Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

8 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

everyone is so selfish on this game. 

Really?  And  what gives you the right to judge me and everybody else that plays this game?

I play on an official PVE.. the tribes there are welcoming and helpful. No they don't give handouts and why should they? when the fun of the game is the learning.. it is a survival game after all. Im not an alpha.. have no wish to be one.. but i can sit back.. admire the time and dedication they have put into the game and wonder.. why the heck should they have even the smallest risk of losing all that to a wipe because of lazy new players who come to a server and think they are entitled to everything because they are too lazy to do anything on their own.. I get that there are alpha tribes out there that think they are top dogs.. but even top dogs can be infected by fleas.

I dont think  people should be considered selfish because they want their time to mean something and i certainly dont think anyone has a right to judge me or anyone else selfish when you dont even know us.

People play and use the tools provided to them .. i'm lucky my server doesn't seem to have dupes.. but why advocate a wipe instead of pure common sense... take away the tools.

A wipe is nothing but a bandaid.. fix the issues.. take away/block the tools...put bans into effect... no hard working tribe.. alpha or otherwise is going to want to risk all those hours of hard work on a few minutes of glory 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

So there are people playing now that are counting on a total server wipe (structures and dinos) to happen.. even though there is no evidence of this.. for those people to continue playing and buying dlcs? Wouldn't those people just stop playing for other reasons like say there is a wipe and the alpha pvp tribes decide to kill everybody now because they just lost years of work- wouldn't that make those same people quit since the outcome wasn't what they personally wanted? 

Exactly. No matter what people will be leaving. Regardless of the decision.

2 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

No definitely not. This is an official release. It is a special time. Something that happens only once. It is nice to have a fresh game to start playing once it officially releases.

once released, it is considered a brand new game and the price of a brand new game. The thing is it needs to actually be a brand new game. Not a clustered, used game. 

all I am saying is I would be pissed if I bought a new game and found out everybody already had everything, I mean right?

So the argument for a wipe because of new players is null and void. It would be a benefit of a wipe at launch but not a reason to wipe. There are much better arguments than that. Not that i want one

As it stands the game is not complete and I believe won't even be at launch with much more content coming at and after launch. 

I wouldnt be pissed because people have worked for it, put up with the glitches and what not. Again I will say it if I bought this game at Christmas people will have 'everything'. Heck who even has 'everything' I have been playing for ages and barely started meddling with boss's.

8 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

I think they main reason people don't like it is because they want to be able to go there and terrorize the new guys. 

Thats why I was wanting the wipe so bad, even though it will eventually be the same end result. But hey if they can find some way to do it then heck do it.

I think maybe (just maybe) on PVP but it depends on sever but your so wrong on PVE most players just get on with what they are doing maybe helping newbies out when they can

9 minutes ago, Kroziarch said:

if they were associated with anyone duping dinos or items yes, They need to be punished Im personally sick of it. you see your teamates duping leave the team, dont cheat. I'm not saying rat your friends out but dont get mixed in with it. especially those in megatribes turning blind eyes when 90% of their stuff now comes from this glitch. they dont even farm, their farmers dupe items. its unfortunate but im tired of this game being abused by those who feel the need to cheat. if they want to cheat play singleplayer.

They keep server logs of everything and please don't be mistaken in thinking that these people are going to be left to the anarchy disipline of beta. But honestly, if I was using any glitch right now I would stop.. personally. Everything might change come aug 8th and let's face it.. you only have one MAC address and copy of the game

Just now, Insomniak said:

They keep server logs of everything and please don't be mistaken in thinking that these people are going to be left to the anarchy disipline of beta. But honestly, if I was using any glitch right now I would stop.. personally. Everything might change come aug 8th and let's face it.. you only have one MAC address and copy of the game

if the devs were smart they would make a patch that kills or wipes anyone who uses the glitches, like a virus but in the form of a tweak to their game hide it in the patch and they will use the glitches still then it will be too late.

3 minutes ago, Tyx2 said:

I think maybe (just maybe) on PVP but it depends on sever but your so wrong on PVE most players just get on with what they are doing maybe helping newbies out when they can

Yeah, I have said multiple times I try not to speak in the matter of pve since I don't play it. Of course if someone gets on hear talking poop I will get riled up and throw pve in there as well because they are trying to be smug. I am indifferent towards pve so I don't really have anything else to say to that.

btw, way too many people are quoting me on multiple threads so if I miss your quote and don't reply, sorry in advance.

17 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

No definitely not. This is an official release. It is a special time. Something that happens only once. It is nice to have a fresh game to start playing once it officially releases.

once released, it is considered a brand new game and the price of a brand new game. The thing is it needs to actually be a brand new game. Not a clustered, used game. 

all I am saying is I would be pissed if I bought a new game and found out everybody already had everything, I mean right?

true.. and you know it was originally planned for them to wipe it anyways. and id be pissed if I just bought it and get imprisoned by a team in Tek for days on end...

4 minutes ago, Kroziarch said:

true.. and you know it was originally planned for them to wipe it anyways. and id be pissed if I just bought it and get imprisoned by a team in Tek for days on end...

Yeah I think they told people a year ago that they wouldn't to keep people here. They needed testers and like a lot of people said they wouldn't have put as much time in. Where else can you find thousands of hours of free employment? 

You cant really blame them though.

Problem #1. Duping/Exploits

people can say all they want about the wipe but the fact of the matter is, if duping and eploits cannot be found, patched, and prevented in future; then wipes are completely pointless.

If exploits are still possible after a wipe, this is even more reason for people to use them to get back everything they lost. Then what? Daily or hourly rollbacks? The launch would be a nightmare. So It's an endless cycle. Cut it off at the head. Us as players can and have aided in reporting tribes doing exploits. Keep those reports flowing! I ask WC to keep on top of their support tickets involving these types of things.

In a way the wipeing is only a bandaid, the true root of the problem is to find the dupers, ban them, fix the exploits and everyone can live happily ever after moving forward.

Problem #2. Lagg caused by massive structures from established tribes, many tamed dinos on servers, etc.

Again, wiping is only a bandaid, how long will server performance last by being fresh? After 1 year the servers will be back to the laggy, rubber banding, minute long screen freezing, minute long delay to mount/dismount mess they currently are.
Spoil timers: These are thousands upon millions of calculations that need to be sent and received, saved and loaded; causing massive stress on the server for every little item.
Fix the lag, by optimizing the code, and all the fancy client side/server side stuff, Optimize how things render, fix dinos glitching through the floor, etc
I'm no programmer but im sure there is people out there who know more about what needs to be changed/improved that could maybe chime in or already have.

I had a GM come to my server once and at first, he couldnt even join it. Once he finally got into the server after countless tries. After being able to join he couldn't even use his admin commands.

Wipe is the last resort but in order to arrive at that option, things need to be fixed first.

1 hour ago, Volcano637 said:

Talking about NEW players.

I started at isolated ragnarok. And at day 300-350 got raided by wyvens and griffins. How do u think which base will new players have at day 350? There are almost no difference for new players being raided with just breeded wyverns lvl 120 or old lvl 250 gigas. 

I see the only one way to "protect" new players - open new cluster specially for players who will buy game after release.

1 hour ago, Specter229 said:

Of course they will want to play with the more experienced players. Who's gonna answer their questions if they are struggling to tame something? I haven't had trouble finding any place to build or start on most of the servers I've played on. Even the PvP servers haven't given me as much trouble as I read about in these forums. I really don't understand your logic. How many people buy the game start on a new server and ask for help? Most people even provide the help, I do. Sometimes it's ok to lose a dino or two to give someone a fighting chance. You may not be trying to but your coming off as a salty individual who hates the current playerbase. All your arguments are to punish the early adopters. So I ask what happened that made you so salty.

Been wondering the same thing this whole time definitely an underlying reason for the salt very curious

Can we come off this protect the new players kick there is no way to take away the expirience people have got over the passed 2 years and put them on a level playing field with someone completely new to the game new points are needed for the argument both ways

also making servers just for new players is not a realistic solution as nothing stops old players from going there no matter how you spin it

1 hour ago, js17 said:

Talking about NEW players.

I started at isolated ragnarok. And at day 300-350 got raided by wyvens and griffins. How do u think which base will new players have at day 350? There are almost no difference for new players being raided with just breeded wyverns lvl 120 or old lvl 250 gigas. 

I see the only one way to "protect" new players - open new cluster specially for players who will buy game after release.

Sounds like a plan. But just remember the key words are "after release sales only" which means the old players will never be able to go there unless they want to buy the game again

1 hour ago, OGCookies said:

Can we come off this protect the new players kick there is no way to take away the expirience people have got over the passed 2 years and put them on a level playing field with someone completely new to the game new points are needed for the argument both ways

also making servers just for new players is not a realistic solution as nothing stops old players from going there no matter how you spin it

True but if the were only for after release sales then not that many of them would go over there. That is a perfect solution actually, I just don't think they will do that even though they should.

2 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

True but if the were only for after release sales then not that many of them would go over there. That is a perfect solution actually, I just don't think they will do that even though they should.

You underestimate the dedication of the mega/alpha tribes out there. Many of them already own multiple copies of the game. Especially now that crafting skill is so important and that you can't mindwipe once max level. Every mega / alpha tribe worth their salt has a couple of max level crafting skill characters for tribe crafting use of high end items. They won't hesitate to buy a new copy to bring their name to glory on the new servers.

1 hour ago, OGCookies said:

New servers will have to be made just to accommodate not only the new influx, but player levels right now are naturally low due to the time of year. When summer is over and it starts getting colder everyone will be waiting in que again and we will bitch and complain about how it used to be ( right now). I wouldn't be at all surprised to see all the new servers transfer disabled for a time like scorch was at launch with a "recommended" by them for newcomers.. of coarse this will be temporary. If the dev team is that worried about new launch players being able to establish anything in pvp they can just enable full time ORP on their character for a few weeks .. any pvp server.

1 minute ago, lvirusl said:

You underestimate the dedication of the mega/alpha tribes out there. Many of them already own multiple copies of the game. Especially now that crafting skill is so important and that you can't mindwipe once max level. Every mega / alpha tribe worth their salt has a couple of max level crafting skill characters for tribe crafting use of high end items. They won't hesitate to buy a new copy to bring their name to glory on the new servers.

Ok dude, and if they want to do that then nobody can stop them. Atleast it will make wildcard more money.

i am not sure how much glory there is in proving you don't have a life though. If you can start from scratch on the ew servers and still maintain power on the old ones then they have way too much time on their hands. Borderline depressing.

i live 5 minutes from the beach lol there is i way I am spending that much time do that.

and to tell you the truth. The wipe is still one of the best ways to go. It will be good for them right? They will be able to build up all of those multiple accounts again ?

1 minute ago, Volcano637 said:

Ok dude, and if they want to do that then nobody can stop them. Atleast it will make wildcard more money.

i am not sure how much glory there is in proving you don't have a life though. If you can start from scratch on the ew servers and still maintain power on the old ones then they have way too much time on their hands. Borderline depressing.

i live 5 minutes from the beach lol there is i way I am spending that much time do that.

and to tell you the truth. The wipe is still one of the best ways to go. It will be good for them right? They will be able to build up all of those multiple accounts again ?

They too have lives, it is easy to maintain a large tribe when you have hundreds of members. Your don't need to play 8 hours a day to make a good mega tribes. many hands make light work.

1 minute ago, lvirusl said:

They too have lives, it is easy to maintain a large tribe when you have hundreds of members. Your don't need to play 8 hours a day to make a good mega tribes. many hands make light work.

All I have been hearing from big tribes, even mine, is that they never get any sleep and that they are always grinding for the next raid. I don't think I have played on a weekend since I have started the game a year and a half ago

why should  long time players be penalised by a wipe because of new players?

New players come and go frequently in every game... ark has been here awhile now..  vets have stuck through  bug after bug.. test after test  lag after lag.. good and bad.. they have stuck it!! Penalising them with a wipe... for the people who have had ample time to get in on the long haul train but chose  to wait for release for their own reasons just seems bad form to me... you want a good base.. u wanna be alpha.. u want good dinos.. then work at it... yes arks a game.. but there should be values and principals to it .. 

4 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

All I have been hearing from big tribes, even mine, is that they never get any sleep and that they are always grinding for the next raid. I don't think I have played on a weekend since I have started the game a year and a half ago

Except the time where you said all they talk about is taking over the new servers, but you also said your in a tribe of two- one being you? But then again you haven't played for three weeks by your own recent admission so how exactly do you know anything about what's going on in game? 

4 minutes ago, skyewolfe said:

why should  long time players be penalised by a wipe because of new players?

New players come and go frequently in every game... ark has been here awhile now..  vets have stuck through  bug after bug.. test after test  lag after lag.. good and bad.. they have stuck it!! Penalising them with a wipe... for the people who have had ample time to get in on the long haul train but chose  to wait for release for their own reasons just seems bad form to me... you want a good base.. u wanna be alpha.. u want good dinos.. then work at it... yes arks a game.. but there should be values and principals to it .. 

No worries 

• GP locked this topic

Archived