Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

1 hour ago, Volcano637 said:

Well keeping up the playerbase is good for business. You kind of gotta look at if from a business stand point.

yeah if I were you I would still keep your base. It will give you something to do until the release. If you are on console then ragnarok will be completely by soon

Even better for business is keeping the playerbase for when more DLC comes on sale.  Trust me they will lose close to half if there is a wipe because they can't be bothered starting again.

Sure you can say positive things about starting again and how people "shouldn't be selfish" and rebuild but the reality is a large part of the reason people keep playing instead of focusing on all the other great games out there just because of what they already have.  After a wipe suddenly they have nothing, no responsibility or attachement to the game and are free to explore the rest of their steam library.

Thats bad for business for WC.

Also did you find me any servers yet that have no space to build or what?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CaptoBraunch said:

WAAAAHHH lol looks like i hit the nail on the head with you no-lifers. Crows too. Youre a filthy hypocrite if you would quit forever after a wipe, period. Because you dont get that big without wiping your fair share of bases, probably many noobhuts and i guarantee you told any of them who called you out on your cowardice to "go play pve lolol" Isn't quitting a game forever because you have to start over childish and ignorant? lolol 4chan

^This seems to be the sentiment of the pro-wipe clique.  

3 hours ago, DeningWei said:

Even better for business is keeping the playerbase for when more DLC comes on sale.  Trust me they will lose close to half if there is a wipe because they can't be bothered starting again.

Sure you can say positive things about starting again and how people "shouldn't be selfish" and rebuild but the reality is a large part of the reason people keep playing instead of focusing on all the other great games out there just because of what they already have.  After a wipe suddenly they have nothing, no responsibility or attachement to the game and are free to explore the rest of their steam library.

Thats bad for business for WC.

Also did you find me any servers yet that have no space to build or what?

No, spending time with the kids for the next couple weeks. One day o might take the time to do that.

all that really matters is keeping the playerbase nice and high until release. If the game loses half the people but adding in the new people, yeah they will lose some mo way but there will still be enough people playing to keep them going n business. I seriously doubt they are shooting for a call of duty amount of player base. They will be fine

So here's a link to a dev Q&A featuring Wildcard at this year's E3. The link will bring you to the discussion of if the servers will be wiped for release. The dev says it's up in the air and they haven't decided anything.  

Now here's a link to an article from one year ago this month which, according to Jeremy Stieglitz, is that they won't be wiping servers and that is the "final word" on the matter. That of course raises the question of whether or not the company has just been stringing us along this entire time. If that was the actual final word then why not bring up that quote every time someone asked? Why did the dev team apparently change their minds about their "final word?"

http://www.inquisitr.com/3251817/ark-survival-evolved-servers-will-not-be-wiped-at-launch-depending-on-population/

The link says only some servers will be wiped but Stieglitz himself calls it re-purposing and that there will be no wipes.

• Volunteer Moderator

Thanks for pointing out the difference between Wildcard's stance 1 year ago and a recent interview with Ced for 100th time already. Things change people, as lot can change in 1 year. Yes it may have been their final word 1 year ago, doesn't mean its final forever and ever and ever, it was just final at that time.

9 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

So here's a link to a dev Q&A featuring Wildcard at this year's E3. The link will bring you to the discussion of if the servers will be wiped for release. The dev says it's up in the air and they haven't decided anything.  

Now here's a link to an article from one year ago this month which, according to Jeremy Stieglitz, is that they won't be wiping servers and that is the "final word" on the matter. That of course raises the question of whether or not the company has just been stringing us along this entire time. If that was the actual final word then why not bring up that quote every time someone asked? Why did the dev team apparently change their minds about their "final word?"

http://www.inquisitr.com/3251817/ark-survival-evolved-servers-will-not-be-wiped-at-launch-depending-on-population/

The link says only some servers will be wiped but Stieglitz himself calls it re-purposing and that there will be no wipes.

There still is a chance that they might not wipe though. I wouldn't worry about it for another month probably since there will still be almost 3 weeks left even after the month has passed.

as for me, I am a pro wiper and I am pretty sure it will happen. The thing is either way they won't tell us until later on.

opinions are definitely welcome in this thread and I am more than willing to discuss the subject with you if you would like.

15 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

There still is a chance that they might not wipe though. I wouldn't worry about it for another month probably since there will still be almost 3 weeks left even after the month has passed.

as for me, I am a pro wiper and I am pretty sure it will happen. The thing is either way they won't tell us until later on.

opinions are definitely welcome in this thread and I am more than willing to discuss the subject with you if you would like.

Nah. I'm good. Thank you.

I find it more amusing to discuss whether or not the people at Wildcard can be trusted about anything rather then specifically about whether or not they'll be wiping servers. They've already given their official and final statement on the matter in no uncertain terms. There will be no wiping. :D

If they do or do not wipe it'll go a long way towards showing people if their future products are even worth purchasing. I, myself, would avoid a company that flat out lies to its customers.

21 minutes ago, GP said:

Thanks for pointing out the difference between Wildcard's stance 1 year ago and a recent interview with Ced for 100th time already. Things change people, as lot can change in 1 year. Yes it may have been their final word 1 year ago, doesn't mean its final forever and ever and ever, it was just final at that time.

GP, a final word is final. There is nothing that comes after. Someone who gives their "final word" on a matter and then gives more words on that matter, is by definition, a liar. Their words are meaningless and cannot be trusted.

A final word is not final if it's not the final word.

Next up, we'll be discussing facts and alternative facts! :D

PS: That's why honest people avoid saying something is their final word on a matter unless it is actually their...final word on the matter. :D

7 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

Nah. I'm good. Thank you.

I find it more amusing to discuss whether or not the people at Wildcard can be trusted about anything rather then specifically about whether or not they'll be wiping servers. They've already given their official and final statement on the matter in no uncertain terms. There will be no wiping. :D

If they do or do not wipe it'll go a long way towards showing people if their future products are even worth purchasing. I, myself, would avoid a company that flat out lies to its customers.

GP, a final word is final. There is nothing that comes after. Someone who gives their "final word" on a matter and then gives more words on that matter, is by definition, a liar. Their words are meaningless and cannot be trusted.

A final word is not final if it's not the final word.

Next up, we'll be discussing facts and alternative facts! :D

PS: That's why honest people avoid saying something is their final word on a matter unless it is actually their...final word on the matter. :D

I used to hate onions and I would always swear up and down I would never like onions. Turns out years later I actually love them now. I was very sure that that was my final word then. It turns what I said was wrong. I wouldn't say I was a liar because at that time I really meant it.

now as for Jeremy, I truly believe that he meant it and wanted it that way then. That was also before the duping and other cheats were around. They are all over the place and have completely corrupted the game. They also probably thought it would be way longer than this before a release was even thought of. And now that it has come they also need to take the new players into consideration. All I am saying is that I am sure Jeremy was serious about it then, but sometimes things do change, it doesn't mean he was planning on wiping all along. I am not even going to use the whole early access thing as an excuse. I just know that sometimes things change and people change, but it doesn't necessarily make them a liar, just human.

• Volunteer Moderator
10 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

I used to hate onions and I would always swear up and down I would never like onions. Turns out years later I actually love them now. I was very sure that that was my final word then. It turns what I said was wrong. I wouldn't say I was a liar because at that time I really meant it.

now as for Jeremy, I truly believe that he meant it and wanted it that way then. That was also before the duping and other cheats were around. They are all over the place and have completely corrupted the game. They also probably thought it would be way longer than this before a release was even thought of. And now that it has come they also need to take the new players into consideration. All I am saying is that I am sure Jeremy was serious about it then, but sometimes things do change, it doesn't mean he was planning on wiping all along. I am not even going to use the whole early access thing as an excuse. I just know that sometimes things change and people change, but it doesn't necessarily make them a liar, just human.

The reason some people call Wildcard liars in relation to the wipe situation is because they don't know the reasons why things may have changed from a year ago. So instead they just claim they are liars. However, I am sure at the time of any possible announcement, if there is a change in decision that there would be a reason given.

19 minutes ago, GP said:

The reason some people call Wildcard liars in relation to the wipe situation is because they don't know the reasons why things may have changed from a year ago. So instead they just claim they are liars. However, I am sure at the time of any possible announcement, if there is a change in decision that there would be a reason given.

32 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Definition of liar

a person who tells lies has a reputation as a liar

Definition of lie

to create a false or misleading impression Statistics sometimes lie. The mirror neverlies.

Notice it doesn't say "to intentionally create a false or misleading impression"

What happened with Wildcard and whether or not you actually like onions is quite different. You just compared a promise with a preference. That makes absolutely no sense when you think about it. :D

"I, ___, take thee, ___, to be my wedded husband/wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith [or] pledge myself to you." compared to "I like apples."

Okay. This thread's kind of amusing too.

And that wedding vow is actually pretty good. A wedding vow is a promise and a statement. "This is our official statement and final word on the matter."

"I am a man of my word!"

"Aren't you cheating on your wife?"

About lies.

Devs don't want to lie i.e. say straight - no wipe. They know they are going to wipe. It's not in their interest to tell everyone now that they are going to do it. It's not good for their business,

Yes.. we older players that have been with them for so long feel betrayed, cheated... but hell.. it's just a game.

1 minute ago, Musketeer said:

I won't be even angry if they wipe the servers... Some of  us just need an excuse to leave the game. After so many hours I'm so bored of this game already. I only try new things, dinos - i.e. Yutys, Griffins.. I can't be bothered to do anything else. The game is broken.

Damn man. You're right. I'm sitting here thinking of all the people who just log in to reset timers on so many servers. Quite a few people I've played with for over a year are doing it on my own official server. They do seem to be waiting for a reason to finally give up this thing.

1 minute ago, Musketeer said:

About lies.

Devs don't want to lie i.e. say straight - no wipe. They know they are going to wipe. It's not in their interest to tell everyone now that they are going to do it. It's not good for their business,

Yes.. we older players that have been with them for so long feel betrayed, cheated... but hell.. it's just a game.

And I agree completely. I've noticed even in their patch notes in the past that they use doublespeak. A way to downplay things that'll tick people off. Most people tend to be smart enough not to straight out give an official statement like that though. Unfortunately for them one of their developers did that very thing.

A wipe is coming. They pretty much guaranteed it in the video when the article is taken into account. It's really the only reason to change their stance on the matter to undecided.

10 minutes ago, BossFi said:

Mega tribes are still duping. They are using the ark before they cause the server to rollback 30secs. I was told by ddos attacks.

All servers should be wiped! 

They probably cannot fix this issue, otherwise they would have done so along time ago. The method you describe has been used for over a year now. And when it gets too out of hand they just rollback a week.

So, you think all servers should get wiped just because a few bigger tribes dupe? Yeah sounds about right. Screw the people that have 100+ hours on the game and forget those that started out brand new on pvp servers and managed to get bigger over time without getting harassed by alpha tribes. As long as you get what YOU want and not what somebody else wants, after all this has ONLY been an issue since first release. Don't like how official servers are? Go to dedicated, it's an option for a reason.

2 minutes ago, McTayTay said:

So, you think all servers should get wiped just because a few bigger tribes dupe? Yeah sounds about right. Screw the people that have 100+ hours on the game and forget those that started out brand new on pvp servers and managed to get bigger over time without getting harassed by alpha tribes. As long as you get what YOU want and not what somebody else wants, after all this has ONLY been an issue since first release. Don't like how official servers are? Go to dedicated, it's an option for a reason.

here is the great response again, "dont like offical, go to dedicated"

why? why should players who like to play PVP Ark by the rules leave to go PVE or Dedicated because cheats dont like being questioned or Alphas dont like being told the truth!

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived