Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

A thread like this is good and bad imo. For one I never would have thought there were this many people wanting a total wipe, but finding good solid arguments backing it is another story. But either way,  I'm sure like you said it's already been decided long ago, however I understand (as should everyone) why nothing has been announced as of late. In fact I'm sure of one of the devs or several Came here to announce a simple wipe/no wipe scenario it would be argued until after release. Really, it's a no win for an official statement. What do you think? 

i agree dude, i think i and everyone who is participating in this argument is wasting time.

4 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

A thread like this is good and bad imo. For one I never would have thought there were this many people wanting a total wipe, but finding good solid arguments backing it is another story. But either way,  I'm sure like you said it's already been decided long ago, however I understand (as should everyone) why nothing has been announced as of late. In fact I'm sure of one of the devs or several Came here to announce a simple wipe/no wipe scenario it would be argued until after release. Really, it's a no win for an official statement. What do you think? 

I agree, there have been some good ideas come out of this thread but it is a mute point. Like you said even if they came here and announced what the OP was asking about the argument would not stop. I will probably stay out unless something else constructive is said.

11 minutes ago, bkrafty said:

Firstly, think about how it makes you look when you assume what I base my ideas on (and are wrong) the say "how quaint" quaint by the way? really?

Secondly, we can afford it means we can afford it, no need to try and be WC's accountant my friend, I'm sure they know how to manage their finances., and if they don't, oh well it's their finances.

Finally, so what if a single duped item exists, its either in a vault or if being used won't be around much longer. Not sure on the PVE comment what your trying to say so I cant respond.

PvE comment wasn't aimed at you so can leave that bit for now.

What's wrong with the word quaint? You said "at the cost of the playerbase" assuming that if they did a wipe it would hurt their player base more than their finances.  Which tbh is quite a quaint outlook.

I'm not trying to be their accountant, altho it is rather funny that I am fully qualified and actually work as a finance manager for the gas/electricity network in the UK, so if anything I could say I have a pretty decent insight into the worlds of finance and economics.

Also, those duped items where used to destroy somebodies hard work and dedication, and could well be used to do the same again.. is that fair?

3 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

What's wrong with the word quaint? You said "at the cost of the playerbase" assuming that if they did a wipe it would hurt their player base more than their finances.  Which tbh is quite a quaint outlook.

I'm not trying to be their accountant, altho it is rather funny that I am fully qualified and actually work as a finance manager for the gas/electricity network in the UK, so if anything I could say I have a pretty decent insight into the worlds of finance and economics.

what is this guy even talking about???    

38 minutes ago, BrownieShytles said:

please point out where i refered to the financial aspect thanks in advance. i´m well aware that they can afford it. not sure why people reply if they obviously don´t have insight on basic reading skills, lol

to rephrase that for you: even if they can afford putting up new servers dedicated to new players, why bother if experienced tribes can and most likely will start over there as well and start to wipe thatch huts with rexes on day 3 after release?

Already did point it out in my original response not going to waste my time explaining things slowly anyways what is the difference between old players starting from scratch with new players on isolated servers or old players starting with new players on all server you dont make any sense with your point 

2 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Well, we are in a similar field. I'm a CPA & CIA here in the States and work as an internal auditor. I apologize if I offended you, don't want to bicker. Like I said I think some good Ideas have come from this thread and it has given me a new perspective. Thanks for your point of view, I can respect it. Have a great day.

9 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

I think it's a PR nightmare.

• If they announce anything now, it would be blown out of proportion by either media, or streamers/players, well until release. If they don't announce anything, they're pissing people off and harmful suspense keeps building.
  • If they wipe, they can justify it, but they will likely lose a lot of vet people. If they don't wipe, they will have negativity from a lot of people, especially new players.

There's no right or good solution to this at all. Things are so out of control at this point with duping and DDOS, that any decision will cause damage. Jeremy's decision a while back that they will wipe the low pop servers, introduce new ones and keep the high pop servers made a lot of sense...before said duping and DDOS issues came up. Now, it's a mess they have to solve, while choosing what will cause less damage in the process.

5 minutes ago, xLunacy said:

• If they announce anything now, it would be blown out of proportion by either media, or streamers/players, well until release. If they don't announce anything, they're pissing people off and harmful suspense keeps building.
  • If they wipe, they can justify it, but they will likely lose a lot of vet people. If they don't wipe, they will have negativity from a lot of people, especially new players.

There's no right or good solution to this at all. Things are so out of control at this point with duping and DDOS, that any decision will cause damage. Jeremy's decision a while back that they will wipe the low pop servers, introduce new ones and keep the high pop servers made a lot of sense...before said duping and DDOS issues came up. Now, it's a mess they have to solve, while choosing what will cause less damage in the process.

Solution: make all stacked items ex; forges chem benches ingots structres rockets etc into one item again after duping is solved nerf all existing dinos and call it a day

7 minutes ago, bkrafty said:

Well, we are in a similar field. I'm a CPA & CIA here in the States and work as an internal auditor. I apologize if I offended you, don't want to bicker. Like I said I think some good Ideas have come from this thread and it has given me a new perspective. Thanks for your point of view, I can respect it. Have a great day.

That explains alot, i'm forever bickering with our internal auditors over here xD 

4 minutes ago, OGCookies said:

Solution: make all stacked items ex; forges chem benches ingots structres rockets etc into one item again after duping is solved nerf all existing dinos and call it a day

From a code/patch deployment perspective, what you are suggesting is impossible, literally (for the duping part).

Dinos are getting a TLC pass after release I believe, and small tweaks here and there prior to it.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:51 AM, LilNastyGurl said:

They said they wouldn't, but it reminded me of a tinhat conspiracy somebody wrote.

"CrossARK. We'll make you beg for an Official Wipe."

Wow. It all makes sense now. The MASSIVE amount of duping being allowed right before official launch. Servers being raided by 100's of duped Super Gigas. Servers crashing all day and time warps from the duper to the point of being unplayable. People selling 100's of Tek Behemoths on FB. Dang man, You nailed it.

1 minute ago, xLunacy said:

From a code/patch deployment perspective, what you are suggesting is impossible, literally (for the duping part).

Dinos are getting a TLC pass after release I believe, and small tweaks here and there prior to it.

If they c ant fix duping wiping will do more harm then good as legit players will struggle to et back to where they were while exploiters will build insanely fast but i know they can make stacked items into one item theyve done it before

5 minutes ago, OGCookies said:

If they c ant fix duping wiping will do more harm then good as legit players will struggle to et back to where they were while exploiters will build insanely fast but i know they can make stacked items into one item theyve done it before

I agree.

They are working on fixing the issue. It's related to DDOS attacks on the servers, as well as overloads due to player-made kill-switches. From what I can tell, they're working on the network infrastructure to make DDOSing impossible. For the player-made kill-switches, I wouldn't know, but I'm guessing it's on their plate as well since I don't see them releasing with that.

17 minutes ago, xLunacy said:

I personally have a feeling that we will see a solution most are happy with, but it might not be until after disk release. It's probably not going to be what anyone is suspecting.. even though it's been mentioned before but snail/ark is a company and companies need consumers to buy their product. It makes sense they would try to appease everyone in this situation without causing further damage and yea I'm sure it's a walking nightmare lol. Just because they said reporposed doesn't necessarily mean wipe- time will tell. I believe they are trying to do everything as fair as possible.

45 minutes ago, bkrafty said:

Yeah, this whole thread should be published in a nice leather bound, Ark themed book and given out with the collector's edition for the new folks to see the history of ARK.

Lol hey if nothing else this thread just proves how engaged the community is. What other game has had this many pages of arguments and speculation on a single subject 

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

Lol hey if nothing else this thread just proves how engaged the community is. What other game has had this many pages of arguments and speculation on a single subject 

There's actually only a handful of people in this thread really saying the same thing over and over, not really the "community" lol.

To be honest i know that we shouldnt take this so far ahead since the devs didnt announce any thing but having just the idea of a server wipe is just annoying and it leaves many players on idle like i personally am not breeding or doing much of activities as i used to since i heard the news/rumors,i just go on and off to feed my dinos lol!,  i hope they will announce some thing soon.

current situation for most of players:

1. Quitting the game IF there will be any server wipes, and going back to real life lol.

OR!

2. Look for a new game to get addicted on lol XD.

Any ways i dont think the amount of players that will join the game after launch will over take the amount of players they have now to be honest and many players are already enjoying the game, so wiping the server will actually make them lose more players than gaining, where they already have old players who are already committed to the game with a lot of hours already put into it, yeah new players will join and might quit cuz of the PVE land claims and PVP alpha tribes, but is it worth the risk to gamble for the new players who might not even stay ?! thats the real question there lol

• GP locked this topic

Archived