Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

Wildcard is preparing for the release of ARK. I'm sure this is super exciting for them. In these coming months, Wildcard will patch, fix and nerf any exploits that otherwise weren't necessarily important during the 'Early Access' stage of the game. 

Whilst to many, ARK is already a finished title with man excellent features. We have to remember that this is ultimately one of the biggest 'BETA' testing opportunities whilst still bringing revenue to continue development. Development is not cheap. Hardware, Staff and other overheads will simply not pay for themselves. I do applause Wildcard for approaching this in the way they have and cutting the 'Pay to Win' microtransactions. It's refreshing and I believe many will agree.

I myself have racked up a good 2500 hours in ARK and at first, I felt angry and annoyed at nerfs and the possibility of losing so much work all because Wildcard wanted to release their game.

However, There are issues with this game and they do need addressing before going ahead with the full release.

1) Hundreds of servers with little to no player or community

2) A lot of duplicated items/ dinos and more. 

3) Previous exploits that have caused issues and ongoing issues.

As a developer by trade myself. I believe starting a fresh when ARK goes 'Live' can allow for more positivity than negativity.

1) Concentrate on quality of server hardware and pump funding into better servers, greater optimisation and Load Balancing servers where needed.

2) Currently, we see dinos and items and 'Being Nerfed'. Everyone has an equal playing field if everyone starts fresh and will learn to know no better.

3) For many it will bring the survival aspect back to Ark as now, ARK is more about feeding dinos than playing the game. This will not get better by leaving people how they are.

Now. Will people leave ARK if Wildcard wipes the servers? Yes. Most likely. I mean I can understand why and I understand the PR challenges Wildcard as an organisation will face doing this. But for the greater good and the future proofing of this game, It's best to do this now than any point after release.

I also don't think it's a bad idea for a small fee per month for those who wish to play official servers. Wildcard is still an organisation that HAS to be profitable and self-sustaining. Otherwise, where is our game and our continued support down the line? I don't see this as a microtransaction. I honestly see this as pillar to support the game in the future,

Let me know your opinions and why. I'm really interested if people agree or disagree with my thoughts ^^

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Jerryn locked this topic
3 hours ago, Bergie699 said:

Who really care if the Alpha's get wiped at least then everybody will be on a even playing field.

Those same "alpha's" (I've always hated that term because it implies superiority) will then take even greater pleasure in making it totally and completely impossible for any new player to get established because they will blame the new players for their loss. As for everyone being on an even playing field.... that will only happen if they take the game as we know it and completely change every aspect of it. I have over 4800+ hours in this game. I know which dinos are going to be the most benificial early on, which engrams I'll need, which stats will help me survive at a low level... not to mention I know the best places to build, best plaves to collect resources, and the most effective ways to tame the dinos I'll need to make surviving a lot easier. So the thought of an even/equal playing field can honestly never happen.

1 hour ago, Jonopeo said:

However, There are issues with this game and they do need addressing before going ahead with the full release.

1) Could you please be a little more specific ?

2) A problem in a vast majority of games. The easiest way to deal with it would be for players to report anyone they catch doing it.

3) Another problem in a vast majority of games, the solution is the same as number 2.

As a developer by trade myself. I believe starting a fresh when ARK goes 'Live' can allow for more positivity than negativity.

1) Concentrate on quality of server hardware and pump funding into better servers, greater optimisation and Load Balancing servers where needed.

2) Currently, we see dinos and items and 'Being Nerfed'. Everyone has an equal playing field if everyone starts fresh and will learn to know no better.

3) For many it will bring the survival aspect back to Ark as now, ARK is more about feeding dinos than playing the game. This will not get better by leaving people how they are.

1) They have been optimizing performance with nearly every update/patch and they have mentioned new servers along with "repurposing" low pop servers upon release.

2) Those that have been playing have the advantage because of their knowledge and experience.

3) I do something different every day to keep the gameplay fresh. I know of several other players that do the same thing.

Now. Will people leave ARK if Wildcard wipes the servers? Yes. Most likely. I mean I can understand why and I understand the PR challenges Wildcard as an organisation will face doing this. But for the greater good and the future proofing of this game, It's best to do this now than any point after release.

I also don't think it's a bad idea for a small fee per month for those who wish to play official servers. Wildcard is still an organisation that HAS to be profitable and self-sustaining. Otherwise, where is our game and our continued support down the line? I don't see this as a microtransaction. I honestly see this as pillar to support the game in the future,

Yes wiping the servers would be one way to drive a very large number of players away and create a public relations nightmare for WC. Word of mouth can seriously hurt the reputation of anything. 

The thought of a monthly fee will never work because it will never be done on XBox. So if they would implement this idea it would only be on PC and Playstation which would in turn result in a public relations nightmare for WC.

I have seen so many people say that a server wipe is needed but I have yet to see a valid reason why. There will always be people that dupe and exploit glitches, taking everything away from the players that have been here and "paid their dues" will do more harm than good because now they will be unable to be as helpful to those new players coming in. Not to mention the fact that those older players that are all built up are the very same ones that are holding the "trolls" (not my choice of words for these people but it fits) at bay from coming in and completely ruining the game for everyone on the servers.

2 hours ago, Jonopeo said:

Wildcard is preparing for the release of ARK. I'm sure this is super exciting for them. In these coming months, Wildcard will patch, fix and nerf any exploits that otherwise weren't necessarily important during the 'Early Access' stage of the game. 

Whilst to many, ARK is already a finished title with man excellent features. We have to remember that this is ultimately one of the biggest 'BETA' testing opportunities whilst still bringing revenue to continue development. Development is not cheap. Hardware, Staff and other overheads will simply not pay for themselves. I do applause Wildcard for approaching this in the way they have and cutting the 'Pay to Win' microtransactions. It's refreshing and I believe many will agree.

I myself have racked up a good 2500 hours in ARK and at first, I felt angry and annoyed at nerfs and the possibility of losing so much work all because Wildcard wanted to release their game.

Let me know your opinions and why. I'm really interested if people agree or disagree with my thoughts ^^

We have a history of "equal playing fields" in ARK. SE had an "equal playing field." The PvE servers were covered in pillars and there was constant kiting of animals to other bases in order to acquire better/more land. In PvP it was similar but with direct attacks between players.

Same thing has happened with new maps each time.

As for item duplicators, once they lose everything do you know what they'll do? Duplicate, duplicate, duplicate. They've wiped before and the duplicators just kept duplicating.

To those who want a wipe:

Instead of sharing your hopes and dreams for what you believe a wipe will accomplish how about looking at what happened in similar scenarios or even wipes in the past? We have plenty of evidence pointing to a release wipe being a bad idea. I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary.

5 minutes ago, Dark2084 said:
2 hours ago, Jonopeo said:

Yes wiping the servers would be one way to drive a very large number of players away and create a public relations nightmare for WC. Word of mouth can seriously hurt the reputation of anything. 

Don't forget reviews. I tend to ignore positive reviews when looking at games. Both positive and negative reviews are biased but negative ones tend to be more truthful. If someone enjoys something they try to share it with others and they might even bend the truth a bit.

Anyway, my point is that after the past two major controversial events, the release of the SE DLC to an unfinished game and the flyer nerf, the overall reviews took a noticeable hit. SE brought ARK down from very positive reviews to mostly positive. The flyer nerf brought it down from mostly positive to mixed. A release wipe will definitely, in my opinion, be the most controversial of all. Once a game drops to mostly negative or lower it's extremely challenging to ever recover. Especially with so many reviews as ARK has.

I make it a point never to purchase a game that has mostly negative reviews or lower. Why take a risk with my money when there are so many games with much better reputations? I'm also leery of games with mixed reviews so ARK right now would give me pause if I was someone who hadn't played it before.

17 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

Don't forget reviews. I tend to ignore positive reviews when looking at games. Both positive and negative reviews are biased but negative ones tend to be more truthful. If someone enjoys something they try to share it with others and they might even bend the truth a bit.

Anyway, my point is that after the past two major controversial events, the release of the SE DLC to an unfinished game and the flyer nerf, the overall reviews took a noticeable hit. SE brought ARK down from very positive reviews to mostly positive. The flyer nerf brought it down from mostly positive to mixed. A release wipe will definitely, in my opinion, be the most controversial of all. Once a game drops to mostly negative or lower it's extremely challenging to ever recover. Especially with so many reviews as ARK has.

I make it a point never to purchase a game that has mostly negative reviews or lower. Why take a risk with my money when there are so many games with much better reputations? I'm also leery of games with mixed reviews so ARK right now would give me pause if I was someone who hadn't played it before.

That is the part where people forget that this is an EA game and Wildcard holds the right and rightfully so to wipe. The PR aspect of it is a given but under no circumstance should ever weigh a rightful decision for a developer. 

I don't believe a negative review because the game studio released the game and wanted everyone on an equal playing field is something the weighs a decision. It will you're right. But for most, it will not.

In relation to your statement about people will continue to dupe. Yes, they will. It's impossible to patch every loophole. But wildcard should work on their current vulnerabilities and patch them. But at the same time, it's more fool the dupers who want to literally take away every aspect of the game away.#

Would you rather they released the game with duped items already in existence and with everyone already having a piece of the cake? Or would you rather they have to bake the cake and then distribute it? Of course they should make them cakes harder to bake and distribute but unfortunately, like I said, you can never patch everything. No company has ever done it and I doubt they ever will. Perhaps it just needs more policing. But that's up to wildcard to figure out how they want to approach that and how they want to justify resources to address it.

28 minutes ago, Jonopeo said:

That is the part where people forget that this is an EA game and Wildcard holds the right and rightfully so to wipe. The PR aspect of it is a given but under no circumstance should ever weigh a rightful decision for a developer. 

I don't believe a negative review because the game studio released the game and wanted everyone on an equal playing field is something the weighs a decision. It will you're right. But for most, it will not.

In relation to your statement about people will

continue to dupe. Yes, they will. It's impossible to patch every loophole. But wildcard should work on their current vulnerabilities and patch them. But at the same time, it's more fool the dupers who want to literally take away every aspect of the game away.#

Would you rather they released the game with duped items already in existence and with everyone already having a piece of the cake? Or would you rather they have to bake the cake and then distribute it? Of course they should make them cakes harder to bake and distribute but unfortunately, like I said, you can never patch everything. No company has ever done it and I doubt they ever will. Perhaps it just needs more policing. But that's up to wildcard to figure out how they want to approach that and how they want to justify resources to address it.

I've never forgotten it's early access. Wildcard can do what they want but the players can do what they want in response. :D

30 minutes ago, Jonopeo said:

There's that phrase again. Impossible to actually achieve. Impossible to even come close.

32 minutes ago, Jonopeo said:

Yes, I would like the duplicators to keep their piece of the cake so that all the other players can keep their meager pieces of it. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say a wipe would be a 4 on the inconvenience scale to someone who duplicates items. Maybe a 3. For the average player, especially one with several hundred or even thousands of hours, it's more like an 8 or 9.

Wiping the playerbase to hopefully discourage a few cheaters is silly to put it politely.

6 hours ago, Bergie699 said:

i have played ark for over 1300 hours and I really hope there should be a server wipe. Who really care if the Alpha's get wiped at least then everybody will be on a even playing field.

For a few days.. then they come to your base, And then you will come here crying and asking for next server wipe.

It is quite ridiculous really to be upset by a wipe. Mega tribe stops by your server and wipes you tomorrow what would you do?! Better to off it all and shard everything into sets rather than wholesale open market and have that early server activity. I miss those earlier days pre transfers pre numerous explotations. Hell i would return to official play if they wiped 

4 hours ago, Jonopeo said:

This is the best thread I've read in any thread, ever!

People, read what this man has to say. I have over 3k hours in ark myself, and I agree 1000% with this guy. 

4 hours ago, Jonopeo said:

1) That has nothing to do with a wipe. You can migrate your savefiles to new bare metal, and/or internally optimize it without breaking nothing. Sure you are a developer?

2) You will see that kind of dinos after wipe. If they are legit will take some weeks with current rates. If they are not, will take less than a week if not days. Fixing old exploit does not mean fixing current or future one.

3) They already doing changes to encourage survability like nerfing speed on tames and chars. And no wipe has been needed to do that, just stat reset.

Most likely ppl will leave ARK on day 1, not without writing his bad reviews on steam saying the boss of wildcard lied to have alpha/beta testers playing during develop phase. ¿Does Jeremy want to see his message about no wipe in every bad review cause of making 4 boys happy? Dont think so. That is a risk for investors that put his money on a brand managed by a person (Jeremy), that formerly stated there will be no wipe. This is not only a risk for the future of ARK, also for WildCard itself. Rumors are just that, and must not be taken into account. The only official statement about wipes stated there will not be wipe on release.

11 minutes ago, arkark said:

1) That has nothing to do with a wipe. You can migrate your savefiles to new bare metal, and/or internally optimize it without breaking nothing. Sure you are a developer?

2) You will see that kind of dinos after wipe. If they are legit will take some weeks with current rates. If they are not, will take less than a week if not days. Fixing old exploit does not mean fixing current or future one.

3) They already doing changes to encourage survability like nerfing speed on tames and chars. And no wipe has been needed to do that, just stat reset.

Most likely ppl will leave ARK on day 1, not without writing his bad reviews on steam saying the boss of wildcard lied to have alpha/beta testers playing during develop phase. ¿Does Jeremy want to see his message about no wipe in every bad review cause of making 4 boys happy? Dont think so. That is a risk for investors that put his money on a brand managed by a person (Jeremy), that formerly stated there will be no wipe. This is not only a risk for the future of ARK, also for WildCard itself. Rumors are just that, and must not be taken into account. The only official statement about wipes stated there will not be wipe on release.

If you're going to take 700 servers down to 100 for example. Yes, you would wipe. Pretty sure I know my occupation thanks ;) Otherwise please explain your thinking behind this. I'm interested.

This is not about making '4 boys happy'. This is about making a sustainable environment for players to use. You don't take a development environment which is essentially a test server and place it live with every pre-existant buggy code and known exploit. That is a clear bad use of core and branch management. 

I stated this will be a tough PR choice for Wildcard as a brand. Wildcard also reserves the right to change their decisions about wipes. 

Whilst exploits will always be in existence. It's time for a spring clean. At the end of the day. There are perhaps better ways Wildcard could look at optimising some of these core issues that they have been presented with through their EA stage. Wiping the servers would allow them to iron out most the issues.

People are saying you can't have an even playing field or close to it? What's a wipe? Does it clear servers and give some tribes bases and Dino's? No...so everyone starts out the same? Yeah? Even playing field. Oh no, those guys know how to play...so unfair. Well folks that's what we get, and should be all we get, aside from skins, from paying to play a game in early access.

Other games wipe, its not our fault some people have adopted ark as their new religion and dedicated 1k+ hours to it. It was their choice. I believe common practice among ea games is a wipe. Betas, wipe. Alphas, wipe. 

About the dupers, well the optimizations are rolling out now, wipe them servers, WC can watch for duplicating stuff. Whether its weird code, following up on players complaints. Then they can start doing some serious bans. Whole tribe bans. IP bans, game bans. Just bans in general. If they hold to it and continue to ban, people will stop, or all the dupers will be removed.

As far as alphas being well....alphas again...well honestly, if you haven't/can't beat them now, wouldn't it be easier if a wipe occurred, and you both started with nothing. Sure they have manpower n knowledge, but no items. You could cripple them again and again. Offline first day, second..who they gonna call for help? Their other alpha/mega buddies who also started with nothing? Trust me, the non alphas are by far the larger population in ark. 

If you guys just use your brains, you will see a wipe is for the best. Sure a lot will quit. But a lot more will join. More alphas that quit means it'll be less likely your in the same boat you are now...just saying.

1 minute ago, Jonopeo said:

If you're going to take 700 servers down to 100 for example. Yes, you would wipe. Pretty sure I know my occupation thanks ;) Otherwise please explain your thinking behind this. I'm interested.

This is not about making '4 boys happy'. This is about making a sustainable environment for players to use. You don't take a development environment which is essentially a test server and place it live with every pre-existant buggy code and known exploit. That is a clear bad use of core and branch management. 

I stated this will be a tough PR choice for Wildcard as a brand. Wildcard also reserves the right to change their decisions about wipes. 

Whilst exploits will always be in existence. It's time for a spring clean. At the end of the day. There are perhaps better ways Wildcard could look at optimising some of these core issues that they have been presented with through their EA stage. Wiping the servers would allow them to iron out most the issues.

Cause the reason you gave "Concentrate on quality of server hardware and pump funding into better servers, greater optimisation and Load Balancing servers where needed." has nothing to do with wiping the servers. Quality of server hardware and pump funding into better servers, greater optimisation and Load Balancing servers where needed can be perfectly done without wipe.

Its like to say, I want to migrate from SQLServer to Oracle, and I have to wipe the DB... No, not needed. You convert the data to new format in case you change, and you are ready. Technical problems is not the case here. I've migrated services with more than 20 years working 24h from one architecture to another and not a single bit was lost. I've also migrated a full bank from one kind of plataform to another, and I assure you that the clients did not lost a single cent. ¿Why changing servers would imply wipe? Non sense, thats why I asked.

As I said, fixing the known exploits that everybody know because there are hundreds of videos on youtube showing how to do, does not guarantee there are not game glitches being exploited in the wild, by a reduced number of ppl. And also, nothing is exploit proof. Nothing. So you dont guarantee nothing by doing a wipe.

36 minutes ago, arkark said:

Cause the reason you gave "Concentrate on quality of server hardware and pump funding into better servers, greater optimisation and Load Balancing servers where needed." has nothing to do with wiping the servers. Quality of server hardware and pump funding into better servers, greater optimisation and Load Balancing servers where needed can be perfectly done without wipe.

Its like to say, I want to migrate from SQLServer to Oracle, and I have to wipe the DB... No, not needed. You convert the data to new format in case you change, and you are ready. Technical problems is not the case here. I've migrated services with more than 20 years working 24h from one architecture to another and not a single bit was lost. I've also migrated a full bank from one kind of plataform to another, and I assure you that the clients did not lost a single cent. ¿Why changing servers would imply wipe? Non sense, thats why I asked.

As I said, fixing the known exploits that everybody know because there are hundreds of videos on youtube showing how to do, does not guarantee there are not game glitches being exploited in the wild, by a reduced number of ppl. And also, nothing is exploit proof. Nothing. So you dont guarantee nothing by doing a wipe.

Bravo, However. My point from is remove 600 servers and concentrate resources into creating a load balanced solution whereby you're not having 700 pathetic budget hosted servers. You want 100 servers as an example ballpark number that function. The only way to fit 700 servers of players, dinos and entities into 100 is by wiping. Am I right?

5 hours ago, Jonopeo said:

I totally agree with this. I'm a player that's had to undergo about 6 or 7 'wipes' due to me trying to find the right unofficial server. Every time there was a wipe, it's been a whole new and fresh adventure. Everyone who's afraid of a wipe are too use to their comfort zones up at endgame and are too afraid of your 'wasted' 1k or more hours. People...those hours weren't wasted. You got knowledge and strategies that no nooblet just starting will have.

To all of you too that are claiming 'Don't do a wipe because alpha's will just become alpha's again in no time'? You are absolutely correct! And if I was WC, that would make me wanna wipe the servers MORE. Why? Because wiping will be the better thing for the new players who get ARK on release, and if starting fresh will barely hurt you alpha's then I doubt WC see's any downside other than the potential PR reviews that'll hit Steam from butthurt players who feel they are self-entitled to keep their progress because they played it during Early Access.

But man if I was a player who started out with ARK (and I am), with 1k hours, and I put a negative review on the game upon release because they 'wiped all my progress this ONE time for release', please...that shouldn't dishearten any person who reads your comment, you'd just look like a crybaby. WC isn't gonna wipe again after release. Plus you'd just look like a self-entitled whiner. If you love ARK as a game, and it shows by how many hours you put in...you'd see why WC would do a one time wipe. Any person who looks at a review from someone with THAT many hours? shucks if they stuck with it for 3k hours the game mustn't be THAT bad. It's logic. Shame that logic is kinda lacking in this generation.

4 minutes ago, Jonopeo said:

Bravo, However. My point from is remove 600 servers and concentrate resources into creating a load balanced solution whereby you're not having 700 pathetic budget hosted servers. You want 100 servers as an example ballpark number that function. The only way to fit 700 servers of players, dinos and entities into 100 is by wiping. Am I right?

That will lead to what happened with Ragnarok launch. Servers 70/70 all the time. And when u able to login, all is pillared. You know what I did with ragnarok? Waited for my opportunity to join, then tamed a bunch of high level griffins, then moved to island and give up Ragnarok. When I can see those game server monitoring webpages that there are servers with average 20-30 free slots all the time I may consider playing there. And only in case everything is not mass pillared.

Its a consequence of what you are proposing. You have 700 servers, and sure if you play ark you know that in each server there is always some tribe that mass pilar all the space they can. Imagine reducing 700 to 100. You will have 7 of those troll tribes on every server. Unberable. Servers will be pillared in hours the first day an legit players wont be able to enjoy the game. That mean bad reviews.

Also, dont reinvent the wheel. Read what Jeremy stated:

we will keep existing active Official Servers as they are post-ship -- no wipe -- though at ship we may at our discretion re-purpose certain empty or near-empty Official Servers with 1 month prior warning (we'll provide archives to data of such servers if anyone wishes to re-host).. New Servers will be ADDED to help accommodate new players at that time; we can afford it ;)

So, some near-empty servers may be removed, but they will give a month to move things. But only applies to near-empty servers. Not all.

6 hours ago, Jonopeo said:

I like everything except the monthly fee (being on console)

I won't pay a monthly fee for a game on top of paying for xbox live, I just won't do it, would have never bought ESO if they'd had kept that model, and wouldn't play Ark ever again if it did...I understand them needing to keep making money, but this is part of the reason I play console, I get 1 fee for all my online playing options

console games, traditionally, make their money on new content (some have definitely adopted micros, but as long as those aren't required to play, I don't take issue) and that's a model I've always enjoyed and am willing to support financially

51 minutes ago, Ulta said:

But man if I was a player who started out with ARK (and I am), with 1k hours, and I put a negative review on the game upon release because they 'wiped all my progress this ONE time for release', please...that shouldn't dishearten any person who reads your comment, you'd just look like a crybaby. WC isn't gonna wipe again after release. Plus you'd just look like a self-entitled whiner. If you love ARK as a game, and it shows by how many hours you put in...you'd see why WC would do a one time wipe. Any person who looks at a review from someone with THAT many hours? shucks if they stuck with it for 3k hours the game mustn't be THAT bad. It's logic. Shame that logic is kinda lacking in this generation.

I love all the people who act like the reviews don't matter LoL in the real world they do. Yes there are a select few that really pay no heed to what current reviews say before they pay 50 to 70 $$ for a game but I don't know anyone like that (I'm sure you do ) If they wipe the reviews are not going to sound like a "self-entitled whiner" they are going to sound like people giving bad reviews because they were LIED TO (since you spew on about what's lacking in this generation) Honesty and integrity are lacking and when people find out that certain people or areas are lacking honesty and integrity they generally back away and avoid these areas/people... (do you not???) So IF they go back on their official word (No Wipe) they will burn the people that trusted them to be honest and to have integrity and they will then pay the price for that. I certainly wouldn't have spent the time I have in this game and put up with the issues had Jeremy not stated clearly that there was no wipe upon release... you know what I bet I'm far from alone with that. So you can bet my review won't sound like a "self-entitled whiner" it'll be packed with quotes and reasons to avoid this game and anything else wildcard does and they'll be plenty more just like my review. End result will be a PR catastrophe that this game will suffer from as will wildcard overall.

I seriously doubt there will be a wipe at release because I firmly believe they will follow exactly what Jeremy said they will do as I believe they are honest and have integrity should they prove otherwise well read above... and we wait...

@Lucifina I do agree, it would be a bit of a 'lie' if they did do a wipe after Jeremy said they wouldn't. But that quote was how long ago? 1 YEAR.

Ark has changed a lot in one whole dang year, so much so that now any wipe or no wipe question aimed at a dev today have been met with either silence or 'we are still thinking about it'. So clearly something has happened in that 1 whole year that's making them go a bit silent on the matter.

This is a dang EA game, meaning it's subject to change at a moments notice. Sure that still would mean he lied, but really you are gonna hold THAT over his head? when you knew full well that it's an EA game and that change happens more than once? Now I'm wondering what else you'd pack into your review that you'll try to use to convince people to stay away...because AFTER release, players will NOT be experiencing what we Early Access people did. Ark will be solidified by then, so WC would have no reason to 'lie' about anything because it's all practically IN the game and no huge changes like wipes or blanket nerfs should happen. you'd basically be telling people to avoid this game because the devs fibbed or made changes to a game WHILE IT WAS STILL BEING MADE that you didn't' agree with. That's a completely selfish reason to try and keep players from getting a game that by then will not be changing anymore gameplay wise. So are you still going to tell me that you'll blindly post a negative review if the wipe does happen? Just because you feel you were lied to by a dev to a game that was in EA and just that one 'lie' on one subject that ONLY AFFECTED EA players?

We will wait and see for sure. Sparks are gonna fly if it does happen, and I have a feeling it's going to happen.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:32 PM, Volcano637 said:

Even though it's expensive putting admins on each server would actually be awesome. I would totally apply for that and then you wouldn't have to worry about not having space. I wouldn't allow pillars in the first place unless they were part of an actual base. Life would be good on that server

Would love to see this on official as well, however they would just be there unbiased to fix griefing and retrieve stuck dinos etc. .. maybe throw an event on the weekend like spawning in tons of 150 alphas and put a server at war with the wildlife. This would all be great but unfortunetely these perks come with a cost.. and unless everyone is willing to dish up a small sub fee it probably won't happen. 

3 minutes ago, Ulta said:

@Lucifina I do agree, it would be a bit of a 'lie' if they did do a wipe after Jeremy said they wouldn't. But that quote was how long ago? 1 YEAR.

Ark has changed a lot in one whole dang year, so much so that now any wipe or no wipe question aimed at a dev today have been met with either silence or 'we are still thinking about it'. So clearly something has happened in that 1 whole year that's making them go a bit silent on the matter.

This is a dang EA game, meaning it's subject to change at a moments notice. Sure that still would mean he lied, but really you are gonna hold THAT over his head? when you knew full well that it's an EA game and that change happens more than once? Now I'm wondering what else you'd pack into your review that you'll try to use to convince people to stay away...because AFTER release, players will NOT be experiencing what we Early Access people did. Ark will be solidified by then, so WC would have no reason to 'lie' about anything because it's all practically IN the game and no huge changes like wipes or blanket nerfs should happen. you'd basically be telling people to avoid this game because the devs fibbed or made changes to a game WHILE IT WAS STILL BEING MADE that you didn't' agree with. That's a completely selfish reason to try and keep players from getting a game that by then will not be changing anymore gameplay wise. So are you still going to tell me that you'll blindly post a negative review if the wipe does happen? Just because you feel you were lied to by a dev to a game that was in EA and just that one 'lie' on one subject that ONLY AFFECTED EA players?

We will wait and see for sure. Sparks are gonna fly if it does happen, and I have a feeling it's going to happen.

Everyone has their own code and that is fine but a lie is a lie trying to switch it around as not that serious really doesn't change my mind which is just me perhaps my review will be the only bad one posted and if so that is fine. I only speak for myself and add in the other views I have read on these forums and online. 

and yes I would hold it over his/their head as I stated in an earlier post had they come out at any point prior to this controversy starting and said guys/girls we have looked at our awesome game we made and have come to the conclusion we have to wipe at release I know we have said previously we would not but here are the reasons we feel we have to... we know this will not be supported by all but we hope this gives you time to make sound choices with how you proceed with the game... or something like this (but probably much more professional) had they done this I would be upset but fully understood and probably paused my game play and perhaps restarted at release... and they would still get a good review from me. As it is they have made NO OFFICIAL STATEMENT countering Jeremy's official no wipe statement so clearly it stands.

And to the game I seriously doubt (and you have to too) that this game will be running fantastic when official release hits LoL. The in game LAG alone makes me want to throw a controller ^$^&*%$ nothing better that pulling out your Alpha Killer Rex and engaging a level 50 Alpha Rex only to have it constantly lag behind/in/AHHHHHHH stop  and almost kill something that shouldn't have any issue killing it. I'll leave the other issues that we all know won't be fixed (LoL Pillars LoL) I had to write that :-)  so don't fear beside the honesty/integrity thing we'll have plenty to write up and add video/screenshots of the problems if it comes to that. These are the very things we've put up with since we were assured there would be no wipe...

2 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

Everyone has their own code and that is fine but a lie is a lie trying to switch it around as not that serious really doesn't change my mind which is just me perhaps my review will be the only bad one posted and if so that is fine. I only speak for myself and add in the other views I have read on these forums and online. 

and yes I would hold it over his/their head as I stated in an earlier post had they come out at any point prior to this controversy starting and said guys/girls we have looked at our awesome game we made and have come to the conclusion we have to wipe at release I know we have said previously we would not but here are the reasons we feel we have to... we know this will not be supported by all but we hope this gives you time to make sound choices with how you proceed with the game... or something like this (but probably much more professional) had they done this I would be upset but fully understood and probably paused my game play and perhaps restarted at release... and they would still get a good review from me. As it is they have made NO OFFICIAL STATEMENT countering Jeremy's official no wipe statement so clearly it stands.

And to the game I seriously doubt (and you have to too) that this game will be running fantastic when official release hits LoL. The in game LAG alone makes me want to throw a controller ^$^&*%$ nothing better that pulling out your Alpha Killer Rex and engaging a level 50 Alpha Rex only to have it constantly lag behind/in/AHHHHHHH stop  and almost kill something that shouldn't have any issue killing it. I'll leave the other issues that we all know won't be fixed (LoL Pillars LoL) I had to write that :-)  so don't fear beside the honesty/integrity thing we'll have plenty to write up and add video/screenshots of the problems if it comes to that. These are the very things we've put up with since we were assured there would be no wipe...

You mean the game still lags for you? It doesn't for me. Maybe you need to upgrade again, or change some launch settings. I can play it on my PC on near all epic and get about 40fps in my large base and 60-70 out in the wilds.

What if they made that official statement tomorrow? I highly doubt that if they actually do end up doing a wipe that they'll do it sooooo last minute. If they did that would be quite teh mistake.

Regardless, I've said my peace. I hope for a wipe and will not rage if they do (even if it affects my PVE, don't' care. I've gone through 6-7 wipes already and all it did was allow me to have fun with the game once more with a new journey on a new map if I so wanted). It's too stagnant at endgame and people need to remember what it's like to be lvl 1 again. It's not as bad as people are making it out to be. Oh woe is me, I gotta replay one of my most loved games. /sarcasm I can think of worse things they've done (I would say the mindwipe nerf, but lookie here next patch unofficials and private servers can change it back. Yay for us!)

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived