuff over and within an hour just have control.

if they want to go there and start all over from 1 and take it over then fine! That's is what would have happened with the wipe.

i would hope that old players would have some respect for the new but hey whatever happens, happens.

it still could end up bad

Ahh I am not trying to turn it into an argument, I am just trying to let you know what I believe will happen.  Mega tribes will have any new servers locked down within a day or two.  It's gonna be the same rubbish whether it's legacy or new.  And legacy servers will still be a hotbed of activity.  If any mega tribes decided to move to the new servers and abandon Legacy then other mega tribes will make their move to fill the gaps. 

One thing that will be really interesting will be if duping will be fixed by the time the new servers roll out.  My money is on a plethora of duping from day one.  Mega tribes probably already have a few methods they are keeping secret for use on the new servers because they will be able to do it without fear that the new servers will be rolled back.  Within weeks both legacy and new will have the same duped stuff floating around, the same mega tribes controlling them.  At that point there won't be much reason to keep them seperated except for the fact they have given their word they will will not be merged.  And I guess with recent developments their word has proven to be a big thing.

34 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

I think a lot of PVE players might want to establish an outpost in the new cluster, but they will keep most of their activity in their old servers where their main bases are.

2 hours ago, OnePotatoChip said:

Yes... and this is another reason not to waste time on legacy PvE. They've been devalued, new servers are way more appealing. I alone cannot save my server, because people will go for what's more appealing... Our server is about year old, I play there from day one. People come and go, that's fine. But if you don't get new people servers will eventually die...From people who started about the same time as me there is only 2 players left on our server... the rest is 'new' players.

- So from that perspective is there any point in doing anything productive on legacy servers? No.

-All breeding turned out to be a complete waste of time. I'm glad I didn't breed anything those past months.

There is a bright side.. no sleepless nights ;)

- good thing about new cluster - no duped or god dinos spawned by some moron that in the end ruined future of our servers. If I was new player I would 100% go to new servers for fresh start without those bs duped and god dinos.

- as for mega tribes - they obviously will move to new servers

- dupers - afaik duping hasn't been fixed yet, many do it for profit so they will go to new servers no doubt.. that's where the money is (real money).

- god dinos - will that happen again? time will tell.

Not sure how people can be upset by their decision. 

Duping has been a major problem. 

New players to Ark need a place to start without fighting against tribes who cheated 

New servers are the only solution to not wiping. 

There needs to be a clear distinction between servers that have been tainted by cheats and ones that have not. 

And yes, I'm sure most will decide to enjoy the game without cheating or going up against cheaters. 

They have even made it so that repurposed servers can be saved and forever played. What more can they do? 

It was a great solution to a difficult problem. 

you guys totally forget lots2 of detail..many member of megatribe had no real skill in playing from bottom up. many start the game directly invited to join medium/alpha tribe.. playing from ground up, is very different.  Megatribe internal politic is not religious. The card is going to shuffle. the relationship between allies/branches/ etc no longer the same, the relationship between rank wont be the same too. people might want to change side or start their luck at opening their own new tribe.

would two person of equal skill want to be put into different rank inside the new age? off course not.. last time people tolerate it, because they wealth could be vastly different.. let say one tribe get wiped, so he joined other tribe. offcourse he would be put into lower rank, cus he dont own all that stuff.

so, saying old megatribe would very fast clamp down all server.. is bullpoop..

there will be lots of card being shuffle around..

50 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

Absolutely. Outpost called New PvP guy. 

I don't understand though, apart from new players, the maps are exactly the same, if PVE'rs are worried about abandoned structures well they are destructible after X amount of time and I'm sure if there are enough petitioning for it they will then merge the PVE servers once they've sorted out the current server issues they will then consider the transferring?

sorry about the bad English, I have not fully woken up yet

7 hours ago, Insomniak said:

Since your obviously pro-wipe from your comment are you playing odds? What's the chance your wrong again about the two months right? 50/50 win one lose one. Either way I hope you keep this peace about it and everyone else who thinks this.. move to the new cluster.. be happy.. hopefully the problems that led us here don't plague you because after all when the current exploits are fixed. There will never be more. Ever for any reason??. And I'm sure everything will stay transfer locked forever, even when there's never any new issues.

It's inevitable.  You only have to look at unofficial PVP to see it will happen.  Let's say 50% of players move to the new cluster.  This will just start a cascade of people leaving to play with their friends, leaving to find more players for PVP or leaving to find more victims.  As survival games normally go, if you can see the population of your server dwindling you can either jump ship ASAP to get a good start on a new server.  

6 hours ago, OnePotatoChip said:

So PvP inevitably will get reset and PvE stays left alone for the most part.... welldone WC.....well done

Good day Survivors. With the recently posted topic by our beloved developers  on the subject of the oncoming game release I would like to voice my concern. 

First and foremost I would like to note that don't speak just for myself I am a part of a big alliance and i have spoken to the majority of members. Some people were for the wipe even before the announcement, some were against it. We understand the logic behind WC's current proposal, it is designed to suit everyone. However, instead of making a unified decision to wipe everything or not to wipe everything they are forcing people to give up over a year of breeding and base building in order to escape the dupe infested Legacy servers.. And where is the guarantee that the new servers are going to be better. Can we really trust WC? There is information that  WC wanted to wipe everything one day before the wipe with no warning but then changed their minds and published the ''State of the Game''.  

''We will keep existing active Official Servers as they are post-ship.” That was the final word on the matter, said Stieglitz: “We take the time players put into the game seriously, and we want to reward them for that. The reward is having a *permanent* impact on your ARK, simple as that'' 

Now think about this so called ''reward''. You are stuck on the ''Legacy'' ghost cluster that is being reviewed every 3 months to get cut down more and more. No war, no activity as everyone has fled to the newly opened server months ago.. 

Looking at how indecisive WC are we fear they don't have a clear plan for their game. There are no guarantees that the new cluster will be duping free and no guarantees that they will not  merge the clusters to save money on the insane amount of servers they want to keep up. And who will suffer the most when WC is testing to see what fits their marketing strategy best ? WE, THE PLAYERS!  

I fear that my favorite game is being ruined even before it has been released. I think there should be a definitive Q&A on the subject and that a global wipe would be better then a separate cluster.  I would very much want to know what you think about all this. Are you happy to go to a new cluster and start over ? Are you hesitating to make a decision ? Or do you have nothing to loose and will just play the game, casually breading dodos for a week before uninstalling it as an Alpha tribe killed all of them by accident during a meat run? 

TLDR: A global wipe is better then the multi cluster raptor or is it ? Something, something WC are indecisive. Thoughts ?  

Nice questions.

I have been playing for well over 18 months, but have seen Dupers/DDOS attacks destroy a few servers, moving through them without a care in the world. I mean i see one server that had 3 alpha's that had been established for a year or more, wiped out in less than a week.

Its only recently that I have joined a tribe and seen the real element of PVP this game has to offer but it can only do that by fair means, and work and time played not the ability to DDOS the servers and dupe like mad.

So for me personally I would be more than happy to move to a new cluster and start all over again but and this is the big BUT..... only if they sort out the duping/DDOS issues before releasing this new server cluster, otherwise it will just be completely pointless. I am looking forward to staring a fresh, hopefully a new tribe with decent tribe members and learning/discovering all the elements I have missed but playing solo-ing for so long.

I do feel sorry for genuine established hardworking tribes on legacy servers, but there will come a point that these mega dupers have no one else to destroy and will eventually end up on there servers to do the same, giving WC the low population levels to fall into the wipe category!! 

I cant but help think this is how they see it all panning out. Keep both sides happy, and not having to  deal with the mega dupers now, in the hope they will move from server to sever destroying everything in which WC can stay neutral, and recommission the server at a later date. (Fair play this is how i would probably have handled it, as it was a difficult decision to make)

I was in favor of a full wipe, with duping issues sorted allowing experienced people to start a fresh and establish, while new people could come in a benefit from the expertise.

I think they should also consider smaller clusters on 10 of each map that you can only transfer to instead of all severs, but with maybe a PVP arena server where you can set up a non base dino war/ or a temp base war to challenge people on other clusters.

• GP locked this topic

Archived