Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

47 minutes ago, GP said:

I'm not silencing anyone here. I told you in your thread the video you linked to was already being discussed in this thread plenty of times, so yes before you posted the video again, in this thread you already knew it was in this thread because I told you it was.

No-one is being silenced whatsoever.

Still missing my point though. The possibilty of a wipe was said by a dev, during an e3 interview and yet you say its not important enough to sticky or to get a new thread on it specifically? This thread was started a long time ago and you cant expect the masses to go through pages and pages of text to discover one piece of extremely important info. Either this is completely over your head or you are only trying to call me out on some dumb error in my haste to get this info out to a larger audience.

I am just trying to help the poor people who arent aware of it, because you want to stuff this into a thread that most people arent really looking at.

It needs to be stickied. It is an important announcement. I don't understand why you don't see that. But I am don trying now as it won't be my fault when you have to delete/close the hundreds of new threads from the unaware when and if the wipe is announced to be happening. I made my noise, now I will make my peace.

Side note, I have over 4k hours on official pve and I am pro-wipe. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
33 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

Still missing my point though. The possibilty of a wipe was said by a dev, during an e3 interview and yet you say its not important enough to sticky or to get a new thread on it specifically? This thread was started a long time ago and you cant expect the masses to go through pages and pages of text to discover one piece of extremely important info. Either this is completely over your head or you are only trying to call me out on some dumb error in my haste to get this info out to a larger audience.

I am just trying to help the poor people who arent aware of it, because you want to stuff this into a thread that most people arent really looking at.

It needs to be stickied. It is an important announcement. I don't understand why you don't see that. But I am don trying now as it won't be my fault when you have to delete/close the hundreds of new threads from the unaware when and if the wipe is announced to be happening. I made my noise, now I will make my peace.

Side note, I have over 4k hours on official pve and I am pro-wipe. 

As I said the only thing in regards to news around wipes that would be stickied would likely be an official announcement by Wildcard themselves.

8 hours ago, GP said:

Wiping isn't just about competition. PVE has some very good communities on servers that have built massive communal structures and stuff where people actually have a lot of fun during the time they have available to actually play ARK. So yes a lot of people care about PVE because they understand what PVE actually means. Don't disregard other peoples concerns just because you don't care about PVE.

Noted, i carried my disdain for the poster into my pve comment. I meant to say, pve doesn't need to be wiped because there isn't quite the glaring dictatorship problem ruining everyones experience. Every single pvp server, soon as you join and say "hi guys" you're met with a "get out of my server or we'll do a purge". Usually some 40-man alliance with countless duped wyverns and gigas, golems, battle quetzes etc. And god forbid they find you before you've made contact. Sorry, but nothing you've ever dealt with on PVE is that cancerous or gamebreaking so sorry if i seemed overly dismissive of a PVE wipe debate.

I understand these status quos will inevitably return after a wipe, but the people who waited for a finished game to pay 60 bucks should have at least ONE chance to start at the same line as all the filth. I know thats all i need.

1 hour ago, GP said:

As I said the only thing in regards to news around wipes that would be stickied would likely be an official announcement by Wildcard themselves.

"Official announcement by wildcard"

I dont see how a dev saying it at E3 is not official enough to let the players know that thousands of hours of work could be wiped out in the near future. Yeah its early access, but we all know well how loss works with Ark, and this is the ultimate loss. You know thousands and thousands of players are going to freak out when and if it does happen, why not let the people who pay wildcards wages know something like that in advance?

I'm not trying to start a fight here, but it is disheartening to know that this is being swept under the rug.

6 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

I dont see how a dev saying it at E3 is not official enough to let the players know that thousands of hours of work could be wiped out in the near future. Yeah its early access, but we all know well how loss works with Ark, and this is the ultimate loss. You know thousands and thousands of players are going to freak out when and if it does happen, why not let the people who pay wildcards wages know something like that in advance?

I'm not trying to start a fight here, but it is disheartening to know that this is being swept under the rug.

I hate to agree with Gp, dude seems like an a**, but all they say in the video is that it's undecided...so a sticky for an official answer of "undecided" seems stupid.

4 minutes ago, Painted said:

I hate to agree with Gp, dude seems like an a**, but all they say in the video is that it's undecided...so a sticky for an official answer of "undecided" seems stupid.

Its not stupid when the majority of the players still think there will never be a wipe. But to GP it looks like everyone knows because its all swept into this thread that only a smaller group of people are looking at.

"Undecided" is a far cry from the "no wipe, ever" post on steam forums that was made forever ago.

But I guess I'm a jerk for trying to inform my fellow Ark players about this possibility when WC cannot or doesn't want to do it themselves. 

Have some compassion for the customers and we will have compassion for WC.

I'm at work on my break so forgive me for not having read every post. ( in case someone already mentioned this). You can skip to the end of my post as well to see my final thoughts. I'm not in favor of a wipe, and yes I play PVE.   My tribe is a simple two man tribe. We accomplish what we can with the limited amount of time either of us has to play and my tribe-mate has stated several times that he only still plays because I do. So basically I solo the game with rare assistance.  We've been on the same server since launch. (we got lucky I think, with a good server with good player...for the most part).  

My issue with the idea that a wipe is good (mostly talking PVE here) is that I'm not seeing any real fixes included.  Just a reset and restart.  Won't every single issue that everyone has mentioned on the pro-wipe side of the argument be revisited upon the servers once the players start playing again?  (with the exclusion of the duping that I'm assuming was patched, I'm pretty in the dark on that)  What's really being addressed with a server wipe?  Players like me will lose nearly 3k hours of game play.  And the big tribes and kids with plenty of free time will just start over.  I passed on buying scorch on principle because of all the bugs and wonky game mechanics that weren't yet addressed, in addition to not wanting to split my already limited time between 2 servers.  I've been pretty dedicated to my current game and have had no desire to start fresh over the years even when opportunity to join big tribes came my way.  For this reason if the servers were wiped i'd be among those who stopped playing, at no loss to WC or those players who continue playing. 

My thoughts on the matter are this. If we're wiping the servers to give new players an opportunity. Why not institute new servers that are somehow limited to new players for the first 100 days or something along those lines?  These new servers if implemented properly and not abused would contain only players who are genuinely new to the game.  Giving them the opportunity to play free of player who would otherwise dominate the map.  

• Volunteer Moderator
33 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

What Cedric said in that video is not an official announcement of anything. I'm sure an announcement will come, but nothing is being swept under the rug. Fact is there is no definite decision announced yet, so it could go either way I guess. But its rather pointless making accusations that you are being silenced and things are being swept under the rug when you are all free to post in this thread as you are doing.

I am fairly new to the game and have only played on a local server, reached level 72 so far with no cheat codes.  This is just my opinion, not trying to flame or disrespect anyone.  Why wouldn't they do a complete wipe when releasing the full game?  I'm sure the intent is to bring in as many new players as possible and  have a level playing field, especially considering that they are launching with the X.  I understand that may players have thousands of hours into their build and feel like that wouldn't be fair, but I think if you look at the bigger picture that is what they are going to do.

18 hours ago, IntoDarkness said:

ARK Lead Designer, Lead Programmer, Development Director, Co-Creative Director, Co-Founder"

I think Jat meant to say "we won't wipe without good reason during EA": It's always been the plan to wipe at ship when we leave EA; IIRC we mentioned that when EA first released but it's been such a blur maybe it actually wasn't clarified then! Anyhow, now we're clear :)
-Jeremy

So there will be a reset?

5 minutes ago, RazerX said:

I am fairly new to the game and have only played on a local server, reached level 72 so far with no cheat codes.  This is just my opinion, not trying to flame or disrespect anyone.  Why wouldn't they do a complete wipe when releasing the full game?  I'm sure the intent is to bring in as many new players as possible and  have a level playing field, especially considering that they are launching with the X.  I understand that may players have thousands of hours into their build and feel like that wouldn't be fair, but I think if you look at the bigger picture that is what they are going to do.

The build is not the problem, they can wipe my whole base and reset me to lvl 1 if thats what they want.. However my dinos, that i've spent 9 hours sitting around for many days just staring at them ( rexes) for example. Wasnt easy... Maybe you can say 9 hrs isnt a lot but doing this so many times and you (HAVE) to get online every 13th hour to feed them again after that else they die is harsh in the length when you've done it 100 of times.. This is nothing you want to do again after.

43 minutes ago, Meowsaurus said:

So there will be a reset?

No, the list wasn't in chronological order. It should have been on the top. Thank you, fixing now.

The comment came from Jeremy replying to, 

People would literally raptorin go off on me claiming that Jat confirmed that they would not in fact wipe the servers without a good reason... they wouldn't even consider the release as a good enough reason... u wouldn't believe the hate and insults they threw my way, I might even go through my history and send every single one of them a link

which was talking about this post. 

I really think a wipe is the way to go, I really don't think we will get a wipe though. If you wipe you might piss of the long term alphas. And let's be real, those guys are practically guaranteed to get all the dlc, and someone who has never played Ark doesn't really know/care enough for it to impact them getting it and giving it a shot (Seriously? the trailers are raptoring cool.). From a fiscal point of a view a wipe is stupid, just throw up some new "isolated" servers on launch day and swim in the money like Scrooge Mcduck.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, dentrue said:

I personally play on a PVE-Server.

All evil pictures painted to serve as argument FOR a wipe don't make sense to me. The game experiences new players every day so why is it that there is always a discussion about how old players overwhelm new players by griefing and blocking them? It happens now. It will happen if you don't wipe. It will happen ONE WEEK after you wipe'd. There is no understandable fact that could convince me that a wipe on PVE-Servers will ever be possible. WC just has to pull it's poop together and find some solutions about pillarring and occupying large scales of terrain. That's all.

As for PVP; stating that alpha-tribes dominate new players is equally nonsense. New people are dominated now as they will be one week after a wipe. So there is no point in it either. And then again: I like to paraphrase something I read earlier: "Some alphatribes on PVP-Servers are very decent with good rules for everyone." It is, as you might think about it, some kind of patriarchy. A game-inherent economy. Look up EVE-Online for instence. It works.

I don't know what will happen to official servers.

But I do know what will happen if WC decides to destroy millions of hours of playtime of it's playerbase.

The entire game will be torn apart and ripped to shreds on Forums, on Reddit, on Steam and every other major platform by the majority of players who have spent hundreds and thousands of hours of their lifetime to build, construct, tame and helped WC improve their game in the first place.

I wonder how many copies they will sell when player-reviews condemn it to death due to one single not so smart choice.

Very true as I said before many of us would have stopped playing a year ago had we known there was going to be a wipe Jeremy stating that there would be NO WIPE is why many/most of us stayed. Even why many of my friends (and some of all yours maybe) decided to put up with all the "bugs" and start playing in the first place. If they decide to wipe I'm done so will my friends be and the reviews will pile up like the steaming pile of poop that the Developers words are. Once you trust someone and they lie to you you're never getting that trust back (from me anyway) Jeremy already started the fix for release was to repurpose low pop servers and to add more servers if they don't do this then final word is they are full of poop period. Saying a lot changes in a year is BS anyway a lot does change but if/when it changes you better address it not hold onto your "secret decisions" if 5 months ago they would have gone online and said Guys/Girls we have decided to change our statement and when this is completed we are going to wipe everything I wouldn't be happy but I'd damn sure respect that they told us they were going to do it and I would be OK with it (but still unhappy) I would have stopped playing and waited for the games final release to perhaps restart and I wouldn't rip them on reviews because they would have been honest with us. Yet after the announcement they still are dragging their feet in giving their hard working dedicated support base fans their final decision that we all know (yes you know they know what they are going to do already) they already know. If you go onto my server it is talked about quite a bit and most are extremely upset because of it... and almost all are anti-wipe we have a great PvE server that helps people get started and of course we have pillar issues but wiping isn't going to stop anyone from getting around that anyhow.

34 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

Very true as I said before many of us would have stopped playing a year ago had we known there was going to be a wipe Jeremy stating that there would be NO WIPE is why many/most of us stayed. Even why many of my friends (and some of all yours maybe) decided to put up with all the "bugs" and start playing in the first place. If they decide to wipe I'm done so will my friends be and the reviews will pile up like the steaming pile of poop that the Developers words are. Once you trust someone and they lie to you you're never getting that trust back (from me anyway) Jeremy already started the fix for release was to repurpose low pop servers and to add more servers if they don't do this then final word is they are full of poop period. Saying a lot changes in a year is BS anyway a lot does change but if/when it changes you better address it not hold onto your "secret decisions" if 5 months ago they would have gone online and said Guys/Girls we have decided to change our statement and when this is completed we are going to wipe everything I wouldn't be happy but I'd damn sure respect that they told us they were going to do it and I would be OK with it (but still unhappy) I would have stopped playing and waited for the games final release to perhaps restart and I wouldn't rip them on reviews because they would have been honest with us. Yet after the announcement they still are dragging their feet in giving their hard working dedicated support base fans their final decision that we all know (yes you know they know what they are going to do already) they already know. If you go onto my server it is talked about quite a bit and most are extremely upset because of it... and almost all are anti-wipe we have a great PvE server that helps people get started and of course we have pillar issues but wiping isn't going to stop anyone from getting around that anyhow.

And the fact that so many people would've quit playing if they made such an announcement is probably the main reason why they said there 'definitely' would not be a wipe. They'd lose valuable game data for breeding/taming/building/etc if they'd said they were definitely wiping. I've been involved in multiple Beta tests and in each instance it was stated from the start that there would be a wipe at launch. Then again those games did not require you to dedicate so much time to it, as you HAVE TO DO if you are breeding or taming certain animals. Do you honestly think beta testers would do what many PVE breeders have done knowing it would all be wiped. NO!! 

This is my first time playing an early access game, so I"m not sure if many of the early access games allow you to keep your progress. If many do then WildCard doing a wipe for launch will do nothing but anger the current player base and make it so no one will trust their word in the future. That lack of trust will come around to bite them in the behind the next time they release a game in early access.

And I don't buy the excuse that the final tweaks to the game might necessitate a wipe before launch. If that was the case they'd need to do so to the private servers and you can bet there'd be a landslide of negative responses from their paying player base...

3 minutes ago, catnip said:

And the fact that so many people would've quit playing if they made such an announcement is probably the main reason why they said there 'definitely' would not be a wipe. They'd lose valuable game data for breeding/taming/building/etc if they'd said they were definitely wiping. I've been involved in multiple Beta tests and in each instance it was stated from the start that there would be a wipe at launch. Then again those games did not require you to dedicate so much time to it, as you HAVE TO DO if you are breeding or taming certain animals. Do you honestly think beta testers would do what many PVE breeders have done knowing it would all be wiped. NO!! 

This is my first time playing an early access game, so I"m not sure if many of the early access games allow you to keep your progress. If many do then WildCard doing a wipe for launch will do nothing but anger the current player base and make it so no one will trust their word in the future. That lack of trust will come around to bite them in the behind the next time they release a game in early access.

You are exactly correct :-) other Beta's I have been involved with didn't require anything like the amount of time this game requires (but I do enjoy it so) and they also only lasted 30 to 90 days so it wasn't like you were going to invest 2 years into it anyway. These games were very clear all data would be wiped and you would be starting over at release The advantage was learning the maps or understanding some things in the games before you got going for real. You knew exactly what you were getting into when you started. A wipe isn't going to gain them any players all it will do is anger the base (not all of them) and destroy their reputation even if you are pro-wipe you have to understand (I think) that if the wipe anything they "officially state" in the future might just be a steaming pile of poop  too... Reputations are hard to build and easy to irreversibly damage.

57 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

I agree. I'm only still playing at this point because of all the time I've already put into the game. If they wipe the servers I'm not even sure I'd start over on single player, I'd pretty much be done with Ark.

1 minute ago, Thexone said:

I agree. I'm only still playing at this point because of all the time I've already put into the game. If they wipe the servers I'm not even sure I'd start over on single player, I'd pretty much be done with Ark.

I would bet a large portion of the player base that has been here for long term (let's say over a year) would be done with the game if they wipe. I sometimes feel that I play the game because I play the game... LoL does that make sense to anyone else? The new dino's and maps keep it interesting but starting over... no way its almost like if they wipe they give me a reason to move onto something new.

2 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

I would bet a large portion of the player base that has been here for long term (let's say over a year) would be done with the game if they wipe. I sometimes feel that I play the game because I play the game... LoL does that make sense to anyone else? The new dino's and maps keep it interesting but starting over... no way its almost like if they wipe they give me a reason to move onto something new.

It's not just the loss of those thousands of hours many have spent in game, it is more the sense of betrayal-at being told for over a year that no wipe would occur only to have that promise thrown in your face and stomped into the ground. If they wait until the last moment and then announce a wipe I will not only be leaving but letting my voice be heard regarding the treatment of the people taking part in Early Access.

5 hours ago, Painted said:

27 minutes talks about wipe red head says there was an email with an answer and she would confirm and let the mmohuts guys know.

Wow that was an awesome interview. Still no decision but it seems pretty clear to me on what's going on. 

I still think it is smart to wait till release to tell people about the wipe though. 

44 minutes ago, catnip said:

It's not just the loss of those thousands of hours many have spent in game, it is more the sense of betrayal-at being told for over a year that no wipe would occur only to have that promise thrown in your face and stomped into the ground. If they wait until the last moment and then announce a wipe I will not only be leaving but letting my voice be heard regarding the treatment of the people taking part in Early Access.

It's not just wiping though. It's getting rid of some of the players that get into those big tribes in the first place. They are just not needed anymore. They spent so much time ruining everyone else's that it would be good if they left.

the game will be a lot better once they leave

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived