Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

It's not just wiping though. It's getting rid of some of the players that get into those big tribes in the first place. They are just not needed anymore. They spent so much time ruining everyone else's that it would be good if they left.

the game will be a lot better once they leave

Half of the population leaves with a negative feedback on steam. I do believe you're right, must be good for the game. Atleast no one else have to get brain tumor from this xD 

2 minutes ago, Meowsaurus said:

Half of the population leaves with a negative feedback on steam. I do believe you're right, must be good for the game. Atleast no one else have to get brain tumor from this  

Unfortunately I don't think it will be half. Sad face.

i have never looked at feedback before buying a game and most people don't either.

trailers and game critics is what I pay attention to. I just downloaded ark one day and was glad I did.

there are a little too many players right now for my taste anyway. We gotta make room for the new players 

10 minutes ago, ZyraSeedling said:

Honestly, I have restarted this game from scratch 3 times. By choice. Started playing about a month after it came out as early access. Always enjoyable, a wipe should not be a huge deal IMO.

Exactly. Replay ability. I have also started over many times. Very fun. Some people are just lazy

1 hour ago, Lucifina said:

I would bet a large portion of the player base that has been here for long term (let's say over a year) would be done with the game if they wipe. I sometimes feel that I play the game because I play the game... LoL does that make sense to anyone else? The new dino's and maps keep it interesting but starting over... no way its almost like if they wipe they give me a reason to move onto something new.

Unless you've done it then you're really just guessing.  I played on my first server for about 6 months before deciding to start again on another.  It felt like a hard decision but the second you grab that stone pick and start working towards a thatch shack you remember how much fun the game was before it became a dino feeding simulator.

On unofficial restarting is just BAU, but it's actually fun when you don't do it all that often.

14 minutes ago, ZyraSeedling said:

Honestly, I have restarted this game from scratch 3 times. By choice. Started playing about a month after it came out as early access. Always enjoyable, a wipe should not be a huge deal IMO.

I've probably been wiped in various forms about 15-20 times over the last 2 years. I'm a very aggressive PVP player so it goes with the territory. Over time you accept its part of the game and adapt, build smarter and learn where to place key assets around the map.

I do find it funny that there are people on here threatening to quit the game if servers are wiped. Apart from the PVE types I presume the others have been playing sim city on PVP servers and probably allied up to every other tribe on the server for the last few years.

Just now, Volcano637 said:

i have never looked at feedback before buying a game and most people don't either.

trailers and game critics is what I pay attention to. I just downloaded ark one day and was glad I did.

there are a little too many players right now for my taste anyway. We gotta make room for the new players 

Sorry to break it to you but the whole world Arent filled with mirrors of you. No one really cares that you think there's too many players for your taste, and I bet WC would rather have more players than few players.

1 minute ago, Volcano637 said:

Exactly. Replay ability. I have also started over many times. Very fun. Some people are just lazy

Go restart from scratch multiple times not using trade forum and do all the bosses on hard mode solo. Please then go tell me you want a wipe.

2 minutes ago, Smash said:

Unless you've done it then you're really just guessing.  I played on my first server for about 6 months before deciding to start again on another.  It felt like a hard decision but the second you grab that stone pick and start working towards a thatch shack you remember how much fun the game was before it became a dino feeding simulator.

On unofficial restarting is just BAU, but it's actually fun when you don't do it all that often.

I've had to restart 3 times since I started once because of being on a server full of trolls :-( the other two have been very quick after a short time on a servers that I didn't like. It is fun... but requires a crap load of time to get where I (probably we) want to be so I am comfortable. I'm not starting again and I'm sure I'm not alone.

2 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

I've had to restart 3 times since I started once because of being on a server full of trolls :-( the other two have been very quick after a short time on a servers that I didn't like. It is fun... but requires a crap load of time to get where I (probably we) want to be so I am comfortable. I'm not starting again and I'm sure I'm not alone.

What exactly is a server troll in your books? A player that does PVP on a PVP server?

31 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

It's not just wiping though. It's getting rid of some of the players that get into those big tribes in the first place. They are just not needed anymore. They spent so much time ruining everyone else's that it would be good if they left.

the game will be a lot better once they leave

+1, these hypocrites whine and cry about losing so much, as if they haven't done it to other people hundreds of times. Often its wyverns wiping stone hut tribes with raptors and pteras too. Good riddance

1 minute ago, BulletForce said:

What exactly is a server troll in your books? A player that does PVP on a PVP server?

No not at all I'm strictly PvE A troll is someone who would kite titans or gigas to peoples base just because their walls weren't high enough to stop the carnage... or build behemoth gates around some new persons small base just to be well a Troll I helped move someone that had this happen to them. No reason the two big tribes did this to everyone new or old they enjoyed it I guess so I left to find better neighbors/server mates. 

On PvP servers you can lose everything at any point (I think) so getting wiped either by the admins or by a hostile tribe seems kinda standard (or at least possible at any point) I'm not good/large enough to ever be able to survive on PvP.  If you play PvP (and I assume you do) I assume you have destroyed peoples bases and probably have been destroyed by others. I bet you love the competition that's why you play it :-)

3400 hours in on PVE Official, multiple bases built on multiple servers, and several months into breeding projects - If there's a wipe, I'm out. There's no replacing the work we've put in.  Even speculating about a server wipe makes me nauseous.  

Would Wildcard consider saving current servers and isolating them into Legacy clusters? I would even subscribe - maybe 4.99 a month - to keep what we've created, built, tamed, and bred. No new players can join, but server residents can provide a join code. I'm not a programmer and I'm not sure about logistics, and I know ARK will need available servers upon full release. However, it would just be a real shame to leave all alpha players in the dust.

17 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Just because you don't read feedback doesn't mean others won't either. Many people do, especially when you are shelling out $60 for a game.

And if you think there's too many players you always have the option of playing a private server. Then you won't encounter that problem. The point of playing on a PVE official server in part is forming a community. In order to do that you need a decent player base. Yes, sometimes it can get crowded, but half the fun for me is helping new folks. Many on my servers have areas pillared off but if a new player is courteous and asks nicely in global there are many who will help this player find a decent place to get set up and give them supplies to get them started. It's only when they open a new DLC map *coughRagnarokcough* and have too few servers for the player base that you run into a problem with too many players on a server. The number of servers to players for this DLC was ridiculous, poorly thought out, and has caused nothing but bad feelings toward the developer. Adding a wipe at launch will only add to those feelings and be reflected not only in the player reviews but also will be noted by the industy people reviewing the game. Industry-wise it is a small community and professionals take note of such things.

Just now, CaptoBraunch said:

+1, these hypocrites whine and cry about losing so much, as if they haven't done it to other people hundreds of times. Often its wyverns wiping stone hut tribes with raptors and pteras too. Good riddance

Legit when you're that cocky to say other people whine and cry about losing their poop if a whipe comes I cant think of anything else to say than: Right now I only see you crying.

I'm talking PvE for no wipe. But if your only reason to there should be a wipe for pvp people is that you're getting farmed by others, most likely PvP isn't a place for you. Sorry to break it to you but poop happens in PvP.

5 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

No not at all I'm strictly PvE A troll is someone who would kite titans or gigas to peoples base just because their walls weren't high enough to stop the carnage... or build behemoth gates around some new persons small base just to be well a Troll I helped move someone that had this happen to them. No reason the two big tribes did this to everyone new or old they enjoyed it I guess so I left to find better neighbors/server mates. 

On PvP servers you can lose everything at any point (I think) so getting wiped either by the admins or by a hostile tribe seems kinda standard (or at least possible at any point) I'm not good/large enough to ever be able to survive on PvP.  If you play PvP (and I assume you do) I assume you have destroyed peoples bases and probably have been destroyed by others. I bet you love the competition that's why you play it :-)

I've seen a lot of PVE types like yourself that read a few bad things about the PVP side of the game and never even attempt to give it a try. It is true there are nasty players on Official PVP servers that will kill you on site (I'll admit I'm one of them) but the current structure of Officials with the mega alliances is actually a good climate for PVE players like yourself to make the switch. Things are very controlled because you have these alliances that control probably up to 200 servers now on which there is very little PVP and its basically PVE mode except you can blow up your neighours foundations that are blocking your metal spawns.

If I were you'd I join any one of the numerous Official servers and try and get in one of the big tribes. When your in one of these big tribes with 30+ members it will feel exactly like PVE mode trust me. You farm, you build, you farm some more, you do the boss fight, you make another base, you breed more dinos and so on. You might be in that tribe for 3 months and never once be even attacked. It's a good time to give it a shot.

3 minutes ago, catnip said:

Just because you don't read feedback doesn't mean others won't either. Many people do, especially when you are shelling out $60 for a game.

And if you think there's too many players you always have the option of playing a private server. Then you won't encounter that problem. The point of playing on a PVE official server in part is forming a community. In order to do that you need a decent player base. Yes, sometimes it can get crowded, but half the fun for me is helping new folks. Many on my servers have areas pillared off but if a new player is courteous and asks nicely in global there are many who will help this player find a decent place to get set up and give them supplies to get them started. It's only when they open a new DLC map *coughRagnarokcough* and have too few servers for the player base that you run into a problem with too many players on a server. The number of servers to players for this DLC was ridiculous, poorly thought out, and has caused nothing but bad feelings toward the developer. Adding a wipe at launch will only add to those feelings and be reflected not only in the player reviews but also will be noted by the industy people reviewing the game. Industry-wise it is a small community and professionals take note of such things.

That's absolutely correct "don't read the review"? I find that questionable. I travel a lot I almost always stay at a particular brand of hotel (for those reward points) but I read the review about the hotel before I ever book a room heck it could be a dump and I've been saved several times by bad reviews that I read so I stayed elsewhere. IMO most read reviews and at a minimum are aware of a games reputation.

3 minutes ago, BulletForce said:

I've seen a lot of PVE types like yourself that read a few bad things about the PVP side of the game and never even attempt to give it a try. It is true there are nasty players on Official PVP servers that will kill you on site (I'll admit I'm one of them) but the current structure of Officials with the mega alliances is actually a good climate for PVE players like yourself to make the switch. Things are very controlled because you have these alliances that control probably up to 200 servers now on which there is very little PVP and its basically PVE mode except you can blow up your neighours foundations that are blocking your metal spawns.

If I were you'd I join any one of the numerous Official servers and try and get in one of the big tribes. When your in one of these big tribes with 30+ members it will feel exactly like PVE mode trust me. You farm, you build, you farm some more, you do the boss fight, you make another base, you breed more dinos and so on. You might be in that tribe for 3 months and never once be even attacked. It's a good time to give it a shot.

I may just surprise myself and give it a shot I don't mind competition although I would probably cry if I had my base with all my poor tames wiped off the map though LoL

5 minutes ago, BulletForce said:

If that is the case then what is the point in playing PvP if you are only going to essentially play PVE mode on that server. Also many who play PVE either don't have the time many large tribes require of their members, or prefer playing with a smaller group of individuals. Larger tribes often have more drama from my experience, no matter whether it is PVP or PVE

3 minutes ago, Pilate72 said:

3400 hours in on PVE Official, multiple bases built on multiple servers, and several months into breeding projects - If there's a wipe, I'm out. There's no replacing the work we've put in.  Even speculating about a server wipe makes me nauseous.  

Would Wildcard consider saving current servers and isolating them into Legacy clusters? I would even subscribe - maybe 4.99 a month - to keep what we've created, built, tamed, and bred. No new players can join, but server residents can provide a join code. I'm not a programmer and I'm not sure about logistics, and I know ARK will need available servers upon full release. However, it would just be a real shame to leave all alpha players in the dust.

Just hit 2,000 hours myself. I've restarted on official three times already and I'm not doing it again. I did not lose sleep for 10 days to 100% imprint two gigas just to have it be wiped not even 2 months into me being able to use it. I did not spend 2,000 hours learning the game and building on what I, my friends and new people we've met along the line have created for it to disappear. 

WildCard Studio, you need to realize how much blood, sweat and tears this community has put into the game. Yes, it's an alpha game and things will happen and people shouldn't get attached, but it's been two year. TWO YEARS. I've never heard of a game having a two year alpha period, let alone a game of this magnitude. It's one thing to alpha/beta test a Call of Duty game where you'll have your levels/gear unlocks wiped but to have stuff like colour/stat enhanced dinos, months worth of breeding (something that is nowhere near as easy to acquire like levels in Call of Duty) just disappear, after this amount of time (you even said you weren't wiping!! The head of your team made an official statement! And you're considering going back on that for crying out loud!), is ridiculous and absurd.

You cannot expect the CORE group of players (the ones with thousands of hours, handing out references for the game, getting new players to play, keeping the population of servers up) to lose EVERYTHING they've worked so hard for over the past 2 years and expect them to just "be okay with it". It's been two years of testing and assisting in fine tuning your game with bug reports, suggestions, discussions and even arguments to get this game to what it's become today. There's still a long way to go for this game to be perfect, and you're wanting to try and achieve that by giving a giant middle finger to at bare minimum 40% of your player base. 

Please, at the very least allow us to keep items/dinos and amalgamate us into a smaller group of servers if you need the space/infrastructure. I'm confident most players would be okay to just relocate their base if they were able to keep their stock. Farming a new base isn't overly difficult and if anything is nowhere near as brutal as dinos/items. We've done so much for this game - you can't just delete all our progress after saying you wouldn't. That is BEYOND poor PR with your community. An astounding amount of faith/respect for WCS will be lost if you behave as such. Who wants to play a game where developers openly lie about their intentions. That is NOT how you keep a community together. This is how you lose your core player base that got you to where you are now.

There is no rhyme or reason as to why you can't let us have our own section of servers to keep what we've worked so hard for, and also have a cluster of servers separate to start off from scratch. Make both sides of the coin happy! I write this because I love what this game is capable of and how much joy it brings people like myself to work on goals and then reach them. It's a sense of accomplishment when you achieve something in a game like this, only to have it be deleted when there are alternatives.

~Nova

Just now, catnip said:

If that is the case then what is the point in playing PvP if you are only going to essentially play PVE mode on that server. Also many who play PVE either don't have the time many large tribes require of their members, or prefer playing with a smaller group of individuals. Larger tribes often have more drama from my experience, no matter whether it is PVP or PVE

I've never said I'm fond of the current situation but that's just how it is currently. I'm in one atm, because if you can't beat you might as well join it. Life inside one of these mega tribe's is pretty boring. The highlight of the week is basically doing the boss for the 20th time or doing a swamp cave run and getting some new ascendant BP that's better then the 50 other varieties you already have.

I would rather there be more PVP on the servers but currently the way the game is setup and the way the alliance system works, for big tribes its far less riskier being allied then being enemies. At the end of the day some of these bases and tribes have been around for over a year and they simply not willing to lose it all for the sake of PVP. So you have this current stalemate where no one really fights anyone at the higher end of the table.

A lot of you guys in here need the addiction hotline. 2k,3k, 4k hours into a early access beta/alpha???!!!??? 

You threaten, a wipe and I'm out. Wildcard doesn't care about your 4k hours on a game that could have never been released. Please, act like a wipe happened n just quit, go outside. Talk to people, become a early part of life again.

Sure for some a wipe would suck. Maybe for a lot, but I don't see why its so, black n white. Wipe or not. Like its your only two options. Use your head.

Again, make current servers their own cluster. Non transferable out of them. Bring in new servers that can't be transfered too.

Bottom line, a lot of people want a fresh start, a lot. A lot of people want things to stay as they are. A lot. So why not do both?

In ea games and betas. A wipe is common, very common, like I'm surprised you guys think it wouldn't be happening common.

On top of that, the arguement of "well they said they wouldn't". Ha. Hahahahaha. Just like they said they wouldn't allow transfers aside from the cluster servers? Which that move left a lot of people unprepared, and had alot of people get wiped. Huge chunks of players left.

Now people have duped items, Dino's they shouldn't have, a lot of stuff gotten from duping. The broken fishing rods. The list goes on. Yet people are all like...I made something shiny, lemme keep it. FFS people, let them wipe it all or push for keeping servers n adding new ones.

On 2/5/2017 at 10:04 AM, seXikanac said:

There will never be official launch. Game will be in permanent Early Access until majority of people stop playing. So no wipe of official servers

Was just wondering if you still had the same thought?

I'm down for repurposed servers and a chance for a fresh start on those.

21 minutes ago, CriD said:

A lot of you guys in here need the addiction hotline. 2k,3k, 4k hours into a early access beta/alpha???!!!??? 

You threaten, a wipe and I'm out. Wildcard doesn't care about your 4k hours on a game that could have never been released. Please, act like a wipe happened n just quit, go outside. Talk to people, become a early part of life again.

Sure for some a wipe would suck. Maybe for a lot, but I don't see why its so, black n white. Wipe or not. Like its your only two options. Use your head.

Again, make current servers their own cluster. Non transferable out of them. Bring in new servers that can't be transfered too.

Bottom line, a lot of people want a fresh start, a lot. A lot of people want things to stay as they are. A lot. So why not do both?

In ea games and betas. A wipe is common, very common, like I'm surprised you guys think it wouldn't be happening common.

On top of that, the arguement of "well they said they wouldn't". Ha. Hahahahaha. Just like they said they wouldn't allow transfers aside from the cluster servers? Which that move left a lot of people unprepared, and had alot of people get wiped. Huge chunks of players left.

Now people have duped items, Dino's they shouldn't have, a lot of stuff gotten from duping. The broken fishing rods. The list goes on. Yet people are all like...I made something shiny, lemme keep it. FFS people, let them wipe it all or push for keeping servers n adding new ones.

It's not a beta it's a game we've paid for. Even paid for dlc it's a lot different than your three days of call of duty beta. The best answer is new servers for those that want to start over. Jeremy has even said they will just add new servers at launch "cause they can afford them" why is this topic still alive

6 minutes ago, Shawn73801 said:

It's not a beta it's a game we've paid for. Even paid for dlc it's a lot different than your three days of call of duty beta. The best answer is new servers for those that want to start over. Jeremy has even said they will just add new servers at launch "cause they can afford them" why is this topic still alive

Are you from Xbox? It's not a beta? Sorry I ment early access. Paying money doesn't mean its done, buying dlc doesn't either. Please stop with those tired arguments. 

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived