Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

4 minutes ago, X111 said:

your input shows your interest as both Mod and player and I speak for the majority in applauding it.

at least we are getting an input rather than a cattle round up. keep us on track but allow for more thought progression.

it is unfortunate that the criticism without structure is banded about instead of thought processing the entire thread and all inserts of information before forming keyboard warrior responses such as...

Sometimes it has to be done.. already posted on ark twitter +jat, jen and jeremy. Its the fact that if this is true, devs are leaking info to players while leaving everybody clueless. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw recently something being mentioned about improving server authentication tech.  Now I am not an IT person, nor a tech wiz, but that sounds to me like they are making sure duping is not going to be a thing anymore?  If so perhaps they might consider doing a wipe.  I believe this whole push for a wipe was largely due to exploits and duping anyway.  Considering that, maybe with the new tech they can also better find duped items and begin leveling the playing fields of cheaters regardless, as well as remove duped items from the game that they can't easily detect (if that is how it works?).  That is the only way I could see a wipe being useful though as they need to make sure duping is going to be much harder before they did any wipe.

Even after all of that we will be back to mega tribes and server wars regardless.  I also believe that any wipe if done will cause a massive uproar and potentially lost players due to time investment, but on the other hand there is no such thing as bad publicity too since plenty of sites might cover such an occurrence.  So you lose players, but on the other hand you also gain new people coming to the game and buying the game because they think they'll have a chance to build up (as well as others returning that already bought it).  Either way it'll be interesting to see how things play out.

24 minutes ago, Ssgsausagewiddles said:

Interesting Devs planning to wipe everything but not tell anyone till the last minute?

The thing is rather this is fake or not it is pretty evident that it will happen. Since they won't say it till last minute. Why on earth would they wait till the last minute to say no wipe? lol I don't see any scenario where they would need to wait for that or why they would have changed their stance in the first place. Seems crystal clear at this point 

1 minute ago, Volcano637 said:

The thing is rather this is fake or not it is pretty evident that it will happen. Since they won't say it till last minute. Why on earth would they wait till the last minute to say no wipe? lol I don't see any scenario where they would need to wait for that or why they would have changed their stance in the first place. Seems crystal clear at this point 

read the actual comments in the photos....

This not a black and white issue people there is something that can be done to appease both sides let's try and help come up with a solution like i said is there a downside to making more servers and have them on their own cluster? Yeah players will divide but that will help with the mass lag that is going on. Pros and cons anyone?

I put in a lot of hours in the first year but decided to quit when I heard rumours that the servers would be wiped prior to launch.  The only thing that tempted me back putting more time into the game prior to launch was the supposed news that a server wipe wouldnt be happening. Now that Ive put another load of time into the game the server wipe rumours are back and I feel totally let down by the news and can really find the motivation to keep going if its all for naught. Maybe ill play again when the game launches but starting again from scratch doesnt really interest me.Sure a server wipe may help clear out some of the mess prior to launch but a few months down the line from that the servers will be in the exact same state they are in now.

1 minute ago, OGCookies said:

This not a black and white issue people there is something that can be done to appease both sides let's try and help come up with a solution like i said is there a downside to making more servers and have them on their own cluster? Yeah players will divide but that will help with the mass lag that is going on. Pros and cons anyone?

Yep. I have said before as long as old server will NEVER be transferable to new servers then I would be fine with new servers. That is the only possible way.

some people come back with how about 3 months, 6 months or a year? Nope NEVER.

3 minutes ago, WindsweptDragon said:

I put in a lot of hours in the first year but decided to quit when I heard rumours that the servers would be wiped prior to launch.  The only thing that tempted me back putting more time into the game prior to launch was the supposed news that a server wipe wouldnt be happening. Now that Ive put another load of time into the game the server wipe rumours are back and I feel totally let down by the news and can really find the motivation to keep going if its all for naught. Maybe ill play again when the game launches but starting again from scratch doesnt really interest me.Sure a server wipe may help clear out some of the mess prior to launch but a few months down the line from that the servers will be in the exact same state they are in now.

I think it's far more likely they are going to do everything they can to combat duping and cheating rather than wiping all servers.  The only real reason for them to actually wipe the servers is if something game breaking is occuring and cannot otherwise be corrected except with a wipe.  If that is the case trust me even you will be begging for a wipe.

7 minutes ago, OGCookies said:

Yeah players will divide but that will help with the mass lag that is going on. Pros and cons anyone?

I'm convinced the mass lag is the quality of their equipment and connections and has precious little to do with the number of people on the system.  I also suspect that it may have to with the way they have implemented redraw and crosstalk between the server and the system.

Caveat I'm on Xbone here.

I regularly maintain latency to BF1 servers in the low teens; furthermore, my connection there is always rock solid with no more than 2% variation. For NA Ark servers I usually see latency around 65-70 with spikes up to 150 or more.  That's got to be their connection crapping out...

2 minutes ago, WindsweptDragon said:

That's the good part though. It will take months. And the time it takes to get to that point will he really fun for everyone. I know people want to keep their stuff but I believe it is all for the greater good, for everyone 

7 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

damn dude... that actually makes alotta sense, they have to make a decision on this and communicate it pronto!

spoopy.png

46 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Agreed, only reason I'm not playing now is because the devs won't confirm. Until they do I see no use in playing since it would be official not dedi.

The fact that they don't want to say it straight - no wipe - makes me think they gonna wipe it on release.

Two months ago I was 100% sure no wipe. Too many people would be angry I thought. But the way the game is right now, everyone is angry because this game is so broken - changes they made recently and so on.

So yeah.. don't bother people.

1 minute ago, Chewytowel said:

Don't understand what this means?  Are you telling me to kill myself?  And no I don't think they wipe every server nor themselves daily/weekly at all.

I was joking, Thats a song that one of those tribes use in their youtube videos for their intro when they are wiping people.

Just now, Chewytowel said:

What does your group think about a wipe? Or did you already post in this huge thread?

I posted earlier but I will go over it again and cover some ideas they all had.  Most of us are Pro-Wipe, some of us are Anti-Wipe.  I think I a wipe is needed to get rid of all these duped items and "God Rexes" that exist.  Many people in this thread have had really good ideas, so I am at a loss on what will actually happen.  I think the low pop servers could be wiped and used at launch, or they will just wipe them all.  Either way I would say about 70% of my tribe will be starting fresh regardless of what happens. 

We are just really excited for launch a lot of our friends will be coming back to join us who left for various reasons during the EA period.

I was thinking and just realized that ragnarok hasn't even came out on consoles yet. So even if they did announce a wipe anytime soon, consoles players might stop playing the normal maps, but they will definitely be trying to get on the new ragnarok map. Mainly to find out the best building spots/resource spawns/tame griffons and ice wyverns. So I seriously doubt people on consoles will stop playing anytime soon since they have more content coming.

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived