Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

52 minutes ago, Ulta said:

No it wasn't. The most recent 'Will there be a wipe?' question was answered by Jen with a 'We are still discussing it'. Every RECENT wipe question in lesser known areas like the E3 interviews and such have also been met with similar answers.

So no...that 1 year old statement is clearly being turned back on it's head because something is making them consider otherwise. People have every right to treat this silence from WC as a possible yay or nay to a wipe, just because of those 'were still thinking on it' statements devs have made RECENTLY.

So what you are saying is they said a year ago there will not be a wipe, but they didn't really mean it and so they didn't really say it? I am with him on this one... they very publically said there will not be a server wipe... the question is will they keep their word.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/5/2017 at 1:49 PM, Volcano637 said:

I sure hope they do. A lot of people think they should be able to keep what they have at at some point everybody thought that way.

in all honesty they don't deserve to keep any of it. I really don't care if they worked hard for it or not. 

Everybody has worked hard on the game and most of already lost what they had. The main point is they just don't deserve it.

a wipe would be awesome to see. Fingers crossed.

sounds like someones been wiped a few times.... just because you lost your stuff doesn't mean everyone else should. 

1 minute ago, LittleRedReaper said:

Yeah... it's kinda not fun thinking about the prospect of losing what I literally have put 125 days (2992 hours) of gameplay into PvE official. I was on my server the second week it was on xbox. If everything that I worked for just gets erased, I would be devastated. 

I agree why wipe pve? It takes care of its self and builds a community. 

27 minutes ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

So what you are saying is they said a year ago there will not be a wipe, but they didn't really mean it and so they didn't really say it? I am with him on this one... they very publically said there will not be a server wipe... the question is will they keep their word.

Of course that isn't what I said. Don't put words into my mouth. Sure they said that, and I'm sure they meant it. But that was a YEAR ago. The game has grown since then, and when they made that announcement, they were getting close to 'release' at that time. But obviously, they ended up not releasing since the game needed more time, and so here we are today, a year later. The game is about to get launched for reals this time and the game has changed, especially recently with the sudden influx in duping...

So to expect that they are still going to keep their word 100% from a year ago, when the most RECENT statements about a wipe show CLEARLY that the devs are now needing to reconsider it, is silly. Every RECENT comment about a wipe has been met with an 'we don't know yet' answer. Those who are saying 100% that there will be no wipe because of an old statement are just being ignorant of the most recent facts and are just trying to cling to their dream hope that no wipe will happen. They are only hurting themselves and will most likely quit if a wipe happens, and the fault is on them for not cushioning their minds beforehand.

They should really open their minds to the other side of the 'what if', if they truly love this game. Otherwise they are in for some much larger disappointment that they could have avoided with some mental preparation. You'd be surprised how well that works in making people 'deal with it'.

13 minutes ago, LittleRedReaper said:

Yeah I dunno. It doesn't seem like PvE is the toxic, pile of waste PvP has become. I mean we have community taming pens, a library, a public fishing area and all noobs are helped out if they are decent people. We make reasonable server decisions together and compromise. It's really a lovely setting. I met my best friend on there and we have a nice modest base and try for mutations. I mean I dunno.. PvE is pretty chill for the most part.

Sounds like my pve server. Good people helping good people. Sure there are some problems, but the community sorts them out together. I'm not sure how it could be improved. Except maybe some better land claiming mechanics, but we just trade for land. 

3 minutes ago, LittleRedReaper said:

Funnily enough, I play this game to combat major depression and it makes me feel peaceful... sooooooooooooooooooooo yeah. Not for nothing for me.

If I were you, I'd pause your breeding till release. As long as the devs remain silent on this, I'd take it as a 'yes we will wipe'. Not so much because it will happen, it might not. But think of it this way.

If you expect a wipe and stop breeding for a little less than a month, and they don't wipe, then cool awesome you didn't lose any of your stuff and can resume breeding.

And if they DO wipe, at least you thought ahead and didn't waste all that time working on something for naught, and you can start over with the mentality that you won't have to worry about a wipe EVER again after release.

Which of those two options sounds smarter regarding your mental health? Preparing for a wipe, even if there might not be one, right? this is why I think people should just be preparing for a wipe, even if there might not be one...it's just a smarter to do =\ I'm sure everyone here can think of something else to do till August 8th.

13 minutes ago, o0oNightmareo0o said:

I just think a clean fresh injection of the code to the server is a great idea. Fresh start, fresh servers, with everyone on the same playing field with the way the game has been developed to play upon release. There have been so many changes to things, seems fair to me to wipe. Just do eet, YOLO

New servers on release, anybody that wants freash can go there and start over. Problem solved. Don't need to wipe the good servers and people that don't want to be wiped. Doesn't make sense unless your going to try and say it's too expensive for WC and they already said they can afford it. 

5 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Of course that isn't what I said. Don't put words into my mouth. Sure they said that, and I'm sure they meant it. But that was a YEAR ago. The game has grown since then, and when they made that announcement, they were getting close to 'release' at that time. But obviously, they ended up not releasing since the game needed more time, and so here we are today, a year later. The game is about to get launched for reals this time and the game has changed, especially recently with the sudden influx in duping...

So to expect that they are still going to keep their word 100% from a year ago, when the most RECENT statements about a wipe show CLEARLY that the devs are now needing to reconsider it, is silly. Every RECENT comment about a wipe has been met with an 'we don't know yet' answer. Those who are saying 100% that there will be no wipe because of an old statement are just being ignorant of the most recent facts and are just trying to cling to their dream hope that no wipe will happen. They are only hurting themselves and will most likely quit if a wipe happens, and the fault is on them for not cushioning their minds beforehand.

They should really open their minds to the other side of the 'what if', if they truly love this game. Otherwise they are in for some much larger disappointment that they could have avoided with some mental preparation. You'd be surprised how well that works in making people 'deal with it'.

Or we can quit and add enjoyment through real life or another game. Ark is not life and we don't have to "deal with it". There are better things to do. 

3 minutes ago, Ulta said:

If I were you, I'd pause your breeding till release. As long as the devs remain silent on this, I'd take it as a 'yes we will wipe'. Not so much because it will happen, it might not. But think of it this way.

If you expect a wipe and stop breeding for a little less than a month, and they don't wipe, then cool awesome you didn't lose any of your stuff and can resume breeding.

And if they DO wipe, at least you thought ahead and didn't waste all that time working on something for naught, and you can start over with the mentality that you won't have to worry about a wipe EVER again after release.

Which of those two options sounds smarter regarding your mental health? Preparing for a wipe, even if there might not be one, right? this is why I think people should just be preparing for a wipe, even if there might not be one...it's just a smarter to do =\ I'm sure everyone here can think of something else to do till August 8th.

I agree and have stopped breeding myself. However, why would we think there won't be a release EVER after wipe. That sort of negates your point that just because they said no plans to wipe and acknowledged our efforts are permanent we shouldn't take them at their word

2 minutes ago, LittleRedReaper said:

My mental health isn't in question over a game, like I said it makes me peaceful. I will make it if it gets wiped lol. But yeah I am gonna hold off breeding.

Same here, whether wipe or not, I will still play, I love this game. Personally, I am all FOR a wipe, because the game is going official. Every beta/alpha I have ever played or been payed to play was wipe on an official game release. Given the fact Ark is an A+ title in my book, I would be far more surprised to not see a wipe. This game has the potential to go the distance... Blizzard? No. Wildcard. xD

8 minutes ago, Ulta said:

If this is aimed at me, I really might have over stated my opinion. I am not 100 % expecting them to keep their word. Am just pointing  out the fact they promised they wouldnt wipe the servers, which if they then do wipe, will cause people people to have issues. I wont be too upset, I'll be kinda bumbed to lose my progress but thats life really. 

As it stands I am holding back on this game until after the 8th. I will still play but i am not investing anymore than i have to atm, as I am fully preparing myself for a wipe. :)

17 minutes ago, Ulta said:

I stand by my original statement. It is an integrity issue for me. They never had to say it to begin with since the original plan was to wipe the servers and back up the data so players could keep everything if they were willing to rent a server. They said it and now the question is will they keep their word.

10 minutes ago, bkrafty said:

Or we can quit and add enjoyment through real life or another game. Ark is not life and we don't have to "deal with it". There are better things to do. 

Well that's obvious. There is definitely more to life than ARK. I know I had to take a few breaks from it during the 2 years I've played it. But it has an interesting habit of making me crave to play it again a few months later. It's addicting xD

My only concern when I tell people what I do involving the wipe, is I don't' want these people to leave a BAD review about ARK if they do decide to stop playing. If people quit because of a wipe, they should just quit in silence. A one time wipe on release shouldn't be what kills this game, and to be honest, I doubt a wipe would kill it, even with the backlash the community might give it. Still, I'd like to minimize the amount of 'stupid' reviews it could get, or at least try.

7 minutes ago, bkrafty said:

I agree and have stopped breeding myself. However, why would we think there won't be a release EVER after wipe. That sort of negates your point that just because they said no plans to wipe and acknowledged our efforts are permanent we shouldn't take them at their word

True they could wipe in the future for all we know. But to me, I would think something extreme would need to happen to go to that sort of measure, like maybe a bug leaked in that required it. But I think rollbacks would be the thing that happens instead of a full on wipe. They just need to get rid of the duping bugs and ban all the offenders, and once that's done, I dont' really see a reason why WC would need to do a mass cull anymore.

This is not hijacking but relivent to the discussion of SERVER WIPING, If other admins or mods see or review this post they will see i am being reasonable and realistic and would like a reasonable and realistic answer, with Duping, Doxing, Dosing, Paypal...we all know this happens....but now GOD TAMES. .LEVEL 580 50k health 2000 melee..believe it or not the player that got these tames said they got them in the 30k+ levels and just breed it with level 5s to get it down in level. now its as low as 280 with the same stats lol.....This is now a issue for all ofical pvp server for xbox/ps4/pc..NOW to the community i ask,.based on the video below is this enough evidence to proof enough of god tames, should this qualify that all  the server should be wiped, yes or no? i believe yes. 

• GP locked this topic

Archived