Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

7 hours ago, dentrue said:

The fact that the Studio leaves us hanging with its decision only to prevent the impending poopstorm right before launch if it really pulls this thing off is, I think, one of the major problems.

Most people (well - at least I do) dont know whether to play or not to. If I knew there would be a wipe, I'd certainly be upset and stop playing. No point for me in taming or building or even cooking one silly kibble if I knew in 2 months everything is gone. But the very situation with WC holding back it's final decision makes it clear to me that they already decided to wipe and keep this information to themselfes only to prevent a massive outrage on forums where all the dirty laundry will be dug up and thrown in their face.

Not only that it intentionally betrayed its playerbase by taking away what they paid up to 50 bugs for, but there would be no communication with the studio, tickets unattented to, no server supervising, no customer support whatsoever, no cheating and exploit protextion.

ALL THESE THINGS will flood the forums whether they are true or not only to harm the game.

It's up to wildcard whether they risk their game demolished by

1. angry EA-Players who got stripped off their efford,

2. angry new Players who (apparentelly) don't find a place to build (its a cute reason - and the only one imh - for people who demand a wipe)

or

simply stop swirling around, put new servers online and everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - is happy.

Last will cost money.

The first two will cost a lot more.

Less than 2 months, 50 days and counting. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol just because a wipe gets announced doesn't mean everyone will stop playing. 

It just means all the servers are extinction servers for a while, instead of getting negative and quitting make fun from the situation,  use all the animals you have and go wipe some tribes, wear your best gear to raid, it would be fun to fight massive wars with all your best Dinos and not care about winning or losing for a change. It might be a fun month before the wipe hits to blow off steam and practice pvp. Then when the wipe hits back to business as usual build up and carry on. 

49 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

See there you go. You actually made sense. I like how you said you won't build anymore until release. That is why they are waiting till very close to the release to give an official decision. If they tell people they will wipe right now then people won't be able to have fun and just not okay until aug 8th.

if I were you I would copy this comment and put it into the server wipe thread that will be right below this one. They currently only want one wipe thread so this one my get deleted. If they merge it don't worry because your comment can still be heard though.

to recap, no official decision has been made

Incorrect. An official announcement was made in very clear and definitive language. If it turns out this statement was nothing but a lie, the s*** storm that will follow will make the "paid dlc" ordeal pale in comparison.

“Alright then, I’ve thought a lot about this, read a lot of commentary on the subject, and understand the time players have been putting into the game. Here is the final word on the matter: we will not be wiping the Official Servers on ARK’s release (and as mentioned, we will do everything in our power to ever avoid wiping — we all felt the sting from the launch duping bug all too well). We will keep existing active Official Servers as they are post-ship — no wipe — though at ship we may at our discretion re-purpose certain empty or near-empty Official Servers with 1 month prior warning (we’ll provide archives to data of such servers if anyone wishes to re-host). New Servers will be ADDED to help accommodate new players at that time; we can afford it.

“We take the time players put into the game seriously, and we want to reward them for that. The reward is having a permanent impact on your ARK, simple as that.”

4 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

I don't even understand the reasons people actually want a wipe and how they feel it will benefit the game 

simple. they want to see all big tribes wiped... calling that equal chances if everyone has to start new.

what they don´t get is, that if these people do not quit after a wipe, they will very likely get back to old strenght. set up new pillars and foundations and block critical spots again. there is just no use in a wipe.
i actually don´t care if there is a wipe or not... but i think that a wipe will make no difference.(ok.. maybe chinese have to start over on their own and not with bred creatures, that some salty manchild gave to them....)

I wanted to start a tread for people to list the pros and cons of a wipe and see if it would actually be a bad idea or not. 

I myself can't see any benefit of a wipe with x2 experience ( probably be x3 weekend on release day)  and transfers enabled. I don't see it changing much that would benefit anyone.

So list pro wipe and cons for a wipe below 

Con 1 people would lose loads of time and effort and many may actually leave all together like with the flyer nerf

Con 2 with everyone knowing each other on the server and boosted xp it will only be 2 weeks until all the tribes in the alliance are back to the same strength more or less,  I'm guessing most will build the same style Base on the same spot as before

Con 3 . Trolls who are used to building up rockets on a raft and server hopping will have a field day wiping all the new bases of people trying to rebuild,  

Con 4 alphas will be more hostile 

Con 5 new players will quit,  no one will let them build due to the wipe.

Con 6 no one will trust anyone they don't already know incase undercover troll or someone they wiped before so new players are not getting in tribes.

If you can add any more it would be appreciated. 

Pro:  You literally have nothing to lose.

Pro:  You have less crap to take care of.  

Pro:  You can go play other games without worrying about losing your stuff.

Pro:  You get to learn how they likely did it and try to improve, thus becoming a better player and more experienced in return. If you learn you become stronger, better, faster just like the 6 million dollar man.  

Pro: You can learn how to recover, if it's even worth rebuilding, and potentially open new opportunities by finding better servers that open new doors.

Pro: You no longer are a slave to a megatribe and can stop treating the game like a job?

5 minutes ago, Chewytowel said:

Pro:  You literally have nothing to lose.

Pro:  You have less crap to take care of.  

Pro:  You can go play other games without worrying about losing your stuff.

Pro:  You get to learn how they likely did it and try to improve, thus becoming a better player and more experienced in return. If you learn you become stronger, better, faster just like the 6 million dollar man.  

Pro: You can learn how to recover, if it's even worth rebuilding, and potentially open new opportunities by finding better servers that open new doors.

Pro: You no longer are a slave to a megatribe and can stop treating the game like a job?

All very good pros. I am driving right now but I will be on later to give a lot more for the list

37 minutes ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

There are *some* servers that need a wipe like PvE servers that are littered with rafts and pillars, but the vast majority do not. 

Pillar update will fix that for the most part unless tribes put considerable effort into minimizing resource despawn while trying to block building in those areas. 

1 hour ago, ArkRage said:

It'd just be nice to have everything fresh, new and legit. 

It would only be fresh for one day,  and even by the end of that day your wood or maybe stone Hut will get raided by a lvl 35 on a ptera with grenades,  or a raft full of angry ex alphas will bum rush your Base. 

It's not even like the map would be unspoilt,  remember the first days of the centre,  thatch n wood ruins everywhere,  people spam foundations to level,  there would be less spots to build than on a server dominated by an alpha alliance,  after a few days on our fresh centre server we had to go around clearing foundations just to get dinos to spawn.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Chewytowel said:

Oh wait I thought this was about getting wiped on a server not the constant questions about server wipes that were addressed over a year ago (the dev's said no)... nvm.

There were extinction servers but they were literally dead...  I wonder why?

The only reason Extinction servers are dead is because they forced them all to use PGM. That is the only reason they are dead, nothing to do with the wiping.

As I said in another thread, I strongly believe that WC tries to wind itself out of all statements they made against a server wipe from a year back.

There is an obvious reason why PVP-Servers call out for a wipe. Only to establish balance (whatever) for like a month until the old power structures established again.

But it's hard for them to wipe the PVE servers due to there is no halfway acceptable reason for it. People only mimimi for not being able to build everywhere they want on an already full server. Thats it. But WC seems to try to outsmart the community by deliberatelly implementing an update that led to the downfall of most PVE-Servers none the less.

Im talking about this horrific pillar-update which's only effect was to systematically destroy entire landscapes and completelly obliterated a servers ressource economy.

I sure hope they didn't do that for this particular reason but it sure looks like they're actively searching for an excuse to rewind their earlier statements not to wipe servers.

Now all they need to do is to wait another 1 or two weeks to speak out to the community:

"oops... we... erm... yeah... it kinda didnÄt work out as we planned it to. Well... most PVE maps are a complete desaster. We COULD just erase all lone pillars but we kinda made it that everyone was forced to place a spawn blocking structure above 'em, so the only way we can get this straight again is to completelly raze all structures. That sure sucks... but hey! You brought this on yourself! We didn't force you to exploit our changes in the game!"

I'm telling you. If this will be the official reason for a PVE-wipe, WC cowardly provoked it rather than just pulling its poop together.

Will server wipes help WC sell more copies of the game and make more money = not guaranteed.

Will server wipes hurt WC causing thousands of people to quit, and making those players leave horrible feedback and hurt sales and any future games & DLC they make = GUARANTEED.

Pretty sure they don't want to lose money or potential future sales.

34 minutes ago, dentrue said:

As I said in another thread, I strongly believe that WC tries to wind itself out of all statements they made against a server wipe from a year back.

There is an obvious reason why PVP-Servers call out for a wipe. Only to establish balance (whatever) for like a month until the old power structures established again.

But it's hard for them to wipe the PVE servers due to there is no halfway acceptable reason for it. People only mimimi for not being able to build everywhere they want on an already full server. Thats it. But WC seems to try to outsmart the community by deliberatelly implementing an update that led to the downfall of most PVE-Servers none the less.

Im talking about this horrific pillar-update which's only effect was to systematically destroy entire landscapes and completelly obliterated a servers ressource economy.

I sure hope they didn't do that for this particular reason but it sure looks like they're actively searching for an excuse to rewind their earlier statements not to wipe servers.

Now all they need to do is to wait another 1 or two weeks to speak out to the community:

"oops... we... erm... yeah... it kinda didnÄt work out as we planned it to. Well... most PVE maps are a complete desaster. We COULD just erase all lone pillars but we kinda made it that everyone was forced to place a spawn blocking structure above 'em, so the only way we can get this straight again is to completelly raze all structures. That sure sucks... but hey! You brought this on yourself! We didn't force you to exploit our changes in the game!"

I'm telling you. If this will be the official reason for a PVE-wipe, WC cowardly provoked it rather than just pulling its poop together.

That's why I use the words writing on the wall. Over the past year they have been making a lot of changes. And they are all for a reason. Cross ark, limited new maps, experimental servers, the flyer nerf, fixing pillars on pve. Very covertly hinting things. Everything has a reason behind it.

the thing is ark is 2 years old and it is getting old. Don't be surprised if ark is almost completely different by the time the release comes. All of these changes were experiments. I can't believe people thought it would stay the same

EDIT: totally forgot about cross platform play. Yes definitely another reason for the wipe. That would be a good experience to start that new and fresh 

14 minutes ago, Paneross said:

Will server wipes help WC sell more copies of the game and make more money = not guaranteed.

Will server wipes hurt WC causing thousands of people to quit, and making those players leave horrible feedback and hurt sales and any future games & DLC they make = GUARANTEED.

Pretty sure they don't want to lose money or potential future sales.

But wait, everyone says the alphas will build back up in a week. How can they do that if thousands of people leave? 

Its either or not both. Both simply can't happen lol

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived